Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Class Rep] Dragonknight Feedback Thread

• Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From today's patchnotes:

Stonefist: Updated this ability to improve its visual storytelling and per-cast impact; Stonefist is now a two-part ability instead of a singular instant mid-ranged attack.
    Activating this ability will now stomp the earth, causing you to deal damage in an area around you after a short cast time, and generating 3 charges of the ability.
    Activating the ability again allows you to lob one of the earthen spheres around you to an enemy from up to 28 meters away to damage them.
    The base ability no longer has the Stagger mechanic, but instead the final charge will stun the enemy hit upon dealing damage.
    Stone Giant (morph):
    This morph retains stagger in the form of causing the targets affected by the ranged attack to take additional damage.
    Increased the damage taken per stack to 65 at rank IV, up from 45.

So Stonefist can lob up to 28 meters away? Hopefully, that includes Obsidian Shard. Waiting on the PTS to finish downloading.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Conduit0
    Conduit0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So after years ZOS finally gives stam DKs a spammable only to take it away the very next patch. :(
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still very confused as to how this new mechanic works. My PTS is finished downloading... just waiting for the server to pop up.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To summarize - wings nerfed, leap nerfed, off-balance nerfed = dizzy nerfed :D
  • yeyesil
    yeyesil
    ✭✭

Leap nerfed? How?
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeyesil wrote: »

Leap nerfed? How?

They are saying there will be more notable que for target to block it. Well maybe that is good thing for the game overall, but given that DK was carried by leap... Ah, also they nerfed volatile armor too...
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked in PTS:

Obsidian Shard is 28 meters. Thanks for listening ZOS! I asked for these changes (to make Obsidian Fire damage) waaaaaay back in this thread from May 2018:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/410893/dk-healer-please-change-obsidian-shard-to-fire-damage

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    From today's patchnotes:

Stonefist: Updated this ability to improve its visual storytelling and per-cast impact; Stonefist is now a two-part ability instead of a singular instant mid-ranged attack.
    Activating this ability will now stomp the earth, causing you to deal damage in an area around you after a short cast time, and generating 3 charges of the ability.
    Activating the ability again allows you to lob one of the earthen spheres around you to an enemy from up to 28 meters away to damage them.
    The base ability no longer has the Stagger mechanic, but instead the final charge will stun the enemy hit upon dealing damage.
    Stone Giant (morph):
    This morph retains stagger in the form of causing the targets affected by the ranged attack to take additional damage.

So Stonefist can lob up to 28 meters away? Hopefully, that includes Obsidian Shard. Waiting on the PTS to finish downloading.

I need to try it out but seems like an improvement to me.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rip Flame Lash. Rip Volatile Armor.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From today's patchnotes:

Stone Giant (morph):

I need to try it out but seems like an improvement to me.

@Ragnarock41
    Lemme know how Stone Fist goes. Can you lob one rock, stomp again, and then lob another rock? Obsidian Shard doesn't look like it got too much of a change other than extra distance.

EDIT: I just tested the new Stone Fist out. It's a very cool animation with an interesting concept! Hell, it was hitting hard for me on my mDK (over 6,000 physical damage). It was expensive for me to use... but only because I was on my MagDK. I'm sure an actual stam-based toon could give you a better idea of the damage.

Bravo to the game designer who came up with that animation. Very interesting!
    Edited by Savos_Saren on January 21, 2020 2:14AM

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Sayaka
    Sayaka
    Is this Thread still postable?
    If so, my one pain point is:

The biggest problem for me: Obsidian Shield.
    This ability holds back literally every single DK build of mine. I think the damage shields should scale off of your maximum resource instead of just health. It is very discouraging for anyone else than tank builds to use this when any form of build can easily benefit from this ability. Especially as a shield ability, this change can bring other ways of supporting survivability other than healing or increasing resistance.

(I really want a shielding build (focused on shielding allies not just yourself) but you can only do it with tanks because there arent any shielding abilities that scale off Magicka other than Steadfast Ward or Stamina which literally has no shielding abilities.)
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question. Which of you here saying the mDK needs rework was here since beta or at least before patch 1.5?

Because if you are not u you oh really have no idea what this class has been through since the beginning. And the sheer fact that some of your replies to other commenters who think the class is fine, you tell them “you must suck then”.

The class is built around standing it’s ground and fire damage. That means high resists, tanky, able to burst heal and deal DoT fire damage.
    Well they have succeeded in doing it.

You on the other hand want things Th at have no business with the class.

If anyone here is PC NA and thinks the class is broken needs rework I will dual you and let’s find out. Because frankly. I believe ZOS has done a tremendous job bringing them back to life.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sayaka wrote: »
    Is this Thread still postable?
    If so, my one pain point is:

The biggest problem for me: Obsidian Shield.
    This ability holds back literally every single DK build of mine. I think the damage shields should scale off of your maximum resource instead of just health. It is very discouraging for anyone else than tank builds to use this when any form of build can easily benefit from this ability. Especially as a shield ability, this change can bring other ways of supporting survivability other than healing or increasing resistance.

(I really want a shielding build (focused on shielding allies not just yourself) but you can only do it with tanks because there arent any shielding abilities that scale off Magicka other than Steadfast Ward or Stamina which literally has no shielding abilities.)

In a galaxy far far and away there was a time when Obsidian Shield was exceeding strong. In fact, when MOL came out and vet hm took months before anyone could clear it the only way it was done was with Obsidian Shield. Basically, a DK could give all of it members a 10-12k shield every couple of seconds. Justifiably so it was nerfed.

Changes since that time are it now has picked up the DK tank resistance whereas it used to pick up only the wearer resistance. So, it has been buffed up some since nerfed. The problem is if 2 Dk’s are in the group one overrides the other. Most people that even use the skill now just use it for the major mending passive that it provides and not really the shield so much. 6 seconds of major mending is powerful.
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cast-Time on Stone Fist absolutely needs to go.
    Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.
  • JasonWangTaiwan

And make it a melee spam skill if there will be no stam whip, stam dk really lack of spamable options,
    cast time is conflicting "fluid" combat in practical gameplay since latency still exist in reality and is already hard to pull off decent dps with latency when its difficulty to do stable skill rotation.
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And make it a melee spam skill if there will be no stam whip, stam dk really lack of spamable options,
    cast time is conflicting "fluid" combat in practical gameplay since latency still exist in reality and is already hard to pull off decent dps with latency when its difficulty to do stable skill rotation.

I mean mdks are using forcepulse now in pve so there might be a whip morph open now... SOo......
    20200409-113449.png
    Edited by Onefrkncrzypope on April 9, 2020 4:42PM
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I had to dig to find this chat, but I thought I could post my pain points to see if anyone is listening, or if anyone has input. I have 2
    with the DK in this current cycle.

1. The dk is currently is the only class in eso that lacks any meaningful damage passives outside of a single class dot buff in ardent flame, it is also one of the few class without any execute.
    2. The DK is the only class without passive sustain buffs. All sustain is conditioned on ultimate usage,random status effect procs, abilities that are themselves costly.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this threat shoes up in recent again, i have a question.

How can it be, that while Stonegiant and Fragmented Shield share the same casting animation (stomping on the ground, errupting orbiting scatters), for Frag Shield you can block right after the activation, where as Stone Giant gets canceled completely when blocking too early?

As a tank this is extremely anoying.
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »
    Since this threat shoes up in recent again, i have a question.

How can it be, that while Stonegiant and Fragmented Shield share the same casting animation (stomping on the ground, errupting orbiting scatters), for Frag Shield you can block right after the activation, where as Stone Giant gets canceled completely when blocking too early?

As a tank this is extremely anoying.

I had to Google this thing to find it lol. All other rep pages are recent in the queue. I'd be here all day if I listed all my issues with stone fist.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdks are generally too weak in PvP. Just see how rarely they appear on death recaps.

ZOS, I guess you have the official statistics and can know easily in an objective way how Magdks are performing in PvP.

The Magdk have all rounded weak spots in PvP. The combined effect makes the class not so favourite by most PvPers:

1. Lack of range

3. Lack of burst

5. No execution at all

6. It's a DoT class and most DoTs can be cleansed easily.

7. Their DoTs are too slow in PvP. Say 8,000 damage in 10 seconds means nothing compared with one burst of 6,000. By the way the class is DoT focusing but the universal DoT damage buff is given to necromancers.

8. Slow movement. As a melee class, being slow is a huge disadvantage.

9. Most Popular PvP builds are always something with elf bane with grothdarr... Because they have no enough good skills for a larger variety of builds.

10. Nerfs nerfs nerfs: wings, spikes, leap, stun, wide range skill cost increment, universal DoT nerf, etc.

I guess when developers nerd the class ( especially the Magicka side), they didn't consider the impacts on PvP...

ZOS, before further nerfing Magdks in PvP, please look at your offical statics.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • Conduit0
    Conduit0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdks are generally too weak in PvP. Just see how rarely they appear on death recaps.

ZOS, I guess you have the official statistics and can know easily in an objective way how Magdks are performing in PvP.

The Magdk have all rounded weak spots in PvP. The combined effect makes the class not so favourite by most PvPers:

1. Lack of range

3. Lack of burst

5. No execution at all

6. It's a DoT class and most DoTs can be cleansed easily.

7. Their DoTs are too slow in PvP. Say 8,000 damage in 10 seconds means nothing compared with one burst of 6,000. By the way the class is DoT focusing but the universal DoT damage buff is given to necromancers.

8. Slow movement. As a melee class, being slow is a huge disadvantage.

9. Most Popular PvP builds are always something with elf bane with grothdarr... Because they have no enough good skills for a larger variety of builds.

10. Nerfs nerfs nerfs: wings, spikes, leap, stun, wide range skill cost increment, universal DoT nerf, etc.

I guess when developers nerd the class ( especially the Magicka side), they didn't consider the impacts on PvP...

ZOS, before further nerfing Magdks in PvP, please look at your offical statics.

Don't feel too bad, ZoS is ignoring PvE as well. DK's stam and mag alike have been struggling with subpar dps since the universal dot nerf.
  • Eweejy
    Eweejy
    I have a Stam DK which used to be my primary... switched my primary to a necro instead because of the follow reasons;

1. PRIMARY REASON: Healing ability is awful compared to other classes (both in PVE and PVP)
    2. Didn't feel competitive against the ranged Magika classes in PVP.
    3. Felt the AoE abilities weren't up to par with other classes.
    4. Overall kindof boring skills in general.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sustain on Magicka Dragonknight is still pretty awful. I even have a Breton with False Gods and it is just not as good as any other class. Damage-wise I feel like they would be in a good place if it was just possible to sustain the rotation better.

The buff to Major Intelligence/Endurance was nice, but it helps classes that have regen based passives disproportionately more than Dragonknights.

Playing since beta...
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I wanna say DK is still competitive, remember when I picked up stamplar and stam sorc, and me thinking "so this is what its like to play a class ZoS cares about".
  • CageKnight
    CageKnight
    ✭✭
    So I made a post pleading the case for a stamina whip but then I thought about it, and it would probably get more attention on the official DK thread, so here it is:

DK's only have 3 skills that actually cost stamina (Noxious Breath, Venomous Claw, Stone Giant) and 1 skill that costs magicka a PvE StamDK DPS might actually use (Flames of Oblivion).

Dragonknights are said to be inheritors of the Akaviri martial arts, and yet, that's the same amount of stamina skills as Sorcerers, a class whose name literally means "to have magic powers", not to mention that StamSorcs are currently the best Stamina DPS' out there.

I know that Molten Whip has its place in PvE, and Flame Lash has its place in PvP, but any PvE MagDK can see that the bonuses that the Molten Whip morph provide are a little counter-intuitive, I mean, all other Ardent Flame abilities that a MagDK would use are DoTs, yet Molten Whip encourages spamming them for the bonus? I say give Flame Lash a little more versatility for use in both PvE and PvP, and give Molten Whip to the StamDK's.
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagDK feels really week in everything except duels. Dots are cleansed easy, no execute and bad sustain.
    In PvE they are used as a buff class cause the damage is so bad.

I tried StamDK but my internet is not good enough for dizzy so in both cases I have to use proc sets. Using the same proc build on different classes makes the build stronger in all aspects.
    -> DK is in a bad place if you dont use dizzy swing

I think a magicka execute, a stam whip would go a long way.
    Maybe add a dot related passive, if dots are cleansed they deal a small amount of damage instantly, so if you dot up your enemy and they cleanse you have a burst window to follow up on
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't know what you all on about, but magdk is a living god when played properly
    no burst? u have the best ult in the game: huge shield, high damage, gap closer, knockup CC, cheap. And then you can whip with the 3x spd buff.
    best CC in the game, unaviodable stun that's followed by a root.
    health based heal with buffs attached to it.

[snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on February 23, 2021 1:53PM
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    i don't know what you all on about, but magdk is a living god when played properly
    no burst? u have the best ult in the game: huge shield, high damage, gap closer, knockup CC, cheap. And then you can whip with the 3x spd buff.
    best CC in the game, unaviodable stun that's followed by a root.
    health based heal with buffs attached to it.

[snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]

That's like saying vampire is good because Mistform and Swarming Scion exist on it. If you list only the strengths you fail to see the weaknesses. As a magDK your performance is severely limited the moment you try going off script, and that script is melee range, all flame damage, charged staff, and don't save your ultimates which are designed to be saved and used when you need them.

Also everything you listed is great in duels but Dragonknights are terrible in group PVP as they have only two abilities that really bring support to the fight and one is melee range and purgable while the other is an ultimate. (Talking about Talons and DK Standard)

Sure DKs have Fossilize and Leap but those abilities are beginning to become like Templar's Jabs at this point. They're beginning to feel like the only useful thing about the class as the rest of the kit struggles to perform in the current meta. Also doesn't help that most of our damage is locked behind purgable damage over time effects, which is fine in PVE but in PVP you're hard countered by three of the 6 classes if they decide to slot a single purge.
    Edited by Vevvev on February 23, 2021 3:32PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The change to Elfbane as a prebuff set negatively impacts magDKs using Elfbane all the time. The destruction ultimate shouldn't have a 2s delay so PC users cannot use their addons to switch sets to cheese an Elfbane boosted Destruction Staff Ultimate at the start of their fight anymore. The way it is now a DK that is using Elfbane is losing 5 seconds on the first skill they are using and out of combat all their tooltips are completely inaccurate which hurts the players without addons who can't check their uptimes.

If there are balance concerns in PvP about removing the delay, then why not make Destruction staff ultimate (or just the fire version) ramp up it's damage or something so there is time to react in PvP.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking from my experience as a PvE, stam DK main, the role is numerically behind all other DPS roles, including mag DK. Something need to be done to bring the class up to standard, whether that is improving passives, or adding an excute(which would help mag and stam).