The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Do you like Cast times?

• Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BrianWheeler

So far more than 80% dislikes cast times, how do you respond?
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Cast times need to go.The less the better.

You know that could mean sorcs could use a combo with rune and inevitable detonation without restrictions?

Oh no.... I'm really concerned about your pvp zerg.

Why? I'm just asking for a very powerful mechanic that affects both zergs and solo players. Without cast time on inevitable, a Sorc can pair it with rune + fury + frag proc for an even stronger combo.

Cast time abilities have their uses, next pach I'll be trying rune + crystal blast + crit rush on a hybrid 2H sorc (currently it is rune + frags hard cast + invasion on a S/B hybrid sorc). If you take away the cast time, then the combo is pointless and I'll be forced to move to the regular sorc playing style, which is utterly boring.

and I'm talking about pve where they have absolutely no place.This might be acceptable "if" they" balanced pve and pvp separately,but they don't.If I had would my way all the sets dropped in dungeons would not even be useable in pvp.It probably would solve a lot of issues of people not having the slightest of what to do in dlc content too.Would it not be better that way?You always complain about proc sets,although some do not come from dungeons. This is just for clarification that I really think they must be separated,since it is off topic.Besides the biggest issue I think with this is with as in the case of incapacitating strike,night blade is a fast paced class.By turning even one their abilities into a clunky cast time slog it ruins the class indentity.
  • Hyzock
    Hyzock
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but not on ultimates.
    Only on the abilities that currently have a cast time, definitely not on ultimates. Changing the rules of the game specifically for certain ults just makes combat feel clunky. Animation cancelling has been a part of the game since the start and everyone who isn't an idiot knows that it's not a bug at this point, changing the rules of the game now makes no sense.
    PC EU - Frank the Potato - Stam DK
  • SilverPaws
    SilverPaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    One of the most stupid changes.
    Edited by SilverPaws on July 17, 2019 6:40PM
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but only on ultimates.
    I would argue that high damage ultimates need them.

Also think that canceling the animation of an instant cast skill should stop the damage as well.

Imagine a boxer “animation canceling”a punch by blocking before extending his arm out completely to punch you but you still get hit.

And this Is supposed to be “skilled fast paced combat?”

If you guys had your way dizzying swing would have the ability to be animation canceled as well.
    Edited by Anti_Virus on July 18, 2019 6:09AM
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Horrible change. The mechanical ability to fluidly animation cancel is often what separates the haves from the have nots in ESO. You know which group you belong too.
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    if something has a cast animation, clipping it shouldnt be possible, only CANCELLING it in the literal sense (which they'v added and doesn't waste costs) should happen and i'm fine with more of this. now the TRUE AC users will shine and not the "hurr durr speed animation clip kill" people who think cheese = skill.

theres a reason ESO is a joke in the AC community.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    AC isn't the issue we are speaking of, nor is it a problem to begin with.

Cast times are clunky, boring, and have no place in a fast combat game.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No response?????
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • labambao
    labambao
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like cast times only on damage shields
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    If I wanted cast time MMO I’d play other MMOs as they are far superior to this game.
  • Zatox
    Zatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    What a retarted poll.
    If you dont like a healers changes, you probably create a topic like "are you like to die"?
  • Muzzick
    Muzzick
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Don't like cast times in a game that already has performance issues where instant cast can feel like a cast time
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I do not like them here or there.
    I do not like them anywhere.
    I'm not wild about channels either.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    A cast time shouldn't even be a concept.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casttime abilities are never good in Bethesda games. Master spells in Skyrim were poorly thought out and underpowered, casttime spells in Elder Scrolls Blades are completely useless and most of them are. Luckily, Eso has few and is getting rid of them over time.

My impression from all Elder Scrolls games however, is that magic is usually underwhelming, underpowered and poorly designed. I believe, that ESO is not an exception to this for the most part.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Not a fan of cast times really, personally I hate dark deal/conversion although jesus beam feels good. I suppose to me if the value you get out of the skill whether it be damage or utility justifies the cast time then its a fair trade off.
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I like that they can offer counter play in pvp. It's kind of lame now that the only thing you will interrupt randomly is dark exchange. I actually liked healing on templar more back with the casted heal and you had to think more as a healer than just spam breath of life.

That being said I don't think they should snare your movement speed and they should add significant reward to your risk of being interrupted. That way they mesh better with fast paced combat and make up for your inability to weave and ani cancel with them as well. I think ZoS always forgets and doesn't factor in their effect on weaving when they calculate their power.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Channeled skills I’m fine with, mainly due to playing as magplar for so long.

Cast times like channeled acceleration or the old Templar heal are horrible to use. They don’t end well and can often lag out when trying to bar swap and use the same skill number on other bar but recast it.

In other MMOs where I’ve used them they have been core part of rotation and most skills have them, so using them felt in line with everything else. Here most of your rotation is about being fast paced and fluid then to throw in a cast time just feels wrong.
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    NuarBlack wrote: »
    I like that they can offer counter play in pvp. It's kind of lame now that the only thing you will interrupt randomly is dark exchange. I actually liked healing on templar more back with the casted heal and you had to think more as a healer than just spam breath of life.

That being said I don't think they should snare your movement speed and they should add significant reward to your risk of being interrupted. That way they mesh better with fast paced combat and make up for your inability to weave and ani cancel with them as well. I think ZoS always forgets and doesn't factor in their effect on weaving when they calculate their power.

If cast times had much more reward I could live with them. Currently, their reward isn't anywhere near worth it in a fast paced game and the mechanic of them Currently simply do not have a place.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

There is more than a majority vote on NOT liking cast times, any response before the cast times go live not only are you adding them but you aren't reducing the ones already creating clunky gameplay.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Sharee wrote: »
    Except for Dizzying Swing where, I like the cast time, which is justifyied with high burst and stun. Cast time on this ability makes it a high risk high reward ability. EsO generaly lacks these abilities.

I kinda like cast time on Dark Flare as well.

But, I am also glad they removed cast time from Blood Altar.

Cast time on ultimates is plain wrong IMO.

... because dawnbreaker does not justify it with high burst and stun.

Dawnbreaker can't be spammed...
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    dsalter wrote: »
    if something has a cast animation, clipping it shouldnt be possible, only CANCELLING it in the literal sense (which they'v added and doesn't waste costs) should happen and i'm fine with more of this. now the TRUE AC users will shine and not the "hurr durr speed animation clip kill" people who think cheese = skill.

theres a reason ESO is a joke in the AC community.

LOL we have now "True AC community"? xD Where one can sign in? Is it like masons? xD So can we get Radial Sweep to on this list? It can be cancelled as easy as any of those abilities.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    ZOS please don't ignore your community
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Cast time and channeled skills should be much more powerful than instant cast skills
  • sweatapodimas
    sweatapodimas
    ✭✭✭
    No

This. People are quitting over this, though I'm adapting, lag in Cryodiil (260 ping last night) makes any burst combos null and void. DKs and Templars are laughing to the bank with their untouched cast time ultimates (not sure if leap and RS have instant or not), and their survival is assured vs anyone using those affected Ultis.

No lag (110 ping or less) it is managable.

So:

1) Fix the lag, or

2) remove this clunky trash... :wink:
    Edited by sweatapodimas on August 19, 2019 2:29PM
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

This. People are quitting over this, though I'm adapting, lag in Cryodiil (260 ping last night) makes any burst combos null and void. DKs and Templars are laughing to the bank with their untouched cast time ultimates (not sure if leap and RS have instant or not), and their survival is assured vs anyone using those affected Ultis.

No lag (110 ping or less) it is managable.

So:

1) Fix the lag, or

2) remove this clunky trash... :wink:

Leap still gets outrunned/dodgerolled 30% of the time

but I agree, cast times are clunky and make the game feel terrible; I can't even use dawnbreaker anymore, it's just trashy.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Ignoring the concept of cast times, because concepts are cute but don't represent how things really work in ESO, cast times are always and everywhere terrible.

In PVP you can just kiss off anything with a cast time reliably working. The lag, and however it is the server works, or fails to work, under the hood, means that if an ability has a cast time it is unlikely to actually fire for you and that unlikelihood increases with the intensity of the combat and thereby the likelihood of you actually needing the ability to fire. Forget the chance of being interrupted, you won't need to be interrupted, the ability will just malfunction.

In PVE, it is just a question of whether a cast time ability does enough damage (and who now has any skills on their bar in PVE that are not damage skills) to justify screwing up the timing and animation canceling of your weave. Simply put, ZOS does not balance things that way. If there is a big downside, such as a cast time, to a skill they do not compensate it with a similarly strong upside.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • Vanos444
    Vanos444
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    If only, light and heavy attacks were automatic.
  • Darsaga
    Darsaga
    ✭✭✭
    No
    It just recently came to my attention that the new lead guy was part of an older game that’s combat system is out dated and boring. After learning that a lot of these changes started to make sense, but not in a good way.

ESO combat is what has kept it alive this long with the constant degrading performance over the last 2.5 years. If you start stripping away what made this game great your shooting yourself in the foot.

We don’t want cast times we don’t want cool downs, there are plenty of other MMOs that offer this play style. For the love of everything swallow your pride and dont force a dated games combat system into ESO.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_RichLambert