Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Feedback Thread For ESO 2023 Global Reveal- The Elder Scrolls Online: Necrom!

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for tuning in for the global reveal. If you missed the first showing, there is a rerun of the global reveal happening right now on Twitch.com/Bethesda. The VOD of the main show will also be updated once available.

Now that The Elder Scrolls Online: Necrom has been revealed, we want to hear from you! Let us know what you think of the upcoming chapter. The things you like, dislike, or have general questions about. This is your thread to communicate your initial thoughts about Necrom with the forum community and ZOS. We will use commentary posted here as a reference point for communication between now and Necrom release.

Your constructive feedback will let us know what information we can better clarify leading up to launch and beyond. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on Necrom!

*Friendly reminder to keep the Community Rules in mind when replying. Thank you!
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on May 18, 2023 5:08PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter

Official Feedback Thread For ESO 2023 Global Reveal- The Elder Scrolls Online: Necrom! 440 votes

Very excited for the upcoming Necrom Chapter
30%
Nestordriosketchk9mousedelta_mysticGalentohopka_esoDaveMoeDeegameswithaspoonLonePiratenick59349b14_ESOSvenjaproteinexefreespiritflizomicaSotha_SilShagrethwsmith97ub17_ESOBlazynSorakakadok00 135 votes
Somewhat excited for the upcoming Necrom Chapter
24%
NewBlacksmurfcalitrumanb14_ESOWhiteCoatSyndromeCredible_JoewookiefriseurninibiniXelyumEdrikkwisatzMuizerujimaxBallermfrauHaenkTandorkuma82peacenoteParasaurolophusCillion3117DerraDestai 108 votes
Wanted something different for the upcoming Necrom Chapter
44%
MuffinmanlaurajfCasdhaCireousSolarikenMoloch1514chessalavakia_ESOacastanza_ESOBelegnoleThorntongueAratobeardedJoeJahoelwenchmore420b14_ESOxaraanamonengelb16_ESOcybyonlineb16_ESOKendaricIruil_ESOMaerdiath 197 votes
Staff Post
  • Muffinman
    Muffinman
    ✭✭✭
    No pvp content? Thought there was going to be a new feature. A new class isn't a feature. All the story content is so easy it's boring now.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not interested in dunmer, but the Arcanist class seems nifty. Need more character slots though. Mora may be more fun than the rest of the daedra.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • TinyDragon
    TinyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    I am not looking for a new class; I don't think it was the most requested feature, and I'm super disappointed that it's what we're getting
    I also think the sound effects are way off- it sounds like a new game with some sort of tech, and looks like it with the effects, versus something from the Elder Scrolls franchise

The landscape, lands and story seems exciting though- Apocrypha looks just like it did, and the city of Necrom looks so intriguing
    Edited by TinyDragon on January 25, 2023 9:29PM
  • tralce
    tralce
    ✭✭✭
    Well, now that we're getting a new class, and most of us are already at max character slots, we're gonna get class change tokens, right? Right?
    PC/NA
    GM, Walks-the-Uncharted
  • Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why another class? It adds nothing for CURRENT characters. We're once again forced to make a new character to just play the same thing with new flashy graphics.
  • TinyDragon
    TinyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    tralce wrote: »
    Well, now that we're getting a new class, and most of us are already at max character slots, we're gonna get class change tokens, right? Right?

Apparently there will be 2 more character slots; I have 18 max level toons, and I was really hoping we'd get 3 but at least there's some I suppose
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything looks good and the new class might be something unique instead of a generic trope, but I personally wanted some actual challenging overland PVE content.

You give us these "cool" classes but give us very little in the way of having to use their coolness when we can all just spam 1 key/button/skill to kill every enemy in the game.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zone is nice, if story is decent at least would be good experience. Presentation is hard to watch as a long time player as it's 100% focused on an elder scrolls players that are on a fence to try eso. Without a class change token or multi class the "feature" is kinda pointless for a lot of us.

Well not even talking PvP. Guess next year.
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New class looks better than I expected; I'll probably make one, but I'm not super excited to grind all the tedious stuff again
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • LadyHeloise
    LadyHeloise
    ✭✭✭
    Very happy with the look and theme of the new class, and will try it out, but agree that something substantial for existing characters is needed too.

New zone looks cool too, though the mushroom towers are still a bit fleshy for my tastes. Looking forward to Apocrypha though.
    Edited by LadyHeloise on January 25, 2023 9:37PM
    PC-EU.
  • Hesperax79
    Hesperax79
    ✭✭✭
    New class and one new "endless arena content" at the end of a year are much less that it was in the past. I hope that the price of the ESO+ will show this lessen of contents also...

Beside on the less content for same money the two biggest disappointment is the following:

- No real new system what can be used on all class. No, new class is not a new system
    - No new PvP content (since 5 years OMG!)
  • Broken23
    Broken23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new class is fine. I was hoping for some additional mechanics, but being able to experience the game from another class just fuels my desire to play. However, I will not pre-purchase the chapter.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mixed bag. Love the setting and Apocrypha looked great, the new class sounds like fun, but… there’s just nothing for players that are not interested in a new class. And yet nothing for PvP players? Seems like all concerns have been brushed aside yet again, but to appease the general audience a new class with basically no real applications in Elder Scrolls was created to give a flashy feature you can make money off.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just infuriating that there is no mention to fixes for PVP environments, no new PVP systems or content. Just another class to grind out through an awfully repetitive PVE environment.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The zone looks great, and the story sounds interesting for the chapter. The new class even looks great. But new classes are incredibly frustrating for established players imo.

And I think the AwA update was meant to curb some of that. But there are still achievements, motifs, plans, crafting, skill lines, etc, that are tied to characters. For many players, their "main" characters have done everything, learned everything, participate in everything. And while AwA eased the burden on some of the mundane achievements, like monster trophies, things like Grand Overlord are character specific and take a ton of time.

And it is time, especially time spent leveling another class, that just seems like a hard sell when it also involves not spending time working towards the character specific things.

Same with quests. If you enjoy the new class, as a player, there are essentially 3 reasons to start up a new class: Questing, End Game PVE, PVP.

Questing: The quest volume in the game took me years to complete fully on 1 character. I can't imagine doing that again on another one just to play the class. There are players who are more than content to do so. What does that mean for me though, I spin up the new class and avoid quests. Or, I quest the new zone with the class and then repeat it on my main as well. I did the latter with Morrowind and it wasn't a great experience.

End Game PVE: It's a skill line and skill point farm. A race to get the character dungeon/trial ready. Most of which can already be purchased.

PVP: Same skill line and skill point farm.

The point is, the things that go into starting a new character, let alone a new class, are things that players have done repeatedly, over and over again. But they aren't things that are actually adding to players playing the game. Players would just spend the time they sink into building the character up into actually doing the content they are building the character for.

Class change tokens would solve this. Not everyone would use them, but there are certainly players who will. Even if it meant you had to re-level your class skills, it would still be a better option that what we have now. Not to mention, there are players who have been playing the same character since before new classes were introduced, myself included. I'd have loved to have been playing a Necro from day 1, or maybe even the upcoming Arcanist, but that wasn't an option at the time. And now, the only option available is to start over on a new character to even get a chance to experience the class.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mixed feelings. Firstly, the positive: it looks like they've knocked it out of the park in terms of worldbuilding once again.

Necrom looks absolutely STUNNING. For me, they've captured the Dunmer feel, but given us something that still really feels distinct and unique. They've also absolutely nailed Apocrypha. I am SO excited to see both. To the world artists, I love you guys, you make this game.

I also really love the cosmic horror idea, and the play on Shadow Over Innismouth. I love Hermaeus Mora angle. It'll be interesting to see how well they can pull this off.

I'm disappointed about the new class. I have a main, which I've invested in and played almost exclusively since 2014. I'm not super interested in playing something else, or leaving behind the one I've already sunk so much time, story and achievement into. So this year's big new system is for *others*, not me, nor people like me. Which is fine, just a personal disappointment off the back of super hype. I hope in future that new systems, especially when being the primary new system for the entire year, incorporate things for our existing characters.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don’t think centring a class around a daedric Prince was a good move. Plus there wasn’t really anything else than the other stuff we have seen years and years before, just same stuff different skin…
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel misled that a third class was a "most requested feature". The zone looks like a smaller Morrowind, and the story of a daedric prince and some dark magic baddies trying to destroy the world feels totally overdone.

How will existing characters grow/develop through this story?

I feel this game is in a funk, and I worry it won't improve. This will be the first chapter I don't pre-order.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it is kinda bad to judge the book by its cover, so I will try the new chapter, but... new class ? Really ?

Is it the most requested feature ? Just look at any survey on this forums. New class is maybe 3rd or 4th thing players want. For the most part it was either new weapon skill line or class change token or trial / arena group finder support.

At they beginning of the stream, they said that this is gonna be "the best chapter ever". That is um... very bold statement. I admire their confidence tbh.
  • Alpharos7
    Alpharos7
    ✭✭✭
    I am excited for the new chapter. The new feature isn't what I was expecting, but looks interesting- not quite sure why we needed another wizard type class when we already have Sorcerer but it looks good. Just hoping it isn't too complicated and overly reliant on tricks to run properly.

Necrom and apocrypha look really good, just hoping that ZOS resists the urge to turn Hermaus Mora into a world invading boss, as that isn't who he is or what he does. Also, did anyone else notice the new crates are called 'unfeathered'? It's gotten me intrigued.
    PS5 EU (UK) 668CP - Avid Roleplayer and Elder Scrolls fan!

Kurog Gularz - Orc - Stamina Dragonknight
    Ancano Galerion - High Elf - Magicka Sorcerer
    Manabi Zenammu - Dark Elf - Magicka Dragonknight
    Warlock Necros - High Elf Vampire - Magicka Nightblade
    Rajirr Nightclaw - Khajit - Stamina Nightblade
    Drifa Deathweaver - Nord - Stamina Necromancer
    Aurodil - High Elf - Magicka Templar
    Mother Daenia - Breton - Stamina Warden
    Souless-Robot - Orc - Stamina Sorcerer
    Ursine Wildheart - Nord - Stamina Warden
    He'lea Asakale - Imperial - Stamina Templar
    Necrosa Corpse-Caller - High Elf - Magicka Necromancer
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always excited for new story content and a new zone to explore, but I would have preferred story mode dungeons to a new class.

Also, Rich teased an endless co-op dungeon with a buddy. Please, please, please make it playable for 1 player + 1 companion too. Scale the enemies or do whatever you have to do depending on whether it's 2 players or 1 player + companion. Otherwise it'll be a feature I never use.

• Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sadly, I am very disappointed.

The show just proved we will have the same fomulaic content with... less content than during previous years. Nothing fresh, nothing groundbreaking, nothing original.

A new class is not something I was hoping for when I read about 'the most requested feature'. Apparently not on my request list.

A new class is useless for me unless I can play it on my main which would require a class change token.

A new story is not something I'm gonna do without introducing an overland difficulty increase. I stopped doing quests around Murkmire just because of that. The game is too easy and as a result - too boring and not engaging at all.

Assuming you showed us the best looking (visually) corners of the upcoming zone, the new Necrom zone looks like Vvardenfell 2.0. Sometimes I had a feeling you were showing us Vvardenfell and not Telvanni Peninsula.

I'm not gonna buy the chapter and definitely not going to come back to the game. Still on my break then. But happy that people are happy.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is very difficult to please the Playerbase nowadays and while some are disappointed or upset about the new chapter, others are very happy about it and I am truly happy for those people!!!!
    Sadly I am not one of them because I am not a Dark elf nor Morrowind fan nor I needed a new class or 2 more companions.
    Like really a Redguard?

First chapter I won't preorder.
    Waiting for a Bosmer chapter...
    Edited by Lady_Galadhiel on January 25, 2023 9:50PM
    Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.Lewis Carroll
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very... I always love a new story and PvE zone to explore.
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    The city above Necrom looks pretty good. Got the ghostly white buildings and towers, very nice. I just hope that the zone will be connected to Deshaan and/or Bal Foyen, so that we can walk into the Telvanni Peninsula manually, without needing to resort to fast travel. That gate in Bangkorai still doesn't connect up to the Reach
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • VictorDragonslayer
    VictorDragonslayer
    ✭✭✭
    These pre-purchase mount and pet are... not very pleasant for my eyes. I'm not going to preorder the chapter.
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Dunmer and the location but I was really hoping for new skills lines for all pre existing classes like a new melee weapon and or stave, even spellcrafting or another skill line like the Psijic Skill line. Since I am not an alt player I would be essentially paying full price for a chapter sized zone and new story because I don't want to start a new class; I want to play my main.

Issues with starting a new class:
    - Mount Learning (180 days) (Or paying you guys more money for books)
    - Trait Crafting Learning (3 months)
    - Having to run thru all old zone story quests for skill points
    - Paying you guys more money to buy crystal shards to get all skill points
    - Paying you guys more money to learn all old guild skill lines

If you see the theme here, a new class is a cash grab. It's for new players or for those who can't dedicate themselves to a main and or are alt-a-holics in which case will never complete the new class by dedicating it as their main by doing everything anyways.

I'm not trying to take the fun away from those who enjoy new classes but for those of us who are attached to our mains for the last decade and have most motifs, mount fully upgraded and all traits learned with every skill point and Emperor titles, why can't we get new skill lines to further enhance the old classes?
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    never thought I'm gonna miss greymoor and elsweyr chapters....
  • TinyDragon
    TinyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    I think also, if zos is seeking what they "can better clarify leading up to launch and beyond" they should be sure to include the features they discuss within the article in the reveal, and not give us some spin to make it sound better.

-from the core combat developer deep dive:
    "Many skill lines are staples from previous TES games"
    this isn't reflected in the arcanist, and there are still big gaps in gameplay style that have not been filled
    where are my fireballs from skyrim? my 1h and magic? the need for a staff is ever-present
    there's not a lot of brawler style stuff either, imo, as a class- you'd have to ignore your whole toolkit for this to work

-from the studio director's letter 2022
    "Now that we have hundreds and hundreds (and hundreds!) of hours of questing content, enough for four or five regular RPGs, we are hearing from our new players that the sheer number of zones and stories and characters is intimidating. And, on the other hand, our veteran players consistently tell us that they would like more content that isn't played through just once—they would like more content they can enjoy for years; content that utilizes our already existing zones to add new things to do, and most importantly, introduces some new gameplay.   "

I can't see how this has been reflected in this year AT ALL. What is using the existing zones? As what I read as a major hint, I'm not happy to see it ignored.

"Given the above, 2023 will see us moving away from the "Year Long Adventure” 12-month storylines that we have featured since 2019's Season of the Dragon. I think these have run their course and frees us up to do some new and interesting content that we've been wanting to do for a few years now—and lets us return to expansive story arcs that unfold over multiple Chapters. "

Why wasn't this mentioned either? It feels like a missed opportunity to hype for years to come!

"Q4: Rather than the usual zone DLC, we'll be featuring a new system. We are working on the concept and design for this now; we’ll give more details during our Global Reveal Event early next year. "

I would hardly call one sentence more details. Especially when it was play-acted to be begrudging. It doesn't feel in the spirit of excitement- sorry Rich.

And that's not even going back to the review of server code that was spoken about like, a year ago? And not mentioned again from my understanding.

TL;DR
    I will always prefer a small teaser of reality than some hype which ends up disappointing me. I don't think there's a need for such secrecy and control; smaller tidbits in advance would have been more exciting than the speculation we've had on the forums.
    Edited by TinyDragon on January 25, 2023 10:10PM
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the elephant in the room "spellcrafting" - there's a lot that can be said about the niavete of holding out hope and there's some cynicism in the community surrounding it, which is fair enough.

But I think that ZOS has a clear mandate from the community to deliver spellcrafting, eventually, and its been loud and clear that your fans want this system, and have done so, since the game was announced.

Although cynically attributed to a desire to "break the game", one key observation to make about the reasons behind the desire for spellcrafting- if you pay close attention- is is that the spellcrafting system teased back in 2014 demonstrated powers and abilities that feel like classic Elder Scrolls elements, which many Elder Scrolls fans really feel that the class and skill system really dropped the ball with, and have continued to fail to capture.