The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.4 is available.

Endless Archive Progression is Too Slow

• nejcn001
    nejcn001
    ✭✭✭
    I have time to play 1-2 hours per day and im probally not the only one.
    Some saving needs to be implemented.
    Options
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I only have about 2 hours max to ESO on any given day, if the only thing I can do in the EA is replay the same easy content, I will simply not do it.
    Options
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Being able to save progress might solve the time issue. Of course that knocks you off the leaderboard but many won't care about that.

Impairing fun and functionality for a leaderboard is bad decision. I never cared for them and never will, I care for content to be fun and engaging.
    Options
  • Oznog666
    Oznog666
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that there should be a combination - i.e. leaderboard only for the run but without saving feature and saving feature without leaderboard.

I've tested it of course an PTS and the first 3 times it was fun so far. But if I play it later and I will survive for 2 or 3 hours then I'm pretty sure I will not go in again if I have to start from scratch - playing 2 or 3 hours again just to reach the point where I left the last time, thats no fun at all.
    Options
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to save progress might solve the time issue. Of course that knocks you off the leaderboard but many won't care about that.

I think if you have a save at say Arc 5 and then die and use all your lives you shouldnt be able to load the save at Arc 5.
    Options
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The time could also be greatly improved by adding an option to skip Arcs 1, or possible Arcs 1 + 2. I found Arc 1 braindead easy, so adding this unchallenging time drain onto every run is both less fun, less rewarding, and more time-consuming.

We died at a Tho'at encounter, and I really felt like retrying it until we beat it, but it would mean doing allll the easier arcs over again just to get there.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
    Options
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    XSTRONG wrote: »
    I think if you have a save at say Arc 5 and then die and use all your lives you shouldnt be able to load the save at Arc 5.

There shouldn't be any threads to begin with. Or at least an option to go without leaderboard/little or no rewards. Speaking from my perspectice, I don't care for either. I only want to go there and play it until I really can't beat it.

I ran EA only once, got bored with trash stages, wiped a couple of times because I didn't swap gear (underestimated bosses a little), eventually got out of threads, and then what? I don't feel like redoing everything. It would be better if at least there were little to zero trash stages
    Options
  • Entaro
    Entaro
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, content takes way too long to engage with for hardcore players let alone anyone else. Reducing the trashpack stages would be a good start.
    Options
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t agree with the little to no rewards part, but I do think that leaderboard progress should stop at the loss of the third thread of fate but that you should keep getting to resurrect and go endlessly as long as you want/can. And I do think there should be certain milestones spaced out along the way that once you reach one of them, when you do start over you have the option to start at that milestone instead of at the very beginning.
    Edited by Elvenheart on September 24, 2023 1:14PM
    Options
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchasable 'Skip Coins' bought with the new currency in the Vendor might be an idea.

Lets say you buy 5 Skip coins and you can choose on which stages with mobs not bosses you want to use 1 coin to skip that stage or skip all mob stages and go right to the boss.

This way progressing is much faster if you are ready to spend the new currency.

Skip Coins should get more expensive the further into the dungeon you are.

Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Purchasable 'Skip Coins' bought with the new currency in the Vendor might be an idea.

Lets say you buy 5 Skip coins and you can choose on which stages with mobs not bosses you want to use 1 coin to skip that stage or skip all mob stages and go right to the boss.

My problem with this is that progression often involves dying. A lot of dying. So you would not be getting currency. So you would burn through currency buying skip coins to get to the level you keep dying on and you run out of currency/skip coins. Now you need to run the lower levels of Endless Archive again just to make more currency to ... skip the lower levels of Endless Archive. It has a hamster-on-a-wheel feel to it. Plus, really pushing myself to get deep into Endless Archive should let me buy more fun stuff from the vendors, not less. Having to spend currency to play at a higher difficulty feels like it is punishing me for challenging myself instead of encouraging me to challenge myself.
    Options
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit thinks what this needs is a save point mechanism, where every arc can be jumped to if both members in group have unlocked it already - just have a glowy portal to the start of the next arc in the starting hall. If folks want to start from scratch they can, if they want to advance, they can, if they want to start in the middle or play with someone who has not advanced as far as they have, they can.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    Options
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit thinks what this needs is a save point mechanism, where every arc can be jumped to if both members in group have unlocked it already - just have a glowy portal to the start of the next arc in the starting hall. If folks want to start from scratch they can, if they want to advance, they can, if they want to start in the middle or play with someone who has not advanced as far as they have, they can.

This is a good Idea.

Also make the leaderboard optional by selection on entry like dungeon that have versions I & II. if you cannot do that now, remove leaderboards until you can.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Options
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really loving the archive. The concept is insanely good. But after a few runs, I'm noticing one thing that many others that have done it a few times now are also saying...

It takes TOO long to progress through it

Each of my runs has been 3-5 hours now. That is a bit more than most want to sit down for. The # of bosses per arc feels great, but I think removing one of the non-boss stages from each cycle would go a long way. So maybe 3 stages total instead of 4 for each cycle (2 stages of adds + 1 boss = 1 cycle.) The base pop starts to feel really tedious having to do the same 3 pack formula over and over to get to the bosses.

The difficulty ramp up from arc 1 > arc 2 > arc 3 > etc. feels good I think. And through the smaller increments as well. It just takes too long to progress through them.

Also, someone tested and noticed that the bosses in the arc have a pattern of 9100, 18200, 27300, and 36400 resistances. And the Marauder's that drop in also have 36400 resistances. This is especially out of whack with the rest of the adds that accompany the Marauder as they only have 9100 resistance. So essentially you have to build for WAY over pen on all of the adds on the off chance that the Marauder drops in. I'm not sure if this is intentional but thought it was worth bringing up at least in case it isn't.

This OP is not a nobody that should be dismissed. They are a very involved and knowledgeable ESO player and content creator. Please don't ignore their feedback ZOS. It's very good and informed commentary/analysis.

And the addition of yet another currency to the game is not needed either. There are already too many different currencies in ESO. The thought of a dungeon specific currency combined with an unrealistic, time consuming grind is *cringe*.

Edited by reazea on September 24, 2023 4:34PM
    Options
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reazea wrote: »
    Really loving the archive. The concept is insanely good. But after a few runs, I'm noticing one thing that many others that have done it a few times now are also saying...

It takes TOO long to progress through it

Each of my runs has been 3-5 hours now. That is a bit more than most want to sit down for. The # of bosses per arc feels great, but I think removing one of the non-boss stages from each cycle would go a long way. So maybe 3 stages total instead of 4 for each cycle (2 stages of adds + 1 boss = 1 cycle.) The base pop starts to feel really tedious having to do the same 3 pack formula over and over to get to the bosses.

The difficulty ramp up from arc 1 > arc 2 > arc 3 > etc. feels good I think. And through the smaller increments as well. It just takes too long to progress through them.

Also, someone tested and noticed that the bosses in the arc have a pattern of 9100, 18200, 27300, and 36400 resistances. And the Marauder's that drop in also have 36400 resistances. This is especially out of whack with the rest of the adds that accompany the Marauder as they only have 9100 resistance. So essentially you have to build for WAY over pen on all of the adds on the off chance that the Marauder drops in. I'm not sure if this is intentional but thought it was worth bringing up at least in case it isn't.

And the addition of yet another currency to the game is not needed either. There are already too many different currencies in ESO. The thought of a dungeon specific currency combined with an unrealistic, time consuming grind is *cringe*.

On the other hand there are people like me that enjoy earning currency while playing diffrent kind of content that can
    be used to buy shiny stuff!

You simple just need to play the content to get the currency, cant get easier then that. And if you dont want it just leave it alone and still play the content?

Options
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't want to hijack a thread. But I just had a couple of questions to ask:

1) Is Endless Archive intended to be done with two people? Is it possible to solo it?
    2) How much time would I need to invest in getting a class gear? Is that the only reward?
    Options
  • GeneralEU
    GeneralEU
    ✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

1) Is Endless Archive intended to be done with two people? Is it possible to solo it?
    2) How much time would I need to invest in getting a class gear? Is that the only reward?

You can go Solo
    You can go with 1 your friend
    You can go with your companion if you don't have friends
    Options
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1 yes you can do it solo but you will push into higher arcs more effectively with 2 people

2 entirely depends how fast you can clear arc and consistently kill marauders since the only 3 sources of class gear drops in the arena are from the arc final boss and marauders and the shop inside the arena
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
    Options
  • Entaro
    Entaro
    ✭✭✭

Can solo/Duo, harder to solo at higher Arcs/Levels, and the mini-bosses known as Marauders seem to be incredibly overturned at the moment requiring you to be very tanky to deal with them. Maybe a similar amount of time as completing Vateshran sticker book. Easiest way would probably be to run Arc 1 to completion and then reset the instance and avoid the difficulty spikes.
    Options
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the marauders feel like they are 3-4 arc difficulties above the one you are on all the time
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
    Options
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Entaro wrote: »
    Maybe a similar amount of time as completing Vateshran sticker book.

Absolutely not!

One of the worst features of the Endless Archive is just how obscenely stingy they are with the rewards.

The time it would take to completed the EA stickerbook is far, far worse than for Vateshran, and maybe even Maelstrom.

There are 7 sets. Every set has all 36 slots (since they drop in all 3 armor weights). That's 252 pieces to collect.

Vateshran has 3 gear sets with 22 items each for 66 pieces. Plus the 16 arena weapons (4x DW, 4x 1HS, 3x 2H, 3x destro, resto, bow) (but since the dual-wield drop in pairs, for the purposes of calculating how many runs are needed, it's really only 14). The arena weapons drop alongside the gear sets on the final boss, so you'll be completing both in parallel (and at around the same time).

The time it takes to complete Arc 1 is in the same ballpark as the time it takes to complete one Vateshran run. In that Arc 1 run, you will earn only one gear piece, whereas in Vateshran, there are 7 loot opportunities for the 3 gear sets. There is the possibility of just additional 1 additional gear item from the optional content in the Arc, whereas you have multiple opportunities for optional bosses in Vateshran. If you don't limit yourself to Arc 1 and venture into Arc 2, you'll get a third loot opportunity from killing the Maurauder, but Arc 2 is going to take more time than Arc 1.

So, you have far more pieces to collect. And far fewer loot opportunities. The gear grind is by no means "similar" to that of Vateshran. It's not even on the same bloody planet.

Hell, this is even worse than Maelstrom. In Maelstrom, the weapons from the 6 gear sets (not counting arena weapons, since those are easy and fast to collect) drop only on the final boss, so it will take 90 runs to fully complete Maelstrom's stickerbook, which is considerably worse than Vateshran's.

Let's say you are running just the first two Arcs in EA: that's 5 loot opportunities (assuming you do all the side content and are able to actually complete the quest if you get the quest and you successfully kill the Maurauder), so it'll take over 50 Arc1+2 runs. But the time it takes to do Arc1+2 is roughly twice the time it takes to waltz through nMA (if you're just going for stickerbook completion, you will need only 14 vet runs to complete all the arena weapons, after which point you only need to run normal for the remaining stickerbook, so most of a Maelstrom stickerbook farm would be on normal, if you're going for expediency).

And at 10K currencies for just a single curated item (and you won't be earning currencies at a decent non-pittance rate until you get to the later arcs, but, again, that's time-consuming), they might as well not figure into your equation. Even for the cheaper non-curated coffers, it'll take about two runs of Arc 1 to get enough currency to buy a single uncurated coffer.

So, yea, the reward structure in week 1 of PTS is pretty insulting and anyone looking to complete stickerbook will need to have copious amounts of time to waste.

Cycle bosses need to be changed so that they drop gear too. Limiting gear to the Tho'at is absurd and disrespectful of the player's time.
    Edited by code65536 on September 25, 2023 11:57AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
    Options
  • Ph1p
    Ph1p
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reazea wrote: »
    They need to introduce a new currency to limit how fast you can get the new rewards. If one could buy them with existing currencies, players could get all the rewards without even trying out the new content. It would be like releasing a new zone and 20 new character levels, but allowing you to buy the XP needed with gold and level up instantly.

Having said that, it only works if this repeated cycle of playing and getting rewards is balanced. Endless grinding is obviously bad for the game, but so is instant gratification I think.
    Options
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

Cycle bosses need to be changed so that they drop gear too. Limiting gear to the Tho'at is absurd and disrespectful of the player's time.

As usual I agree with you.

When I killed the first boss and got a green rubedite greatsword, 1 soulgem and some gold I thought the rewards were bugged :D
    PC-EU
    Options
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

My problem with this is that progression often involves dying. A lot of dying. So you would not be getting currency. So you would burn through currency buying skip coins to get to the level you keep dying on and you run out of currency/skip coins. Now you need to run the lower levels of Endless Archive again just to make more currency to ... skip the lower levels of Endless Archive. It has a hamster-on-a-wheel feel to it. Plus, really pushing myself to get deep into Endless Archive should let me buy more fun stuff from the vendors, not less. Having to spend currency to play at a higher difficulty feels like it is punishing me for challenging myself instead of encouraging me to challenge myself.

So they could add save/restart tokens that are bought from vendor with the new ea currency.

Reason why I think the price should increase the further into the dungeon you are is because you earn more currency the further you are so I see nothing wrong with that.

If someone just could put up a free save at say Arc 10 that they can farm quickly, dont you think players will utillize that to earn max amount of currency without progressing?

Skip coins in my opinion is a way to encourage players to spend currency later on, lets say stages at Arc 1 cost 1 skip coin but stages at Arc 4 cost 2 skip coins etc

And maybe add skip coins as loot from bosses? ;)
    Edited by XSTRONG on September 25, 2023 5:49PM
    Options
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some Hard Core players want the content crazy hard, but for noobs or even more lay back players. We want easy or middle easy content that is fun. We do not want crazy hard content to make the 1%'ers happy who want crazy hard content.
    Options
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »
    Some Hard Core players want the content crazy hard, but for noobs or even more lay back players. We want easy or middle easy content that is fun. We do not want crazy hard content to make the 1%'ers happy who want crazy hard content.

This is a concern. While I respect challenging content for the better players, what’s the purpose of creating content if the majority of players cannot do it or it just takes too long to do it. It seems that there is a normal and vet mode, so I am curious about the difficulty level between the two and the rewards offered.

Edit: Well guess there is no normal / vet mode. Alchast's website says, "Welcome to the Endless Archive guide for the Elder Scrolls Online. The Endless Archive is a new type of endless dungeon/arena added to ESO in Update 40. This guide is for both Normal and Veteran mode." Guess he needs to re-word that.
    Edited by maxjapank on September 25, 2023 11:07PM
    Options
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is no normal or vet version.
    Options
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »

This is a concern. While I respect challenging content for the better players, what’s the purpose of creating content if the majority of players cannot do it or it just takes too long to do it. It seems that there is a normal and vet mode, so I am curious about the difficulty level between the two and the rewards offered.

"Normal" is just arcs 1 and 2.
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tried it yet-- and I didn't read every post here, so apologies if this was already suggested-- but as far as being able to skip early arcs, that might not be allowed as long as it's for the leaderboard (for standardization reasons).

So maybe there could be an option upon starting to try for the leaderboard or not, and if it isn't for the leaderboard then have an option to begin with a particular arc that the character has already cleared?

I suppose that would require a new per-character database field to keep track of the highest arc each character has cleared. For instance, if the character has cleared up through arc 12, maybe they could opt to start with some arc from 1 to 12?

And if two players were running it together, the highest starting arc would need to be based on the character with the lower highest-cleared number. For instance, if one character has cleared up through arc 12 but the other character has only cleared up through arc 8, then the duo would have the option to start with some arc from 1 to 8.

If one player started playing solo and then wanted to invite another player somewhere along the way, the second player's character would need to have already cleared whichever arc the first player's character is currently in.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey all, just wanted to let you know that we are planning to make some adjustments to the difficulty curve in Infinite Archive in next week's PTS patch. Keep the feedback coming!
    Edited by ZOS_Kevin on December 17, 2023 9:39PM
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post