The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

And another block bug...

Zastrix
Zastrix
✭✭✭✭
Block sometimes won't work in an instance at all... When I logged in for the first time after this patch I couldn't block. I could bash but not block. After changing the area/instance it helped. Now, that might seem as an okay solution but I sometimes you can't leave/enter an instance. I just did a battleground where I could not block.
Edited by ZOS_Volpe on December 20, 2022 7:29PM
110-114k Stage 4 Vamprie Magblade u39
Aldmeri Dominion did nothing wrong in Shadowfen.
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks for sending this over! Could you try enabling the in-game Scrolling Combat Text to confirm if you are seeing any blocked damage or not? Just trying to eliminate the possibility of this being an animation issue.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sending this over! Could you try enabling the in-game Scrolling Combat Text to confirm if you are seeing any blocked damage or not? Just trying to eliminate the possibility of this being an animation issue.

I'll do that. But I saw that I had stamina recovery + I didn't have any speed penalty. I'll record it again when it happens.
  • Ch3mical_92
    Ch3mical_92
    ✭✭✭
    This "new" blockbug was present on console since Firesong, additionally to the "old" blockbug after bashing/dodgeing.
    It does not block the incoming damage if it happens.
  • greytday137
    greytday137
    ✭✭✭
    We had this issue day 1 on console. You can press L2 all day and never be blocking, which isn't ideal for most content, especially on a tank. We tried everything else to try to fix it, the only way to fix it is to leave instance, and there's no way to tell when it strike. Now we do block checks before we start content, and sometimes half way through content
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno any news on a hot fix??
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

We're still trying to pinpoint what exactly is going on. Given this is supposedly only happening in certain instances and there's no known way to reproduce it, it's been tricky to figure out. We've been investigating all morning though and will continue to do so. In the meantime, if anyone is in-game on PC and runs into this issue, please stay put and let us know.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • JN_Slevin
    JN_Slevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We're still trying to pinpoint what exactly is going on. Given this is supposedly only happening in certain instances and there's no known way to reproduce it, it's been tricky to figure out. We've been investigating all morning though and will continue to do so. In the meantime, if anyone is in-game on PC and runs into this issue, please stay put and let us know.

Would logs help you in an instance where it was happening? I dont exactly know when it happened but i logged the whole run.
    Work hard, and you will be rewarded. Spend wisely, and you will be comfortable. Never steal, or you will be punished.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno This video has some additional details clarifying the nature of this bug:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo3r7htWAx8
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is getting hilarious :D
    PC-EU
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    JN_Slevin wrote: »

Would logs help you in an instance where it was happening? I dont exactly know when it happened but i logged the whole run.

Couldn't hurt. Could you try DMing them to me?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭

I did record this but the file it too powerful. Shot version is: no. No damage is blocked, no movement penalty and have regen. Block straight-out doesn't work and dying in battleground can cause the bug.
  • JN_Slevin
    JN_Slevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JN_Slevin wrote: »

Couldn't hurt. Could you try DMing them to me?

Done.
    Work hard, and you will be rewarded. Spend wisely, and you will be comfortable. Never steal, or you will be punished.
  • definitelygee
    definitelygee
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Hello. I have confirmed this bug. Here are some things I have found to make this 100% reproducible each time.

-Go into vKA trial
    -Have all gear equipped sword and board front bar ice staff back bar
    -Sheathe your weapons on your s&b bar and start spamming bar swap
    -If it doesnt work on the first try, then try a few more times and it happens for sure
    -Try blocking
    -Block doesnt show up and you no longer have the ability to block and you cannot block any incoming damage regardless of bar
    -Leave the trial instance
    -Block is now back until you try this again in a tril

I dont know if this is the ONLY use case with vKA and sword and shield etc. But this will help you replicate and debug
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is going on with the QA? Did the entire department get shifted to working on the new IP?

How is it that fixing the perma heavy bug causes the block drop bug, we were forced to wait a month for a fix to that, only to have the fix cause another gamebreaking block bug?

Why aren't these fixes being properly tested?

What happened to @ZOS_RichLambert 's promise to "do better" with patches post-firesong release?
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Hello. I have confirmed this bug. Here are some things I have found to make this 100% reproducible each time.

-Go into vKA trial
    -If it doesnt work on the first try, then try a few more times and it happens for sure
    -Try blocking
    -Block doesnt show up and you no longer have the ability to block and you cannot block any incoming damage regardless of bar

I dont know if this is the ONLY use case with vKA and sword and shield etc. But this will help you replicate and debug

Thank you! Just passed this along.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Debbycus
    Debbycus
    ✭✭

-Go into vKA trial
    -Try blocking

Reproduced this in the Leyawiin bank too, lol.

But can't reproduce it in my house & in the bank again.

(I am Debstrix in game. Would love to change my name here too.)
    Edited by Debbycus on December 5, 2022 4:39PM
    PC-EU
    Co-GM of the Forgibbons
  • definitelygee
    definitelygee
    ✭✭✭

-Go into vKA trial
    -Try blocking

Thank you! Just passed this along.

@ZOS_GinaBruno thank you very much. Here is also a video of me reproducing this in another trial Rockgrove. I have Bandits UI installed so you can see my cursor/reticle change each time i block: https://youtu.be/ZBZXXiWVgZw
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for clarity sake, this happens with all weapons (and no weapons). Seems to happen in most instances, though haven't been able to reproduce it in Fungal Grotto 1 or Vvardenfell I have reproduced it in instances such as Crypt of Hearts I and II, The Dread Cellar, and Rockgrove, among others, (difficulty doesn't matter, either). The steps are reliable.

Additionally, I reproduced this in Blackwood, teleported into Rockgrove, and it was still bugged.

Edited by Troodon80 on December 5, 2022 4:53PM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    Just for clarity sake, this happens with all weapons (and no weapons). Seems to happen in most instances, though haven't been able to reproduce it in Fungal Grotto 1 or Vvardenfell I have reproduced it in instances such as Crypt of Hearts I and II, The Dread Cellar, and Rockgrove, among others, (difficulty doesn't matter, either). The steps are reliable.

Additionally, I reproduced this in Blackwood, teleported into Rockgrove, and it was still bugged.

Are you still in-game with this happening?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »

Are you still in-game with this happening?
    Yes. I'm just teleporting in and out to test various instances.

I've also tried all the usual things which would usually fix issues like this, such as unequipping weapons, completely unequipping gear, dodge rolling, heavy attacking, opening the crown store, viewing a pet, equipping a polymorph, equipping and unequipping a hat, etc. The only fix seems to be porting to a completely different instance. Even teleporting to and from instances where it was already bugged -- e.g. from Blackwood to Rockgrove with no detours -- while sometimes works, isn't guaranteed to fix the block issue as I've had it twice now where it didn't fix.

It seems to simply be the act of sheathing and immediately bar swapping. Seems like it can happen in any zone.

Edited by Troodon80 on December 5, 2022 5:13PM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Debbycus
    Debbycus
    ✭✭
    Reproduced it in the Leyawiin bank, Sunspire, my primary residence, Daggerfall, Bad Man's Hollow. None of them carried over to the next place I went to.

Adding Deshaan & The Forgotten Crypts to the list.

I *think* visually there's a bit of stutter/jankiness when the bug happens, like it tries to bar-swap twice at the same time.
    Edited by Debbycus on December 5, 2022 5:15PM
    PC-EU
    Co-GM of the Forgibbons
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: I can confirm it. First tries at vRG nothing but then i vent to vKA and bam block don't work at first try.
    Edited by davidtk on December 5, 2022 5:17PM
    Really sorry for my english
  • luchtt
    luchtt
    ✭✭✭

Hello, the easiest way to reproduce this bug in any instance is to:
    Sheathe weapon
    Light attack (without unsheathing first, let it automatically do it)
    Barswap immedeatly after.

This will lock your block out of existence until you either relog or port to a seperate instance.
    This is as far as I know the only way to actually reproduce this bug, but it may happen in other cases too.

EDIT: might do more edits to update you on when more replications of this are found, but found 2 more:

Barswapping at the same instant you die, will cause it.

Barswapping while going through an interactable door will also do it.
    Edited by luchtt on December 5, 2022 5:49PM
  • Ysarden-1
    Ysarden-1
    was in vCoA 2, for me blocking was normal for the first half and couldnt block after second boss,
    tank had the problem at the first boss, relogged and then it was fine for the rest, for him
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    React wrote: »
    What is going on with the QA? Did the entire department get shifted to working on the new IP?

How is it that fixing the perma heavy bug causes the block drop bug, we were forced to wait a month for a fix to that, only to have the fix cause another gamebreaking block bug?

Why aren't these fixes being properly tested?

What happened to @ZOS_RichLambert 's promise to "do better" with patches post-firesong release?

It seems like a falling domino effect, where each successive bug fix introduces another bug, ad infinitum.

Ubiquitous quality control issues are never good for a company's reputation. It can affect interest in and sales of future products.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • MovieGuru83
    MovieGuru83
    ✭✭
    Our DB team has been having this problem since the patch hit console. It's mostly been our main tank who gets it, but we could barely go a run without him getting it. It got so bad that he canceled trials for all 3 teams in our guild until the patch tomorrow night. By the sounds of this thread, it's unlikely to be fixed then. The roll dodge/bash bug is manageable enough, just a minor annoyance, really. This "new" block bag makes running trifectas virtually futile, and all 3 of our raid groups are now in different trifecta progs. The other team I'm on is in a TTT prog, and it keeps happening during the triplets fight in Halls.
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been a very entertaining day reading all of this
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our DB team has been having this problem since the patch hit console. It's mostly been our main tank who gets it, but we could barely go a run without him getting it. It got so bad that he canceled trials for all 3 teams in our guild until the patch tomorrow night. By the sounds of this thread, it's unlikely to be fixed then. The roll dodge/bash bug is manageable enough, just a minor annoyance, really. This "new" block bag makes running trifectas virtually futile, and all 3 of our raid groups are now in different trifecta progs. The other team I'm on is in a TTT prog, and it keeps happening during the triplets fight in Halls.

Based on what I've seen elsewhere, it looks like console has had this bug for a while.

Why did it not get more attention?
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin since the mods are going around shutting down every block bug discussion topic even if they are contextually different and this topic is the one they keep referring people to

If you are holding shift and running in a direction then block, the block isn't registering as a block until you release shift. You will still be moving at the same speed but the block won't work.

If this bug is due to Syrabane's Ward can we please get the U35 version with Syrabane's ward being disabled or broken until then? It's not that good of a bonus to give us a full patch cycle of a broken block