The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crash to desktop

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    yesterday got booted loading into my character
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figure today was about 20 - when trying to leave houses; use wayshrines; switch characters; or switch servers. Every day about the same. Don’t all happen at the same time of the day / with increased or deceased traffic. Sometimes porting to an alternate wayshrine (ie. Solitude Docks instead of actually IN the city) works... other times, not. Could go 6 hours of non-stop gameplay with no issues travelling; or might try 6 times in a row to leave my house unsuccessfully. It’s an unpredictable and unreliable mess.

S.

Edit: above example is from PCNA. Oddly - the same thing happened a TON on XBOX for a long time after Greymoor launch - but I haven’t experienced porting / DCing issues on that server in a long time (just a TON of other things!). Oof.
    Edited by ShawnLaRock on May 27, 2021 7:08AM
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happened for the first time last night, game was running perfect and then I crashed
  • WySoSirius
    WySoSirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think from now on I am just going to screen dump every CTD error I get. Seems it gains more attention here than submitted tickets
  • WySoSirius
    WySoSirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    nmsept172160.jpg
  • FrogSpell
    FrogSpell
    Soul Shriven
    Before the patch I was getting on real fine, now I'm crashing to a black screen and sometimes textures are slow loading. I have checked all my drivers and they are up to date, I tried reducing graphics etc and turning off addons.. but I'm still getting crashes...Nothing has changed on my PC except the patches this week. I'm now running the launcher repair again but did that already yesterday but it's worth trying.
    Edited by FrogSpell on May 29, 2021 1:34PM
  • karliahquinn
    karliahquinn
    ✭✭✭
    Crashed 4x this week, all while in trials

PC EU
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On current hardware/good internet connection/everything up to date/no addons/default settings. My crashes are random like others, but still happening. I do notice a pattern however, I always get a C2D while standing at any undaunted enclave or area that is busy for longer than ~5-15 mins. This has been happening ever since the patch in November 2020, prior to that I very rarely had any crashes, if any. :#

EDIT: Maybe unrelated, but also worth mentioning that I am seeing a lot more occurrences of brief loading screen flash while just walking around areas I am already loaded into.
    Edited by scorpius2k1 on May 29, 2021 3:20PM
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Remove ALL addons and I can guarantee you that you will NEVER crash to desktop.

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • WySoSirius
    WySoSirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    8lmipwvyb9yz.jpg
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got the gray screen of death last night while playing in the usual Cyrodiil lag. Everything just locked up and froze in place like this for five minutes, until I had to close the program to get out of it. Connection was good, YouTube tunes never stopped playing. Win 7 OS with Radeon HD 7900 graphics.

4g0slST.png
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    Game still crashes to desktop at random for no reason. Just stops.
  • Shazanti
    Shazanti
    ✭✭✭
    Very recently (as in, the past 2-3 weeks) I've had the oddest CTDs. No error message box or crash reporter, and it doesn't matter what I might be doing, the game very quickly completely shuts down. It's just <BLIP> hello desktop. I could be loading a character into the game, or standing near a wayshrine, I could be in the middle of crafting for a writ, I could be at the bank, I could be looking through my inventory, I could be at the beginning/middle of a fight, I could be running to loot the corpse after a fight was done. <BLIP> desktop in a fraction of a second.

Only twice out of the dozens of times this has happened during this recent time frame have I had the 'account already logged in' message when I boot the game back up, which was something that *always* happened before when the (previously very rare) CTDs would happen.

I really wish I could get an error box so I'd have some idea what's going on.
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    I crashed 3 times today before I gave up just now. It was unplayable lag in cyro. Had to log off.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pc na I often ctd during combat when I have to do lots of blocking.
    Crashed during chudan fight on a healer then crashed in V SCP on my tank.
  • ZAMOLXIS
    ZAMOLXIS
    ✭✭✭
    4 times today only, other pb as well...with my char abilities
    knowledge itself is power!
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I crashed 3 times today before I gave up just now. It was unplayable lag in cyro. Had to log off.

Yeah I crashed out on a hammer ulti last night.
  • jasonhunter
    jasonhunter
    ✭✭✭
    Since the last update I also have been crashing all the time.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's like weeping angels... every time I look away it crashes to desktop. I look back... no game!
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 disconnects when I am fighting in Cyrodiil. Feels stupid to log into a game that works as bad as this.
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 times now.
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO is the only game I play where crashing to desktop is the norm for most players. It's worse during intense combat for sure. Sometimes I get the white page error report option, but I never bother with submitting the error report. Everyone knows the primary issue is insufficient servers leased to support the game.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is the only game I play where crashing to desktop is the norm for most players. It's worse during intense combat for sure. Sometimes I get the white page error report option, but I never bother with submitting the error report. Everyone knows the primary issue is insufficient servers leased to support the game.

Where is your evidence that crashing to desktop is the norm for most players? Or that everyone knows that the primary issue is insufficient servers leased to support the game? You do know that a megaserver consists of more than one server, right?
    Edited by Tandor on November 14, 2021 5:43PM
  • Shazanti
    Shazanti
    ✭✭✭

Even though I'm a victim of a current batch of no-warning instant game shutdowns, I don't think what's happening to me is the norm. Even before this latest issue, I would get random crashes (but those always either booted me to login, or took the game a long time to close down and send me to desktop). Sure, crashes might happen now and have happened before, but they were far, far from the 'norm'. One crash every 2-3 months (or more) for both my husband and I combined is our (prior to my current issue) 'norm'. And over the years perhaps two of those crashes were during 'intense combat', so I'm not certain where this 'norm for most players' is coming from.

So, yeah, I agree with this:
    Tandor wrote: »
    Where is your evidence that crashing to desktop is the norm for most players?
    Edited by Shazanti on November 14, 2021 5:43PM
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭

Where is your evidence that crashing to desktop is the norm for most players? Or that everyone knows that the primary issue is insufficient servers leased to support the game? You do know that a megaserver consists of more than one server, right?

I play everyday for at least 2-3 hours. There are 1-2 full raid groups running in my guild at that time, so 12-24 players. Everyone, everyday, almost without fail, has one crash to desktop. It is worse for some than for others. I do not know why.
    So maybe it's primarily a PvP thing, but it absolutely, undeniably, is happening, every day we run, and has been the norm for years. Most people in PvP zone chat say it's the norm for them. The severity/frequency does vary some with each update.

As for the server issues, I've been playing since shortly after beta. I've seen and read most of what has been posted about server issues over the years. We've seen what used to happen for better performance during MYM events. We've seen how they can fix the majority of the performance issues in cyrodiil, but they don't. At least 8 times we've seen ZOS fix most performance issues in cyrodiil with a single maintenance, then revert those changes in a single maintenance once the event is over. Instead they try everything except leasing more/better servers (or what ever the changes they made were to the servers) just prior to and just after MYM events. This is also common knowledge. The last MYM event was the first time performance in cyrodiil did not improve with increased event populations. Presumably the reasoning is it's an obvious tell to the consumer that something could be done, but for some reason it's not being done.

I could go on for pages reviewing all the ways we know servers and server load are the primary issues leading to performance problems, but they've been pointed out and rehashed so many times by now it's practically an insult to ask the question.

I'm just pointing out realities. Sure, some don't like these realities, but that doesn't change reality.
    Shazanti wrote: »

Even though I'm a victim of a current batch of no-warning instant game shutdowns, I don't think what's happening to me is the norm. Even before this latest issue, I would get random crashes (but those always either booted me to login, or took the game a long time to close down and send me to desktop). Sure, crashes might happen now and have happened before, but they were far, far from the 'norm'. One crash every 2-3 months (or more) for both my husband and I combined is our (prior to my current issue) 'norm'. And over the years perhaps two of those crashes were during 'intense combat', so I'm not certain where this 'norm for most players' is coming from.

Edited by AJones43865 on November 14, 2021 6:56PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play everyday for at least 2-3 hours. There are 1-2 full raid groups running in my guild at that time, so 12-24 players. Everyone, everyday, almost without fail, has one crash to desktop. It is worse for some than for others. I do not know why.
    So maybe it's primarily a PvP thing, but it absolutely, undeniably, is happening, every day we run. Most people in PvP zone chat say it's the norm for them.

As for the server issues, I've been playing since shortly after beta. I've seen and read most of what has been posted about server issues over the years. We've seen what used to happen for better performance during MYM events. We've seen how they can fix the majority of the performance issues in cyrodiil, but they don't. Instead they try everything except leasing more/better servers. This is also common knowledge.

I'm just pointing out realities. Sure, some don't like these realities, but that doesn't change reality.
    Shazanti wrote: »

You've answered the main point I was raising yourself. Yes, I wholly accept that raiders and Cyrodiilians crash regularly, I never contest that. What I do contest is that this equates to most players. It doesn't.

As for the servers, it does seem from forum reports that Cyrodiil performance tends to improve during some MYM events, although not always in those events, and as ZOS have made other coding etc changes to the game to address these issues as they see them some players have reported improvements. So while I accept that there is an argument to be made that it's down to server-side issues I'm not convinced that it's common knowledge that as a factual point it's down to a shortage of servers or the use of sub-standard servers. I suspect it's a lot more complex than that, and that if it was simply a case of leasing more or better servers then ZOS would have done so by now instead of driving some players away from the game because of the performance issues while driving some other players away because of the game changes they introduced at least in part to address those performance issues.
    Edited by Tandor on November 14, 2021 6:48PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last MYM event was the first time performance in cyrodiil did not improve with increased event populations. Presumably the reasoning is it's an obvious tell to the consumer that something could be done, but for some reason it's not being done.

Agreed, and it coincides with the conversion to Microsoft servers and the switch from Akamai DDoS filtering to Microsoft Azure.

• Joseph_Knecht
    I've hit a spate of these in the last couple of weeks. Crash to desktop from game. Happens randomly.
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭
    SOLUTION

I kept crashing a few times a day. In cyro, in vet no death runs etc.
    Since I started launching eso in compatibility mode 2 days ago I had 0 crashes whatsoever.
  • jasonhunter
    jasonhunter
    ✭✭✭
    Still crashing. I really hope the devs will look into this. It didnt happen before the latest patch.