Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.0 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Heavy Attack Builds

Schared
Schared
✭✭✭
Hello-Hello Reader,
As most of you average pts-forum visitors likely already know the current game features a build pairing Storm-Master, Seargents-Mail and Oakensoul to great affect.
The damage numbers reached by said build make groups that fully commit to stacking that setup 8 times competetive with damage reached by some of the best players still playing eso.
Now the generally get outperformed by classic setups but the difference in setups has become so close that it is negletible. To illustrate if the best parse of a raid would be 80.000~ on a bossfight that assumes simple mechanics such as Asylum Sanctorium the heavy attack build would performwithin the 75-78k range. Now generally I have the "play as you like attitude" however these builds are something else.
Understand that the top performer puts his heart and soul/passion into the game, learns rotations and has taken time to end up where he is. During the actual combat he has a perfect amount of actions per second while the heavy attack build hits 1 button.
And even if the damage would not be as competetive one mayor issue is the tankyness of the build the buffs granted give all DD players resilience that rivals a tank. Mayor buffs provide flat damage negation to a point where mechanics can be ignored - the same crititzism people brought up towards groups that dealt to much damage skipping mechanics in the past.
Tri-Focus turns all that single target into an aoe that scales with an enemies hitbox which is overpowered in pve but provides a set of new issues in pvp aswell - while the actual attack is adjusted taking the primary targets resistances into account enemies hit by the inbuild tri-focus cleave are not adjusted properly.
In short if you ever wonder why you get oneshot by a heavy attack in pvp - it is most likely someone heavy attacking a nearby guard npc - whose damage ends up cleaving you.

Alas this post will likely already be flagged for explaining how to exploit instead of being read and taken into consideration - so I may aswell share the setup itself as I believe that shock-and-awe strategies is the only way to actualy reach the dev team as normal and conservative posts are ignored, banned and censored.

While I appreciate the devs making raids easier over time - easier should not mean the entire removal of requirement. Accessibility is understandable but this is taken to a point where the game tries to include people without mouse, controller and keyboard.

Disclaimer: Iam aware that the best parses are achieved with different setups/classes - just know that you are in the 1% most likely and a core point of the argument is not infact the score but the ease that comes with the provided tankiness. Though the current top performing builds already start to look like one-bar-oakensoul builds as their main damage lies within 2 channeled abilities.

I guess this is just me venting about the direction of the game, as I always have - because it appears to me as if the new direction is to turn ESO into Amazons own New World with 3 abilities on your bar and the slowest combat imaginable.

Cheers~
Edited by Psiion on March 9, 2023 1:47AM
cleared AA once i know what iam doing
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Another 'nerf heavy attack builds' thread.
    Fun.
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    One button builds get ~80k compared to a 120k+ on a two bar build. Difference is either you hold down one button for said 80k or you toggle your 120k macro on/off.
  • Hottytotz
    Hottytotz
    ✭✭✭
    [snip] Go look at all of the top 1% players posts on this subject and vidoes on youtube. Nefas clearly explains why heavy attack builds are not a problem at all. When heavy attacks barely do 80k and have reached thier ceiling vs 120-130k double bar LA weaving builds..... yeah... sounds like 80k needs to be nerfed into the ground... [snip].

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Kraken on March 8, 2023 3:08PM
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One button builds get ~80k compared to a 120k+ on a two bar build. Difference is either you hold down one button for said 80k or you toggle your 120k macro on/off.

First of all one bar heavy attack builds can get up to over 100k not 80k. 80-83k is a DPS You can pull just by pressing LMB, nothing else but OP clearly have in mind setups that perform a rotation inbetween heavy attacks. Second of all I doubt there is anyone that pushes 120k+ on a dummy with a macro. Macro in general causes more harm than benefits at high end of the game especially in dynamic rotations and real fights.

Dummy is not a real fight. In real fights heavy attack setups starts to get additional benefits that shorten up the distance between them and two bar setups to the point that in mid game one bar heavy attack sorc currently is capable to beat or be on pair with most of the two bar setups. Benefits like being a range, easily sustaining, easy to micromanage and pulling most of the dmg as an AoE are really important in real fights.

And just to be clear I am not an emeny of one bar heavy attack setups but if we want to have a talk about them lets be honest to eachother and not pretend they're weak. They're not weak, it they would nobody would use them.
    Edited by axi on March 8, 2023 2:47PM
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭

Not sure what your talking about - but youa re the 2nd guy mentioning macros that clearly hold some mythical value in your book that does not reign true.
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    Hottytotz wrote: »
    [snip] Go look at all of the top 1% players posts on this subject and vidoes on youtube. Nefas clearly explains why heavy attack builds are not a problem at all. When heavy attacks barely do 80k and have reached thier ceiling vs 120-130k double bar LA weaving builds..... yeah... sounds like 80k needs to be nerfed into the ground... [snip].

[edited for baiting]

Nefas is often wrong nor is he a definitive voice on what is considered endgame. The number I used was not representative of a real raid scenario as i described and is purely fictional to illustrate a point. Additionally as I explained the single target damage is but the very surface of the problem.
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    axi wrote: »

First of all one bar heavy attack builds can get up to over 100k not 80k. 80-83k is a DPS You can pull just by pressing LMB, nothing else but OP clearly have in mind setups that perform a rotation inbetween heavy attacks. Second of all I doubt there is anyone that pushes 120k+ on a dummy with a macro. Macro in general causes more harm than benefits at high end of the game especially in dynamic rotations and real fights.

Dummy is not a real fight. In real fights heavy attack setups starts to get additional benefits that shorten up the distance between them and two bar setups to the point that in mid game one bar heavy attack sorc currently is capable to beat or be on pair with most of the two bar setups. Benefits like being a range, easily sustaining, easy to micromanage and pulling most of the dmg as an AoE are really important in real fights.

And just to be clear I am not an emeny of one bar heavy attack setups but if we want to have a talk about them lets be honest to eachother and not pretend they're weak. They're not weak, it they would nobody would use them.

I appreciate you clarifying to the guy unable to read - I once again repeat myself here those numbers are purely fiction and where only supossed to illustrate the relation inbetween rather than being a hard-fact. The points you elaborated on in terms of essentially removing sustain as a mechanic is something I willingly skipped as people tend to not read the text properly but you are absolutely right.
    The main issues I have is HOW competetive/close it is - I do not want the removal of them entirely just to be representative of what they do - removing half the gameplay should result in half the damage.

Tankyness, Buffs and Tri-Focus Cleave remain the heart of the issue.
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    [snip]

I understand that some players much rather have everything given to them, this however is not the ideology that I would wish for ESO as it has worked out poorly in similar games such as Lost Ark. But if that is you prefered style I highly recommend looking into the Korean MMO scene.

[edited - removed quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Kraken on March 8, 2023 4:29PM
  • Wise_Will
    Wise_Will
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Schared wrote: »
    Wise_Will wrote: »
    [snip]

I understand that some players much rather have everything given to them, this however is not the ideology that I would wish for ESO as it has worked out poorly in similar games such as Lost Ark. But if that is you prefered style I highly recommend looking into the Korean MMO scene.

I understand that such players rarther have their way imposed upon everyone else, however is not the ideology that I would wish for ESO as it has worked out poorly in similar games such as *insert generic game*. But if that is you prefered style I highly recommend looking into the Korean MMO scene.

I don't play HA builds, not everything is about my wants, im all for people being able to access the higher content. its not like the HA Builds can do all HM content is it.

[edited removed quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Kraken on March 8, 2023 4:30PM
    XBOX EU/PC EU
  • Meiox
    Meiox
    ✭✭✭✭
    The number I used was not representative of a real raid scenario as i described and is purely fictional to illustrate a point. ....

Would you be so kind to post some real numbers, or do we now post fictional numbers just that something get nerfed?
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    ahh the good old i want to getekeep others from ever competing with me thread

I understand that such players rarther have their way imposed upon everyone else, however is not the ideology that I would wish for ESO as it has worked out poorly in similar games such as *insert generic game*. But if that is you prefered style I highly recommend looking into the Korean MMO scene.

I don't play HA builds, not everything is about my wants, im all for people being able to access the higher content. its not like the HA Builds can do all HM content is it.

I can tell that you are not interested in an actual argument.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meiox wrote: »
    The number I used was not representative of a real raid scenario as i described and is purely fictional to illustrate a point. ....

Would you be so kind to post some real numbers, or do we now post fictional numbers just that something get nerfed?

Didn't you hear, heavy attack builds do infinite damage. And light attack builds do infinity +1, barely any difference between the two.
  • Wise_Will
    Wise_Will
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct why would i come to argue on the forums?, i'm interested in a actual discussion on why you feel threatened by a build that is not as good as 2 Bar Builds and why you think these builds should not be able to compete with you just because you have spend days button mashing. Your reward is better DPS and access to the best HM Trials, but rarther than allowing others to do some older trials, you would rarther have them nerfed by 50%!! because they havent spent their childhood button mashing to "git gud".

Again, i dont use HA builds.
    XBOX EU/PC EU
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭

What numbers would interest you? As previously mentoned by both me and one of the commentors single target damage is rarely relevant in content, therefore AoE and a characters tankyness is far more important.

AoE is heavily dependant on the number of targets obviously and a characters durability is relative to the difficulty of the content and harshness of the mechanic.

If you want to draw your own conclusions: The raids I mostly looked at for Raidparses are Asylum Sanctorium and Sunspire. Iam sure you can find relevant data on ESO-Logs.

This obviously translates into PVP and overland content aswell. I will be honest I do not much engage with overland content however I have seen more people plowing through world bosses within seconds than ever before. Usually in pairs or alone ~ discouraging grouping up.
    And in PvP the tri-focus (cleave) damage of the lightning heavy attack is not adjusted properly and without going into detail here for arguments sake just assume that they "ignore" resistances. So a fully buffed "you" can still get oneshot 35k to 0 by standing next to an npc for a second.
  • Wise_Will
    Wise_Will
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What numbers would interest you? As previously mentoned by both me and one of the commentors single target damage is rarely relevant in content, therefore AoE and a characters tankyness is far more important.

AoE is heavily dependant on the number of targets obviously and a characters durability is relative to the difficulty of the content and harshness of the mechanic.

If you want to draw your own conclusions: The raids I mostly looked at for Raidparses are Asylum Sanctorium and Sunspire. Iam sure you can find relevant data on ESO-Logs.

This obviously translates into PVP and overland content aswell. I will be honest I do not much engage with overland content however I have seen more people plowing through world bosses within seconds than ever before. Usually in pairs or alone ~ discouraging grouping up.
    And in PvP the tri-focus (cleave) damage of the lightning heavy attack is not adjusted properly and without going into detail here for arguments sake just assume that they "ignore" resistances. So a fully buffed "you" can still get oneshot 35k to 0 by standing next to an npc for a second.

2 people = group, and who needs more than 1 person for normal world bosses on any build?
    XBOX EU/PC EU
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to be clear, yes, heavy attack builds currently can do every HM content there is.
    Edited by axi on March 8, 2023 4:11PM
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    [snip]

Correct why would i come to argue on the forums?, i'm interested in a actual discussion on why you feel threatened by a build that is not as good as 2 Bar Builds and why you think these builds should not be able to compete with you just because you have spend days button mashing. Your reward is better DPS and access to the best HM Trials, but rarther than allowing others to do some older trials, you would rarther have them nerfed by 50%!! because they havent spent their childhood button mashing to "git gud".

Again, i dont use HA builds.

I understand but your entire argument is accusatory and clearly based on the idea that I somehow want to gatekeep people.
    And as there is no way around that argument as you can continue to claim it I see little reason to argue. Especially as you now seem hung up on the pure damage value here just as the mayority of the comments.

[snip] as stated in my original post - the damage required to clear all content has always been in the grasp of people of all kinds. But the risk that came with playing such builds may have made their progression longer and more exhausting and obviously at the end more rewarding.
    This right now is a "get rich quick" moment which people - as they perhaps even should use to their ability. But as the general direction of the game strays further and further from its original design.
    And with that loss of original indentity the game has been losing players almost constantly since mid 2019 - only to be stalled by Covid. But again all online game numbers inflated during the pandemic and in comparison ESO lost - sourced largely of steamcharts and google-trends here. The current design is akin to New World but I do not believe it will maintain the ESO community.

[snip]

[removed quote and comments for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Kraken on March 8, 2023 4:33PM
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭

Just to be clear, yes, heavy attack builds currently can do every HM content there is.

Correct - and with the added tankyness on top of that it has become rather simple.
  • Wise_Will
    Wise_Will
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another clueless post. Go look at all of the top 1% players posts on this subject and vidoes on youtube. Nefas clearly explains why heavy attack builds are not a problem at all. When heavy attacks barely do 80k and have reached thier ceiling vs 120-130k double bar LA weaving builds..... yeah... sounds like 80k needs to be nerfed into the ground... what a joke.

Top 1% is not a good argument because even if two bar setups would be just 3% stronger than one bar heavy attack setups still top 1% would be r

To be clear yes heavy attack setups can do all HM content.

Haven't seen any HA Builds in vRG HM and vDSR HM
    XBOX EU/PC EU
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭

2 people = group, and who needs more than 1 person for normal world bosses on any build?

The same people that now default to heavy attack builds.
    You are making my argument - these feats have always been possible but they have now been trivialized.
    I tend to assume that your first couple of encounters with overland content may have not been as simple as they are now - therefore Id argue though not true for you and I - definetly relevant.
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    Another clueless post. Go look at all of the top 1% players posts on this subject and vidoes on youtube. Nefas clearly explains why heavy attack builds are not a problem at all. When heavy attacks barely do 80k and have reached thier ceiling vs 120-130k double bar LA weaving builds..... yeah... sounds like 80k needs to be nerfed into the ground... what a joke.

Top 1% is not a good argument because even if two bar setups would be just 3% stronger than one bar heavy attack setups still top 1% would be r
    [snip]

They do exist. But you are correct they are far less represented in those raids. Largely due to the tri-focus hitbox interaction I mentioned in my original post.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Kraken on March 8, 2023 4:34PM
  • Meiox
    Meiox
    ✭✭✭✭
    If its not the pvp players who calls for nerfs, its the endgame players who calls for nerfs.

Just let me have my chilled build!

But I guess in a couple weeks oakensoul-HA will be nerfed into the ground and completly useless.

Good job guys, just keep going on with posting your call for nerfs.
  • Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    If its not the pvp players who calls for nerfs, its the endgame players who calls for nerfs.

But I guess in a couple weeks oakensoul-HA will be nerfed into the ground and completly useless.

A blanket statement. But I would refer you to a comment I made earlier - if you like things given to you instead of working through them pay-to-win games provide exactly the experience you may be lacking.
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP - why does it hurt you if folks who struggle with LA weaving at an end game level are now able to produce enough DPS to complete a vet trial or dungeon using an HA build?

The two bar LA weaving builds are still best for end game. End of story.

Sounds to me like another "pull the ladder up behind you" thread.
    Edited by Ingenon on March 8, 2023 4:26PM
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because You havn't seen them doesn't mean it cannot be done. Just give it a time. For now only few strong groups started to play around with heavy attack builds.

Godslayer was already done with said setups in 25 minutes run. It's obvious they have more than enough DPS to complete RG and DSR in HM difficulty. It's just a matter of time now until someone decides to do it.

So yes every HM content can be done with DDs using one bar heavy attack setups.
    Edited by axi on March 8, 2023 4:39PM
  • Meiox
    Meiox
    ✭✭✭✭

A blanket statement. But I would refer you to a comment I made earlier - if you like things given to you instead of working through them pay-to-win games provide exactly the experience you may be lacking.

If you want progression maybe you should choose a mmo with a gear treadmill ;-)

I just play solo and have fun doing base game dungeon alone. I can do it with 2 bars but its more chilled with oakensoul builds.
    Do I hurt you in some way if I play solo this way, or what is the problem?
    If the nerfs would only affects endgame raids, I would not mind it, but everytime they also hit the 'casual' solo players too.

• Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭
    Ingenon wrote: »
    OP - why does it hurt you if folks who struggle with LA weaving at an end game level are now able to produce enough DPS to complete a vet trial or dungeon using an HA build?

The two bar LA weaving builds are still best for end game. End of story.

Sounds to me like another "pull the ladder up behind you" thread.

I suggest that LA weaving is what made the game great originally. As the comabt allowed for individuality beyond what you wear. But as you are now the 3rd guy to accuse me of gatekeeping let me assure you aswell, that it is not my goal here.

People have been able to clear all content with dps far behind what is considered "top" dps - I also do not wish to compare to the literally 99th percentile but rather the 95th.
    And while you are partially correct I invite you to see the current build as a trend rather than a singular occasion. While heavy attack builds are in a league of their own other builds follow their example in the same direction. Take Asylum as example the highest performing build there is currently a semi-ranged stamplar build which at its core has only two abilities. (Lethal Arrow+Radiant Glory) I hope you can see a trend here.

But alas as most people you have willingly skipped over the part where I critized the inherit tankyness and scaling issue - I assume you have a take on those issues - other than nerfing obviously.

• Schared
    Schared
    ✭✭✭

If you want progression maybe you should choose a mmo with a gear treadmill ;-)

I just play solo and have fun doing base game dungeon alone. I can do it with 2 bars but its more chilled with oakensoul builds.
    Do I hurt you in some way if I play solo this way, or what is the problem?
    If the nerfs would only affects endgame raids, I would not mind it, but everytime they also hit the 'casual' solo players too.

Honestly mostly a fair point. Iam someone who does believe that an MMO should not cater to the single player experience and instead encourage socialization but I understand your point of view.
    However as soloing dungeons even on Veteran Hardmodes has been possible and done as a solo before Oakensoul came around it is not like the removale or hard nerf of the set would lock you out of the content. I believe the reason you picked it up now is infact because of its simplicity - though this is obviously purely speculative.

The problem that "you" create is likely neglectable - you are right about that one. But as you call it "chill" clearing do you wonder if that attitude contributes towards the longevity of the game and if I may swing wide here - dont you think Bots could easily abuse that?
  • ZOS_Kraken
    Hello!

We have removed and edited some insulting back and forth that was disruptive. Please ensure you are treating others with respect on the forums even when they have views that differ from your own.
    Staff Post
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Real numbers from real fighhts. 25 minutes godslayer with all DDs being one bar heavy attack setups https://www.esologs.com/reports/ZTKLwCzhtj4QRx2G/