The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crash to desktop

• alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, thanks for these reports. We are looking into this. If you play on PC and crashed without the send report option popping up, it would be helpful for us to get more information from you so we can investigate further. If you happen to remember where you were on the map (or in the dungeon, trial, etc.) or what you were doing please let us know.

i have had my task manager up since this happened and have been watching, i noticed my memory leaking and gpu spikes lucky i have not had blue screens like some
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago in a different game there was a similar situation where people were getting a lot of crashes while others were getting few to none. It happened after the game was updated and the devs had just got done modifying the way the memory was being handled. I figured out it was a particular antivirus software closing the application because of the way it was accessing and using the memory. There weren’t normal logs or alerts you had to do some digging to figure it out.

If the game was placed in the exceptions for active scanning of running applications the crashing stopped. I am wondering for those who have repeatable crashes in specific areas of the game, what will happen if they placed the eso.exe in the exceptions lists in their antivirus software.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was crashing all the time after Markarth release on PC NA.

Most common, repeatable crash...grapple in Unhallowed Grave...total freeze mid grapple with sound all jacked up. The only way out was to force a computer reboot.

I noticed Nvidia errors in event log. Researching error code, I saw posts in nvidia forums saying upgrade to Win10 Preview 20H2 and current driver (the last two Nvidia driver releases are good). It fixed the crashes for me, and I have not crashed since. I am not crashing now. YMMV.
  • oanavintila
    Xbox NA

vHRC - 3 people crashed about 30 seconds after going through left door downstairs (two necros and one templar) in close succession (about 5-10 seconds apart). One nightblade crashed upstairs around the same time. They were all using different abilities and crashes happened one after another, so I don’t think it was a specific skill that triggered it. We had another 2-3 crashes after killing downstairs boss while just sitting around doing nothing. Then a templar (offtank) crashed during last boss.

vAA - multiple crashes going through the first set of portals after first boss. No skills were being used during this time.

vAS+2 - one necro crashed during Olms’ 75% jump. Skills going out during this time were spammables and light attacks.

vSS - had one person crash consistently on ice dragon. He had trouble with getting pulled into the fight (crashed on loading screen) as as crashing no more than 30 seconds into the fight when he did make it there. Also had several other people crash on the same fight, but not as consistently.

Also had reports of people crashing while parsing on necromancers in small houses/apartments.

EDIT: I should mention these crashes have started after the update on Monday (11/23). Xbox was not having these issues previously.
    Edited by oanavintila on November 24, 2020 3:47PM
  • O-Los_Zulis
    O-Los_Zulis
    ✭✭✭
    So far no crash here but a lot of my group keep crashing in heavy Cyrodiil fights with a lot of graphics going on from spells. If that helps.
    Tyger Blue Eyes

"My words mean nothing if you never listen."

-=15+ Toons=- cp1300+ Master Crafter+ 12+AD 1DC 1EP=-

• Czekoludek
    Czekoludek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove several posts for rule violations, mainly Bashing. Ensure when engaging in a discussion that you keep said discussion civil, constructive, and within the rules. Non-Constructive posts and discussions do not help the situation and can get in the way of useful discussion.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.

As I expected my posts were removed even when it wasn't bashing but stating the facts. Maybe you should read your Community Rules, didn't know censorship was one of your rules
  • Charity164
    Charity164
    ✭✭
    On PS4 NA. last night(11/23) in scp all 4 of us were blue screening at the last boss. We got thru the dungeon with no problems, then at the last boss it was constant blue screens. We stopped running dungeons after that. I had long load screens all night too. I had no problem when doing the dalies in The Reach, it wasn't until running dungeons that problems started.
    AD Breton templar healer
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crashes are still happening, in my case on vAA, vSS, vSCP, and a few others I don't recall.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

Most common, repeatable crash...grapple in Unhallowed Grave...total freeze mid grapple with sound all jacked up. The only way out was to force a computer reboot.

I noticed Nvidia errors in event log. Researching error code, I saw posts in nvidia forums saying upgrade to Win10 Preview 20H2 and current driver (the last two Nvidia driver releases are good). It fixed the crashes for me, and I have not crashed since. I am not crashing now. YMMV.

For Windows 10 a good rule of thumb is that no unprivileged code should be able to take down the OS. If the task manager doesn't work it's an OS/driver bug (even if game triggered). If the task manager does work and cleanly kills it then it's probably a game bug - but could still be a driver/library bug

For the current crashes we've seen the same crashes on AMD and Nvidia systems and on PC and non PC so I think we know where the bugs are. The mystery is how any of the release got through QA.

Too many toons not enough time
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    many crashes, mostly when using AoE with effects, everytime when fightiny WB alo e (Deshan today and yesterday I crashed on every WB 2-5 times when soloing alone with stamina warden), some random crashes during overland travel and delving, almost everytime I have crash on dolmens...
    Playing on Mac OS Big Sir, Catalina and the same happens also on Windows... Addons are not the issue, I have addons only on one of three PC installed...
    Every log was sent to devs, but everytime I noticed some memory overflow caused by time delay or noresponse...
    I have also noticed that my TTR (ping response) is growing with time spent in game, startomg at normal 50ms to 65ms up to 999+.... Also I have had mostly ping undr 100ms, but now it is mostly 200-300ms... My internet connection has not changed, everything else is working fine as before.
  • richiesgr
    richiesgr
    Soul Shriven
    Hi

Playing with Steam

Crash to desktop everywhere:
    PVP in IC a lot
    PVE in dungeon a lot
    PVE normal almost no crash

After crash unable to login because server not available or account already logged in
    No Log No Trace just game exit direct to desktop

PC with core i5-7600K + 16GB memory + Radeon RX5700 XT
    Internet Optic 1GB/s
    Edited by richiesgr on November 24, 2020 5:24PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    ZOS has been doing optimizations, so make sure your drivers are up-to-date(including BIOS). If ZOS implemented new ways/commands to control the CPU/GPU, it could be possible the crashes are caused by out-of-date drivers.

My game used to crash on a specific summerset boss's skill, updating my BIOS drivers fixed it. (including crashes in some other games)

I'm not saying all your crashes are caused by this(or even any). But if it helps even one of you guys, it was worth it to post this. Just trying to help!

Messing with BIOS is a good way to brick your PC. Unless there is a very specific reason to do this or your system is massively out of date, this is monumentally bad advice.

If your base drivers were that broken, you'd be having issues with more than just this specific application.

I won't even get started on "new ways/commands to control the GPU."
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • cynaes
    cynaes
    ✭✭✭
    PC EU

Multiple times (though usually not more than once per evening. Usually in either a Battleground or a Random Dungeon. I never got the "send crash report"-window. In all instances I was fighting/healing.
    Haven't had a problem with CTD outside of BG or Group finder.
  • pamichic
    pamichic
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_SarahHecker How can console submit reports to help? We are on a consistent crash in trials as well. We will all gladly provide any information to get this fixed ASAP
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    ZOS has been doing optimizations, so make sure your drivers are up-to-date(including BIOS). If ZOS implemented new ways/commands to control the CPU/GPU, it could be possible the crashes are caused by out-of-date drivers.

My game used to crash on a specific summerset boss's skill, updating my BIOS drivers fixed it. (including crashes in some other games) **Edit: Only let a professional do this!**

I'm not saying all your crashes are caused by this(or even any). But if it helps even one of you guys, it was worth it to post this. Just trying to help!

Messing with BIOS is a good way to brick your PC. Unless there is a very specific reason to do this or your system is massively out of date, this is monumentally bad advice.

If your base drivers were that broken, you'd be having issues with more than just this specific application.

I won't even get started on "new ways/commands to control the GPU."
    Messing with your BIOS is very dangerous yes! This is why in every other post where I explain this in more detail, I post to always let a professional do this.

You are however incorrect that this only accounts to older systems! Because I had an out of date BIOS on my brand new pc(2020), as my CPU was released several months after my motherboard was released. I only found this out after checking everything else, and ended up comparing my BIOS version vs my CPU model. Where it showed my CPU wasn't fully supported untill several bios versions later. This was the cause of my crashes.

This is why I posted this advice. Anyone who bought a motherboard which predates their CPU could possibly have this issue.

PS: I know what I'm doing( IT guy), but for anyone who does not know what they are doing: Only let a professional update your bios, and only if it is truly needed! To know if it is needed, check the box your CPU came in for the CPU model. Also check the box your motherboard came in, for the motherboard manufacturer and model. Than go to the website of your motherboard manufacturer, and check from which bios version your CPU will be fully supported. After that, let someone check your bios version to see if it matches! (better to let a professional check all of the previously mentioned!)

PPS: I'll edit my previous post a bit, to make using a professional more clear.
    Edited by Sarannah on November 24, 2020 8:01PM
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC EU crashing roughly every 30 mins in kynes aegis.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always seem to crash when my enlightenment kicks in... so many times over the years that I've crashed and logged back in and thate nligtenment buff notice pops up...
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pamichic wrote: »
    @ZOS_SarahHecker How can console submit reports to help? We are on a consistent crash in trials as well. We will all gladly provide any information to get this fixed ASAP

Normally we get crash data from consoles automatically, but if there is something that is always causing you to crash (such as a specific boss or mechanic) feel free to post here or do a bug report so we can look into it further.
    Staff Post
  • UtopianWarrior88
    UtopianWarrior88
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to get Fang Focused today, PC EU

Oh Zhaj'hassa: 3 crashes

We got to the beam phase without crashes (miracle), and then on beaming: 3 people in the middle had a crash. We had a mixture of crashes to desktop and full freezes.
  • Silly2202
    Silly2202
    ✭✭
    PC EU
    Was trying to do vMoL Fang Focused and i crash 3 time in the hol trial, with others crashing aswell we had a total of 17 crashes in 2 hours...
  • Pearly
    Pearly
    ✭✭✭
    PC NA - vSS Hard Mode

We were usually able to get through Lokkestiiz and Yolnahkriin without crashes (maybe 1 or 2 total in 2 pulls of each), but Nahviintaas is a different story. People continued to crash at various phases of the fight: on the initial trash pull as soon as the fight started, as soon as the dragon flew up and trash spawned, as soon as the dragon landed, etc. There was no consistent pattern that we could find.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

For Windows 10 a good rule of thumb is that no unprivileged code should be able to take down the OS. If the task manager doesn't work it's an OS/driver bug (even if game triggered). If the task manager does work and cleanly kills it then it's probably a game bug - but could still be a driver/library bug

For the current crashes we've seen the same crashes on AMD and Nvidia systems and on PC and non PC so I think we know where the bugs are. The mystery is how any of the release got through QA.

Makes total sense since issues are on all platforms. I just wanted to add my 2 cents with regards to PC side, since I was crashing, and now I'm not.
  • Miswar
    Miswar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Normally we get crash data from consoles automatically, but if there is something that is always causing you to crash (such as a specific boss or mechanic) feel free to post here or do a bug report so we can look into it further.

The problem with your console data is that so many crashes are game freezes too where you have to manually shutdown the game to proceed. If that happens than there is no report this option available.

Thus you are missing tons of these and believe me there so many crashes and problems that your data should piling up even without those.

How this ever passed through any Q&A is astonishing.... and personally dont believe you were unaware of how buggy these patches have been.
  • davapoole
    davapoole
    ✭✭✭
    doing the reef world boss in sumerset. i saw my group friend crash right next to me and then i froze and whole pc locked up and had to manually restart pc to get anything to work. this was about 10.45 pm uk time. but earlier tonight doing 4 man dungeon banished 1 on normal two of us were getting the game just freezing for between 5-10 seconds then it reset but di that at least 4 times in dungeon. tonight have been getting huge latency spikes. plus guilds vet prog group were doing a trial and near end whole group crashed stopping tthem all getting it done and getting the achievement they have been trying to get. so is a major problem withthe eu servers tonight and i mean way worse than normal
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    i haven't played some hard content after last dlc - just some random WB, delves etc. and still had some CTDs

almost no problems with my magcro (with almost all skills aoe) even cleaned couple of times elden hollow solo.
    one ctd really close to world boss at wrothgar (nyzchaleft) and one riding in open world.

sorcerer(mag) - something as lvl 25 - cleared murkmire main quest yesterday without single problem.

!stamcro and stamden - with them it is not only ctd, with briarheart or unfathomable darkness with first shot(bow) i'm freezing most of the time - who remembers freezing after getting experience, it is not necessary to be the same problem but feeling is the same.
  • Vizirith
    Vizirith
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crash randomly in cyro, no noticeable similarities between crashes. Might be time to look into QA/QI, this is hardly the first, second or 34th time something obvious was broken after a patch.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Crash on a Ritual Site boss and get no reward. Go to BG crash and get a deserter time out.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• karliahquinn
    karliahquinn
    ✭✭✭
    PC EU 2 people crashed one after the other on the last boss of nCoH2
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

When will we have the next real patch?
  • linlilia
    linlilia
    ✭✭✭

I am hard crashing to desktop in heavy multi-add combats with multiple players. So bad that it is forcing me to restart my computer...............This is on a Windows 10 machine, more than enough specs, and this has been worse than before the update on Monday............