The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

And another block bug...

• Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    can you go live with this fix on PTS? what contractual obligation is preventing you from updating your own test server at your leisure?
    Edited by Dr_Con on December 6, 2022 8:50PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marto wrote: »
    expect it to be on or around December 19.

Dear Gina and ZOS
    do you understand what you are doing? It cant be that gamebreaking bugs dont get fixed ASAP! raidgroups dissolve and players who came back leave immediately after a few raids. If your intention is to kill ESO, you are on the right path.

December 19 is the definition of "ASAP" As long as Stadia is supported, patches cannot possibly come faster than that.

It took the QA team and dev team at ZOS less than 24h to notice a bug, identify what causes it, and fix it. That's pretty fast and efficient. They did a good job!

Now imagine how frustrating it feels to be called lazy or incompetent despite doing your job perfectly, and on record time, just because third-party bureaucracy mandates your fixes be delayed for 2 weeks.

I know it's frustrating. I hate it too. It's a restriction that only exists to protect Google's bottom line, so they're not held liable for any patches that may cause instability on their hardware. I can't wait for Stadia to go away, so we no longer have to deal with these waiting times.

The bug existing is 100% ZOS fault. But the bug being unfixed for 2 weeks has little to nothing to do with how competent ZOS is.

They said they have the option to waive the Stadia certification process and hotfix serious issues.

ZOS has chosen to not hotfix this issue.

Make your own deductions.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Dear Gina and ZOS
    do you understand what you are doing? It cant be that gamebreaking bugs dont get fixed ASAP! raidgroups dissolve and players who came back leave immediately after a few raids. If your intention is to kill ESO, you are on the right path.

December 19 is the definition of "ASAP" As long as Stadia is supported, patches cannot possibly come faster than that.

It took the QA team and dev team at ZOS less than 24h to notice a bug, identify what causes it, and fix it. That's pretty fast and efficient. They did a good job!

Now imagine how frustrating it feels to be called lazy or incompetent despite doing your job perfectly, and on record time, just because third-party bureaucracy mandates your fixes be delayed for 2 weeks.

I know it's frustrating. I hate it too. It's a restriction that only exists to protect Google's bottom line, so they're not held liable for any patches that may cause instability on their hardware. I can't wait for Stadia to go away, so we no longer have to deal with these waiting times.

The bug existing is 100% ZOS fault. But the bug being unfixed for 2 weeks has little to nothing to do with how competent ZOS is.

They said they have the option to waive the Stadia certification process and hotfix serious issues.

That depends on a lot of factors. The nature of the issue, the changes done by the patch, scheduling, fees, economic impact, brand impact, stability, etc.

ZOS may request to waive the Stadia certification process, but it doesn't mean it will get granted.
    Edited by Marto on December 6, 2022 9:25PM
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • smackinhippies
    smackinhippies
    ✭✭✭
    I canceled my subscription with the U35 release; nothing with U36 and now this has given me any incentive to renew my subscription. At this point it's a free to play game for me so I guess I've lowered my expectations.
  • Razorruk
    Razorruk
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Volpe wrote: »
    Greetings all,

After review, we have removed and edited a handful of posts. While we understand that players and members can be upset about the currently known issues that are being investigated and fixed (the information on that can be found here), we do ask that all posts be kept civil, constructive, and within the guidelines of the rules that we have in place. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding.

Nah mate, nope. Fix your game.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They finally found a way to kill off the remaining endgame players.
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very glad that I resisted temptation to buy High Isle at a discount price. I think I'd have buyer's remorse even if it were offered for a penny.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit had a thought. Perhaps Combat team can justify existence by making sure that fundamental combat "Just Works" all the time, instead, of, you know, reinventing how combat works from the ground up every 6 months.

Just a thought.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I understand devs would love to get this fixed ASAP, but Stadia's bureaucracy stands in the way. However, it's pretty serious that this bug already existed on consoles and was allowed to "infect" PC as well, not to mention it apparently only got attention after affecting the latter.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, could you please clarify why the certification process can't be bypassed as a result of this bug's urgency? Furthermore, could you please consider my earlier suggestion that the devs be open with the players regarding the problems behind such a turbulent year? I understand players' anger can be intimidating, but it'd go a long way to patch things up if we knew the devs' side of the story.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS may request to waive the Stadia certification process, but it doesn't mean it will get granted.

Stadia is literally offline forever in 6 weeks. I find it difficult to believe that anyone there wouldn't just be rubber-stamping requests at this point.
  • d.schaerb16_ESO2
    d.schaerb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭

I know, they say this is ASAP for them. But really ASAP is: drop the coffin where stadia is waiting for death. Fixed. no reason to carry a corpse where the flesh is rotting already.
    Edited by d.schaerb16_ESO2 on December 7, 2022 7:34AM
  • NextTuesday
    NextTuesday
    ✭✭✭
    These game breaking bugs, the overall lack of communication with the player base, and the total lack of consideration for the effort the community puts into the game and the players have become ridiculous. The community undertakes a huge volume of unpaid labour to create and maintain interest in and commitment to playing group content. ZOS puts nothing into teaching people how to do trials or dungeons, or any of that. It's the community's work.

After Updates 35 and 36, and now this botched clean up effort, it's getting harder and harder to see any point to putting in the effort when the game is virtually unplayable. It's almost impossible to fill a trial roster in any format. The massive influx of new players has made pugging a nightmare. Well-established guilds are closing their doors. The trade economy is volatile with high tier gear and materials being in less and less demand as endgame players quit in droves. Raid leads are now having to train new players if they want to fill a roster. The game is an absolute shemozzle because ZOS won't invest adequate resources to maintaining it despite the frankly embarrassing amount of cash players spend in the crown store and on subscriptions.

The best we get from ZOS are vague non-apologies, useless and unappealing cosmetics, and more empty promises to do better from the same people who gave us "wah wah". Maybe the new players will make something of this game and figure out that the crown store is a cash cow with little real benefit (the black Friday bundle was bare-faced predation), but the long time players are tired of what has become a hostile relationship. There is no incentive for us to stick around and clean up ZOS' messes, let alone pay a subscription to do so.

People are going to justifiably start demanding refunds on things and the smartest choice ZOS can make is to grant them. I'd rather the game not die because I loved it at one point, but my guild pals and I are jumping ship because no game is worth this much frustration and literal wasted money.
  • manaholik
    manaholik
    Soul Shriven
    i'm at a loss for words but full of emotions, mostly sadness and hopelessness. so im going to rant a little
    before i continue i need to state that i'm not trying to bash anyone with blame and i mean no offense but i just cannot believe the things that im seeing nowadays it just all seems unreal.

i am in 5 different social/raiding guilds with an around of 300-400 people each, now at peak play times there were only 10-15 people....(which are now only mainly doing their daily dungeons and writs and logging off within 30-60 minutes)
    before these dark times there were at least thrice as many people on average, not on peak times, not events.

for the past week we were planning on doing vCR, cleared up our work and college/school schedules but had to cancel unexpectedly...
    with the previous block bug, we somehow managed to do vDSR and vHoF, we can tough it up and endure almost anything, usually, but this just seems too much.

literally a day before this bug i farmed tons of transmutes, got my support skill line level to level 6 so i could use barrier, to make and use secondary healer sets and builds, just so i could be my best self. i was just so hyped up to do my last veteran trial i have yet to complete with my close friends (that still play).
    aaaaaand.... that hope is gone for at least two weeks, if it ever comes back.

allegedly, i am not a conspiracy theorist but, personally, these continuous mistakes "happy little accidents" are starting to look like some kind of convoluted plan to drive away us, veteran players, who loved this game for years and still want to keep on loving it, introduce more new people to it, teach them and take care of the community but it is getting really really hard and keeps on getting harder.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dear Gina and ZOS

If an emergency arises, we’ll of course work with Stadia to get a patch published ASAP. So in general, PC incrementals will now occur bi-weekly, but if needed, we can update quickly.

Note this will not affect our ability to perform hotfixes, or affect any PTS patches or updates.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/530103/changes-to-pc-incremental-patch-cadence

Edited by Jaraal on December 7, 2022 9:47AM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭

Dear Gina and ZOS

If an emergency arises, we’ll of course work with Stadia to get a patch published ASAP. So in general, PC incrementals will now occur bi-weekly, but if needed, we can update quickly.

Note this will not affect our ability to perform hotfixes, or affect any PTS patches or updates.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/530103/changes-to-pc-incremental-patch-cadence

Oh don't worry, that's only for crown store. If it's anything which vet players enjoy they're not going to do it that fast.
    110-114k Stage 4 Vamprie Magblade u39
    Aldmeri Dominion did nothing wrong in Shadowfen.
  • H3rBie
    H3rBie
    ✭✭✭
    It will also be present after the console incremental patch on Wednesday.

it is present since last patch, so nothing changes....

• UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I finally unsubscribed for the first time in like 5 years. I held out hope for too long. Time after time, chance after chance. I just... don't care anymore. Don't be sorry. Be better.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    H3rBie wrote: »
    It will also be present after the console incremental patch on Wednesday.

it is present since last patch, so nothing changes....

What kills me is a) that not being realized and b) even if that wasn't the case, they are flat-out saying once again "sorry, even though we know this patch won't fix anything and will actually make your experience even worse, we're not gonna call Sony and Microsoft and say 'don't push this broken patch', we're just gonna force it on you anyway with no fix for at least 2 weeks".

Like, literally forcing additional breaks on console (if it hadn't already been broken) knowingly at this point. Know-ing-ly doing so.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • phlupp89
    phlupp89
    ✭✭
    Haven't read through the entire thread here, too tired.
    Just wanted to reply to Gina's original message. I am so thankful for it. Truly.

A game breaking bug not being fixed for weeks (or is it months) is undoubtedly the confirmation that this game and its maintenance is in no way a priority for anyone working at it any longer.

It is the message I have both been waiting for and dreading for so long.

I don't want to believe any of this is happening. Just like I didn't want to believe all the doom sayers that proclaimed this game dead.

But at least now we know. Intentionally or not Gina's message confirms the end. It has set us free. I have no doubt my post here will be deleted quickly but I don't care. I just want to say thank you for putting an end to a game that I was quite obviously emotionally invested in way too much. A game that - even at its worst - has made my days better on a regular basis.

This is not me quitting. This is me saying I no longer care. Maybe it's the best I could hope for. All the best to all the other heartbroken ESO lovers out there.
  • SCP343
    SCP343
    ✭✭✭
    They bring weapon styles to crown stores of dlc dungeons but block is bugged so people cant farm their monster helmet motif some give up or dont even try it...
    Tank randomly dies in trials to light attacks of bosses because their character looks like blocking but actually it doesnt
    In pvp if you miss your block and stunned by unexpected attack you %75 of the time end up geting bursted anyways
    Me and sure a lot of people dont want to do questing or other contents that game offers to players and without pve and pvp tbh i dont see any point of playing this game :)
  • SaintJohnHM
    SaintJohnHM
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another day without a fix, and another player on my raiding team left the game because of this bug and ZOS's response.

It seems unreal to me they would be willing to throw away so many players who have invested so much time and money and love into this game and community.
    • Casual PVE player PC/NA
    • Tank CP2400 'Sugar-Flame'
    • I've completed all the dungeon trifectas. Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, and looking for nice folks to complete more trial achieves with.
    • I make music: http://www.moonghostband.com.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean.... when the patch notes themselves read the fact they had to re-instate the heavy attack bug to fix the block bug - you know that there's something gone very very VERY wrong at ZOS.... when they are trading bugs for bugs openly and knowingly then it becomes almost laughable. I'm wondering if this is a sitcom version of the Truman Show we're living in? lol.

• FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »
    I mean.... when the patch notes themselves read the fact they had to re-instate the heavy attack bug to fix the block bug - you know that there's something gone very very VERY wrong at ZOS.... when they are trading bugs for bugs openly and knowingly then it becomes almost laughable. I'm wondering if this is a sitcom version of the Truman Show we're living in? lol.

I work at QA (not ZOS QA, thankfully) and I think that a rollback itself is a valid way to get rid of a bug. And flops do happen, that's natural.
    Problem with ZOS is how regular and abundant they are and how freely bugs make their way to live servers, often despite being pointed out during PTS.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well they don't miss their launch dates. If you are going to just launch at a set time, no matter what; then it doesn't really matter what your quality people nor players report. At most, they strip a part out, but clearly their threshold for what's passable is pretty far
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FluffyBird wrote: »

I work at QA (not ZOS QA, thankfully) and I think that a rollback itself is a valid way to get rid of a bug. And flops do happen, that's natural.
    Problem with ZOS is how regular and abundant they are and how freely bugs make their way to live servers, often despite being pointed out during PTS.

I've said before that I think the PTS server really is more of a "Promo" server for streamers to showcase new content. And confirmed when, like you say, bugs just get ignored and rolled out to live server regardless of severity or reporting. It kind of makes the entire PTS worthless in my opinion...

I don't know how many times people are going to have to comment about less assets being pushed towards cosmetic departments and more towards the health of the game itself. I know Rich said that artists and designers don't code the mechanics, but then hire less artists and designers and spend those assets on coders. It's really simple stuff. No good have an elephant mount if no-one is around to ride it.
  • dkblight
    dkblight
    ✭✭
    I can honestly say my Oakensoul shield tank can do any normal dungeon with no block issues, will be running vet direfrost tonight (9pm-1am CST PC/NA) as a tank, hopefully some good healers will be running pugs.

Temporary build till I can safely block again
    inner rage/Draw Essence/razor caltrops/Introspection (shield/resources)/unrelenting grip/barrier (shield)/Ice staff (shield)
    Gear, 5pc brands of imperium (shield)/monster set Mother Ciannait (shield)/4 piece of adept rider as it's armor, armor, and health
    With oakensoul I get both resolves and aegis, with the armor I get 32k resistance for when I can block.

Could replace Barrier with magma shell, but I want an ult that helps my team who can't block.

Could also try this as well, if you wanna keep 2 bars knowing block is iffy
    46x546w7cr7a.png

I guess I'm a fool sticking to a game that the developers have given up on as it's not something new.

I played Archeage for about 5 server merges, before I said no more as I couldn't keep up with the P2W gear scores and constant PVP. Oh and APEX was a ridiculous price.

Will see about adapting a healer for either single bar or to have shields as well
    Edited by dkblight on December 7, 2022 5:09PM
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Dear Gina and ZOS

This isn't how software development works.
    Firstly there's nothing to say that the issue has actually be fixed yet, only that the projected patch date is 19th. It could be hard to resolve and take time.
    Secondly fixing an issue is different to fixed and tested. QA can test a fix once the dev's hand over individually however there is generally still a large amount of system testing involved in producing a patch. I assume there is at the least some sort of smoke/sanity test as well as some acceptance criteria for going ahead with a patch release (for example someone can perform basic game functions successfully and core / risky areas are working as expected). In addition to this as this issue has regressed twice already I imagine they will wish to do more in depth testing so that ZOS doesn't suffer further brand reputation damage if yet another issue in the same area was found.

On top of this there is a certificate process not just for Stadia (which is kind of irrelevant now) but mainly for Xbox and PS.
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on December 7, 2022 5:00PM
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

While we can confirm we have fixed the original issue with block, we identified the cause of this new blocking issue that went live with yesterday’s incremental patch. This issue most commonly occurs when attempting to swap weapons while weapons are being drawn or sheathed, preventing you from blocking again until zoning or relogging.

We are working on a fix now and want to take some time to thoroughly test over the next couple days to ensure things are stable; unfortunately, the fix for this issue does require another new client build and is not something we are able to hotfix. It will also be present after the console incremental patch on Wednesday.

We understand how frustrating this is for everyone, including us. We’ll let you know as soon as possible when to expect the fix but expect it to be on or around December 19.

What on earth?!

HOW can anyone justify letting this be broken for another 2 weeks? Does anyone, literally ANYONE that works for the company understand how absolutely frustrating this is to play with?

In your basic trials, it's just a frustrating time sink. In pvp, or anything upper level, it's killing people and also their motivation to play!

What is wrong with this company? Make an exception and push a fix through, you know, like you said you would back when you originally brought stadia on board.

You don't understand how software development works. They literally have legal contracts with Sony, Microsoft, and Google that they can't just push out updates without those companies approval. So blame them not ZoS. Now I'm sure it will get a little better/faster once Stadia is shutdown as I that was the major bottleneck but Sony and Microsoft could still block updates if it could cause issues on their consoles. This affects PCs then as well.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So no dungeons, trials, or PVP for at least another 2 weeks. :(
  • alsonotan0rc
    alsonotan0rc
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this coming. Hope for an actual fix next year, folks, and hope there are still some people interested in raiding by that point.

I would very much like an explanation of what's taking so long to fix and why there was a change to block in the first place. It would make it feel less like we're being led around by the nose until we get bored and spend crowns.