The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

And another block bug...

• virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Our DB team has been having this problem since the patch hit console. It's mostly been our main tank who gets it, but we could barely go a run without him getting it. It got so bad that he canceled trials for all 3 teams in our guild until the patch tomorrow night. By the sounds of this thread, it's unlikely to be fixed then. The roll dodge/bash bug is manageable enough, just a minor annoyance, really. This "new" block bag makes running trifectas virtually futile, and all 3 of our raid groups are now in different trifecta progs. The other team I'm on is in a TTT prog, and it keeps happening during the triplets fight in Halls.

Based on what I've seen elsewhere, it looks like console has had this bug for a while.

Why did it not get more attention?

Possibly the same reason they've never addressed other inequities with console/gamepad mode. I've been reporting quite a few to no avail.

-not being able to see in guild banks without having withdrawal permissions
    -not being able to take treasure maps you don't have on you (if you have them in your bank but not your inventory)
    -not being able to use consumables from inventory in combat
    -the recurring roster-jumping bug that made guild management virtually impossible on console/in gamepad mode for 6+ months at a time

They also still haven't fixed combat-breaking issues with switching between keyboard and gamepad modes with the "automatic" setting:

-being in gamepad mode but pressing a key automatically switches to keyboard mode but reproducibly causes a health bug in trials, meaning you can't accurately keep track of your own health in portals or other critical mechanics
    -being in keyboard mode but hitting the gamepad's right trigger causes a permanent heavy attack that used to be fixed by bashing. Now that bashing doesn't reset the heavy attack input with today's patch, I have no idea how to fix that issue going forward.

These have all been ongoing for years.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Confirmed that even I can reproduce it. Sheathe weapon then light attack and bar swap immediately. Visiting outlaws fixed it.
    I use mouse & keyboard so it's likely not gamepad mode issue.
    Edited by rpa on December 5, 2022 6:14PM
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    My expectations were low, and when I read about 2 weeks back, about that the block bug is already fixed in the development version but just cant be released sooner, I wasnt really convinced, but this... 🤣 I really didnt expect that it gets that much worse...
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also managed to reproduced it in a dual - sheathe dual wield weapons, light attack, swap and can't block. Changing zones did not fix it immediately but going to a house did.
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • MovieGuru83
    MovieGuru83
    ✭✭
    Our DB team has been having this problem since the patch hit console. It's mostly been our main tank who gets it, but we could barely go a run without him getting it. It got so bad that he canceled trials for all 3 teams in our guild until the patch tomorrow night. By the sounds of this thread, it's unlikely to be fixed then. The roll dodge/bash bug is manageable enough, just a minor annoyance, really. This "new" block bag makes running trifectas virtually futile, and all 3 of our raid groups are now in different trifecta progs. The other team I'm on is in a TTT prog, and it keeps happening during the triplets fight in Halls.

Based on what I've seen elsewhere, it looks like console has had this bug for a while.

I think we assumed that since this came with the other block bug that it was part of that one and just as ubiquitous and well known. We were pretty surprised in our guild discord to find out that this is just being discovered today.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    Confirmed that even I can reproduce it. Sheathe weapon then light attack and bar swap immediately. Visiting outlaws fixed it.
    I use mouse & keyboard so it's likely not gamepad mode issue.
    You don't need to light attack. That's just adding an extra and unnecessary step. Simply sheathing and bar swapping is enough. Sometimes once. Sometimes you need to bar swap twice, once to the other bar and then again to get back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdo5ScWSRig

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zastrix wrote: »
    Mujuro wrote: »
    f5foj9w4zqtf.png

Update: edited for bashing

How can you bash if you can't block ;-)
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can bind a button directly for bashing. This way it might work without blocking.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can bind a button directly for bashing. This way it might work without blocking.

Just tried it. Interrupt/bash when bound to another key does not trigger block at all and appears not affected by bugged block state. (But I did not check if it functions correctly in actual combat in bugged state.)
    Edited by rpa on December 5, 2022 7:11PM
  • Ysarden-1
    Ysarden-1
    with the bug active you can hold the right mousebutton and left click for bash, but you are not effectively blocking
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They probably weren't able to distinguish the difference between this block bug and the other block bug that just got fixed. I feel bad for our poor console step-siblings. As bad as things are for us, they have it way worse generally.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amSqG6Y3dXg
    (blocking text made possible by the "Am I Blocking" add-on)

this one's been present for a while but unaddressed.
    Edited by Dr_Con on December 5, 2022 8:01PM
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PCNA here. When it happened to me, I just assumed it was part of the U36 block bug. I reported it.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wolfkeks wrote: »
    Also managed to reproduced it in a dual - sheathe dual wield weapons, light attack, swap and can't block. Changing zones did not fix it immediately but going to a house did.

I can reproduce this. Sheathe DW weapons. Light attack. Bar swap. Block no longer works.

On a brighter note, spamming bash no longer breaks block. To the enjoyment of bash players and the dismay of everyone else, bash builds are now able to block again :smile: (bash bound separately from block)

Edited by SkaraMinoc on December 5, 2022 7:31PM
    PC NA
  • Malmer
    Malmer
    ✭✭✭
    can i assume than this bug what console have since firesong not get fixed?
  • beer781993
    beer781993
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malmer wrote: »
    can i assume than this bug what console have since firesong not get fixed?

I bet we get additional block breaking features.

But once a promising man said "We will do better".
    But he never said when, so at least he wasn't lying. 😢
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CrashTest wrote: »

PCNA here. When it happened to me, I just assumed it was part of the U36 block bug. I reported it.

Due to them not updating PTS I can declare that this statement has nothing to do with the block bug in this topic, it may be due to some other reason (like the one you need to roll dodge out of to fix). The weapon swap/LA block bug is completely new with this patch. If you don't believe me, log on PTS where the bash block bug is still active and this new one isn't (yours is similar in priority to the one i'm reporting, but i give instructions on how to replicate while yours is more of a phenomena of unknown etiology).

The topic you linked is pretty vague as to the cause of the bug. The OP also talks about being thrown across the room- what? We've all seen similar bugs where our characters can't do anything (usually after rezzes/wipes on certain bosses with insta-wipe mechs) but we've been able to give people advice to fix it and it doesn't persist, it's some rare occurrence.

They should be pushing updates to PTS so things get found out sooner tbh.
    Edited by Dr_Con on December 5, 2022 8:15PM
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    5 weeks to revert a code change. Not fix a bug, but to revert a code change.
    Then in less than 24 hours of it being deployed to production users find another bug in the same area.

Guys. Seriously. What are you doing?
  • SaintJohnHM
    SaintJohnHM
    ✭✭✭✭
    We waited a month for a fix and they made it worse. They said "trust us" and "we'll do better" and gave us a worthless quar, we waited, and they made it worse again.

When will this process get better? How will this process get better?

We just want to be able to reliably use the product we're paying for, something needs to change.
    • Casual PVE player PC/NA
    • Tank CP2400 'Sugar-Flame'
    • I've completed all the dungeon trifectas. Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, and looking for nice folks to complete more trial achieves with.
    • I make music: http://www.moonghostband.com.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just dismounted with a light attack into barswap and got block bugged.
    Edited by CrashTest on December 5, 2022 8:32PM
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    5 weeks to revert a code change. Not fix a bug, but to revert a code change.
    Then in less than 24 hours of it being deployed to production users find another bug in the same area.

Guys. Seriously. What are you doing?

This.

It took a month to simply undo a BUGFIX for another bug in order to fix this one. So the old bug of bash cancelling heavy inputs is now back in the game, but they've also introduced this new bug where block breaks completely to PC.

They do not seem to care AT ALL about the combat aspect of ESO anymore.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Genfe
    Genfe
    ✭✭✭
    Can’t be a block bug if you can’t block
  • Sir_Gentleman777
    Sir_Gentleman777
    ✭✭✭
    Hey New Life Festival is starting soon. Do we get double XP and also double the block bug then? Just asking for a friend you know....

• boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing as how I'm not a pro designer I only have a vague Idea of how this all fits together... But man... The spaghetti code for this game is wild. Seems like it's impossible to fix one thing without breaking something elses.. yikes o_0
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the most addicted tanks put up with this failure of a patch.
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • hisoka
    hisoka
    Thanks for sending this over! Could you try enabling the in-game Scrolling Combat Text to confirm if you are seeing any blocked damage or not? Just trying to eliminate the possibility of this being an animation issue.

its not visual it just doesn't block at all
  • MochaForumFiend
    I can confirm this happens in overland as well. Presently in Western Skyrim, unable to block.

I'm not sure if @ZOS_GinaBruno is looking for additional input but I'd like to be able to help if possible.
  • MachineGod
    MachineGod
    ✭✭✭
    Can confirm this affects cyrodiil too. Eventually you will no longer be able to block after certain circumstances weather it be porting or respawning from death.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can't wait for the entire game to be recoded. The track record is at an all time high
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most frustrating thing is that this is not some random niche bug, it's a core combat element that we had to wait for weeks to be fixed, only to have it broken in a different way. That's a new low for ZOS.