Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    Anyone using reflective light over inner light any more. I just can't see the point when the dot is terrible. I'd rather have the max mag, small amount of recovery and crit at all times. Especially as half the time it gets dodged any way and I dont the crit buff.

I use Reflective light. The initial hit is direct dmg. Can hit 3 people. A good spamable with light attacks. The snare is good. Sometimes. And I believe the skill was changed where you get the crit on activation. So it doesn’t matter if it’s dodged. But only lasts 10 secs, so you need to remember to refresh the buff or use the other one for longer duration.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to use dark flare but cant find space and the cast time is horrible

Dark flare is good but very situational. If you’re already engaged with someone it’s not very good, but if someone isn’t facing you it’s great. Go to a practice dummy and try this combo from 15m away:

Light - dark flare - toppling - (crescent) sweeps

If you’re maybe 15m away what will happen is dark flare and toppling will land at the same time with maybe 1 sweeps and light will proc. It’s a good burst combo.

The other place it’s good is against warden groups or DK perma blockers in BGs. Warden groups are tough to take down without some defile, and those perma blocking DK’s rely on high health recovery/healing for their schtick. Just back up vs the DK, they're waiting for someone to not pay attention to their health before counter attacking with a leap and bursting someone down.

Just be careful using it, I've noticed as soon as a stamden or DK sees dark flare you have their full attention.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was doing some battlegrounds last night and randomly I decided to try a different setup, my Torug's Pact, Spinners, and Bloodspawn with Willpower resto build, and it worked pretty well. It was also much to my chagrin afterwards that I realized I was in 4-2-1 armor weights instead of 5-1-1 lol. Regardless, even if the opponents may have included some potatoes, I was pretty happy with the result:

rJAgipo.jpg

It's really more of a single target ranged damage build with some healing, so probably not a competitive BG build overall.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to use dark flare but cant find space and the cast time is horrible
    Anyone using reflective light over inner light any more. I just can't see the point when the dot is terrible. I'd rather have the max mag, small amount of recovery and crit at all times. Especially as half the time it gets dodged any way and I dont the crit buff.

Spell power pots will solve all your problems.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I was doing some battlegrounds last night and randomly I decided to try a different setup, my Torug's Pact, Spinners, and Bloodspawn with Willpower resto build, and it worked pretty well. It was also much to my chagrin afterwards that I realized I was in 4-2-1 armor weights instead of 5-1-1 lol. Regardless, even if the opponents may have included some potatoes, I was pretty happy with the result:

rJAgipo.jpg

It's really more of a single target ranged damage build with some healing, so probably not a competitive BG build overall.

Back bar resto is way better than S&B for BGs. Looks good, you’ll have to play more to see how it holds up.

P.S. - turn on @names!
    Edited by Iskiab on February 26, 2020 3:20PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I generally prefer resto back bar partially so I can do a channeled heavy if I need resources. I feel like it's a little more reliable than a flame staff heavy that could easily be dodged, plus it has some other good stuff b/c of passives.
    • PC/NA
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I generally prefer resto back bar partially so I can do a channeled heavy if I need resources. I feel like it's a little more reliable than a flame staff heavy that could easily be dodged, plus it has some other good stuff b/c of passives.

I agree, destro passives blow. Most of them only effect destro abilities, the only place it’s really good is PvE because you get resources when you kill something (best passive) so is great on trash. In comparison resto passives are great, especially for heavies: proc’s weapon damage enchant, more resources and major mending.

Only light attacks, heavy attacks, and weapon abilities proc enchants. I see people with a weapon damage enchant on S&B in their build designs but that’s fantasy. In reality you need a light, heavy, wall of elements or blade cloak to get even close to good uptime (last two abilities can proc on your front bar from a back bar ability).
    Edited by Iskiab on February 26, 2020 3:52PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the lag this patch, I switched up my setup to a mostly AOE toolkit. At least now I can kinda know I’m doing dmg in between the 5 sec delays...
    5/2 light StormKnight/overwhelming front/potato SnB back/BS...
    Edited by UppGRAYxDD on February 26, 2020 4:38PM
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

I agree, destro passives blow. Most of them only effect destro abilities, the only place it’s really good is PvE because you get resources when you kill something (best passive) so is great on trash. In comparison resto passives are great, especially for heavies: proc’s weapon damage enchant, more resources and major mending.

Only light attacks, heavy attacks, and weapon abilities proc enchants. I see people with a weapon damage enchant on S&B in their build designs but that’s fantasy. In reality you need a light, heavy, wall of elements or blade cloak to get even close to good uptime (last two abilities can proc on your front bar from a back bar ability).

Elemental force and ancient knowledge don't blow. Y resto heavy when you can just sustain and burst with elemental drain?

2 of restos passive that are worth anything revolve around casting a nearly 3 second channel. Both are also purely defensive and are likely only used due to low magicka and not to gain mending.

Restos good, but for templar id take block casting with snb and or ice staff any day.

Don't listen to me though, I've essentially quit. Just bored on my lunch break.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

Elemental force and ancient knowledge don't blow. Y resto heavy when you can just sustain and burst with elemental drain?

2 of restos passive that are worth anything revolve around casting a nearly 3 second channel. Both are also purely defensive and are likely only used due to low magicka and not to gain mending.

Restos good, but for templar id take block casting with snb and or ice staff any day.

I meant more comparatively. Ancient force is decent (the status effect one) but it’s moreso good in pve. Ancient knowledge is okay but it will only ever boost half your abilities, plus there’s diminishing returns on damage done modifiers.

That’s why 2H works so well, the sword bonus buffs all your attacks plus higher base spell damage > Ancient Force for pvp. I mean, at base it’s an about 300 sp difference, I’ve tried it but I like ranged light attacks.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 26, 2020 7:01PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

I meant more comparatively. Ancient force is decent (the status effect one) but it’s moreso good in pve. Ancient knowledge is okay but it will only ever boost half your abilities, plus there’s diminishing returns on damage done modifiers.

That’s why 2H works so well, the sword bonus buffs all your attacks plus higher base spell damage > Ancient Force for pvp. I mean, at base it’s an about 300 sp difference, I’ve tried it but I like ranged light attacks.

And ask the passives in resto are even more restrictive... they only impact healing and 2 are rooted to one move that most people only use when low on magicka. In both cases it doesn't make them bad.
  • Commandment
    Commandment
    ✭✭✭
    Real guide:

Press one button and you win.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Real guide:

Please tell me more. I too wish to bask in this enlightenment.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real guide:

If a magplar wins against you just by spamming jabs thats when you should realize lots of learning to play needs to be done on your part.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real guide:

He's right: nerf Sorc.
  • ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    As we've removed some posts, please remember that it’s okay to disagree and debate on the official ESO forums, but we do ask that you keep all disagreements civil, constructive, and on-topic.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's talk gear and builds for bit, share some ideas.
    Glass cannons, Balanced tanks, let's hear it - PVP
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me I like playing with a balanced pvp build that doesnt rely on healers bring around and I can jump into BG or open world without changing set ups
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me I like playing with a balanced pvp build that doesnt rely on healers bring around and I can jump into BG or open world without changing set ups

Bloodspawn BTB shackle 5/1/1 lady mundus disastrously bloody Mara lightning ice staff high elf
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2 Patches old build, havent tried anything with nma yet, valkyn, btb, Swift, light staff front, s&b back.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’m still running NMA and BTB with my main attack being sweeps but want to try a pure ranged spec. I’m finding burst is up and I’m feeling too squishy to brawl.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 29, 2020 12:36PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m still running NMA and BTB with my main attack being sweeps but want to try a pure ranged spec. I’m finding burst is up and I’m feeling too squishy to brawl.

Probs because jabs hits like wet noodle against any stam class at min..cough (brp duel weild)
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

During the dot patch I ran a vAS Inferno ranged build, dunno if it is good These days anymore tho.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

During the dot patch I ran a vAS Inferno ranged build, dunno if it is good These days anymore tho.

I don’t have the vAS inferno, only the normal. Think it’s strong enough?

I liked it a lot better when stam stuck to one build and had no gap closer. I kept seeing a med stamsorc who ran shuffle and and crit rush in BGs who seriously F’ed me up. Bad enough I want to wait and see how the stam meta settles so I can spec to take advantage of it.

I’d go for my burst combo and he/she’d break free and outburst me so badly I was left feeling my spec is garbage.

I was thinking with the MMR reset I’d rock people, instead there was so much build variety I did really poorly.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 29, 2020 2:33PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I liked it a lot better when stam stuck to one build and had no gap closer. I kept seeing a med stamsorc who ran shuffle and and crit rush in BGs who seriously F’ed me up. Bad enough I want to wait and see how the stam meta settles so I can spec to take advantage of it.

I’d go for my burst combo and he/she’d break free and outburst me so badly I was left feeling my spec is garbage.

I was thinking with the MMR reset I’d rock people, instead there was so much build variety I did really poorly.

Imo only a perfected AS Inferno is worth running. I never played with an Imperfect one tho so I cant tell you how much worse it is.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

Imo only a perfected AS Inferno is worth running. I never played with an Imperfect one tho so I cant tell you how much worse it is.

I've tried the imperfect version, and the requirement is too different from the perfected AS destro to be useful I feel.
    • PC/NA
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cleansing ritual thought.

What if Ritual of retribution morph would also cleanse a one negative effect every 6 seconds same for extended ritual. I know on a stamplar if can get expensive quick to purge effects and since the warden gets if free with the Betty Netch.

I don’t think this would be game breaking and a nice help in PVP after all the skill is called cleansing ritual it just makes since that it would continue to cleanse and not only when cast.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Probs because jabs hits like wet noodle against any stam class at min..cough (brp duel weild)

Yeah, this is what I came to ask about. I was wondering if anyone else had this feeling. Jabs always hit me hard but even with 3000 SD unbuffed I still feel like my puncturing sweeps are getting severely outmatched by stam melee.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switch between mag and stam often and I can tell you right now; having major evasion is a huge boon because most the nasty ultimates and combos are AOE. My magplar I really have to anticipate damage and block cast ER and HTD. I mean grant it, thats universal; but its really not any harder to have major evasion which really hurts templar damage and alternate block and roll dodge to avoid letting either tax your resources too much as stam to also counter single target
    Edited by technohic on March 1, 2020 6:48AM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I'm considering farming gossamer for that reason