The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

And another block bug...

• DeathStalker
    DeathStalker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the reason for no fix for 2 weeks because of stadia?
  • dkblight
    dkblight
    ✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »
    FluffyBird wrote: »

I don't know how many times people are going to have to comment about less assets being pushed towards cosmetic departments and more towards the health of the game itself. I know Rich said that artists and designers don't code the mechanics, but then hire less artists and designers and spend those assets on coders. It's really simple stuff. No good have an elephant mount if no-one is around to ride it.

100% agree, it feels like a continuous slap and punch to the players face when I see ToT streams, streams about the design/imagery/music of the game, dropping crown store items, constant events back to back, and yet the bugs keep stacking and getting worse. Hire some coders or transfer back some from the new game with unknown results as this game needs some serious attention. Stop listening to the what the players wanted years ago and listen to what the players want right now.

Till then, I will unfortunately and hopefully temporarily adapt.
    Edited by dkblight on December 7, 2022 6:23PM
  • Flangdoodle
    Flangdoodle
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone has posted this already, but last night we found that if you sheathe your weapon and bar-swap, you can't block - but if you just repeat (sheathe, then bar-swap) you can block again.

I don't know if the *game* registers it as a block - I'm just referring to the animation. In the first instance (no block) your character doesn't go into block position and in the second they are in block position and the transparent "shield" reappears in front.

We tried it several times, and it worked each time.
    Edited by Flangdoodle on December 7, 2022 6:46PM
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone has posted this already, but last night we found that if you sheathe your weapon and bar-swap, you can't block - but if you just repeat (sheathe, then bar-swap) you can block again.

I don't know if the *game* registers it as a block - I'm just referring to the animation. In the first instance (no block) your character doesn't go into block position and in the second they are in block position and the transparent "shield" reappears in front.

We tried it several times, and it worked each time.

Just tired it, the fix doesn't work.

Neither does the mount thing work in Vvardenfell.
    Edited by Zastrix on December 7, 2022 6:57PM
    110-114k Stage 4 Vamprie Magblade u39
    Aldmeri Dominion did nothing wrong in Shadowfen.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saw this coming. Hope for an actual fix next year, folks, and hope there are still some people interested in raiding by that point.

I would very much like an explanation of what's taking so long to fix and why there was a change to block in the first place. It would make it feel less like we're being led around by the nose until we get bored and spend crowns.

This bug was a separate bug from the first one, but since it's the same function they thought they were connected. The time is due to all companies involved but most Google for Stadia as they have to approve any change that comes down.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is the reason for no fix for 2 weeks because of stadia?

It's not just Stadia. Sony and Microsoft have to agree/approve any changes as well, but yes mostly Stadia. Which is frustrating because why wait for a system that is being shutdown in a month, but there is legal contracts saying they have to.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would very much like an explanation of what's taking so long to fix and why there was a change to block in the first place. It would make it feel less like we're being led around by the nose until we get bored and spend crowns.

They haven't mentioned why, but it coincides with the release (to the live server) of https://eso-sets.com/set/syrabanes-ward.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Flangdoodle
    Flangdoodle
    ✭✭✭
    Zastrix wrote: »

Just tired it, the fix doesn't work.

Neither does the mount thing work in Vvardenfell.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

BTW, forgot to mention this was PC/NA Gray Host at about 6-ish PST

• Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would very much like an explanation of what's taking so long to fix and why there was a change to block in the first place.

What Jaraal said sets that affect blocking may have made some changes necessary. Also, the game is apparently so convoluted that changes in one area may have consequences for other areas. The block bug they fixed in the last patch was caused by another bug fix revolving around heavy attacks and bashing - i.e. things that have some connection to blocking but aren't actually blocking. So apart from Syrabane's Ward, we also have Faun's Cladding (removes your ability to do anything) or Stormweaver's Cavort (changes the cost of most stamina actions to magicka) - maybe that required changes to block in the background. Or other changes that by coincidence affected blocking. At this point, who knows.
    I also wouldn't be surprised if re-factoring of some code is still going on in the background, and pushed out bit by bit.
  • Didact805
    Didact805
    ✭✭✭
    I also want to point out that inclusive of this bug, I *think* block mitigation isn't calculated properly? I was on my Warden in Cyrodiil BR - and ate a 12K leap while using the SnB ult.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've gotten the block bug 3 times in 30 minutes in Cyrodiil. Luckily out of combat when I discovered it so could mount and do the thing, but its probably triggering in combat. I just usually notice as I use it to dismount, or after going through doors to avoid the long as sheething

Really frustrating
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on December 8, 2022 2:02AM
  • Maul_Rat
    Maul_Rat
    ✭✭✭
    The block bug acts just like the combat bug (still happens in the game occasionally) where you are in combat but can not auto-attack or use abilities. Ran vet Tempest Island and got the blocking bug after switching bars. I was also the tank so I had to dodge roll the entire time. You simply can not block no matter how many times you slam right click, no animation will occur.

You can definitely rule out internet connections.
    I just want man flesh.
  • dkblight
    dkblight
    ✭✭
    So far my one bar tank can block fine, and do v direfrost on hm, the issue though, is be it razor caltrops or weakness to elements, at least in direfrost, the major breach breaks early or doesn't apply at all.

razor last 4.1 secs, but shouldn't it reapply if I spam the the use or at least in 10 secs?
    Weakness to elements should last 24 secs, often it fails after 14 secs and then it won't reapply no matter how much to spam the button.

I found a temp solution to your block bug, but then you have this bs too, just too cruel.

Guess I'll drop ice staff and do S&B and hope the puncture breach holds. (update it holds thankfully)
    Edited by dkblight on December 8, 2022 5:01AM
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's definitely not just a rare minor bug you get by doing something unnatural like swapping sheathed weapons repeatedly. Happened to me about a dozen times in 2.5 hours in Cyrodiil. Was wondering what I am doing but it seems to hit some and not others. Hit a buddy like that yesterday.

Nothing like seeing a leap or meteor incoming, or try to block a bow proc rather than dodge and just have to eat it.
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ahjc5g2bcnhh.jpg
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RevJJ wrote: »
    Back in September there was an exploit where people could complete endeavors multiple times and I believe even duplicate items. It was patched within a day.

They can fix this faster, they just choose not to because they don’t think it’s an important enough bug to hotfix since it doesn’t directly impact their revenue.

This seems to be the case.
    It's definitely not just a rare minor bug you get by doing something unnatural like swapping sheathed weapons repeatedly. Happened to me about a dozen times in 2.5 hours in Cyrodiil. Was wondering what I am doing but it seems to hit some and not others. Hit a buddy like that yesterday.

Nothing like seeing a leap or meteor incoming, or try to block a bow proc rather than dodge and just have to eat it.

Happened to me 3 times within 3 hours in cyrodiil today (PC NA). I can confirm that two of them occurred mid-fight without having sheathed my weapons. Nearly impossible to tell exactly when during the fights it broke even with my input overlay enabled in the footage, but I can confirm that the bug 100% can occur without sheathing your weapons.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • iKillElves4Septims
    iKillElves4Septims
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

While we can confirm we have fixed the original issue with block, we identified the cause of this new blocking issue that went live with yesterday’s incremental patch. This issue most commonly occurs when attempting to swap weapons while weapons are being drawn or sheathed, preventing you from blocking again until zoning or relogging.

We are working on a fix now and want to take some time to thoroughly test over the next couple days to ensure things are stable; unfortunately, the fix for this issue does require another new client build and is not something we are able to hotfix. It will also be present after the console incremental patch on Wednesday.

We understand how frustrating this is for everyone, including us. We’ll let you know as soon as possible when to expect the fix but expect it to be on or around December 19.

Back in September there was an exploit where people could complete endeavors multiple times and I believe even duplicate items. It was patched within a day.

They can fix this faster, they just choose not to because they don't think it's an important enough bug to hotfix since it doesn't directly impact their revenue.

>inbe4 72 hour forum account suspension like the last guy commenting this.
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @iKillElves4Septims Maybe even perma banned for saying the truth!

It would be really funny, if it wouldnt be that sad...
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭

They can fix this faster, they just choose not to because they don't think it's an important enough bug to hotfix since it doesn't directly impact their revenue.

Speaking the truth and hope ZOS mods don't silence/edit you because uh... yeah...
    Edited by Zastrix on December 8, 2022 11:26AM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

While we can confirm we have fixed the original issue with block, we identified the cause of this new blocking issue that went live with yesterday’s incremental patch. This issue most commonly occurs when attempting to swap weapons while weapons are being drawn or sheathed, preventing you from blocking again until zoning or relogging.

We are working on a fix now and want to take some time to thoroughly test over the next couple days to ensure things are stable; unfortunately, the fix for this issue does require another new client build and is not something we are able to hotfix. It will also be present after the console incremental patch on Wednesday.

We understand how frustrating this is for everyone, including us. We’ll let you know as soon as possible when to expect the fix but expect it to be on or around December 19.

No they can't. It's something server side versus client side.

Look, I tank in group content. The block bug is really gamebreaking and my prog groups are on thin ice and have been for the past few months. I'm furious about this. ZOS needs to address this because they've already lost a large portion of the raiding community, and this is only making more people quit.

But please don't pretend that fixing the block bug and fixing the endeavor exploit are the same thing. Some things (like the DK Standard bug just after release) do not require another download, and those can be hotfixed by just bringing the servers down again. They've said multiple times that the block fixes are a client-side issue and do require a download, so that needs to go through a Google (and Microsoft/Sony) review process. Now that Stadia is dying, I'm sure Google's patch review team isn't interested in pushing any fixes, and there probably is no longer an "emergency patches!" pathway anymore since nobody new can even buy things on Stadia.

I wish they could have just pushed a PC patch anyway. Sure it would have made the two people who still play on Stadia be unable to connect because the Stadia version and the live version were different, but this would have at least helped the other X number of people on the live server. But I don't know if that's feasible, legally or technically.

Hopefully when Stadia dies they will be able to push patches (for PC at least) quicker. If we had been able to get the block bug patch when they first fixed it around November 11, instead of having to wait for two weeks (three because of the holiday). At least then we would have found the new block bug right after, and then that could have been fixed as soon as possible. Granted, we probably won't be getting weekly patches anymore, but gamebreaking bugs like this could then be addressed ASAP, and not left to linger for two weeks (or four or seven) while the game is hemorrhaging players.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Those types of issues aren't the same thing. So no they can't fix this faster.
  • NextTuesday
    NextTuesday
    ✭✭✭
    It would be really nice if we could get a couple of sentences worth of explanation about why it will take so long to patch, again, while we're getting moderated. Answer a couple of questions instead of letting people fester. People are tired of this gobsmackingly bad relationship.
  • amixiamb14_ESO
    “Those types of issues aren't the same thing. So no they can't fix this faster.”

Of course they aren’t the same issue, but that doesn’t mean they can’t fix it faster. They fixed DKs doing insane damage within a week. Blocking has been bugged going on almost 2 months. Subscribers pay money to ZOS for a game that has been out since 2014…the other poster is right, this block bug doesn’t affect low-mid level players, damage, or the crown store; thus, it’s on the back burner.

Edited by amixiamb14_ESO on December 8, 2022 4:53PM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    “Those types of issues aren't the same thing. So no they can't fix this faster.”

Of course they aren’t the same issue, but that doesn’t mean they can’t fix it faster. They fixed DKs doing insane damage within a week. Blocking has been bugged going on almost 2 months. Subscribers pay money to ZOS for a game that has been out since 2014…the other poster is right, this block bug doesn’t affect low-mid level players, damage, or the crown store; thus, it’s on the back burner.

Yes, they did fix the DK standard thing very quickly. Let's see why they could do that so fast. Emphasis mine.
    The hotfix post from Gina:
    Hi everyone,

We just completed a hotfix on the PC/Mac megaservers to fix an issue with the Dragonknight Standard ability where buffs applied by Standard of Might could be applied to the caster when the caster was outside of the Standard's range. We also fixed an additional issue where these buffs could persist even after the Standard disappeared, allowing for these buffs to stack infinitely.

Please note we are also planning to reset leaderboards in the coming days - more details on this to come once plans are solidified.

No download is required for this change to take effect. Thank you!

And Gina's latest quote about the block bug:
    Hi everyone,

Ah, so if something is server-side and doesn't require a download, it can be hotfixed. If it is client-side and does require a download, then we need to wait.

I'm assuming that Stadia's "patch review team" at this point is probably just one dude who's already been moved to another department, so it's obvious that they can't roll them out quickly. Frustrating, but understandable. Again, I really really wish that ZOS would just patch the PC servers anyway and leave the Stadia connections unable to connect until their patch rolls in - They already offered ESO to Stadia players to just move to PS permanently, and there's about a 0% chance that Stadia players are doing high-level raids where the block bug is a thing. Again though, I'll bet it's some legalese preventing them from doing so until Stadia officially dies on 18 January.

I understand the frustration - I'm frustrated too - but I'm not going to get mad at ZOS for the fact that Google is not letting them patch the game. That part of it is out of their hands. I'm going to be mad at Google for that one. Yes, I'll be mad that ZOS has introduced this bug and then introduced another by trying to fix it, but the cadence of patches is, at least until the 18th, out of their hands.
  • Wild_child434
    Wild_child434
    ✭✭
    1 month of block being bugged, this is absolutely unacceptable. Given that I only raid and primarily do progs i've been SOL and progs on hold sitting over here wasting my ESO plus. IM done with it, canceling plus.
    We get a glimmer of home on console that our block was gonna be fixed yesterday only to have a new block bug come the same day, HOW WAS THIS NOT FOUND IN TESTING!?!?!?!?!??????
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can you guys even interrupt/bind break free to it's own button on console?
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on December 8, 2022 9:40PM
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    1 month of block being bugged, this is absolutely unacceptable. Given that I only raid and primarily do progs i've been SOL and progs on hold sitting over here wasting my ESO plus. IM done with it, canceling plus.
    We get a glimmer of home on console that our block was gonna be fixed yesterday only to have a new block bug come the same day, HOW WAS THIS NOT FOUND IN TESTING!?!?!?!?!??????

It was already reported on consoles since u36, they just chose to ignore it until it hit PC. And as for how it was not found in testing, well the same reason why there's this whole mess even started...
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bug has broken PVE and PVP and it isn't getting fixed for 2 weeks??? Especially when this bug was reported on Console...

Why isn't anything tested anymore? Do they need more testers, longer PTS cycles?
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This bug has broken PVE and PVP and it isn't getting fixed for 2 weeks??? Especially when this bug was reported on Console...

Why isn't anything tested anymore? Do they need more testers, longer PTS cycles?

The players are the testers, and sadly, we're paying them money to test their own game for them. It's win/win for them.
  • SaintJohnHM
    SaintJohnHM
    ✭✭✭✭
    How many more in-game friends are we going to lose this weekend because they're frustrated with ZOS's inability and lack of impetus to fix a core ability in the game?

Maybe we can form trial teams with all our free guars?
    • Casual PVE player PC/NA
    • Tank CP2400 'Sugar-Flame'
    • I've completed all the dungeon trifectas. Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, and looking for nice folks to complete more trial achieves with.
    • I make music: http://www.moonghostband.com.