Update 24 and the Dragonhold DLC Game Pack are both now available for testing on the PTS! Experience the amazing conclusion to the Season of the Dragon saga. You can read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/493609/ 
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 17,  4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 17,  4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 17,  4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 5.2.0 is available. You can read the full patch notes: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/493609

Do you like Cast times?

  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I think I hate delayed effects more than cast times (Scorch and Dive for example), but not being able to animation-cancel ultimates makes them clunky and kind of puts them into a situation where they will only work in PvE, but have no effectiveness whatsoever in PvP. In that way, I think the cast time might be polarizing their effectiveness. It's kinda stupid to have fast-paced combat, but not have skills which are reactive (instant). If I cast a skill that isn't a buff, it's usually because I NEED that skill right flippin' now, not x seconds later when it won't matter anymore.
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    If it’s supposed to help to see when something is happening in the combat, then yes.
    Current public stam parses on Iron Atro so far (esologs - Scalebreaker)
    DW&Bow
    DW(no vMA)&Bow
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • brandoncoffmannub18_ESO
    No
    For everyone who said Yes, do you use cast times?

    In PvE light attack weaving with cast times is just disgusting and feels clunky and it just makes me want to die, not only that but if there is a stun you get interrupted and your rotation is messed up further, as well as the fact that you can't block while casting, but you can while using normal skills thus providing another issue and making you defenceless.

    In PvP cast times someone walks away and bam, nothing, not dodging, not blocking, just literally walking out of range making the skill useless and left you either stuck in a casting animation or wasted a second or two of your needed assault or defence; mix that in some lag in prime time then it's unplayable.
    Raise your arguments, not your insults.

    Jodynn/Jo_oJ PC NA

    PvE and PvP

    MagDK
    StamDK
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    satanio wrote: »
    If it’s supposed to help to see when something is happening in the combat, then yes.

    Here's the thing even when it was clipped you can still see it.
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    A horribly implemented mechanic in a game that cannot work well with cast times simply because servers already delay many actions due to it's horrible infrastructure.
  • necronyteub17_ESO
    necronyteub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    https://scufgaming.com/playstation-vantage-controller.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078J2HQ9D/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=uncannyx-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B078J2HQ9D&linkId=76bd5a8735eb0d38a5b158a944399d2b
    Yeah get you something like these and Animation canceling that is being allowed in ESO just makes macroing SOOO easy.
    When someone in pvp kills you in less then a second and you look at the battle log of how you died and what was cast on you and by WHO.
    5 abilities in half a second from the same person LOL.
    It wasnt skill. It was one of these devices combined with the fact that animation canceling is in this game.
    Thats why these guys come here and freak out when they think animation canceling might get removed.
    Put a cast time or make it so if you animation cancel then it stops the whole spell or ability from going off because well hell, YOU canceled it lol.
    Watch how many whiners come out.
    Cast times or removing anima canceling and POOF , their cheating macro making devices cease to help them haha.
    I dont care what anyone says, because everyone has at one point or another been victim to an insta death from one of these cheaters . That is if youve even played any pvp in eso at all.

    The animation canceling just enables them to be able to utilize these devices.
    Even the XIM4 allows using your macro mouse or macro keyboard on your ps4 or xbox to mimic and appear as a legit console controller and macro as much as you want .

    Animation cancelling helps these devices because it takes away any kind of delay between skill and abilities and strings them together without global cooldowns of any kind.
    Take animation canceling out and every so called Elite player would suck at this game lol.

    OR take every cast time and cooldown off of everything and level the playing field. Make macro allowed and then see how good they are.
    Isn't 1 of these douch bags capable of doing 5 abilities faster then humanly possible without using one of these type of devices. Go check them out or buy one for yourself lol
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Disclaimer: I wear Cyrodiil's Light sometimes...
  • Daus
    Daus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    That's like asking if you like hemorrhoids.
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Rehdaun wrote: »
    Didn't Zos already tell us that they've heard our feedback about cast times being difficult to incorporate into fluid combat/rotation? Oh yes here it is.

    tldr;
    In terms of quality of life changes, we’ve heard your feedback about cast times being difficult to incorporate into fluid combat/rotation, and have made adjustments to many abilities with cast times to make them easier to weave and be more reliable. In most of these cases, we have adjusted the damage as well in coordination with cast time adjustments to retain the DPS you’re used to in U21.

    Why does Zos insist on telling us one thing, just to completely contradict themselves soon after?

    Nice pull. And your response @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_Gilliam ? Not looking good when you contradict a mission statement you put down in writing.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Except for dizzy swing. I like it on this skill, and it makes it well balanced as a high risk, high reward skill.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I already have terrible ping and lag
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    It's horrible and makes no sense. Good luck getting a kill with a cast like DB. -_- so ready for a new game
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Sharee wrote: »
    Except for Dizzying Swing where, I like the cast time, which is justifyied with high burst and stun. Cast time on this ability makes it a high risk high reward ability. EsO generaly lacks these abilities.

    I kinda like cast time on Dark Flare as well.

    But, I am also glad they removed cast time from Blood Altar.

    Cast time on ultimates is plain wrong IMO.

    ... because dawnbreaker does not justify it with high burst and stun.

    It's an ulti, it should have an advantage over a REGULAR SKILL. It's like an instant aoe dizzy swing. Now you're probably better off using dizzy swings in place of where you would ulti
    Edited by ZarkingFrued on July 13, 2019 4:26AM
  • sweatapodimas
    sweatapodimas
    ✭✭
    No
    Nope nope nope
  • sweatapodimas
    sweatapodimas
    ✭✭
    No
    Kronuxx wrote: »
    Rehdaun wrote: »
    Didn't Zos already tell us that they've heard our feedback about cast times being difficult to incorporate into fluid combat/rotation? Oh yes here it is.

    tldr;
    In terms of quality of life changes, we’ve heard your feedback about cast times being difficult to incorporate into fluid combat/rotation, and have made adjustments to many abilities with cast times to make them easier to weave and be more reliable. In most of these cases, we have adjusted the damage as well in coordination with cast time adjustments to retain the DPS you’re used to in U21.

    Why does Zos insist on telling us one thing, just to completely contradict themselves soon after?

    Nice pull. And your response @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_Gilliam ? Not looking good when you contradict a mission statement you put down in writing.

    Wowzers! No kidding. Indeed this is a contradiction.

    "...made adjustments to many abilities with cast times to make them easier to weave and be more reliable. In most of these cases, we have adjusted the damage as well in coordination with cast time adjustments to retain the DPS you’re used to..."

    WEAVE, so the argument that weaving and animation cancelling is not intended just got myth-busted... ;)
    Edited by sweatapodimas on July 17, 2019 3:01PM
  • sweatapodimas
    sweatapodimas
    ✭✭
    No
    https://scufgaming.com/playstation-vantage-controller.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078J2HQ9D/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=uncannyx-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B078J2HQ9D&linkId=76bd5a8735eb0d38a5b158a944399d2b
    Yeah get you something like these and Animation canceling that is being allowed in ESO just makes macroing SOOO easy.
    When someone in pvp kills you in less then a second and you look at the battle log of how you died and what was cast on you and by WHO.
    5 abilities in half a second from the same person LOL.
    It wasnt skill. It was one of these devices combined with the fact that animation canceling is in this game.
    Thats why these guys come here and freak out when they think animation canceling might get removed.
    Put a cast time or make it so if you animation cancel then it stops the whole spell or ability from going off because well hell, YOU canceled it lol.
    Watch how many whiners come out.
    Cast times or removing anima canceling and POOF , their cheating macro making devices cease to help them haha.
    I dont care what anyone says, because everyone has at one point or another been victim to an insta death from one of these cheaters . That is if youve even played any pvp in eso at all.

    The animation canceling just enables them to be able to utilize these devices.
    Even the XIM4 allows using your macro mouse or macro keyboard on your ps4 or xbox to mimic and appear as a legit console controller and macro as much as you want .

    Animation cancelling helps these devices because it takes away any kind of delay between skill and abilities and strings them together without global cooldowns of any kind.
    Take animation canceling out and every so called Elite player would suck at this game lol.

    OR take every cast time and cooldown off of everything and level the playing field. Make macro allowed and then see how good they are.
    Isn't 1 of these douch bags capable of doing 5 abilities faster then humanly possible without using one of these type of devices. Go check them out or buy one for yourself lol

    Straw man.

    Macros aren't even close to the topic. Macros still live by the global cooldowns and can only perform as fast as a person could possibly perform these actions. (unless you are talking about a straight up hack, which gets notice im sure by imbedded anticheat programs ) It is not hard to hit this limit. I'm old and have slower response time than a lot of you kids and even I can hit mouse left-click followed by R within a 200 ms time frame.

    Since you are talking of cheating and macros (again this is not the reason for the cast time changes). I used to think the same way 6 months into open-world pvp until I figured it out on a combat dummy, AND figured out that I had to LISTEN for the sounds of these Ultimates when defending. I quit bitching and just put a little work into it.

    Duel people, be a good sport. Hell you might find you'll get better in a very short time ("LIGHTBULB"). Too many times people look for a hidden, malevolent, cause to their dying. As it turns out you just suck at it at the moment . Learning this aspect of the game is worth it. Combat here is wonderfully fluid.

    Cheers
    Edited by sweatapodimas on July 17, 2019 3:18PM
  • SaltySudd
    SaltySudd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only if the damage/heal/effect justifies the cast time. Otherwise, no.
    Stop exploiting players.
    PC NA: CP 810+
    Xbox NA: CP 810+
    | vMA Flawless | | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vHoF | vAS+2 | vCR | vSS HM |
    | DK tank | Warden tank | NB tank | Templar healer | Warden healer | Magsorc | Magblade | Magplar | Crafter |
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    a Cast time on ultimates is a Great idea.
    infact, a cast time on ultimates or maybe "some" skills would be Great and it will Help pvp.
    but not on shields, not on healing and invisibility, not on blocking.
    when a skill needs to have immediate reaction, then let us have it.
    it would destroy survival and defenses to put cast times on those, but damage skills ... some of them should not have cast times. it could break your ability to finish the fight and kill your enemy. having Some skills with cast times would help improve PvP.
    best in slot: is the armor, weapon, clothing look, pet, or no pet, jewelry, race, class, skill choices, amount of DPS, and skin color best fit to you and the way you wish to play and makes you feel good and performs what YOU think it should be.

    worst in slot: what you read in zone chat, and forum comment, and forum thread, and you tube video, and live streamer advice, and class rep advice, and guild chat advice, and whisper told you to wear, and use for skill, and dress like, and use for weapon and armor.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but only on ultimates.
    Kronuxx wrote: »
    Rehdaun wrote: »
    Didn't Zos already tell us that they've heard our feedback about cast times being difficult to incorporate into fluid combat/rotation? Oh yes here it is.

    tldr;
    In terms of quality of life changes, we’ve heard your feedback about cast times being difficult to incorporate into fluid combat/rotation, and have made adjustments to many abilities with cast times to make them easier to weave and be more reliable. In most of these cases, we have adjusted the damage as well in coordination with cast time adjustments to retain the DPS you’re used to in U21.

    Why does Zos insist on telling us one thing, just to completely contradict themselves soon after?

    Nice pull. And your response @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_Gilliam ? Not looking good when you contradict a mission statement you put down in writing.

    Wowzers! No kidding. Indeed this is a contradiction.

    "...made adjustments to many abilities with cast times to make them easier to weave and be more reliable. In most of these cases, we have adjusted the damage as well in coordination with cast time adjustments to retain the DPS you’re used to..."

    WEAVE, so the argument that weaving and animation cancelling is not intended just got myth-busted... ;)

    the dev knows about it and it is part of the game at this point...

    ...but cast on ulti does not mean cast on all skills... .I reckon this is their attempt to stop animation cancelling JUST on ultimates.

    which i agree.
    Praetorian Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Kaalgrontiid
    Scalebreaker 5.1.8 PvP : DW/2H The Plague Titan
    Scalebreaker 5.1.8 PvE : DW/2H The Blood Drinker
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Again, no single skill should have a cast time for any reason.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Cast times slow down game play. Very clunky mechanic. Please get rid of cast times!
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cuz pvp. No cast times, no counterplay.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    msalvia wrote: »
    Cuz pvp. No cast times, no counterplay.

    Don't care.
  • nejcn001
    nejcn001
    Yes...but only for abbilities that have animation where cast time or delay would make sense...BUT, this has to be developed also on backend or animation cast times can be bypassed! Which can make more lag, but cast time/delay can reduce the lag.
  • nejcn001
    nejcn001
    Cast times slow down game play. Very clunky mechanic. Please get rid of cast times!

    But reduces the lag...less called abbilities, less load on megaserver, better stability.
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No this game was built on the fact that it was fast combat. Adding cast times just make the combat feel horrible.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but not on ultimates.
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Cast times need to go.The less the better.

    You know that could mean sorcs could use a combo with rune and inevitable detonation without restrictions?

    Oh no.... I'm really concerned about your pvp zerg.

    Why? I'm just asking for a very powerful mechanic that affects both zergs and solo players. Without cast time on inevitable, a Sorc can pair it with rune + fury + frag proc for an even stronger combo.

    Cast time abilities have their uses, next pach I'll be trying rune + crystal blast + crit rush on a hybrid 2H sorc (currently it is rune + frags hard cast + invasion on a S/B hybrid sorc). If you take away the cast time, then the combo is pointless and I'll be forced to move to the regular sorc playing style, which is utterly boring.
    The biggest problem within this game is the lack imagination on its player base and its developers...
    DragonKNIGHT KNIGHT!!!! not Dragonscoundrel, neither Dragonarcher....
    ― Our enemy was bold so we were bolder... our enemy was strong so we were stronger...

    ― Then, why did you lose?

    ― Our enemy was stupid...
    When it comes to crap, big-time, major league crap, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, ZoS. No contest. No contest. ZoS. ZoS easily has the greatest crap story ever told. Think about it: ZoS has actually convinced people, that there's a balance patch, coming next chapter, which will make you do everything you want do, at any hour, every day. And this balance patch has a special list of things it wants you to do. And if you don't do any of these things, it has a special place, full of lag and zergs and bleeds and procs and nerfs, where he will send you to die and suffer and respec and die and give AP and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

    But it loves you. It loves you, and it has lag! It always has lag! It's all-fun, all-perfect, all-lore, and all-challenging, somehow just can't handle lag! ZoS takes in millions of dollars, they pay no high-end servers, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good crap story. Holy Proc!
Sign In or Register to comment.