The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil: An End to Nightcapping

• xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    albesca wrote: »
    A single screenshot of the map is a bit meaningless

It's not meaningless, because one look at a map like that is all it takes for a player on either of the underdogs to immediately log out. The people arguing against possible solutions to "nightcapping" are ultimately hurting other off-hours players the most.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
    Options
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What ZoS says means nothing you must look at what they do.

Agreed.

What have ZoS ever done to prevent so-called "night capping" despite it being just one more thing PvPers constantly whine about?

That's right they've done precisely NOTHING.

Which means ZoS don't see it as a problem.

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
    Options
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn´t be a surprise but Cyrodiil is never been a competition with rules. Personally I like to have a challenge but for some it is a race against the time and other factions I can well undserstand that some are angry for losing some ground during the day. I have seen my faction being sucked out of players for we lost all the time. I didn´t change my team. There is so many situations that are very unfair. Being zerged down or having 2 other factions taking all your faction has just to mention some. It just Cyrodiil for me. That´s it :)
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
    Options
  • Shanehere
    Shanehere
    ✭✭✭
    albesca wrote: »
    A single screenshot of the map is a bit meaningless

It's not meaningless, because one look at a map like that is all it takes for a player on either of the underdogs to immediately log out. The people arguing against possible solutions to "nightcapping" are ultimately hurting other off-hours players the most.

That's subjective. Some players might look at that map and not bother going into Cyrodiil and other players might might be psyched at the opportunity for tough fights or having to work hard to get some keeps back.
    Options
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shanehere wrote: »
    That's subjective. Some players might look at that map and not bother going into Cyrodiil and other players might might be psyched at the opportunity for tough fights or having to work hard to get some keeps back.

But quite clearly the people "psyched at the opportunity for tough fights" are NOT the people looking to prevent "night capping".

Those people clearly don't want to have to put effort in to get their wins.

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
    Options
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is a funny post I did awhile back when EP would always log in and take the map early mornings ( BwB I think ).

ep.jpg

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

Options
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I logged into NA/PC/Kaal last night for the first time in awhile and experienced the AD pop imbalance first hand. There was a 5-6 man AD mini ball group farming a few DC soloers at Glade while a DC pug herder was trying to get something going, but getting crushed by the well-organized AD emp group with twice their number every time they poked at an emp keep. I can't explain why the only experienced large group during non primetime seems to be on AD this campaign, but the pop is low enough at this time that all it takes is one highly-skilled small group to completely sway the score. "Nightcapping" was rarely an issue on the "main" campaign in the past, probably because the population never tanked this badly after NA primetime in the past, like it does on the "lesser" campaigns. To illustrate how low cyro pop is these days, I've pvp'd for maybe 2 hours this campaign, and I'm 140th on the leaderboard. In the past, my standing would be more like 1900th at this point.

This is the core issue right now. "Nightcapping" has been a complaint since beta, but low population is what the real problem is now. Lag and ZOS' complete silence about it have driven so many experienced players away, while faction locks have had an impact as well. Until ZOS finds a way to attract people back to the Alliance War (if they even want to), it's probably not going to get better.
    Options
  • Shanehere
    Shanehere
    ✭✭✭
    Shanehere wrote: »

But quite clearly the people "psyched at the opportunity for tough fights" are NOT the people looking to prevent "night capping".

Those people clearly don't want to have to put effort in to get their wins.

All The Best

Yeah, the people with that particular mindset are probably not up in arms about being outnumbered at a particular time of the day, and rather then complain that there might be more people online on an opposing faction at certain times when their faction is not, they instead recognize that it's an MMO that people all around the world are playing and are trying to accomplish the same thing. They probably understand that Cyrodiil is not balanced 24/7 and there are up and downtimes for all factions. I'm sure they instead try to adapt and have fun in the situation they're in, and focus on coming up with ways to beat the players in the actual game rather than come up with ways to nullify those player's efforts on the forums because they think that because they are doing what everyone else is trying to do at an hour that isn't as populated it's unfair.

Options
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    Aurielle wrote: »
    People who play primetime PCNA set their alarms to get up and play is n the middle of the night when the campaign is empty. AD does do this. Period. So forget all that it’s Aussies or Oceanic players.

AD guilds pvdoor trade emp etc.

That’s some next-level paranoia on display there. Is it not more likely, perhaps, that you’ve got some North American players on PC NA who are night owls? Shift workers who usually sleep during the day anyway for work? Players who would otherwise be in bed but are suffering from insomnia and trying to tire themselves out with a bit of gaming? Why is “AD SETS ALARMS TO PLAY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT” your go-to assumption? Do you have proof?

Also, I find it funny that you guys never complain about “day capping” during the work week. There are retirees, stay at home moms/dads, people on vacation, shift workers on their days off, people who are unemployed, kids on summer vacation, etc. who play during the middle of the day when most of the NA playerbase is at work. Pop numbers during the day are lower than NA prime time numbers, but there’s almost always good action to be found all over the map.

I’m not telling you what I THINK. I’m telling you what I KNOW. An AD friend of mine told me that people in AD set their alarms to get up and play in the middle of the night to take over the map. Trade emp etc. I didn’t ask. She just told me.

I fight these same folks in primetime Ni, Fantasia, Avante Guarde etc when I’m off Monday’s and Tuesday’s. Rest of the time I play in the middle of the night. You get to know who is who in Cyro. I used to think some of the nightcappers were no lifers, always on etc. Before that I assumed like everyone else nightcappers were Aussies or Oceanic players. Nightcappers aren’t.

My AD friend ran with Fantasia, runs with Ni now. She tells me stuff about AD, how the Ball Zergs work. Take emp for example. They most certainly nightcap to get emp. They most certainly trade it, take turns or whatever.

Last campaign it was her turn. She messaged me as much and asked me not to login and kill her because it was her turn and she wanted to get it. It’s not like first Bobby, then Bobby steps down, then it’s Judy.

Basically you have to go hat in hand to some fool and tell them you want to emp and they’ll agree to push for you if you have the lead. You don’t have to step down but you have to agree to slow down after you loose it. Apparently there was a little stink in AD when some Squishy/tank Necro emp decided not to slow down.

All this crap makes the idea of playing the map and caring about the campaign impossible. Faction lock is stupid too because it was designed to end campaign shenanigans.

Nightcapping is real. It’s not just Aussies, or a bunch of people with JP in their names, or night owls. It’s the same fools you kill in primetime playing in the middle of the night. I don’t have a solution to the problem but there is no denying there IS a problem.

“My friend told me so” is not proof.

However, let’s entertain for a moment the idea that certain AD guilds on your server are, in fact, setting alarms to nightcap on a dead map without opposition. What’s stopping members of your alliance from setting alarms of their own to thwart their efforts? Do you really mean to tell me that AD has the monopoly on players who are willing to do whatever it takes to crown an emp or advance their alliance’s score?

Yes. I mean to tell you there are AD guilds on PcNA who are willing to pvdoor and 20v1 in the middle of the night to trade emp or 20v1 or whatever gets them their jollies.

What my friend told me was that many of them set alarms to play then. That much I didn’t know. That these same players get mopped every day in primetime I did know lol.

It’s many of the same people purposely playing empty (of other factions) campaigns. Why is that so hard to believe. They are nightcapping.
    Options
  • AlanTheDragonLord
    AlanTheDragonLord
    ✭✭✭
    But.... what about all those US military personnel playing in countries like Korea, Japan, Malaysia, and even in Australia. You want to ban them from playing too, because they 'nightcap'? Shame on you. And what about those Americans who play while you sleep because they work while you're wasting your daylight hours on PVP? You want to ban them from it too? Turn PVP into 'US business hours only'? Shame on you.
    Options
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction Lock was a great first step towards improving the competitive spirit in Cyrodiil,

[snip]

However, the point system does need changing.

[edited for baiting/bashing comment]
    Edited by ZOS_RogerJ on July 25, 2019 12:10AM
    Options
  • ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    To prevent further derailment of the thread after the first in-thread mod post, we've closed this thread. We understand everyone has their own opinions, thoughts and frustrations but we want the forums to be civil, constructive and on-topic.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.