The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar Update

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you have limited choices as a templar.

Focus on healing at a weaker state now and pretty much have that be it outside of using RD every now and then as an execute. Maybe spam dark flare if you find that fun. You stick to poor ranged spells while the melee ones mostly CC yourself while giving the enemy free immunity.

Go stamina, have your heals be *** but at least you can be a damage dealer even though everyone expects heals out of you. It really may at least be the best option of having the least broken stuff.

• Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Let me just check current Templar pvp balance:
    Jabs - now grants enemy CC immunity for free, so everyone ignore this skill. And not just that - change to passive direction attack, that means that for rooting templar impossible to use jabs.
    Auroa Javelin - increasing range damage is not working.
    Charge - everyone know about it as "pain in the ass", nothing to add.
    Blazing Spear - stun 1 target for 2 sec and granting CC immunity. When 30 men zerg attack this mean nothing to compare with sorc's streak.
    Sun Shield - to say seriously has only 1 morph. Radiant Ward should be changed to sorc version of shield.
    Reflective Light - sometimes don't deal damage to damage shields.
    Eclipse - broken and not usable in pvp coz mechanic anyway.
    Radiant Destruction - currently may cause unbreakable CC bug for templar.
    Practiced Incantation and co. - nerf from 0.5 sec affect to 1 sec.
    Honor the Dead - only 1 from 100 templars will use it, mana return still not stacking.
    Healing Ritual - c'mon just remove this skill, nothing will save it.
    Restoring Aura - not apply on caster but caster has 10% mana regen: u-s-e-l-e-s-s.
    Restoring Focus - addiion 8% heal from 15% previously. Now rune focus has 1 usable morph just like Sun Shield.
    ----
    Should i say in summary that in compare with overpowered sorcs half of templar skills are not usable or broken in pvp?
    No need to compare, though i have to say that this is pretty accurate.
    Half the skills became worse than what they were before the update (which was already below par compared to most other classes). Other skills, which the Templar used to be able to use, became unusable (Restoration staff healing bonus no longer applies to all heals). Currently the DK is a better healer, with its 30% healing done bonus.
    That should say a lot.

I'm currently using Healing Ritual to heal, not because its that much better than the Restoration staff heal, but because i DIDN'T BECOME A BLOODY TEMPLAR TO NOT USE MY HEALING TREE. Non of the Healing skills they have are any good as it is now. My Healing Ritual heals more than Honor the Dead (about double), and its a whole lot cheaper to use.

I think i got it pretty bad myself.
    Broken Race (Argonian), Broken Class (Templar). Basically a broken account.

(I made some suggestions for templars some time back, link is in my Signature, for those who are interested.)
    Mending-The-Wounded, Aldmeri Dominion, Templar.
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭

Jabs - now grants enemy CC immunity for free, so everyone ignore this skill. And not just that - change to passive direction attack, that means that for rooting templar impossible to use jabs.
    Blazing Spear - stun 1 target for 2 sec and granting CC immunity. When 30 men zerg attack this mean nothing to compare with sorc's streak.
    Sun Shield - to say seriously has only 1 morph. Radiant Ward should be changed to sorc version of shield.
    Honor the Dead - only 1 from 100 templars will use it, mana return still not stacking.
    Restoring Aura - not apply on caster but caster has 10% mana regen: u-s-e-l-e-s-s.
    Restoring Focus - addiion 8% heal from 15% previously. Now rune focus has 1 usable morph just like Sun Shield.
    ----
    Should i say in summary that in compare with overpowered sorcs half of templar skills are not usable or broken in pvp?
    Half the skills became worse than what they were before the update (which was already below par compared to most other classes). Other skills, which the Templar used to be able to use, became unusable (Restoration staff healing bonus no longer applies to all heals). Currently the DK is a better healer, with its 30% healing done bonus.
    That should say a lot.

I'm currently using Healing Ritual to heal, not because its that much better than the Restoration staff heal, but because i DIDN'T BECOME A BLOODY TEMPLAR TO NOT USE MY HEALING TREE. Non of the Healing skills they have are any good as it is now. My Healing Ritual heals more than Honor the Dead (about double), and its a whole lot cheaper to use.

(I made some suggestions for templars some time back, link is in my Signature, for those who are interested.)

I wouldn't say DK is better healer, because Breathe of Life is just something they can't remotely have access to. Templar is still number 1 on heals.
    NB's would be the closest with Funnel heal builds (that's if Dodge chance wouldn't count Funnel heal as an attack and evade it. Seriously @ZOS, fix this...).

Besides that, I do agree with pretty much everything, specially pissed on why they made Radiant Aura so useless and the unasked nerf to Restoring Aura % incoming healing. I can understand it, because of CP system, but they could have make a good way around instead of nerfing it so much.

Healing Ritual - as others have posted before, the heal should start at the beginning of the animation or just make it a HoT. Right now Healing Springs is still way better for AoE heals just because it heals straight away, can block while casting it and stacks.
    I wouldn't mind if they completely get rid of this one skill though and make something useful out of it.
  • Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    JLB wrote: »
    ----
    That should say a lot.

I wouldn't say DK is better healer, because Breathe of Life is just something they can't remotely have access to. Templar is still number 1 on heals.
    NB's would be the closest with Funnel heal builds (that's if Dodge chance wouldn't count Funnel heal as an attack and evade it. Seriously @ZOS, fix this...).

Besides that, I do agree with pretty much everything, specially pissed on why they made Radiant Aura so useless and the unasked nerf to Restoring Aura % incoming healing. I can understand it, because of CP system, but they could have make a good way around instead of nerfing it so much.

Healing Ritual - as others have posted before, the heal should start at the beginning of the animation or just make it a HoT. Right now Healing Springs is still way better for AoE heals just because it heals straight away, can block while casting it and stacks.
    I wouldn't mind if they completely get rid of this one skill though and make something useful out of it.
    Its just too bad that we can't just spam breath of life. For sustain Healing DK beats Templar without breaking a sweat.
    And, with the speed you can spam Healing Springs, 30% extra healing makes a lot of difference.
    If i take a quick look at my own healing, i have 1K Healing springs (3K when you count the hots) and 5K Honor the Dead (The healing of that is the same as that of Breath of life).
    Getting 3 Healing springs running at the same time is pretty easy to sustain, which will give you 3K a second for healing.
    If i were a DK, and used the healing buff i would be at 3.9K a second. Thats 1K less healing a second for 1K less magicka and i will get up to 684 magicka back per cast if i hot 3 people with it (so 1.6K less magicka).

Besides that you also have the amount of people you can hit with it. 3 vs 60?
    From a burst perspective the Templar is indeed stronger. But in the long run (which isn't actually that long) the DK walks away with it.

If Healing Ritual was the same... EXACTLY the same... as Healing Springs (Price, cast time, HoT, Magicka Return), but only around the caster (not aim-able like Healing Springs) the Templar would be on-par with the DK when it comes to healing if they used one of their other skills as a basis (Focused healing passive).
    If they also made Rune Focus the same size as Cleansing Ritual they would be better (by 8%). Changing Restoring focus from 8% to 30% (Major Vitality) would also help.
    Mending-The-Wounded, Aldmeri Dominion, Templar.
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Changing Restoring focus from 8% to 30% (Major Vitality) would also help.
    This is what they should have done from the start imo. Never too late :smile:
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    JLB wrote: »
    Changing Restoring focus from 8% to 30% (Major Vitality) would also help.
    This is what they should have done from the start imo. Never too late :smile:

I personally think that this is too OP. But after all those balance issues i not sure anymore.
  • Amiliana
    Amiliana
    ✭✭✭
    I am playing as Templar Mage DPS and one thing that bothers me is that the game's strongest spell is within Mage's Guild (Meteor).

The whole point of going as Templar Mage DPS was to have a unique build as a "fire" based mage through the Dawn's Wrath tree, but the best damage are gained by using skills from Destruction Staff and Mage's Guild etc.

I do believe the situation is the same for Sorcerers, but I am not sure, so what is the point then to become a Templar Mage if we are using mainly the same skills anyway?

Except this point, I love playing mage and I am able to solo a lot so there is absolutely no reason to make anything easier!
    Edited by Amiliana on March 28, 2015 2:25AM
    “We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.” — Winston Curchill
  • eserras7b16_ESO
    eserras7b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I've been templar since 4th April and never stoped playing with my Templar having 44days /played and many experience overall in the MMO universe, there I go:

StaminaTemplar DPS at the moment -> Good.
    MagickaTemplar DPS at the moment -> Slightly worse than other classes. We could get a boost in this side. Good for most content but not competitive.
    Healing -> Good.
    Tanking -> Slightly worse than DK's still. Our resource management while tanking is a problem.

But overall we have one thing unique and that is: We're the only class able to DPS/HEAL and TANK at a competitive level. By competitive level I mean being able to complete DragonStar Arena Veteran and being able to reach leaderboards.

Some people are complaining we've been nerfed on healing. We have been a bit. That would be completely cool if other classes had got a substential buff in healing in order to balance the classes so they can heal aswel. But that hasn't happened resulting in the only competitive healing class being nerfed wich is pointless because we're still the only competitive class in that role. With my friends I've been trying Dragonstar Arena with Nightblade healing for example, such a pain...
    Eptackt - Argonian Templar
    Belegrand - Redguard Nightblade
  • Rhakon
    Rhakon
    ✭✭✭
    My ideas for the templar, some will make sense some not maybe mistakes are in there but something has to happen,
    templars are cruel to play, the other calsses seems so smooth and direct.
    In any comparison they lose to other classes, beside healing.
    There is no utility to play with, no variations. templar are very predictable. Almost all skills are slow reflectable and channelled.
    Zos have to rework the whole class.
    About Passives have to be spoken too in future.
    I could nor recomend any new player to go for a templar at the current state.
    I play PvP most of the time. On the duelplace im normaly the only templar because of the weakness of this class.

Just a few ideas and thoughts to templar skills.

GLOBAL COOLDOWNS and hooky Animations? Remove them completely from templar skills please.

Radial Sweep. not worth to call it Ultimate! 6 seconds are to long to get the full potential , it should make the same amount of dmg in 3 seconds to make it worth to use.

Puncturing Strikes, gives free cc to enemy and is channelled. Remove the CC,replace it with a snare or root or nothing.

Piercing Javelin is a lowdmg knockback what can be reflected, make this like petrify from dk and let templars pin the target to the ground or make this unreflectable and unblockable.

Focused Charge, the unresponsiveness is still there, why ZoS does not copy and paste shieldcharge for magica!?

Spear Shards its fine i think, no idea for that.

Sun Shield the shield have one usles morph, the blazing shield is to weak and based of hp.
    I would make both morphs to blazing shield one baseof mana the other from stamina.

Nova once this ultimate is set on ground it just get ignored, no buffs for the templar inside, dmg is to low and its so easy to avoid. Give the templar some buff while inside the nova. my idea, cast and channel 30% faster while inside.

sun fire is so slow, templars outpace this at the way to target in sneak and it can be reflected. make this a direct cast on target!

Solar flare has casttime is very slow goes the longest way possible to target and does medium dmg.. make this faster, direct on target like shards from sorc, maybe the procchance could be copied also. sorcs would have knockdown templars the debuff.

Backlash its useless, the damage increase is to low, there should be no option to clean it from target, or add that the marked target cand use invisibility or stealth until cleansed or purged.

Eclipse is the worst and only CC breakable reflect ingame...do not fix it change it! cast it on templar 4x magica attack reflect.

Radiant Destruction. Noob beam, bad attempt to give templars stong and unique ability. it should be totaly redone. into some blockable and dodgeable veryfast traveling hardhitting singletarget projectile at 30% hp of target.

Rite of passage good lifesaver ultimate, usefull in groups.

Rushed ceremony good heal but morphes should be changed to always be cast on the templar.

Healing Ritual nearly useless with this castime and radius. all targets are out when heal ends. reduce casttime to 0.5sec may it woud be good then.

Restoring aura, 10% + reg for all is fine, but the major buffes from activation are usless since pots give the same. Repentence need dead bodies. my idea for that skill would be one stamina version and one magica morph, what should steal magica (staminasteal) or stamina (magicasteal) from targets in range. more targets more benefit, on single targets it should not be to strong.

Cleansing ritual, very good templar skill!

Runefocus is usefull in some builds !

regards
  • AngersRevenge
    AngersRevenge
    ✭✭✭
    Patch 2.0.6
    Templar
    Aedric Spear
    Focused Charge: Fixed an issue where you couldn’t activate other abilities for a short time after using Focused Charge or its morphs. We also fixed an issue where the effects from this ability would get stuck on you.

Still broken. Getting stuck in animation.
    A true warrior never reveals his heart. Until the axe rips it from his chest.
  • jcfreakyob14_ESO
    Not only is the charge animation still locking us out of doing anything (anything, including blocking, abilities, dodge rolling, everything except drinking a potion or dieing with a big yellow spear held in our hands), but there is still a 0.5-1 second Global Cooldown persistent after the ability hits an enemy. I still have to hit Biting Jabs 2-3 times before it goes off after colliding with my intended target. Focused Charge is in no way fixed.
  • glak
    glak
    ✭✭✭
    Rhakon wrote: »
    templars are cruel to play, the other calsses seems so smooth and direct.
    In any comparison they lose to other classes, beside healing.
    There is no utility to play with, no variations. templar are very predictable. Almost all skills are slow reflectable and channelled.
    Zos have to rework the whole class.
    About Passives have to be spoken too in future.
    I could nor recomend any new player to go for a templar at the current state.
    I play PvP most of the time. On the duelplace im normaly the only templar because of the weakness of this class.
    I think ZOS should put on the character creation screen in bold letters for Templar Powerful but Highly Predictable. That is the class design, from day one - a steam roller in slow motion. If you die to a magicka Templar who is using only class skills, then by design it's always a l2p issue, no matter how much damage they can do.
  • Hektlk
    Hektlk
    ✭✭✭
    Focused charge is still seriously broken. The last patch was a step in the right direction, however the amount of times I am getting stuck in charge animation makes the skill unusable.
    Potato Syndicate, IR, Havoc
    Ebonheart Pact, North America

Hektík - VR14 Imperial Templar
  • publicradioheadub17_ESO
    Still broken?
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After literally a year of attempts to fix the Templar class, yes, they are at the very bottom of the heap of classes in PvP, as every poll proves. It's not even close (the most recent poll, linked below, asked what is the strongest class in PvP: Nightblades got 47%, Sorcerors 36%, and Templars 3%). In fact, they may actually be worse off (comparatively speaking) than they were a year ago:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/171130/updated-poll-strongest-class-in-pvp/p1

Sad to say, but I think we all have to recognize that ZOS's attempts to fix Templars have conclusively failed.

The most recent post by Gina on the Templar abilities confirmed that the clunky delay in the Rushed Ceremony skill they introduced is actually not a bug but a feature. This skill, in Gina's own words, is supposed to be 'just slower... by design'.

The Global Cool Down on the Templar charge is not a bug but working as intended... so again, Templars are 'just slower... by design'.

There will be no change to Biting Jabs to stop giving it CC immunity. Again, this is by design.

In the end, you have to ask yourself: if all of these things are working by design, then why are Templars still at the bottom of the heap? Doesn't this just make the design itself the thing that needs to be looked at?
    Edited by david.haypreub18_ESO on May 21, 2015 5:35PM
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, Templar was weakest class already back to 1.5. But they wasn't that weak like in 1.6. However who cares, class is almost extincted.
  • Amiliana
    Amiliana
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree that there are many things with Templar that could be adjusted, being a templar magicka DPS is really not the easiest as the overall DPS is too low for PvE content. In PvP though, I do not have any problem in keeping friends alive or killing other players. I am not the best PvPer but even I kill several players 1 vs 1 and I know many other templars that do much better. There are still lots of every class in both PvP and PvE, at least on the EU server - not even close to "extinct". Despite it's flaws we are many that still do enjoy playing templar.
    “We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.” — Winston Curchill
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basicly, the only good thing the templar really got with 1.6 was radiant oppression...which subsequently was nerfed 4 times.

And on the other hand, they had some of the few good things they had nerfed or completely taken away.

As the only class, the templar has a whole array of abilities that are utterly useless, and many of their iseful skills suffer from great drawbacks. You don't really see this with the other classes.

Zenimax really has to get their act together and actually boost the templar instead of rendering it more and more useless.

As already mentioned in this threat, there are so many half-broken templar skills. They need to be fixed. Others are grossly underpowered when comparing to the other classes' similar abilities. And then, for god's sake, get rid of the useless skill and substitude them with something useful e.g. Backlash and healing ritual.

And for ruining puncturing strike with an auto CC immunity, please, please, please redeem yourselves by adding a disorient on the final hit instead of the now useless knockback. With disorient, the templar would have a much better and much needed tanking tool!
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a badly designed class from the start, but at least pre 1.6 you could work with Blazing Shield, but now the class has no redeeming factors, it is just a horrible pile of weird, slow, bugged and/or useless skills. If you want to have fun playing ESO, the best option is to just not play a Templar, and start investing in another character as soon as possible.

It would take time and effort fixing the Templar class, and I highly doubt ZOS wants to invest either of those in the Templar class anytime soon. Maybe there is even some hidden ideological reason for Templars being so weak, they are after all an Aedric class, and Elder Scrolls has always been all about the Daedra.
    Edited by Zsymon on June 20, 2015 12:36PM
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, a lot of fixes could be easily made just by adjusting some numbers on already existing abilties - at least that would be kind of a hot fix for the class.

- The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think - when modifying the class - they should change all the templar in Dawn's Wraith to the same type of damage; e.g. fire or light or similar. That really makes sense, one just has to look at the name Dawn's Wraith.

It's a minor point, but would help with the consistency of the skill tree. And building a character around it.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • ZAMOLXIS
    ZAMOLXIS
    ✭✭✭
    Complain to Zenimax:

Oke Zenimax, Im playing a templar since release of the game, am VR 14, love to be templar, and not a healer, but what is enough is enough. I have tried everything, and when saying everything, that's the truth! I've got every single skill, spell, tried every combination, it's just impossible! In PvP I am dying very very fast, and not versus VR 14 or so, but even VR 1. I berely beat some non VR players....and its very very frustrating! Got hundered champion points, rested them and tried there as well, I think Im going to leave this broken character and game. Its simply not worth it. Not going to spend another precious time of mine because I choosed in the beggining to be templar and not going to change for another super PvP character. I will quit the game, considering it a broke one!
    I red it on the forum every single article, believing Im doing something wrong, but seems not! I do believe now, the game in what regarding Templar is very wrong! Ill wait till next patch, then Ill quit! simply have nothing else to do in this game...finished everything in solo, did alot of group dungeon and so on....but still Cyrodiil is dead for me, cant do anything, cose dead and shame is there for an honest templar!!!
    knowledge itself is power!
  • Ludof
    Ludof
    ✭✭✭
    ZAMOLXIS wrote: »
    Complain to Zenimax:

Oke Zenimax, Im playing a templar since release of the game, am VR 14, love to be templar, and not a healer, but what is enough is enough. I have tried everything, and when saying everything, that's the truth! I've got every single skill, spell, tried every combination, it's just impossible! In PvP I am dying very very fast, and not versus VR 14 or so, but even VR 1. I berely beat some non VR players....and its very very frustrating! Got hundered champion points, rested them and tried there as well, I think Im going to leave this broken character and game. Its simply not worth it. Not going to spend another precious time of mine because I choosed in the beggining to be templar and not going to change for another super PvP character. I will quit the game, considering it a broke one!
    I red it on the forum every single article, believing Im doing something wrong, but seems not! I do believe now, the game in what regarding Templar is very wrong! Ill wait till next patch, then Ill quit! simply have nothing else to do in this game...finished everything in solo, did alot of group dungeon and so on....but still Cyrodiil is dead for me, cant do anything, cose dead and shame is there for an honest templar!!!

Honestly I got the same feeling.
    I tried any combination of Templar with no result.
    Stamplar is a bad version of Stamina NB (Lower recovery and no skills to survive like dark cloak) .
    Magicka Templar wearing Light Armor is a bad version of Sorcs (shields with lower duration and strenght , and also overall lower stats).
    Tankish Templar with Heavy Armor is a bad version of DK (Nothing like/near Reflective Scales or Battle Roar).
    In addiction any Templar Ultimate sucks in PvP (Rite of Passage<Barrier,Radial Sweep<Dawnbreaker,Nova costs too much for the effect it has compared to Standard of Might).
    Being Templar is just frustating in pvp.
    Edited by Ludof on July 10, 2015 1:25AM
    [EP-EU]
    [Cloud Chasers]
    Ludof - Dragonknight EP
    Ludo-Fly-High - Warden DC
    Irenilde Bantrel - Templar EP
    Edd Bastian - Sorcerer EP
    Lvdof - Templar EP
    Nadia Brown - Templar EP
    Ludof Shadowblade -Nightblade EP
    Lùdof- Templar DC
  • Inventive_Exile
    Inventive_Exile
    Soul Shriven
    Syndy wrote: »
    IMO buffing dmg is not the way to go, giving Templars a way to replenish magicka would help the class more than any dmg buff. Templars can do some insane burst healing so they don't need to be able to do insane damage due to that.

Like Channeled Focus?
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread was necroed from last year. Just sayin'.
  • Ludof
    Ludof
    ✭✭✭
    According to what i heard from ESO Live Episode 21 Templar doesn't get any benefit from next patch (except for nerf on other Classes).
    I will soon re roll an other Class for PvP.
    Well, I just give up with this Class^^
    Edited by Ludof on July 10, 2015 10:28AM
    [EP-EU]
    [Cloud Chasers]
    Ludof - Dragonknight EP
    Ludo-Fly-High - Warden DC
    Irenilde Bantrel - Templar EP
    Edd Bastian - Sorcerer EP
    Lvdof - Templar EP
    Nadia Brown - Templar EP
    Ludof Shadowblade -Nightblade EP
    Lùdof- Templar DC
  • Arbitrator
    Arbitrator
    ✭✭✭
    My concerns for Templar Tank's and tanking in general are posted here:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2030261#Comment_2030261
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do we have an idea when the next update is going to hit PTS?
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    do we have an idea when the next update is going to hit PTS?

This week!

Agree with most comments, Templars are just not viable in PvP unless all you are doing is healing!
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    monday you say?
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]