The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Quest Mode For Dungeons

ZeroDPS
ZeroDPS
✭✭✭✭
This one welcomes you!!
Hey guys this had been raised by me before but not as poll. Lets see if we want this happen. The main reason I'm(and maybe not only me(keep in mind for new players this is very important for 2 reasons: 1. They most likely very interested what's going on there 2. New players almost unable to solo even normal dungeon)) interested having quest mode(or maybe very low difficulty adventure mode) for every dungeon and trial is I literally missed every single quest story because all we just run through entire dungeon and trials. It is extremely difficult to ask players wait until you reading or listening to the quest story. It would be really amazing to have this mode so we can get into the story of every single dungeon and trial. You may say that trials will be difficult to adjust to this, but it is not true, we can make 300k-350k HP for the bosses and according HP for the rest + lowering damage. That's it.

P.S. I'm really waiting for this, that's why I'm 1200CP+ and did not do any quest in any dungeon!

So would you like having this mode in the game guys? Lets vote!!

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_RichLambert
Edited by ZeroDPS on January 13, 2022 2:56PM

Quest Mode For Dungeons 446 votes

Yes, I like this idea and want to get into the story
81%
NestorKowalzkyMallowAsilethsaf227_ESOMaddjujusilvereyesDeathStalkerBlueRavendelta_mysticSuddwrathUlfhethinndannymcgr81b14_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESODurnikKesstrylGLP323b14_ESOjotto32b14_ESODarcyMardinnihoumab14_ESO 364 votes
No, I dont like this idea(please comment why)
10%
NeeScrollsdmnqwkIpsiusWolfpawEtoriOreyn_BearclawpeacenoteLumsdenmlAsh_In_My_SujammaDalsinthusJaavaajad11mumblerDaddySkoalBrrrofskixericdxmeekmikoKatheriahaaisoahoWelanduzThlepse 45 votes
Other, leave your idea below
8%
Thorntonguewenchmore420b14_ESOLalocatDarrettAruneiTannus15radiostarMerlin13KAGLAlnilamEfizl101WolfkeksBobby_V_RockitTelvanniWizardTroodon80IsharaMeradincolossalvoidsSylvermynxGregatuxonhafgood 37 votes
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I'm not bothered by this but understand why some want it. Not worried if it gives the skillpoint and quest reward or not but don't think the mobs / bosses should drop anything.

And I don't think it should be repeatable, you should only be able to do it on a character that hasn't done the quest, otherwise is has the potential to be farmed as a quick way of completing the sticker book.
  • Arthtur
    Arthtur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont have problems with adding this so person can do this just for story.

I have a problem with giving the same rewards for free. Whats the point of doing the trial/dungeon is u can go solo story mode and get everything u want....
    I have a problem with a group story mode too as normal dungeons are easy to duo with companions and it would split the playerbase.

Also when i wanted to learn the story i become "good" enough to solo dungeons. And i dont think there is any talking to npc in trials except on the start and at the end. So the only thing u need to do is to beat the trial. And u know the story.
    PC/EU @Arthtur

Toxic Tank for the win :x
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since ZOS insists on connecting the dungeons to the year long story, I think a story-mode is needed for dungeons. No rewards; just story.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a quest mode for dungeons. I can't solo most of them and I like to take my time with quests, plus I read slowly at the best of times, so trying to do the quest in a group is not practical.

I'd be fine with removing all the rewards, except maybe the reward from the quest itself (which isn't farmable because the quests can only be completed once per character). This would be strictly something I do in order to actually experience the story, not for farming drops, which is what the existing dungeons modes are already used for.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since ZOS insists on connecting the dungeons to the year long story, I think a story-mode is needed for dungeons. No rewards; just story.

Exactly this.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hey @ZeroDPS. Thanks for the feedback and thought toward improving the player experience for both new and existing players. We'll keep tabs on the feedback here and pass along the thread for future consideration after more players have been able to share thoughts.

Thanks and look forward to the feedback!
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Emphatically yes.
    PC EU
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't mind if there is a quest version, but I wouldn't expect the dungeon drops to occur. Maybe the overland sets related to the zone the dungeon is in similar to a delve or public dungeon. Also any achievements for the dungeon to be disabled, such as if you get any related to hidden bosses or similar
    Soupy twist
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked the idea of a range of difficulties, especially for dungeon content that advances the overall story arc. I didn't play EQ2 for long (got pulled away by WOW :)) but I seem to remember some (all?) group dungeons having a solo option.

Considering how many players play ESO casually and how good the stories are in most dungeons, it seems like a natural fit to provide a solo, story option in this game.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love this idea. There's been so many times I've wanted to hear the stories and I can't because every group is in a hurry. We'd have to be careful though - we don't want to disincentive grouping, because that'd hurt the community. Maybe no transmute tokens, reduced drops, something.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Interesting Poll.

I said 'No.

Reason being:

"New players almost unable to solo even normal dungeon" - the longer players play, the better they get.

I could not do public dungeons on my own till I got better. Same with some Undaunted Dungeons - I can solo some now. It took time. Can I do Vet - Nope. But will work up to. For Vet Dungeons, I had to group. And it was fun. One day though...#VetSolo
    Yes, sometimes I had to wait, but there are other things to do in the game.

Enjoyment came from the challenge of achievement.

Play the game, Learn the Game, Love the Game.

Would rather see more game development - new content, features...

Tanks for posting!

Z
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted yes, but I would like to add an addendum that I think it would be lovely to have the dungeon quests made repeatable and shareable.

The reason being, in some dungeons there is dialogue that is quest-specific, meaning you can only have it if you are on the quest, and in some dungeons such as Moon Hunter Keep, you can get different outcomes depending on the choices you make during the quests.

So I think it would be good to make them repeatable, but the skill points they grant should of course only be earned the first time you complete it.
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love a soloable mode. I don't need rewards other than the story (with one caveat mentioned below)

Sure, a lot of people can solo most nDungeons - there are even people who can solo vet HMs, but that's the expection, not the rule. Even with my tank and a Companion, I can do the BG vHMs with no issue (besides taking 20 minutes on the final boss), and I can solo the nDLCs.

But...

There are still some dungeons that have mechanics that you just can't do solo: Direfrost (two pressure pads), ICP (two levers), etc. There are also things like Blackheart that require you to have a specific build, or Mazzatun that curse you and you have to randomly spam to fix it.

It'd be nice if, even we just kept the normal difficulty as it was, the normal mode made it so it was clearable solo. Doesn't need to be easy, just possible.

Now what I mean by a caveat: if the reward is 'you get to see the story,' we need a way to be able to actually see the story.

A lot of people are getting their first look at dungeons by queueing into the dungeon and then the fake tank/fake healer/100k+ DPS farming transmutes will rush off and clear everything while you're spamming 'E' at every questgiver to get the quest and skill point. Basically, no dialogue is being listened to, or read, or anything. And then you finish and get your skill point, and that's it.

What we need is a way to repeat those quests. Trial quests are repeatable, but not dungeons. The dungeon quests should be repeatable just so you can go through with the story and actually see it once you're able to. Doesn't need rewards, even if they don't want to give the handful of change that you get for a 2nd trial quest in a week. I don't care, I just want to experience some of these stories. Again, with the fact that dungeons are connected to the main stories, it should not block anyone form hearing them even if they are tangentially related, but you should also be able to hear it even if your first time through a dungeon was accelerated/ruined by speedrunners.

I feel like that's really lacking. There's a decent amount of time that goes into making these quests that nobody sees - I remember there was a discussion a while back on the forum that a story involving a Reach invasion of Falkreath would be a good story and a nice way to add the zone, without realizing that's literally the story of the FH dungeon quest. And it's understandable: most people now know it's the dungeon where you have to jump over the path and skip all the mobs to the first boss, then run through dodging meteor AoEs until you get to the bone colossus, then wipe on him a few times since one of the DPS doesn't understand they need to run the soul to the cleanse pad, then wipe again at the draugr since nobody's cleansing the corpses, then hide behind pillars for 'Grovel!' At least now people are going a bit slower to look for chests now that there's a lead in there.

So I think the first thing that we need to do is make the dungeon quests repeatable for no reward after the first time. Then anyone who got carried through earlier can go back and get the story - after all, when's the last time anyone actually saw the story for FGI? Then make sure all of the dungeons can be soloed by a good player on normal without cheese by a specific build. Then we can talk about adding a walkthrough mode.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd love a soloable mode. I don't need rewards other than the story (with one caveat mentioned below)

Sure, a lot of people can solo most nDungeons - there are even people who can solo vet HMs, but that's the expection, not the rule. Even with my tank and a Companion, I can do the BG vHMs with no issue (besides taking 20 minutes on the final boss), and I can solo the nDLCs.

But...

There are still some dungeons that have mechanics that you just can't do solo: Direfrost (two pressure pads), ICP (two levers), etc. There are also things like Blackheart that require you to have a specific build, or Mazzatun that curse you and you have to randomly spam to fix it.

It'd be nice if, even we just kept the normal difficulty as it was, the normal mode made it so it was clearable solo. Doesn't need to be easy, just possible.

Now what I mean by a caveat: if the reward is 'you get to see the story,' we need a way to be able to actually see the story.

A lot of people are getting their first look at dungeons by queueing into the dungeon and then the fake tank/fake healer/100k+ DPS farming transmutes will rush off and clear everything while you're spamming 'E' at every questgiver to get the quest and skill point. Basically, no dialogue is being listened to, or read, or anything. And then you finish and get your skill point, and that's it.

What we need is a way to repeat those quests. Trial quests are repeatable, but not dungeons. The dungeon quests should be repeatable just so you can go through with the story and actually see it once you're able to. Doesn't need rewards, even if they don't want to give the handful of change that you get for a 2nd trial quest in a week. I don't care, I just want to experience some of these stories. Again, with the fact that dungeons are connected to the main stories, it should not block anyone form hearing them even if they are tangentially related, but you should also be able to hear it even if your first time through a dungeon was accelerated/ruined by speedrunners.

I feel like that's really lacking. There's a decent amount of time that goes into making these quests that nobody sees - I remember there was a discussion a while back on the forum that a story involving a Reach invasion of Falkreath would be a good story and a nice way to add the zone, without realizing that's literally the story of the FH dungeon quest. And it's understandable: most people now know it's the dungeon where you have to jump over the path and skip all the mobs to the first boss, then run through dodging meteor AoEs until you get to the bone colossus, then wipe on him a few times since one of the DPS doesn't understand they need to run the soul to the cleanse pad, then wipe again at the draugr since nobody's cleansing the corpses, then hide behind pillars for 'Grovel!' At least now people are going a bit slower to look for chests now that there's a lead in there.

So I think the first thing that we need to do is make the dungeon quests repeatable for no reward after the first time. Then anyone who got carried through earlier can go back and get the story - after all, when's the last time anyone actually saw the story for FGI? Then make sure all of the dungeons can be soloed by a good player on normal without cheese by a specific build. Then we can talk about adding a walkthrough mode.

You get an awesome purely for your accurate description of the average FH run!
    Soupy twist
  • ZigoSid
    ZigoSid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah a solo mode would be nice, and repeatable if possible so I can redo all the dungeons with my main character to appreciate them story-wise this time.

We can already repeat arenas and trials so I don't think it''ll need a huge work to do.

And of course no rewards, except usual money and ressources from the mobs.
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, because normal mode is pretty much brain dead difficulty and queueing for it is also very very very easy. It's difficulty is where overland difficulty should be imo. So I personally see no reason for an easier mode. I am all for two man content though.

Regarding the "listening to the quest issue now. I run random normals on 8 characters along with a friend. First thing we do as we enter the dungeon is say hello to the group chat. You know what answer we get most of the time? Silence. We have no issue waiting for a player to listen to the quest or ask for advice. Hell we even rp sometimes or check the amazing environment design while we wait. But usually people don't speak and get carried around like a sack of potatoes.

But we didn't always have 8 characters. A few years ago we had only one and we were major noobs. I was running a stamplar with night silence and ashen grip. I sucked. Do you know what we did? We joined a casual guild and ran dungeons and dailies. Guild finder zos introduced is a very good tool and people should use it! There are plenty of guilds out there with people wanting the same thing as you.

So yeah I think that an mmo should be played like an mmo. Especially when it comes to group content. And eso, when it comes to mmos, is already one of the most solo friendly games.

Btw, WOW! Seeing a mod commenting on context is a rare sight. Usually they just copy paste the forum rules or just delete posts. Especially when it's on threads about pvp or performance issues.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure even easier difficulty than normal is really needed though as a piece of feedback it would be extremely nice to have no group-lock mechanics present in an instance when you're not grouped and travelled in a dungeon alone/by foot. Meaning ones that locking you from opening doors, portals etc. without other player around and boss mechanics like pins or other disabling effects that require "unpin" from other player. Would be a huge QoL for both normal and veteran dungeons.
  • Gleitfrosch
    Gleitfrosch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Story mode for dungeons would be great, just wish I would be able to do the quests again. Many quests I had to click through quickly to keep up with the group, ob was teleported to the boss during the dialouge in some cases.

Also the reward would be irrelevant to me in story mode, basic loot or delve level loot would be sufficient.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Change my vote to a yes.

After some consideration, story mode will work if the following criteria are met:
    • Story mode must be a separate queue. (Story, Normal, Veteran)
    • Set drops are disabled to prevent splintering the queues.
    • Solo players and premade groups only. Otherwise we have the same problem that exists today. Players will run ahead.
    • Lower dungeon difficulty down to the bare minimum so 1 player can complete it. (i.e. Overland difficulty)
    • Dungeon quests must be repeatable so you can replay through the story as many times as you want.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on January 13, 2022 4:17PM
    PC NA
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Btw people mentioning repeating the quest and I'm fairly sure all the dungeons are the same in that regard - the story is played exactly the same no matter having quest or not, same NPC's with same lines when you speak to them, just no map markers to actually see where you heading. Would be a quick fix to add them back if you went there solo, for example.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Btw people mentioning repeating the quest and I'm fairly sure all the dungeons are the same in that regard - the story is played exactly the same no matter having quest or not, same NPC's with same lines when you speak to them, just no map markers to actually see where you heading. Would be a quick fix to add them back if you went there solo, for example.

This depends on the dungeon. It's mostly true for the dlc dungeons, although as an counterexample, the end of dread cellar plays out the same as the choice you made on your quest completion run, although there are two different endings so you can't see the other one.
    But in some of the base game dungeons its decidedly not true. Elden hollow 1,for example, none of the quest NPCs spawn if no one is doing the quest.
  • mickeyx
    mickeyx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes why not. It's only for story.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not for the basegames. There are some of those that have significant differences. They've gotten better at that with the DLCs

Off the quest, there are a lot of times that you can run through and nuke things, but on the quest you'll often miss most of the dialogue. Many of the questgiver NPCs will be stuck on their 'I already talked to you' dialogue, so you can't see the background flavor dialogue anymore.

As for differences, in Direfrost, there's even an extra boss that you only hit on the quest (the three draugr in the center after you pull the lever). Volenfell also has a key thing where on-quest will have a bunch of NPCs digging around when youu go to get the lever for Boilbite, but they're all absent off the quest. You also get the skeletons after the final boss only on the quest.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all of the DLC being part of year long story, it only makes sense to have a story mode.
    I don't care if the story mode removes the gear, I just want to be able to experience the story at my own pace.
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agreed, also make them repeatable quests.
    it's been years since i did some of them and i don't remember anything.
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normal difficulty pretty much is story mode. Part of the story is you're a *group* of undaunted. If people are rushing you through the content in pugs, find an RP guild where you can find other like minded people who want to go through slowly, and donor with them. I just don't think another mode would be worth the effort (which for some dungeons would be substantial as the anti-solo mechanics like the pressure plates in Direfrost Keep or the portal stands in Aetherian Archive would need a complete rework).
  • PrimusTiberius
    PrimusTiberius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why No, normal dungeons are easy and they're easy for a reason, learning mechanics and working as team. Its also easy to do the quest stuff when in a guild because like minded players are also reading, checking cabinets, containers and opening chest.

when you're pugging trials or dungeons, everyone has separate objectives as to why they're running the content and many players don't care what the other player is doing. I've seen players asking for specific gear at the start of a run but they'll blast past a chest to get to the main boss, missing out on loot. You just have to shake it off.

I run both pugs and run with my guildies, trust me when I say, get with a guild so you can run the events as you like. Mic up so when players call out heavy bag or chest, you can loot them and when the event is over, everyone is trading with everyone. When running with my guild, we're looking through everything to see what treasure we can find and most likely you'll come out of it with something you didn't have before.....our Vets are always giving stuff to the newbies.

When I'm running pugs, its for the transmute crystals and for gear for my sticker book, so I don't care how fast the rabbits are running. If I see a chest, I'll stop and open it, I don't care how far off the others are, I'm grabbing that loot ;)

Cheers
    Everyone is going in one direction, I'm going the other direction
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ajkb78 wrote: »
    Normal difficulty pretty much is story mode. Part of the story is you're a *group* of undaunted. If people are rushing you through the content in pugs, find an RP guild where you can find other like minded people who want to go through slowly, and donor with them. I just don't think another mode would be worth the effort (which for some dungeons would be substantial as the anti-solo mechanics like the pressure plates in Direfrost Keep or the portal stands in Aetherian Archive would need a complete rework).

There are some dungeons that even on normal difficulty, have mechanics that make it so you cannot complete the dungeon.
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not reading the entire thread, so apologies if I'm repeating what's already been said. Just wanted to share another player experience here.

I mainly play ESO for the story. Even if the Dungeon DLCs aren't integral to the year-long stories, they're still part of it. I'm just barely good enough at this game to solo most of the newer DLC dungeons on normal mode, so I play through the story on my own until I hit a wall. At that point, I PUG and speed-read the rest of the quest.

It works, I guess? But I don't get to enjoy the story the same way as I do the normal zone quests. And forget about even touching the trial stories. Since the trials seem to be pretty standalone, I don't mind missing those too much, but the dungeons being part of the main story is a little bit of a bummer.
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't do dungeons in general. Once high enough CP I did the base games dungeons solo to complete them (there were 2 I could not solo because of mechanics in the dungeon). I've not attempted any DLC dungeons.

Overall, with the complaints I see on the forum with groups and roles in dungeon finder, I could see a quest mode option of some type. And even though I am primarily a solo player for questing, I'm not sure if it should be an easy mode to be done solo versus just an option to indicate the group run is for quest completion and not other dailies (leading to "fake" role selection, etc.).