The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Moon Acolyte nerf

• xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to zos math, if 5% cost increase is worth 101 damage, then looking at breton's cost reduction, the damage boosts that elf and orc get should be reduced down to about 160 (or the cost reduction for breton and probably some other non damage racials from other races need boosted).
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still dont understand how reducing weapon power resolves the cost penalty being made irrelevant in some large group activities.
    __
    Edited by wild_kmacdb16_ESO on July 22, 2020 5:47AM
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like a few people have said this change is obviously because they simply needed an excuse to nerf a set that was still appealing but from a slightly older bit of content. They need to encourage us to to buy their new ‘fun’ content therefore the older sets have to be nefed

They could’ve chosen any excuse at random but ultimately it boils down to a sales tactic, they do something similar every time there is a new content release. Adding powerful new sets and then reducing them once the next set of content comes out. This is nothing unusual and it’s one of the reasons I stick to old sets where I can, I just can’t be bothered any more with their marketing departments gear merry-go-round

It’s almost offensive that that was the excuse they chose given the number of solo players, PVP and PVE that use this set. It also shows absolutely no regard for people who like more unusual play styles such as hybrids
    Edited by Integral1900 on July 22, 2020 5:37AM
  • mzprx
    mzprx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still dont understand how reducing weapon power resolves the cost penalty being made irrelevant in some large group activities.
    __
    it does not, but you can't have a crafted set that is better than those shiny new (or old) DLC dungeon sets that you have to buy or be ESO+ to enter. who would spend real money for those when you can have a better alternative for free? i've mentioned it before, it's just a cash grab, nothing more. how long has NMA been in the game? and NOW it's "too strong"? nah. they need to sell the new DLCs..
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like a few people have said this change is obviously because they simply needed an excuse to nerf a set that was still appealing but from a slightly older bit of content. They need to encourage us to to buy their new ‘fun’ content therefore the older sets have to be nefed

They could’ve chosen any excuse at random but ultimately it boils down to a sales tactic, they do something similar every time there is a new content release. Adding powerful new sets and then reducing them once the next set of content comes out. This is nothing unusual and it’s one of the reasons I stick to old sets where I can, I just can’t be bothered any more with their marketing departments gear merry-go-round

It’s almost offensive that that was the excuse they chose given the number of solo players, PVP and PVE that use this set. It also shows absolutely no regard for people who like more unusual play styles such as hybrids

If this were true they wouldn’t have buffed so many old sets. Medusa’s for example.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »

If this were true they wouldn’t have buffed so many old sets. Medusa’s for example.

Because that set dates back to one Tamriel, comes from the base game and does not therefore compete with current dlc. The pattern has been established for years now. New sets are either at the top end of the power ranger or blatantly overpowered and they then get quietly chopped down as time goes past. If you want anything stable in this game you’re going to have to stick to base game sets in one way shape or form simply because they’re the least likely to find themselves under the hammer. Sometimes these things will get nerfed to get people to do the old dungeons in much the same way that they have to put overpowered items in the new dungeons to get more people to run them.

After all you need to put plenty of rewards to get people to put up with all the god-awful tedious, glitch fest mechanics they keeps stuffing into the new ones

Also, there are sets lurking in the new dungeons that make even the modified medusa look about as scary as a week old radish ☹️
    Edited by Integral1900 on July 22, 2020 10:40AM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, it's simply a case of:

Lots of people have used it for awhile -> time to nerf it to shift the meta and force people to acquire new gear
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    On the plus side you probably will not suffer much in PvP, a lot of other sets people rely on are being nerfed as well, this is at least one of the smaller nerfs, 80 less power is not really much of a decrease.
  • Lortie
    Lortie
    ✭✭✭
    On the plus side you probably will not suffer much in PvP, a lot of other sets people rely on are being nerfed as well, this is at least one of the smaller nerfs, 80 less power is not really much of a decrease.

80 weapons damage might not seem like much if your looking at everything that goes into making a character, but reducing the total damage of this set while retaining the cost increase makes NMA just plain and simply not worth it when you compare it to other similar performing sets with no all-cost increase.
    Edited by Lortie on July 23, 2020 5:09AM
    Lortie - StamSorc
    Velsei - StamCro
    Sidyl - StamDK
    https://imgur.com/a/5kexQVk - ESO at it's finest.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set was perfectly balanced, now there is no reason to wear it, because Julianos is better.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proc set meta incoming next patch... So very soon there will come a time that people will miss stat-buffing sets being used...

80 is more something like 90 - 110 if you take into account various passives (such as Medium Armor's "Agility" that boosts your Weapon Damage by 15%).
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on July 23, 2020 7:29AM
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As others have said, it's simply a case of:

Lots of people have used it for awhile -> time to nerf it to shift the meta and force people to acquire new gear

Well clearly that’s BS, the item set meta for PvE mag changes slower than a glacier.
  • BrightflameMDV
    A complete disregard to solo players and PvPers, ruined a perfectly well balanced set for no reason what so ever. We don't buy this reasoning ZOS, BS excuse and you know it.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they would not destroy any reason to have crafters, as they seem to be doing here. 80 doesn't like a huge loss, but you can bet this is only the beginning. I can accept that drops will always be more powerful than crafted sets, so that people will farm them, but please don't make crafted sets useless.

It's a huge loss to my hybrid since I only have 2549 spell damage and 2634 weapon damage. People say I'm being over-dramatic when I say that this will kill my build.
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A complete disregard to solo players and PvPers, ruined a perfectly well balanced set for no reason what so ever. We don't buy this reasoning ZOS, BS excuse and you know it.

So true, it seems that ZOS want to kill every "good" sets at every update. This set was good when you were building around it, like every set with malus. You can't say that you nerf a set because you can negate it. #RIPnma
    Edited by Fhritz on July 25, 2020 12:55PM
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
  • kylermacdb16_ESO
    kylermacdb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It’s interesting to me because the Molag Kena monster set was buffed in patch 6.0, and that set works the same as the 5 pc NMA set ... which is now nerfed
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You need to proc Molag Kena first, NMA is always there.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SORjosh wrote: »
    If there are any other sets that people want nerfed just let me know. Without fail, every time i gold a set of jewelry out ZOS pulls out the nerf hammer and crushes my efforts.

In my entire ESO experience (I have played mostly PC NA with forays into PC EU since about a month after launch) I have literally golded ONE bit of jewelry.

Don't have enough trust in ZoS to think that anything much will stay useful for long. And maybe that's just how MMO's roll, but I will say running with purple in general has saved me a lot of frustration.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    SORjosh wrote: »
    If there are any other sets that people want nerfed just let me know. Without fail, every time i gold a set of jewelry out ZOS pulls out the nerf hammer and crushes my efforts.

In my entire ESO experience (I have played mostly PC NA with forays into PC EU since about a month after launch) I have literally golded ONE bit of jewelry.

Don't have enough trust in ZoS to think that anything much will stay useful for long. And maybe that's just how MMO's roll, but I will say running with purple in general has saved me a lot of frustration.

If you just think that any build you make has a maximum use time of 3 months you’ll be happier. If it lasts longer then that’s just a positive.
  • Spizzie
    Spizzie
    ✭✭✭
    Battlefield Acrobat and Alteration Mastery both have a 6% reduction to ability cost as their 5 piece bonus.

New Moon has 182 more damage than Julianos/Hundings, but a 5% increase to ability cost (83% of Alteration 5 piece).

So even before the nerf, they are stating that an extra 182 Weapon damage is worth 83% of a 5 piece bonus. That doesn't add up on its own. Now they're saying it's only 102 extra damage and you should incur a penalty that is strong enough to negate 83% of a standard 5 piece bonus.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think the more important thing is that the existence of NMA creates a "value" between spell/wpn damage and cost reduction/rss management.

Where it was at 5%/480 creates a value that is somewhat equal to the bonus a High Elf/Orc gets in damage vs. rss management classes like Breton at 8% cost reduction. (Looking at the damage over Juli/Hundings 480-300/5 roughly, it won't be exact because 2/3/4 pc bonuses are a minor factor, but not as big a deal as anyone that wants to use them for a point thinks they are). The other factor to remember is rss management is much more fluid, base damage has always been strong, but rss bonuses like reduction and regen deepend

By lowering the damage of NMA, zos admits they are wrong about racials and much of the feedback telling them races like Altmer and Orc were too strong at 275 bonus was correct. (the math would put their bonus more at like 160 according to NMA or raise the bonuses for regen races by quite a bit).

Sure, the math isn't always going to be a 1:1 on something like this, but it does give us a fairly close baseline in how they view bonus damage vs. resource management and frankly, if they think NMA is currently balanced on PTS, then their racials are not.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • sabresandiego_ESO
    sabresandiego_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    I still think the more important thing is that the existence of NMA creates a "value" between spell/wpn damage and cost reduction/rss management.

Where it was at 5%/480 creates a value that is somewhat equal to the bonus a High Elf/Orc gets in damage vs. rss management classes like Breton at 8% cost reduction. (Looking at the damage over Juli/Hundings 480-300/5 roughly, it won't be exact because 2/3/4 pc bonuses are a minor factor, but not as big a deal as anyone that wants to use them for a point thinks they are). The other factor to remember is rss management is much more fluid, base damage has always been strong, but rss bonuses like reduction and regen deepend

By lowering the damage of NMA, zos admits they are wrong about racials and much of the feedback telling them races like Altmer and Orc were too strong at 275 bonus was correct. (the math would put their bonus more at like 160 according to NMA or raise the bonuses for regen races by quite a bit).

Sure, the math isn't always going to be a 1:1 on something like this, but it does give us a fairly close baseline in how they view bonus damage vs. resource management and frankly, if they think NMA is currently balanced on PTS, then their racials are not.

You’re not taking into consideration that you can single bar NMA. That’s a huge oversight on your analysis and one of the main reasons this set is stronger than face value and so over used.

Edited by sabresandiego_ESO on July 27, 2020 1:05AM
    Ali Dreadsabre -Necromancer
    Ali Sabre -Nightblade
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »

You’re not taking into consideration that you can single bar NMA. That’s a huge oversight on your analysis and one of the main reasons this set is stronger than face value and so over used.

Conversely, he is also excluding the fact that NMA increases all costs, including ult, dodge, block, and offstat/health costing abilities, whereas the racial cost reduction is only for the primary stat. So sure, it is not a 1:1 comparison and there are other factors at play like you have raised, but these can go both ways and be more or less relevant depending on the build.
    For this reason doing such a direct mathematical comparison of the values is still relevant and interesting when trying to assess the relative baseline power of the set/ability.
  • pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this was nerfed on the basis that the etra cost was alleviated and did not make a difference on the set, why not just remove the 5% bonus. After all, it is being absorbed anyway, and this would at least help the solo player stomach the nerf a tad.
  • precambria
    precambria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was making too many other sets obsolete and it was overtuned, every single good player said it was going to get nerfed from the time it was available and now it's happening to the surprise of nobody with eyes in their head.
  • SRASinister
    SRASinister
    ✭✭✭
    Still think they should have buffed other supposed damage sets up instead of nerfing it. There are still way too many tanky players that can hit hard. Fights are just going to last longer and longer now
    Xbox One NA: Sins of Daemons
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azurya wrote: »
    New Moon Acolyte: Reduced the Weapon and Spell Damage granted from this set’s 5 piece bonus to 401, down from 481. This was done to make up for the fact that the resource cost increase penalty can be easily alleviated in group settings by having allies supply you with sets or synergies.

and what if I am using it as soloplayer.................
    this is ridiculous, why??? WHY???

I'm actually surprised they don't make something like this dynamic meaning IF you are in a group (4 or greater) then the gear will automatically scale, if you are not in a group setting (solo) then no nerf, nothing changes. Seems more logical to me or maybe just a moot point idk. One thing we all know is this is a never ending cycle. Curious what the next great nerfing will be, wait, maybe not.

There is also a chance that they will just put things back or over buff existing nerfs with upcoming patches since the "dog chasing it's tail" conundrum is a pretty well known practice by devs in this game which far exceeds only the gear aspect. js.
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • ebix_
    ebix_
    ✭✭✭✭
    all these posts about new moon change , all the feedbacks and they didn't reverse it
    it's seems 80 weapon damage worth more to them than all of our feedbacks .
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ebix_ wrote: »
    all these posts about new moon change , all the feedbacks and they didn't reverse it
    it's seems 80 weapon damage worth more to them than all of our feedbacks .

I think what you mean is they know that 80 weapon damage isn't actually that big a deal and you won't even notice when it goes live.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think they are balancing the game based on a cp enabled setting. They wanted to kill the tank meta, which they had made strides in Greymoor.

They are reducing sets that provide a lot of weapon/spell damage directly to keep healing low imo. They are making access to sources of damage very accessible, without allowing players to easily double dip via weapon/spell damage. This patch will be really tough in no cp environments.

I would like them to be more honest about their intentions as the reason for this nerf seems like nonsense.

This. They're also buffing sets like Alessian and juggernaut etc.
    It's clear that they want people to use defensive sets if they want to be tanky.
    Unfortunately they don't understand that not all classes are the same, if they wanted to balance things out they could curb the healing potential on some classes like warden and necro.