The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.4 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

PTS Update 33 - Feedback Thread for Account Wide Achievements

• tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    Well, the final patch notes are up and no news about decoupling NPCs and quests from achievements. I'm going to role play on PTS and record it, maybe even stream it just so ZOS and everyone will see how ridiculous the game world will be for alts, then when PTS closes, I'm done. Unless they have fixes in the pipeline, my eight years with this game ends this update.
    Sigh. I guess it's time to start on another addon to track world bosses, delves, and dolmens. Maybe dungeon bosses too, while I'm at it. It'll probably mean resetting all progress back to zero, but I'd rather have that happen than have them all at 100%.

Ooh, I'm very excited to have that.

Wish it didn't have to come to this, but that would be a really nice addon to have.
    Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each patch I think "They can't be letting something this broken go to live".... and they keep letting it go with almost no changes.

It's unfathomable to me. [snip]

[edited for bashing]

Edited by ZOS_Exile on March 1, 2022 1:49PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,405 achievement points
    Options
  • Zorrin
    Zorrin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Agree with your sentiments. However, once the character data is deleted, it won't ever be coming back.

The loss of character data is depressing as well, but the world reacting to alts completely incorrectly is where I draw a hard line.
    Options
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol. 79 pages of - Guys, it really doesn't matter. They're going to do what they planned to do whether it's well thought out or not.

They're scrambling for space.

Anyone notice 1 less of each campaign during Mayhem?

Folks, we're giving up character progression for card game space and a couple dungeons. That's that.
    Options
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zorrin wrote: »

Agree with your sentiments. However, once the character data is deleted, it won't ever be coming back.

The loss of character data is depressing as well, but the world reacting to alts completely incorrectly is where I draw a hard line.
    Don’t forget that there are quest stages still being tracked per character that could be used to fix most of those NPC dialog consequences. There are only a couple, like adoring admirer, that have no quests.
    Options
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I finally finished scrubbing my account yesterday. All non character bound stuff was deconned or sold or consolidated into the bank. All of my characters, save my first, have been stripped of everything other than a few character bound level up rewards they still have. And then I uninstalled.

It felt sad to say goodbye but seeing the patch notes today with no further fixes aside from Undaunted rep (nothing about Markarth epilogue, nothing about Melina, nothing about Antiquity leveling, nothing about map/zone guide completion…) just reiterated how little they care. They won’t even confirm if the above are bugs or not, much less actually fix them.

I’m just done.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
    Options
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, the final patch notes are up and no news about decoupling NPCs and quests from achievements. I'm going to role play on PTS and record it, maybe even stream it just so ZOS and everyone will see how ridiculous the game world will be for alts, then when PTS closes, I'm done. Unless they have fixes in the pipeline, my eight years with this game ends this update.
    Sigh. I guess it's time to start on another addon to track world bosses, delves, and dolmens. Maybe dungeon bosses too, while I'm at it. It'll probably mean resetting all progress back to zero, but I'd rather have that happen than have them all at 100%.

That's very nice of you, but console players will still have to deal with the aftermath of this update. And it's pretty sad when one individual tries to clean up the fallout of a major corporation's decision.

Kudos to you.

Yeah, sorry I can't help console at all. No promises on when it will be done, either. I've never done anything with zone guide or map pins before. Perhaps I can to hook into the API for achievement tracking and try and trick it into thinking those achievements are character-specific, and then track the data on the client side. Then, the game itself should do the zone guide and map pins work for me.
    Options
  • Oliviander
    Oliviander
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaDaaa
    And this years Darwin Award goes .. to ...

ZOS

clap clap clap

It has been great 8 Years
    Farewell :'(
    Options
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulkunne wrote: »
    The gaming company could partner with a cloud storage provider that you would not have direct access to. Your sub fee would cover both costs.

- When playing the game it can quickly pull your profile from the cloud and then update while playing or when you log off
    - Vendor manages your data storage at a reasonable fee, game dev manages the game with no additional fees

Problem solved. I would think this solution would have been considered especially now that ZOS is with MS. And that's my greatest concern in all this as far as why can they not work together to solve problems like this.

Because, I believe (and I admit it just guesswork on my part), MS doesn't want to use datastorage that they could rent for good money on a game they just purchased. Unless the gamers will pay at least the same amount for said data storage, it would be a net loss for them. And I am not sure that ZOS would want to increase the costs for the game in that way - it would probably kill the FTP-element, as laying the cost entirely on the Plus-ers would be devastating (though, again, I might be wrong here, since I am not sure how much MS wants to rent out there data space for).

MS bought ZOS in order to make profits, not to improve the games with their own tech. Like any company their duty is to make profit to the shareholders, and anything else would make them liable for misconduct. For a pure gaming company investments in an MMO could generate more profit, but for a parent company it would probably be seen as far too risky.

But again, this is what I believe is happening from my rather meager experience from businesses. I just don't think that MS wants to rain resources over ZOS or ESO, they want to make a profit from what already is there.

You could be right, but I disagree. I think the new card game is going to add a slew of achievements, and they're stripping our characters to give us this card game no one wants. It's pretty clear from the High Isle announcement feedback what the community thinks of the card game, and now this just makes the card game even more hated.

Well, one doesn't exclude the other. But I think ZOS would be putting itself up for a serious burn of they claimed to remove CwA because of performance, just to then add a dump of new achievements. Then again, who know... :/

When I first heard of the card game I rolled my eyes, but thought that perhaps people had wished for mini-games like in the Witcher game(s) (only played the first one so far), or in KOTOR. But when I heard that it would be a source for more than just gold, but leads and whatnot, I got my spider senses tingling. I wouldn't be surprised (as I think I have written earlier already) if "special super cards" started getting sold in the crown store, or in crown boxes, risking to take the game a step closer to "pay-to-win". I may just be paranoid though.
    Options
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

My intention is to park all my characters, except for the one that will be playing High Isle this June. After High Isle, reassess the state of the game, which I do not expect to improve with age. There are a few combat, performance, and achievement bugs they will have to address before I commit to long term play here.

Sadly, they have not answered my Q&A followup question about whether I have a time limit for migrating achievements from character to account (ie logging into each character). No answer, so powering down again. Until next week... Beeeeoooop.

I cancelled my subscription last week and haven't bought the new chapter yet. I had a tiny, microscopic bit of hope left that the devs would fix at least some of the issues with quests. Had they done so, I'd re-subscribe and buy the chapter.

As it stands, the price being asked for the chapter is too high for something that cannot be replayed properly, so, if I'm still playing by the time it goes on sale, I'll buy then.
    Arunei wrote: »
    Stumo1970 wrote: »
    remosito wrote: »
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    As far as I know, no one ever wanted or asked for account wide achievements.

The requests I knew about were account wide use of titles.

I could be way off, though.

you are way off!

Got asked very regularly ever since I started playing....

For some that are looking at achievements as "theirs", having achievements not being account wide is a detriment to playing on alts as it's "wasted" time to get achievements done. You can have 18 chars with 900k each laundered and still not get black market mogul even though you as a player essentially did the achieve 16 times over...

Wasted? ... you realise people have a different way of playing than you right?
    They were saying that there are people who felt their time was wasted playing on different alts and getting work towards achieves on them instead of playing on their main and getting them, and over the years that exact argument has been made over and over. They weren't saying that's how everyone feels, since this thread has made it clear different people enjoy the game in different ways. They were clarifying that it has been asked for for quite some time and listing one of the main reasons given for people wanting AwA.
    joerginger wrote: »
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    As far as I know, no one ever wanted or asked for account wide achievements.

The requests I knew about were account wide use of titles.

I could be way off, though.

I was not the only one who asked for account wide achievements every now and then. And I have only been here for a bit more than three years, so I have no idea how often this had come up before.

I never cared much about titles and definitely couldn't care less if they are account wide or not.

Good for you. But not for the rest of us.

This is what irks me with many of these threads, when some just care about what THEY want. I personally don't much care about Deathmatch in Battlegrounds, and would rather only play the other varieties. That doesn't mean I wouldn't defend DMs, because I know that many others do enjoy them.

This is especially true when there are other options than one of two extremes. We could have it both ways. And that is what the absolute majority is asking for in this thred (as I have seen at least). I don't mind if there are account wide achievements, it is not something I cared about or asked for, but I know that others have done so. It is the implementation that ZOS has gone for that I, and many others, are against.
    Uh...I don't think that person was saying what you think they were to warrant that reaction. They never said "this is how I play and I don't care about how anyone else does", they were just saying they personally have asked for AwA in the past but they didn't care if Titles specifically were part of that or not. Nothing indicated they only care about what they wanted, the person they were replying to had said they don't think AwA was requested very much and that they thought it was mostly account-wide Titles people were asking for. The person you quoted was simply telling them that's not the case for them.

People should slow down posting and re-read what they're replying to, because a lot of people are understandably upset, but they're misreading posts and assuming people are fighting against them when they really aren't.

Thank you. You said it better than I could.
    Options
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Don’t forget that there are quest stages still being tracked per character that could be used to fix most of those NPC dialog consequences. There are only a couple, like adoring admirer, that have no quests.

But we've heard no word if NPC dialogue will be fixed to track from quests, or if they intend to keep the world incoherent for our alts because their vision for the game is that alts are simply a different face of our main, which is ridiculous because why spend money on writers and voice actors at this point if we can't enjoy all content fresh on an alt. Besides RP or immersion being ruined, there is no point to even play any part of the game more than once now. Even if you don't care about RP or immersion, you aren't even getting your money's worth if content is designed to only be fresh and new once and then all alts are either locked out of content, no matter how small, and are treated as saviors even if they never completed content. This game lost value on those points alone and is not worth paying for anymore.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
    Options
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But we've heard no word if NPC dialogue will be fixed to track from quests, or if they intend to keep the world incoherent for our alts because their vision for the game is that alts are simply a different face of our main, which is ridiculous because why spend money on writers and voice actors at this point if we can't enjoy all content fresh on an alt. Besides RP or immersion being ruined, there is no point to even play any part of the game more than once now. Even if you don't care about RP or immersion, you aren't even getting your money's worth if content is designed to only be fresh and new once and then all alts are either locked out of content, no matter how small, and are treated as saviors even if they never completed content. This game lost value on those points alone and is not worth paying for anymore.

That's the thing about doing content a second time though, it's not fresh anymore and it won't ever be again, there's also an argument to be said on how many times people replay content like quests and for those who do how many actually listen to the story a second time. I agree on RP and immersion being broken and diminished but in terms of replaying content it's just as freash as content you've already done in the past is, you might not get a small ding congratulating you on finishing it but that's it.

Saying that you shouldn't have voice actors anymore is almost like saying you should have sound in a movie theater just because you can't goin there again without paying. The voice acted quests are something I really enjoy in ESO and the reason I like questing in this game so much compared to other MMOs where I just skip dialogue.
    Options
  • OleandersOne
    OleandersOne
    ✭✭✭
    Zezin wrote: »
    That's the thing about doing content a second time though, it's not fresh anymore and it won't ever be again, there's also an argument to be said on how many times people replay content like quests and for those who do how many actually listen to the story a second time. I agree on RP and immersion being broken and diminished but in terms of replaying content it's just as freash as content you've already done in the past is, you might not get a small ding congratulating you on finishing it but that's it.

That is entirely your experience. Yours. Not mine, not anyone else's. I often enjoy a book or movie <more> the second time or third, because knowing the story, I can focus on the sound track, background players, whatever. Please accept that people experience this game differently from yourself.

Edited for clarity
    Edited by OleandersOne on February 28, 2022 6:53PM
    Options
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    people go and play the new shinny thing and then come back.

not all the players come back. From New world, then Lost Ark and now Elden Ring I saw a costant drop in players and even if they don't like the new shinny things it's not sure that they come back to eso.
    PC-EU
    Options
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But we've heard no word if NPC dialogue will be fixed to track from quests, or if they intend to keep the world incoherent for our alts because their vision for the game is that alts are simply a different face of our main

For sure. I think they are probably waiting to gauge player reactions after U33 goes live. They have a lot of work in the pipeline that I'm sure they'd prefer to work on than retrofitting base game quest consequences from 2014. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Options
  • proprio.meb16_ESO
    proprio.meb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually rushed some questlines... and now i'm told i wont be able to appreciate them fully again, ever, unless i get another account or believe the quest fairy will fix them all before my kids will start going university... it's not even sad, it's simply ridiculous.
    Is this buy-once-play-once thing a feature? I dont like it. At all.
    Options
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I actually rushed some questlines... and now i'm told i wont be able to appreciate them fully again, ever, unless i get another account
    Most questlines that were tested on PTS can still be enjoyed on a second character. Very few are actually blocked from doing the quests themselves.

For those that are ... it's not really a solution, but there's always NA if you are on EU or vice versa. Only works for a second playthrough, but it will at least let you know what you missed by rushing the first time.
    Options
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jecks33 wrote: »
    people go and play the new shinny thing and then come back.

not all the players come back. From New world, then Lost Ark and now Elden Ring I saw a costant drop in players and even if they don't like the new shinny things it's not sure that they come back to eso.

True but that is beside the point for AwA, right now we can't tell if people won't be back.
    Options
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is entirely your experience. Yours. Not mine, not anyone else's. I often enjoy a book or movie <more> the second time or third, because knowing the story, I can focus on the sound track, background players, whatever. Please accept that people experience this game differently from yourself.

Edited for clarity

I never said you couldn't enjoy it a second time, I said it wasn't fresh.
    Options
  • proprio.meb16_ESO
    proprio.meb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually rushed some questlines... and now i'm told i wont be able to appreciate them fully again, ever, unless i get another account
    Most questlines that were tested on PTS can still be enjoyed on a second character. Very few are actually blocked from doing the quests themselves.

For those that are ... it's not really a solution, but there's always NA if you are on EU or vice versa. Only works for a second playthrough, but it will at least let you know what you missed by rushing the first time.
    Yeah, one of those i had long planned to do again is, by chance, one of the broken ones... the list is not so short if you have a look at it (there's an awesome post in bug report thread).

Anyway it's the fact itself to get in production something so broken that is just bad... i'm forced to swap to NA to redo a quest properly? really?

Never been against AWA, couldnt care less for titles and achvs, but even the worst game in the world would allow me to start a playthrough from scratch.
    Edited by proprio.meb16_ESO on March 1, 2022 11:02AM
    Options
  • OleandersOne
    OleandersOne
    ✭✭✭

Edited for clarity

And then (in the same sentence) you called into question how many people (of those that repeat quests) listen to the story.
    Options
  • Zezin
    Zezin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited for clarity

And then (in the same sentence) you called into question how many people (of those that repeat quests) listen to the story.

Yep
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually rushed some questlines... and now i'm told i wont be able to appreciate them fully again, ever, unless i get another account or believe the quest fairy will fix them all before my kids will start going university... it's not even sad, it's simply ridiculous.
    Is this buy-once-play-once thing a feature? I dont like it. At all.

Indeed. They need to revise their marketing mantra to "Play the way you want. Once."

Edited by Tandor on February 28, 2022 8:17PM
    Options
  • OleandersOne
    OleandersOne
    ✭✭✭

Edited for clarity

Yep

So again, one of us will say "next to no one", and one of us will say "a lot of people", and it ends up exactly like the "everyone I've talked to wants this AWA update" "no one I've talked to wants AWA like this" , and utterly meaningless. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. 79 pages of - Guys, it really doesn't matter. They're going to do what they planned to do whether it's well thought out or not.

They're scrambling for space.

Anyone notice 1 less of each campaign during Mayhem?

Folks, we're giving up character progression for card game space and a couple dungeons. That's that.

Yep, it's just like when your hard drive gets full on your computer, you delete old programs to make room for new ones. And that is exactly what ZOS is doing here.

They are deleting data (our characters' history) to make room on their servers for new data to sell us!

They even said so in the Q&A:
    By reducing the amount of data we have to store, the database doesn’t have to work as hard so the time it takes to search, load and save data will be sped up, leading to a more consistent user experience as the years go by and more data is added to the database.

So, once the new data (card game) fills up the server, what older part of our game will be deleted next for something new (that we will be paying for?)

It's no wonder they don't want to talk about it!
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zos could free up a lot of potential database options if they simply deleted all FTP accounts that don't actually have a game code attached.

Next step. Lock character character creation for a time. Lock account creation for a time. There are options that ZOS could do to free up database space and interactions.

Also, based on the language they are doing this now because of some future problem not one that really exists now.

I don't know and we won't know. They won't tell us. We get what we get. Zos gets what they get and does what they want.

I went back and totaled up my playtime in eso, and my IRL investment in the game these past 7 years. It's probably a drop in the bucket to what they earn as a company. But it's also roughly what a $15 per hour employee earned in a single year. I did that mostly to support zos to support eso the game and community I love enough to invest nearly 14,000 playtime hours and thousands of dollars in.

This is going to significantly impact how I play, how much I play, and more importantly to zos how much I pay. This whale is dead.

Options
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    Zos could free up a lot of potential database options if they simply deleted all FTP accounts that don't actually have a game code attached.

Next step. Lock character character creation for a time. Lock account creation for a time. There are options that ZOS could do to free up database space and interactions.

Also, based on the language they are doing this now because of some future problem not one that really exists now.

I don't know and we won't know. They won't tell us. We get what we get. Zos gets what they get and does what they want.

I went back and totaled up my playtime in eso, and my IRL investment in the game these past 7 years. It's probably a drop in the bucket to what they earn as a company. But it's also roughly what a $15 per hour employee earned in a single year. I did that mostly to support zos to support eso the game and community I love enough to invest nearly 14,000 playtime hours and thousands of dollars in.

This is going to significantly impact how I play, how much I play, and more importantly to zos how much I pay. This whale is dead.

You mean the 17-18 million inactive accounts out of the "19 million users"?
    Options
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »

You mean the 17-18 million inactive accounts out of the "19 million users"?

Exactly, it was a trend for quite some time to use FTP accounts to register personal guilds and unlock guild banks. Plenty have done it. It would free up space.

Also a more callous approach would have been to deregister any achievements for content that you don't have access to. Don't have thieves guild dlc? You don't see achievements related to it. Had it once via plus but no longer? Same.
    Options
  • Diora
    Diora
    ✭✭✭
    On my main account, I have chosen one alt that i'll play besides my main. She hasn't really done much in game, so i won't need achievements to remind me.

I'm currently going to run her through rivenspire/greymoor/markarth so she can experience the markarth epilogue before it goes away, because i love those characters and am extremely sad that particular epilogue is going to be unreachable for any alt going forward.

The rest of my alts, several of which are as old as my main, will be parked until at least after high isle.

I have a couple other FTP accounts. I think I will make my "alts" be one character from each of those accounts, so I can play through the world again "fresh" the only way it will be possible.
    Options
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PTS alchemy seems broken. It's stuck in a superposition of states between account-wide full knowledge but, at the craft table, an individual character still shows as having no individual knowledge (Schrodinger's alchemy cat).

With enchanting you(zos) made it clear you intended it to be character specific and provided extra visual cues to reflect this. Alchemy is NOT done the same way, nor given in your list of character specifics.

So which is it? Is it character-specific (as shown when an individual visits an alchemy craft table) or is it account-wide as the achievements tab indicate?

Either way it needs to be fixed, preferably by not going ahead with this unwelcome mess in its entirety.

edit:typos
    Edited by deleted221106-002999 on February 28, 2022 9:45PM
    Options