The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Harrassment Already A Larger Problem

• phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you determine when it's fine to dance around in your underwear and when it becomes trolling? What about using the mystery meat to vomit in front of people? Or running around in a goblin costume? Where do we draw the line?
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    The context of the roleplay isn't all that import, what is, is that we instantly had a guy dancing in his perma-underwear in our faces throughout the event and bragging about how he "loves to do this to roleplayers" who are, of course, "ridiculous" and "stupid." So while he was providing me with ample fodder I was reporting him with screenshots. But unlike past events, and believe me, this went on for quite awhile, no GM showed up to deal with the problem. Indeed at one point we thought he had finally gotten bored and gone away but nope, he had just gone to get some friends to join his little party. Further shenanigans ensured and were also reported with screenshots. FINALLY they did get bored and wander off. Probably because the entire event was held in group chat rather than spatial /emote or /say exactly so as to give less food to the trolls.

That's where the line is. When the obvious intent is to interfere with other player enjoyment.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    If someone sends offensive messages that needs to be stopped immediately, but im not in support of policing where players can stand and what they can wear.

If someone is sending you offensive messages just put them on ignore. The problem is instantly solved. There is no need for GMs to get involved to put a stop to it. Players can do it themselves easily.

As to your second point: I agree. If someone wants to dress in their underwear and dance during a funeral they should be able to. I'm not going to support GMs policing our behavior to safeguard role-players from ridicule. There is something everyone does that offends someone. The players dancing in their underwear could just as easily claim that the role-playing event was annoying them and that action should be taken against the Role-Players.

GMs should be there to fix legitimate problems with the game. I don't think their role should be to tell us how we are suppose to dress or where we can do emotes; what we can or cannot make fun of. No thanks. I rather not Tamriel be turned into a police state.

This is the reason we can't have nice things. Thank you though, for providing clear and compelling evidence why this game so desperately needs the very tools I, and others, have asked for. NOBODY wants GMs to have to take their time being playground monitors. Unfortunately, that's the only option anyone has under the current system...and it works poorly. All anyone is asking for is the perfectly legitimate right to be left alone and the tools to ensure that happens while, incidentally, having absolutely zero impact on those who seek to cause offense. If I don't have to see you, then a GM doesn't have to come in and censure you and you are perfectly free to go on your merry dancing in your underwear way, none the wiser that no one knows or cares you are doing it.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭
    FadedJeans wrote: »
    On one hand, it leaves you less exposed so you suffer less the mockery of fools.

On the other hand, it leaves you less exposed so people who might be drawn to RP are denied the opportunity to discover you serendipitously.

Too bad you can't just add another player to an ignore list that phases them out of your instance or simply removes them from your sight and chat.

One of my guildies actually mentioned that there ARE games where you can do exactly that. If you "ignore" another player, not only is their chat gone, THEY are gone in that you no longer see their character. I had no idea this was possible. My gods, this would be AMAZING. I am going to add this suggestion to my OP.
    While I haven't seen that many games utilize it; it's totally possible and ESO's megaserver is already structured to support something like that.

They just need to implement it and test it.... and REALLY test it otherwise they'll be more people crying about it. Anyone remember the issues with grouping at launch?
  • Biggus
    Biggus
    Soul Shriven
    I don't much care if you think normal play is stupid or you just don't get it. There is a sizable group of standard players in ESO and ZOS has repeatedly stated that they support this. I've never seen GMs in the past show up to remove players who were trolling at a location by demanding exclusive use of it. And when I myself am getting trolled by emote text or actions I will ask people once, politely, to stop. And sometimes what they are doing IS pretty funny and we all get a laugh out of it and then they move on and everything is fine. So it's not that I'm all that thin skinned. Yet despite warnings that roleplaying WOULD get worse with the switch to B2P ZOS seems not to have felt that greater GM presence is warranted. Nor have they taken any other steps to reduce emote harassment.

Last night members of my contact list were discussing where to go grind XP when players started to emote spam some fake funeral for another player character. Were we truly sad or upset? Hell yes, after the tragic death of my goldfish Einstein I came to play ESO to get away from my Real life woes not relive them and this was not part of the game story arc and was not needed. LOL The context of the emote spam isn't all that import, what is, is that we instantly had a guy perma emote spamming the finer points of adjusting his belt in our faces throughout our discussion and lamenting about how "my belt doesn't fit anymore as I have been comfort eating due to my loss" and when we refused to participate in emoting we are, of course, "ridiculous" and "stupid." and oppressing their right to emote spam and infringing on their rights by being in a public location which has clearly been reserved for private use . So while he was providing me with ample fodder I was reporting him with screenshots for thinking that they own the place and can dictate how we play the game and we must play the game to their requirements. But unlike past events, and believe me, this went on for quite awhile, no GM showed up to deal with the problem. Indeed at one point we thought he had finally gotten bored and gone away but nope, he ... just ... emote adjusted that damn belt buckle AGAIN...AGAIN I TELL YOU, then some more friends came to join his little party of emote fidgeters. Further shenanigans ensued and were also reported with screenshots. FINALLY they finished and descriptively wandered off. I could tell it was over because the entire event was spammed locally via /emote or /say exactly so as to announce their entitlement.

About an hour later a GM did contact me, apologized for not being able to do anything about the incident while it was happening, and was very professional and polite. I have absolutely NO beef with this GM. He or she was great. I also believed them when they said they'd go over the logs. And while they, of course, cannot tell me what, if any, action they will take against that player I am nevertheless fairly certain he'll receive some form of censure which of course he will include in emotologue like some purple texted supervillian when he finally catches mr bond. Sadly, none of that changes the fact that this jerk was allowed to pretty much ruin what would otherwise have been a normal discussion with people about XP farming.

THIS is why we need more GMs, player and guild housing, and empty instances of places you can take groups into. Any ONE of those things would come close to eliminating the problem of the continual player harassment that goes on in this game and that is made possible by the fact that any basement dweller can now play this game by just badgering mom and dad once rather than on a monthly basis which would suck funds from his Magic the gathering Card buying addiction. We told you this would happen ZOS. I'd kind of like to know what your plans are for dealing with it.

Addendum: I've also been informed that there ARE games where placing a character on ignore will not only remove their chat, it will remove the character themselves from your view and it will be, to you, as if they no longer exist. This would be AMAZING. Please ZOS, I am begging you, figure out how to do this and implement it ASAP.

Addendum two: On second thoughts make sure if we ignore people they still show up if they have different alliance characters as I dont want to be killed in cyrodiil by anything invisible ... except Bat Sorcs.
    Edited by Biggus on April 1, 2015 4:26PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashigaru wrote: »
    ZOS_AlanG wrote: »
    There have been a few debates recently about how problematic something needs to be before it’s reported. But the answer is simple, if you find something offensive or harassing, report it.

It’s true that some of the reports we get in-game (and on the forums) are determined to not break the rules, and are closed without action. However, these determinations are quick to make, and we’d rather have a few unnecessary reports than find out people aren’t reporting content that should be – particularly in-game.

There are two ways to report bad behavior in-game. For chat, right click on the offensive content in the chat window and choose the report option. If someone isn’t in chat, look at them and open the “interact” wheel – one of the options is “report player.”

On the forums, there’s a report button on the bottom right of every post that shows up when you hover your cursor there.

The bold part troubles me, if a player reports something do you not think at that point in time it is problematic enough for you the company to take a look at it. From what i am reading from your statement is that instead of following up on reports or such, you moderate the reports and pick and choose which ones to follow up on instead of following up on everything. That actually answers a lot of questions for me from previous reports that i never heard anything about, it was as if they had just poofed.......

You misunderstood. Alan wasn't referring to debates within the moderation team but about the debates that have been coming up on this forum between players (i.e. this thread). The moderators are not picking and choosing which tickets get followed up on, but as stated, they may not always find someone in violation of the rules.
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Policing in-game chat is fine, but policing in-game dancing? It's just completely impractical and pointless. How do you determine when it's fine to dance around in your underwear and when it becomes trolling? What about using the mystery meat to vomit in front of people? Or running around in a goblin costume? Where do we draw the line?.

Do you really expect anyone to believe that you cannot ... truly cannot ... tell the difference between "acting weird" and deliberately attempting to sabotage someone else's enjoyment of the game?

Its not "what was done". it's context. Disrespect. Pattern. Does that really truly not make sense to you?

Well, again, I have to respectfully disagree.

Sometimes I ride naked on my guar through Argonian temples. At what point do we believe that behavior constitutes trolling? More importantly, how will a GM looking through game logs be able to make any kind of objective determination about that?
    ----
    Murray?
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wholly endorse the OP's comments and suggestions.

I am not an active role-player but fully respect those who are, and the bottom line is that we are all, after all, playing what is at heart a role-playing game.

In an ideal world we wouldn't need to have instances or separate areas set aside from role-playing sessions, nor in such a world would we need more GMs, because in an ideal world people wouldn't feel the need to disrupt a role--playing session. However, we don't live in such an ideal world and so these things are necessary because seemingly there is an infinite number of jerks within this genre and some of them will inevitably have found their way to this game.

As with a number of other aspects of the game such as the arguments over open world PvP and the trading system, what lies at the root of this problem is not so much the influx of B2P players as the adoption of mega-servers with a single rule-set. Given the more traditional use of multiple servers the solution would be for a "role-play preferred" server on which certain things like the naming policy and support for role-play sessions would be better enforced.

However, we don't have that option and so I support the request for sufficient GMs to be employed to enforce decent standards of behaviour including, but not limited to, during role-play sessions.

Edited by Tandor on April 1, 2015 4:29PM
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Valymer wrote: »
    World PvP, problem solved.

May have a point , not world pvp but there are places in Cyrodiil that would be ideal for y'all. Either of the gated areas would be perfect. People only go there to empty rewards/bank or get quests to pass a long to their group other than that the place is empty. They have a tavern and really anything else you would need and little to no danger of getting attacked. (Just don't leave the gated area ;) ) Check it out ! :)
    I don't recall seeing anyone in the tavern behind the gate in my alliance zone other than people doing some light looting while picking up/ turning in quests to the fighters guild bounty quest giver, so this may be a good short term workaround. You should probably pick an unpopular campaign though, so the PVPers don't get mad about being pop locked out of the campaign due to too many RPers in the tavern.

I do like the idea about not seeing people on your ignore list. That would help a lot of people help themselves improve the game experience instead of relying on just a few GMs to keep the peace.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    There have been a few debates recently about how problematic something needs to be before it’s reported. But the answer is simple, if you find something offensive or harassing, report it.

It’s true that some of the reports we get in-game (and on the forums) are determined to not break the rules, and are closed without action. However, these determinations are quick to make, and we’d rather have a few unnecessary reports than find out people aren’t reporting content that should be – particularly in-game.

There are two ways to report bad behavior in-game. For chat, right click on the offensive content in the chat window and choose the report option. If someone isn’t in chat, look at them and open the “interact” wheel – one of the options is “report player.”

On the forums, there’s a report button on the bottom right of every post that shows up when you hover your cursor there.
    The bold part troubles me, if a player reports something do you not think at that point in time it is problematic enough for you the company to take a look at it. From what i am reading from your statement is that instead of following up on reports or such, you moderate the reports and pick and choose which ones to follow up on instead of following up on everything. That actually answers a lot of questions for me from previous reports that i never heard anything about, it was as if they had just poofed.......
    @nerevarine1138 is correct, there have been debates among players here on the forums. :)

We take reports, both on the forums and in-game, very seriously. This is one reason why we'd rather people use the report options when they are offended, and risk having some that don't need to be actioned.
    Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
  • Huckdabuck
    Huckdabuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it obvious.....the guy in his underwear was also RP'ing. He really didn't like that guy so he did what so many others would do if they had the stones.....he showed up and danced in his underwear on the hated persons grave. Sounds legit!
    Texashighelf - VR16 Sorcerer EP NA - FILTHY BARBARIAN
    Texasimperial - VR16 Dragonknight EP NA - How do you like your DK?
    Texas'Imperial - VR16 Dragonknight DC NA - How do you like your DK?
    Texas-Imperial - VR16 Templar DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    Texas Highelf - VR16 Sorcerer DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    Texas Imperial - VR16 Nightblade DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    It's a very grey area.
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a potential solution here may be something we've been complaining about, player phasing. It's something that we've had in place but never quite worked right, but with the right options could be more powerful. Giving folks the ability to phase out all distractions from other players by phasing out by group, guild, or quest phase. It's something that I feel if it was given more consideration and time to fix it would eliminate a lot of harrassment, immersion, and grievances; plus would save money from hiring more GMS and put it back into more development.

The tools and process is there, just seems to need a bit of planning and coding.
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [That actually answers a lot of questions for me from previous reports that i never heard anything about, it was as if they had just poofed.......

You never should hear about the report you make and what actions they take on a member. In fact, I don't think we have ever gotten feedback on a reported member. I know I have not (I have only reported two in the last year)

It is also easy to separate the reports that are reports about nothing and those reports that are about something meaningful. Also, even if one player is causing multiple reports to be generated about them, even if some or most of the reports are minor, the fact that they are generating reports due to their behavior is enough to keep an eye on them. On the forums I moderate, we have some "problem children" that never overtly step over the line, but dance along it. They are hanging themselves just as much as the one who just comes out and flames or trolls people. It just takes a little longer to build a ban case against them.

It is not the easiest thing in the world to report someone. First you have to approach them close enough to get the Interact prompt, then choose report, then type it up. Not always something you can do when mobs are around or your group mates are waiting for you. So, I don't see a bunch of nuisance reports being made, even by griefers.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone sends offensive messages that needs to be stopped immediately, but im not in support of policing where players can stand and what they can wear.

If someone is sending you offensive messages just put them on ignore. The problem is instantly solved. There is no need for GMs to get involved to put a stop to it. Players can do it themselves easily.

As to your second point: I agree. If someone wants to dress in their underwear and dance during a funeral they should be able to. I'm not going to support GMs policing our behavior to safeguard role-players from ridicule. There is something everyone does that offends someone. The players dancing in their underwear could just as easily claim that the role-playing event was annoying them and that action should be taken against the Role-Players.

GMs should be there to fix legitimate problems with the game. I don't think their role should be to tell us how we are suppose to dress or where we can do emotes; what we can or cannot make fun of. No thanks. I rather not Tamriel be turned into a police state.

This is the reason we can't have nice things. Thank you though, for providing clear and compelling evidence why this game so desperately needs the very tools I, and others, have asked for. NOBODY wants GMs to have to take their time being playground monitors. Unfortunately, that's the only option anyone has under the current system...and it works poorly. All anyone is asking for is the perfectly legitimate right to be left alone and the tools to ensure that happens while, incidentally, having absolutely zero impact on those who seek to cause offense. If I don't have to see you, then a GM doesn't have to come in and censure you and you are perfectly free to go on your merry dancing in your underwear way, none the wiser that no one knows or cares you are doing it.

I wouldn't have a problem with you being able to blank out players so you don't have to see their underwear dancing. So I got no beef with what you are proposing.

My post was a reply to another poster who was uncomfortable with GMs policing our attire and emotes. A concern I share. That is a huge gray area I rather not the GM's tread. Because as I pointed out; everyone does things that is likely to offend at least someone at some point. I don't want to feel like I'm walking on egg shells while playing ESO.

What ever issues the underwear dance at your funeral caused - I think a lot more harm would be caused if ZOS were to start dictating with a heavy hand how players should dress and what emotes they use. That's just not something a lot of us would be willing to put up with - and would likely drive many players away from the game.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 1, 2015 5:23PM
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Keron wrote: »
    @Audigy
    Don't misunderstand me, I very much agree with what you have written, but that little piece here
    Audigy wrote: »
    ...What Morna does might seem weird for some, but its her right to moan the death of another character or make all those vampire threads
    made me laugh a bit. You should change it to the intended "mourn". That one gives a completely wrong impression to the casual reader >:)
    (moan = stöhnen, mourn = betrauern)

Haha, thanks a lot :D

@MornaBaine I hope you didn't mind the tiny typo :|
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keron wrote: »
    @Audigy
    Don't misunderstand me, I very much agree with what you have written, but that little piece here
    ...What Morna does might seem weird for some, but its her right to moan the death of another character or make all those vampire threads
    made me laugh a bit. You should change it to the intended "mourn". That one gives a completely wrong impression to the casual reader >:)
    (moan = stöhnen, mourn = betrauern)

Haha, thanks a lot :D

@MornaBaine I hope you didn't mind the tiny typo :|

it made me giggle. We ARE a guild of creepy vampires after all. ;)

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You misunderstood. Alan wasn't referring to debates within the moderation team but about the debates that have been coming up on this forum between players (i.e. this thread). The moderators are not picking and choosing which tickets get followed up on, but as stated, they may not always find someone in violation of the rules.
    Policing in-game chat is fine, but policing in-game dancing? It's just completely impractical and pointless. How do you determine when it's fine to dance around in your underwear and when it becomes trolling? What about using the mystery meat to vomit in front of people? Or running around in a goblin costume? Where do we draw the line?.

Do you really expect anyone to believe that you cannot ... truly cannot ... tell the difference between "acting weird" and deliberately attempting to sabotage someone else's enjoyment of the game?

Its not "what was done". it's context. Disrespect. Pattern. Does that really truly not make sense to you?

Well, again, I have to respectfully disagree.

Sometimes I ride naked on my guar through Argonian temples. At what point do we believe that behavior constitutes trolling? More importantly, how will a GM looking through game logs be able to make any kind of objective determination about that?

That's also a problem.

For every person who is disciplined for actually intending to offend someone it is likely two people will be disciplined for having some light-hearted fun or some misinterpreted gesture taken the wrong way.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 1, 2015 5:33PM
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We shouldn't have to play unpaid shrink to people who are clearly suffering from antisocial personality disorders in the game. This is where we go to have fun and relax.

I couldn't have said this better. I'm sorry this happened to you. Clearly, some people just don't get it.
    Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the problem.

For every person who is disciplined for actually intending to offend someone it is likely two people will be disciplined for having some light-hearted fun or some misinterpreted gesture taken the wrong way.

If you said "For every person who is reported for actually intending to offend someone...", you might be correct. Since, in Morna's example and so many like it, nothing was done, I think you have little to worry about.
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the #1 reason why megaservers just can't work for RP. They should have added one just for that and I bet it could of brought more people to the game (well after the bots and big bugs were fixed) which means more money. Hope you find a way to fix it.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • Zimnel
    Zimnel
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this helps, but some crafting caves are barely visited, you could try with those for some RP events : )
    They are little and limited but good for some situations / scenarios.

Anyway, housing would be a saver for RP, same as interaction with chairs, benches and beds as stated.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the problem.

If you said "For every person who is reported for actually intending to offend someone...", you might be correct. Since, in Morna's example and so many like it, nothing was done, I think you have little to worry about.

My point was I would like to keep it that way. I don't want to see the GMs take a more active role in policing player attire and emotes. I think that would disastrous and quickly earn the spite of many players.

Hopefully player housing will come eventually and offer role-players are more secure area to house their events.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 1, 2015 5:43PM
  • Cirran
    Cirran
    ✭✭
    Op, I am sorry you feel you were trolled. I was in Dresan Keep for the first time two days ago, right at the start in the area below the well and up the hill before the first room was group of 13 people all from the same guild RPing. They were RPing in local chat. The things they were RPing about had nothing to do with Tamriel or ESO (they were pot merchants). Another 5 of them from the same guild, kept killing all the mobs as soon as they spawned. Now I did find it irritating that I basically had to ignore chat and their infantile emotes all while playing the two quests in there. I did ask the 5 that were killing the mobs to allow me to kill a few on my own. They did not bother to reply to my request. Personally I try to go by a live/let live mentality. I was originally going to report the lot of them, but decided that it took all of 27 minutes to do the quests in there and move on and I figured it was better in a low level public dungeon then add to the shenanigans that go on in the major hubs. Once I left the Dresan Keep, I did not have to deal with it any longer.
    RPers need a private instance to go to so they can do their thing with out being bothered or bothering anyone else.

Cirran
    Edited: The whole ignore would make them disappear would be fantastic. This would make the RPers and drama queens invisible to me. Wow, peace and quiet as I go about my business. I like the idea, the only thing I would like to add is the ability to put a note to each name on my ignore list. That way I can reference the reason I put them on ignore, if I run into them later in game.
    Edited by Cirran on April 1, 2015 5:46PM
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to wrap my head around the use of /ignore to phase someone away from you. Would you be separated from your group then possibly.

I'm thinking some way to offer dedicated areas for RPing might help. But there again, how do you do that without impacting other players.
  • noobfury
    noobfury
    ✭✭✭
    Also posting here to show support for the OP.

Role players are cool even though I'm not one myself.

Sadly over the years online games have become a haven for socially dysfunctional individuals who thrive on the idea of wrecking other people's fun . You take pleasure in the game and they take pleasure in trying to ruin it for you. It's really nothing new and quite common in many games.

That being said , I'm about done with the cesspool known as zone chat in this game. Ive seen worse in MOBAS but ever since the game dropped the subscription it's gotten out of control here. Of course anyone that has spent a considerable amount of time in mmos over the years new this was coming. Totally predictable.

noobfury earned the Eighth Anniversary badge.Thanks for sticking with us for 8 years. PC NA
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigM wrote: »
    This is the #1 reason why megaservers just can't work for RP. They should have added one just for that and I bet it could of brought more people to the game (well after the bots and big bugs were fixed) which means more money. Hope you find a way to fix it.

They can work better than traditional server architecture...
    "Players will fill out a questionnaire that describes their own preferred playstyle to assist the megaserver in allocating similar players to their game space. You can specify preferences for roleplaying, age groups, and degree of socialization." (source)

...but only if you design them to do so... ZOS has not...despite knowing full well they could have. So here we are.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cirran wrote: »
    Op, I am sorry you feel you were trolled. I was in Dresan Keep for the first time two days ago, right at the start in the area below the well and up the hill before the first room was group of 13 people all from the same guild RPing. They were RPing in local chat. The things they were RPing about had nothing to do with Tamriel or ESO (they were pot merchants). Another 5 of them from the same guild, kept killing all the mobs as soon as they spawned. Now I did find it irritating that I basically had to ignore chat and their infantile emotes all while playing the two quests in there. I did ask the 5 that were killing the mobs to allow me to kill a few on my own. They did not bother to reply to my request. Personally I try to go by a live/let live mentality. I was originally going to report the lot of them, but decided that it took all of 27 minutes to do the quests in there and move on and I figured it was better in a low level public dungeon then add to the shenanigans that go on in the major hubs. Once I left the Dresan Keep, I did not have to deal with it any longer.
    RPers need a private instance to go to so they can do their thing with out being bothered or bothering anyone else.

Cirran

I sympathize with your post.

To an extent we are all role-playing anyway: as none of us are actually magic-wielding elves. The guy dancing in his underwear during the funeral was in fact role-playing.

I've been annoyed by those who consider themselves role-players in the past also. Once in WoW I was doing a quest and it was pure torture for me to read their flowery over-the-top attempts at medieval language while making out in front of a fireplace. No amount of underwear dancing could have ever compared to it. Yet I didn't report them for it. Seems a silly thing to me to try and get someone into trouble over.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 1, 2015 5:52PM
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no fan of role playing and see no point in it, however, you won't catch me interfering with other people doing what they want. A person trolling you apparently stinks at the game because they are wasting time trolling instead of playing. It does beg the question however, what puts your rights to play the game how you want above theirs? Maybe they like trolling, it makes the game for them. It's stupid IMO, but maybe that's what get's them off. My answer to this question however is this: both parties have the right to play how they want but the trolling party negatively affects the other party where as the role playing party does not negatively affect the trolling party. So there is the reason why trolls are the A-holes and not the role players, in case someone was wondering why role players should have the right to complain. So I say let the role players role play....as ridiculous as it is ;-)
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huckdabuck wrote: »
    Isn't it obvious.....the guy in his underwear was also RP'ing. He really didn't like that guy so he did what so many others would do if they had the stones.....he showed up and danced in his underwear on the hated persons grave. Sounds legit!

Do you seriously believe that...?
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sacadon wrote: »
    Would it work to group and then enter an instanced vet dungeon with lots of non-mobbed space... Like Selene's Web?

Not that you should have to... but this should work no?

It works, but it only supports 4 players, which isn't always enough...and then there's always levels to consider when clearing the spaces to RP in. The group leader is the deciding factor for the level of the mobs, so if you want some 1 on 1 time with lowbies, for example, you may have to do some shuffling around with alts that can clear to wherever you want in the zone and it just turns into a logistic nightmare...but yes...we adapt and jump through flaming hoops to do so.

Yeah, that makes sense. There are some super quiet places on the map, but those are not accessible to most lowbies. How about PTS as a short term solution?

As someone mentioned earlier, being able to force the phasing of someone away, by reporting them would be very interesting indeed. And making that only work upon reporting someone of course and would only work in PvE. Also if someone used this to grief someone, I suspect ZOS could come down hard enough to demotivate it.
    Edited by Sacadon on April 1, 2015 6:03PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no fan of role playing and see no point in it, however, you won't catch me interfering with other people doing what they want. A person trolling you apparently stinks at the game because they are wasting time trolling instead of playing. It does beg the question however, what puts your rights to play the game how you want above theirs? Maybe they like trolling, it makes the game for them. It's stupid IMO, but maybe that's what get's them off. My answer to this question however is this: both parties have the right to play how they want but the trolling party negatively affects the other party where as the role playing party does not negatively affect the trolling party. So there is the reason why trolls are the A-holes and not the role players, in case someone was wondering why role players should have the right to complain. So I say let the role players role play....as ridiculous as it is ;-)

This idea that the so-called role-players do not bother anyone just isn't true though. I've been annoyed and irritated by them on several occasions through-out my gaming.

This was the point I was trying to make earlier. What annoys/offends people is all in the eye of the beholder. If people want to be left alone best to go somewhere secluded. Because if you are going to hold an event in public there will be consequences. Players who are bugged by them may react.

For role-players to expect ZOS to put a magic shield around them protecting them from being disrupted or offended just isn't realistic and would create more problems than it would solve.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huckdabuck wrote: »

Do you seriously believe that...?

Of course he was. :)

Why is it only considered Role-Playing if you try to sound like some medieval caricature?

ESO allows players to role play as murderers and thieves. Funeral disrupters dressed in their underwear is rather mild by comparison don't you think?
    Edited by Jeremy on April 1, 2015 6:08PM