The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.3 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

Magicka Sorcs Against Ball of Lightning-Updated

• Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    All DKs should support this topic with pitchforks in hand.

100% projectile immunity for 3s is rediculous.

It sure is.

Maybe this will be the new balancing Standard for Zos and wings will get 4 seconds reflect of infinite projectiles back :p
    (Who am I kidding, not gonna happen since the majority of the People that claimed wings were unfair will be completely fine with sorcs getting ranged immunity)
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
    Options
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

It sure is.

Maybe this will be the new balancing Standard for Zos and wings will get 4 seconds reflect of infinite projectiles back :p
    (Who am I kidding, not gonna happen since the majority of the People that claimed wings were unfair will be completely fine with sorcs getting ranged immunity)

I wish old Wings was still here. Reflects and immunities on projectiles are needed or game becomes just 1 button projectile spam game spiced up with Light Attacks. Projectile spam is what empowers zerglings and some tools to mitigate it is great while moving to tactical locations.

I know this iteration of BoL will be strong .. i so wish they had done all these big changes to class defining skills at the SAME TIME so all classed had their unique strong skills changes, like Templar did get their strong Bubble too early i feel, all should be done at same time so all would have their own strong defensive skill simultaneously. Because i have a feeling other classes will get their own "soonTM" too or maybe at next chapter.

People right now with "main class" that is not having anything new, unique, strong and fresh will be demanding nerfs to others while they will get their own cool skill later, then others who had their cool skill nerfed will ask that class cool skill nerfed too because "we already got nerfed so should class X too its OP".

If only ZOS was able to make all classes PVP related skill changes simultaneously to make all classes feel fresh and loved at the same time.

Edited by Moonsorrow on October 8, 2019 11:30AM
    Options
  • Betty_Booms
    Betty_Booms
    ✭✭✭
    I completely disagree with the comparison to dk wings. Ball lightening will be used defensively where as wings could be used while providing high pressure. No comparrison at all.
    Options
  • SipofMaim
    SipofMaim
    ✭✭✭✭

People who thought wings getting deleted and replaced by lolz was absolutely necessary and a reason for celebration are the ones who should support this topic with pitchfork in hand.

The fact that for the most part they won't is amusing, but not surprising.

Options
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galarthor wrote: »

Almost as ridiculous as reflecting them back with additional damage for 6 seconds :tongue:

On a more serious note:
    The 3 seconds are far too much. The orb should have a similar effectiveness as a dodge roll. Its purpose is to increase your odds of escaping by mitigating some damage, not to make you immune to ranged DPS 75% of the time.

Make the Orb last 1 to 1.5 seconds but also absorb gap closers. The enemy will still be able to chase the sorc as the orb is right next to where the sorc lands, but it will mitigate the damage and will be less discriminatory against ranged builds as it provides some degree of protection against both ranged and melee builds while escaping.

Should also be comparatively easy from a coding point of view. Just replace the current section of the orb with that of the dodge roll minus the stam cost and you are done.

Just two remarks:

The absorb only happens after you finish BoL, unlike dodge.

If you can't hit them with ranged attacks and can't follow them via Gap Closers, what do you suppose to do to catch them? Run after them?

You would still be able to follow them. You'd just hit that orb right next to the sorc with your gap closer. Sure the sorc could use 5 BoLs in a row and you would not deal any damage to him or her with your gap closers, but neither is the sorc dealing any damage to you while running. And in the end (after those 5 BoL) you will stand right next sorc who is completely out of magicka while you still got stam or magicka left b/c gap closers are far cheaper and can beat that OOM sorc into oblivion.

It's definitely a more balanced approach than the current PTS version which blocks all projectiles for 3 seconds. With a fatigue of 4 second that means you can keep yourself immune to projectiles 75% of the fight without any cost increase!
    Options
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost as ridiculous as reflecting them back with additional damage for 6 seconds :tongue:

On a more serious note:
    The 3 seconds are far too much. The orb should have a similar effectiveness as a dodge roll. Its purpose is to increase your odds of escaping by mitigating some damage, not to make you immune to ranged DPS 75% of the time.

Make the Orb last 1 to 1.5 seconds but also absorb gap closers. The enemy will still be able to chase the sorc as the orb is right next to where the sorc lands, but it will mitigate the damage and will be less discriminatory against ranged builds as it provides some degree of protection against both ranged and melee builds while escaping.

Should also be comparatively easy from a coding point of view. Just replace the current section of the orb with that of the dodge roll minus the stam cost and you are done.

Just two remarks:

If you can't hit them with ranged attacks and can't follow them via Gap Closers, what do you suppose to do to catch them? Run after them?

You would still be able to follow them. You'd just hit that orb right next to the sorc with your gap closer. Sure the sorc could use 5 BoLs in a row and you would not deal any damage to him or her with your gap closers, but neither is the sorc dealing any damage to you while running. And in the end (after those 5 BoL) you will stand right next sorc who is completely out of magicka while you still got stam or magicka left b/c gap closers are far cheaper and can beat that OOM sorc into oblivion.

It's definitely a more balanced approach than the current PTS version which blocks all projectiles for 3 seconds. With a fatigue of 4 second that means you can keep yourself immune to projectiles 75% of the fight without any cost increase!

Where did you saw "cheap" gap closers last time? Critical rush is 3k+ stamina cost, and given that stamina pool is smaller, you will run out of stamina faster then sorc out of his necropotence pool. Then couple of stuns and you are as good as dead without stamina to break free and to apply pressure.

No way gap closer can be spammed without big consequences to sustain.
    Options
  • SoulKing32
    SoulKing32
    ✭✭
    wait...they nerfed wings because it would hard counter ranged builds and now they give sorcs 100% projectile immunity? I`ve lost all hope for this game.
    Playing since launch. EU - PC - EP
    Options
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Immunity against ranged skills would be fine IMO if ranged skills fired in melee range were able to bypass it.

Edited by Bergzorn on October 8, 2019 5:01PM
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
    Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SipofMaim wrote: »

People who thought wings getting deleted and replaced by lolz was absolutely necessary and a reason for celebration are the ones who should support this topic with pitchfork in hand.

The fact that for the most part they won't is amusing, but not surprising.

Well, you called for me? DK reflection with added damage was problematic for balancing. And I'm glad it got removed. Maybe current wings could be better, add something, but completely shutting down ranged builds was just stupid.
    In regards to BoL, I don't care. Sorcs depend on the Streak CC. Maybe a BoL sorc will troll a couple people here and there, but the moment a melee build comes along, it's over. That's the deciding difference from wings that didn't impair your build. And I suspect any competent sorc will stick with Streak.
    But yeah, go ahead, nerf it. I don't care. Even agree if it's a nerf to absorption time. But I won't waste my time enforcing a nerf to an irrelevant morph. More important stuff out there.
    That's my point of view, at least.
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

On a more serious note:

Just two remarks:

Where did you saw "cheap" gap closers last time? Critical rush is 3k+ stamina cost, and given that stamina pool is smaller, you will run out of stamina faster then sorc out of his necropotence pool. Then couple of stuns and you are as good as dead without stamina to break free and to apply pressure.

Base cost of Critical Charge is literally the same as Bolt Escape before the 15% cost reduction.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
    Options
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be ok with a 2 second orb IF it could be used reactively like Wings. The way it works now, the orb is usually worthless because it does nothing to impede an incoming attack, but it doesn't last enough to catch a follow-up attack.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
    Options
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be ok with a 2 second orb IF it could be used reactively like Wings. The way it works now, the orb is usually worthless because it does nothing to impede an incoming attack, but it doesn't last enough to catch a follow-up attack.

Current live orb is still great. You'd be surprised how many dmg it actually absorbs.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
    Options
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    Magsorc main here. The current PTS version of BoL is clearly and severely overloaded.

The mag projectile absorb has always been an extremely unhealthy mechanic with its potential to completely shutdown certain builds, not unlike the old wings.

Conversely, snare immunity is a useful and healthy addition to the skill, which the class toolkit could certainly use... but the total power of the skill is now way over budget.

Leave the snare immunity, but reduce the projectile absorb to 0.5s. It's now still a good tool to nullify ranged burst, but you have to be diligent with timing.

I wouldn't even argue with the absorb being removed entirely.
    0.5 seconds makes no sense because it doesn't work retroactively, unlike wings. That's not even enough to justify casting the skill just for the orb.

Well that's the point. It shouldn't justify the cost just for the orb cause that would be insane. You would have the power to shut down ranged builds on the most mobile class which has a powerful ranged offensive toolkit. That's dumb.

The skill is supposed to be used for escaping. In that scenario a 0.5 - 1s absorb is enough to nullify ranged dmg coming at you while you are using the skill making you escape easier.
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »
    Magsorc main here. The current PTS version of BoL is clearly and severely overloaded.

The mag projectile absorb has always been an extremely unhealthy mechanic with its potential to completely shutdown certain builds, not unlike the old wings.

Conversely, snare immunity is a useful and healthy addition to the skill, which the class toolkit could certainly use... but the total power of the skill is now way over budget.

Leave the snare immunity, but reduce the projectile absorb to 0.5s. It's now still a good tool to nullify ranged burst, but you have to be diligent with timing.

0.5 seconds makes no sense because it doesn't work retroactively, unlike wings. That's not even enough to justify casting the skill just for the orb.

Well that's the point. It shouldn't justify the cost just for the orb cause that would be insane. You would have the power to shut down ranged builds on the most mobile class which has a powerful ranged offensive toolkit. That's dumb.

The skill is supposed to be used for escaping. In that scenario a 0.5 - 1s absorb is enough to nullify ranged dmg coming at you while you are using the skill making you escape easier.

They should make it evade during the streak and then absorb for 1s after - to allow for reactive use + give a slight breathing room after.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should get rid of the range absorption and stun. Then extend the range of BoL to 28 meters. That way it can actually be used to escape and not offensively.
    Options
  • Villaine
    Villaine
    ✭✭✭
    I completely disagree with the comparison to dk wings. Ball lightening will be used defensively where as wings could be used while providing high pressure. No comparrison at all.

DK's don't care. It is all about revenge at this point. Some players won't be happy until Sorc is completely removed from the game.

Give Sorc their 3rd bar back and give them something to truly whine about.
    Edited by Villaine on October 9, 2019 12:26PM
    Options
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5.2.3 removed the stun component of ball lightning.

Now it's really a decision between an offensive and defensive morph. Given that sorcs don't have a good CC, I think a lot of people will still use streak.

Ball lightning with snare and projectile immunity is still very good though. Gonna be a tough call.
    Edited by HowlKimchi on October 9, 2019 12:27PM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
    Options
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been asking for a snare purge on Ball for years, I'm super excited for it. Losing the stun is totally fair and a welcome trade-off.
    Options
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pelican wrote: »
    Honestly I just want to have a reliable CC. Streak requires you to turn back after streaking to burst which causes your follow up light attack to miss almost all the time, rune cage takes too long, flame reach got dumpstered, vamp drain is awkward to burst with.

Same here. Using streak to land a follow up attack against fast players was very hard.
    But this statement leads me to believe there will be a bit of a delay on Streak stun if you pass trough your target.
    "Streak (morph): This morph now continues to stun enemies at your end location, in addition to stunning enemies behind you after ending. Note that the damage still only applies to enemies you pass through. "
    Which just might be enough time to actually land a follow up.
    Did someone test it?!?
    Options
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    I've been asking for a snare purge on Ball for years, I'm super excited for it. Losing the stun is totally fair and a welcome trade-off.

Haha, I believe you. Mag Sorcs should be aware that the most likely “victims” of the new BoL are going to be Mag Sorcs themselves... when they are fighting slippery Stam Sorcs! Stam Sorcs who wisely invest in sufficient Magicka regen are going to be able to reset the fight at will against Mag Sorcs. On the bright side, Mag Sorcs will have a tool to counter annoying Snipe spammers.

I don’t have a problem with any of this. I think all Sorcs will benefit more than they suffer from having an improved BoL.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
    Options
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    simple fix, give a 25% ranged dmg mitigation regardless off if you stay by your ball for 4s and remove the 100% mit
    keep the other buffs this patch
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
    Options
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    simple fix, give a 25% ranged dmg mitigation regardless off if you stay by your ball for 4s and remove the 100% mit

I personally can live with your suggestion. However personally speaking. I'd rather the stun and ranged absorption removed, and move you 28 meters. That way you can use this ability for it's defensive intended purpose.

Outside of that streak is still going to be better, defensive and offensive than BoL. Because any gap closer will hard counter BoL where streak you can stun them and gain some distance.
    Edited by FearlessOne_2014 on October 9, 2019 1:52PM
    Options
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I personally can live with your suggestion. However personally speaking. I'd rather the stun and ranged absorption removed, and move you 28 meters. That way you can use this ability for it's defensive intended purpose.

maybe make it so that if ppl run into the ball they get stunned i doubt they are gnna reconsider distances now but that would allow counterplay whilst still punishing gapclose spam
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
    Options
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On a more serious note:

Just two remarks:

Cost for Streak and Gap Closers is roughly the same. But the cost for streak increases by 33% after each use within 4 seconds.

1) Cost increase from Fatigue is roughly 1200 each time (At 5 pieces Light Armor, a Cost Reduction glyph, and 6% Cost reduction from Sorc passive). That means over the corse of 5 consecutive Streaks the sorc spends 12000 magicka more than the gap closer-spammer spends stamina to counter it.

2) The fact that stam builds can stack the far more potent weapon damage and don't have to waste stats to increase the potency of their defensive abilities and as such can afford smaller resource pools is hardly a viable agruement for why stam build gap closers should be better than mag build gap openers - i.e. why gap closers should deal damage, while the gap opener offers no equvalent benefits.
    Edited by Galarthor on October 9, 2019 2:27PM
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

On a more serious note:

Just two remarks:

Cost for Streak and Gap Closers is roughly the same. But the cost for streak increases by 33% after each use within 4 seconds.

1) Cost increase from Fatigue is roughly 1200 each time (At 5 pieces Light Armor, a Cost Reduction glyph, and 6% Cost reduction from Sorc passive). That means over the corse of 5 consecutive Streaks the sorc spends 12000 magicka more than the gap closer-spammer spends stamina to counter it.

2) The fact that stam builds can stack the far more potent weapon damage and don't have to waste stats to increase the potency of their defensive abilities and as such can afford smaller resource pools is hardly a viable agruement for why stam build gap closers should be better than mag build gap openers - i.e. why gap closers should deal damage, while the gap opener offers no equvalent benefits.
    Unless it was changed recently, scaling cost reduction like those passives doesn't effect the stacking cost. Agree otherwise though.

Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »

Streak is used defensively and to escape. I do think BoL should be worth it to be cast defensively without running away.
    They should get rid of the range absorption and stun. Then extend the range of BoL to 28 meters. That way it can actually be used to escape and not offensively.

Even if this were somehow balanced, it would require serious terrain changes.

Currently it is a sometimes very potent group support tool, and will be even more so when it can absorb stamina skills. It's also one of few ways to work together cross faction when the situation calls for it. I wouldn't want to lose that, personally.

Options
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On a more serious note:

Just two remarks:

Yes. But initial statement was that "gap closers are far cheaper and can be spammed". No, they are not cheap and in practice they can't be spammed. Try "spamming" it and you will find yourself without stamina very fast. Don't forget that break free and vigor and rally and all abilities are from the same pool.. and nothing prevents sorc to stun player which uses gap closer. This will allow to reset escalating cost. If you were withdrawing in Cyro and then some new fresh player arrived, yeah he can spam gap closer for a while..
    but if it was same player who you were fighting in 1v1.. no way he'll have enough stamina to outspam streak spam. And yeah there is such thing as terrain and LOS. You may streak behind LOS and gap closer won't help at all. You may stun and use streak 2 times and you will be out of range of gap closer...

So only stamDK with "superior" gap closer in form of take flight have some chances, maybe templars with toppling charge too... other classes and specs... no chance.
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on October 9, 2019 3:29PM
    Options
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about taking away complete range immunity, and replace it with %50 damage reduction to all projectiles? Sounds fair?

While ball of lightning does negate projectile dmg like old wings is has many drawbacks. 1- person have to stay very close to the ball for it to work, thus giving oppurtunity for people to catch upor get closer to caster unlike old wing where you can be monbile and negate range attacks. 2- only last for 2 secs. 3- only negate incoming dmg, old wings was reflecting dmg back. 4- penaly when used of 4 secs window where as wing did not have any.
    Options
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's very bad idea to add snare immunity to skill which already a great Mobility + Stun thing + some damage.
    Even with nerfed aoe cc effect.

Main reason, it's a skill which almost every sorc use anyway.
    (with Streak nerfed this morf also become more profitablwe so...)
    You don't need anything to sacrifice to get this immunity.
    Just cc attacker, do a distance, small damage and than kite or do damage on him.
    You, range one with one of the greatest pvp burst and pre-execute in game.

Same issue - Race in Time design.
    I asked Zos to not do that but they done it anyway - skill which gives major Expedition and snare immunity at the same time - it's total incompetence.
    But, at least u need to have slot for it and immunity is only for 2 seconds (when they were bombarded with our asks to nerf it at that PTS). Race in TIme is still bad designed. We should not have both these effects from 1 skill.

Ball of Lightning is next thing to make Open World PvP great for magsorcs and a garbage for their opponents.
    And as a result for gameplay in general.
    Even if someone addicted for it's absorbing damage component.
    But, current Streak is way more strong imho, unblockable, undoidgeable aoe... BoL weaker option

My thoughts - ball of lightning should provide at Maximum snares/roots cleance, not immunity.
    Or, that immunity should come from another skill, like for example Shattering Prison, which is never usable. or Bound Armaments/Aegis which are slotted just for passives at the bar...do we love such skills?

@ZOS_BrianWheeler guys, how u can to not see that? it's same as to give snare immunity for example to nightblade's Shadow image, or templar's Extended ritual, or Warden's Shimmering shield, or in the worst for the game case - to nightblade's Shadowy Disguise... very big mistake.
    Edited by JusticeSouldier on October 9, 2019 3:45PM
    all classes. pc platform, dissapointed.
    Options
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very bad idea to add snare immunity to skill which already a great Mobility + Stun thing + some damage.
    Even with nerfed aoe cc effect.

Main reason, it's a skill which almost every sorc use anyway.
    (with Streak nerfed this morf also become more profitablwe so...)
    You don't need anything to sacrifice to get this immunity.
    Just cc attacker, do a distance, small damage and than kite or do damage on him.
    You, range one with one of the greatest pvp burst and pre-execute in game.

Same issue - Race in Time design.
    I asked Zos to not do that but they done it anyway - skill which gives major Expedition and snare immunity at the same time - it's total incompetence.
    But, at least u need to have slot for it and immunity is only for 2 seconds (when they were bombarded with our asks to nerf it at that PTS). Race in TIme is still bad designed. We should not have both these effects from 1 skill.

Ball of Lightning is next thing to make Open World PvP great for magsorcs and a garbage for their opponents.
    And as a result for gameplay in general.
    Even if someone addicted for it's absorbing damage component.
    But, current Streak is way more strong imho, unblockable, undoidgeable aoe... BoL weaker option

My thoughts - ball of lightning should provide at Maximum snares/roots cleance, not immunity.
    Or, that immunity should come from another skill, like for example Shattering Prison, which is never usable. or Bound Armaments/Aegis which are slotted just for passives at the bar...do we love such skills?

@ZOS_BrianWheeler guys, how u can to not see that? it's same as to give snare immunity for example to nightblade's Shadow image, or templar's Extended ritual, or Warden's Shimmering shield, or in the worst for the game case - to nightblade's Shadowy Disguise... very big mistake.

BoL neever been tye morph to do dmg, if you read its discription on live, you see it does not deal dmg. The stun is only on original location. Now on pts, stun has been removed making the skill even more defensive and streak with uts dmg and stun ore offensive.
    Options