The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.2 is available.

You can only have 1 orb active at a time: Why this should NOT go live

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obsession with this one single skill is out of control, reading this thread is proof for that. About time something is done about it.

If you don’t like the change maybe come up with some other suggestions than “keep it as it is on live“ and ZOS might listen, see their intervention of making the Orb synergy usable by multiple players.
    Edited by Seraphayel on July 10, 2019 8:15PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Sagz
    Sagz
    ✭✭
    This is probably a poor attempt to "lessen the lag". It is illogical to do this as it is not really OP, so that is the only reason I could see Zos using in this rework.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's both funny and frustrating seeing people who have no clue on end game healing comment about this so let me try to get rid of some false assumptions people have.

Spamming skills: Smart healers layer springs reactively to counter large burst of damage (like frost hard mode in sunspire) or execute in HoF. What 'big heals' would you suggest people use instead? Springs is perfect here because it more efficiently distributes its healing to all allies in the radius as opposed to a strong aoe burst heal which waste its potential by overhealing 6 people and ignoring the rest. If I as a warden were to spam budding seeds instead, odds are half of the group would die in HoF waiting for the second detonation of the heal, which is why people aren't using it. Spamming orbs is another thing as we try to provide resources to 10 people every 20s, or an orb every other second, which will still be a pain with the upcoming pts patch when you need to provide resources in different directions while waiting for the slow orb to EVENTUALLY get there.

Overhealing: Orbs tick twice a second, healing 6 people in range. If ANY of those people are above 100% health, boom, overhealing. If a healer layers springs to prepare for big damage ahead of time, like a competent healer would, boom, overhealing. The best skill to avoid overhealing in the entire game, the necromancers ghost, still overheals by 50% because its a strong enough heal to push dps well beyond full health, despite only firing when there is healing to be done.

Look, the game has been designed around these two skills for a long time and you can't just remove them without doing a balance patch on literally all pieces of content that have come out, and for springs since the skill has barely changed since launch, all content. There aren't alternatives because there never needed to be alternatives, and all this does is either force all content to be made so easy dps can self heal themselves or so all classes lose a skill to get it replaced with a healing springs clone. That is a waste of time and only serves to be frustrating. If you feel these changes are fine great, I have a sinking suspicion you've never done vet trials before, and until you do them I honestly think you shouldn't be the voice on what path the skills should take. Before I did trials I also though springs was overrated, but after having actually run the content I know its a valuable tool that has a time and place to be used, and even when used lightly still 'tops the log charts'.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    If you don’t like the change maybe come up with some other suggestions than “keep it as it is on live“ and ZOS might listen, see their intervention of making the Orb synergy usable by multiple players.

But why? Why "fix" something that's not broken? Why think of alternatives if we have absolutely no clue (by Word of God) why this change was even done? If going back to what it's on live is the best solution, why not use it? Change for change's sake is nonsense.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »

But why? Why "fix" something that's not broken? Why think of alternatives if we have absolutely no clue (by Word of God) why this change was even done? If going back to what it's on live is the best solution, why not use it? Change for change's sake is nonsense.

It was literally done to stop easy overhealing was and to hopefully reduce the lag a bit.

You still get the resources but not the insane heals spamming 5 of them will give.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the trails are impossible with the new changes then zos will change them, they already stated that.

Im sorry but not everyone should be able to do trials, that is literally the hardest thing in the game with pve. It should be the ultimate goal.

I don't know. If they introduce sweeping and radical changes like these ones*, shouldn't they have tested before going into finetuning on the PTS that their content is doable with these changes? That's ZOS' job, not the players'.

Also, this "we may be changing trials" came in the same post as those infamous "just use Cleansing Ritual and Circle of Protection" suggestions, i.e. just vague ideas thrown out there showing that there isn't really a plan behind all this.
    And third, if you have healers in your game, it's kinda stupid to remove those parts of your content that actually require capable healers.

* I'm still not convinced they realised what they were doing with these changes.

The pts is where the testing is done.

Healing in this game is very overtuned in both pve and pvp. In pve people heal 1000% more than they need too, there is no real thought apart from spamming 2 skills really. Most content and even most phases of vet trials don't need that sheer amount of healing and the steps that do can be helped by a few dd's using an aoe heal or a protection ult.

Maybe the thought is that they don't want end game healing to be to build to sustain and then just spam 2 skills, maybe use a utility skill/ proc sets.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If the trails are impossible with the new changes then zos will change them, they already stated that.

Im sorry but not everyone should be able to do trials, that is literally the hardest thing in the game with pve. It should be the ultimate goal.

I don't know. If they introduce sweeping and radical changes like these ones*, shouldn't they have tested before going into finetuning on the PTS that their content is doable with these changes? That's ZOS' job, not the players'.

Also, this "we may be changing trials" came in the same post as those infamous "just use Cleansing Ritual and Circle of Protection" suggestions, i.e. just vague ideas thrown out there showing that there isn't really a plan behind all this.
    And third, if you have healers in your game, it's kinda stupid to remove those parts of your content that actually require capable healers.

* I'm still not convinced they realised what they were doing with these changes.

Healing in this game is very overtuned in both pve and pvp. In pve people heal 1000% more than they need too, there is no real thought apart from spamming 2 skills really. Most content and even most phases of vet trials don't need that sheer amount of healing and the steps that do can be helped by a few dd's using an aoe heal or a protection ult.

Maybe the thought is that they don't want end game healing to be to build to sustain and then just spam 2 skills, maybe use a utility skill/ proc sets.

So what you're saying is its a bad idea for healers to place springs on the group before damage comes out, and only heal when people are injured? Oh, and then cutting ALL healing when they get close to full because, woah, if you heal someone at full health thats overhealing. Can't have pre-emptive heals now can we.
  • BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    So in PVE If Healers are overhealing 1000% then why are groups wiping on Trials executes?

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In pve people heal 1000% more than they need too, there is no real thought apart from spamming 2 skills really.
    Why don't you actually show some numbers that you didn't just pull out of your derriere?

Assembly General Execute:
    Screenshot_2019-07-10_ESO_Logs_-_Combat_Analysis_for_ESO6.png

Lokkestiiz HM Beam/Static:
    Screenshot_2019-07-10_ESO_Logs_-_Combat_Analysis_for_ESO7.png

1000% overhealing? More like 50-60%. And it's good to have margins for error. The nerfs to orbs/springs are on the order of 75-85%, mostly through the elimination of their stacking. The amount of overhealing in critical trials mechanics do not warrant that kind of change.

It's clear from statements like this that you have no idea what healers actually do. Fortunately, we have this nice thing called esologs that lets me as a raid lead see what my healers are actually doing.

Screenshot_2019-07-10_ESO_Logs_-_Combat_Analysis_for_ESO.png

So... just two skills, right? Maybe you should get to know what healers do before giving us any further demonstrations of your ignorance.
    Edited by code65536 on July 11, 2019 9:02AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

PTS is not where the real testing is done. Paid and experienced QAs test in an actual test environment before a build is deployed to the PTS. At least I hope so.
  • wills43b14_ESO
    wills43b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

That's a pretty strong statement @leepalmer95 and it mostly indicates you DON'T know the role of an end-game healer. Yes, those two skills make up a significant portion of healing (and overhealing), but they're also used to preemptively counter dmg. Far too often when you're trying to react to members taking dmg it is already too late to save them assuming you even know the damage is coming at a given level to a specific member (hoarfrost damage from holding it and ball dots in vCR as an example or dmg coming faster than 1 tick increments which is the gcd healers have to operate on). Yes, healers used these heals to preemptively heal, but it also let them use a TON of other skills to support the group. As an example on a templar healer, you had spear shards (placed resources for far away tanks as an example and targeted olorime procs), blockade to proc enchants like weakness or crushing (if wearing torugs) and set enemies off balance, ele drain so mag could even attempt to sustain (this puts mag at an even bigger disadvantage than it already is on a parsing dummy on PTS cycle 1), rune focus (to sustain and keep themselves alive), combat prayer (buff), power of the light (general debuff on the enemy), heavy attacking bosses/adds to apply minor vulnerability (infallible aether set), bone shield (which is NOT instantaneous on dps), etc. A lot of people claim endgame healing is easy - true endgame healing is an art to do it correctly... you have to preemptively spot heals for when you know they will be needed just so you can optimally maintain buff and debuff uptimes. Not having the right tools to do so now is detrimental as it means healers will likely be having to spam burst heals far more often and sacrifice more buffing/debuffing potential.

Edit: While coincidental, if you don't believe me, just look at @code65536's log he posted. I hadn't even read his comment before posting this and it pretty much just overlaid EXACTLY with what I just said about skill diversity on a templar healer.
    Edited by wills43b14_ESO on July 11, 2019 5:09AM
    Godslayer
    Tick Tock Tormentor
    Gryphon Heart
    Immortal Redeemer
  • wills43b14_ESO
    wills43b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    At best, the mag healer (since a stam healer will also be in group now) will become a glorified combat prayer spam bot.
    Godslayer
    Tick Tock Tormentor
    Gryphon Heart
    Immortal Redeemer
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It was literally done to stop easy overhealing was and to hopefully reduce the lag a bit.

Can you please direct me to the developer statement where they are saying that?

Or is that just a general uneducated guess, like most of what you're writing about healers?
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At best, the mag healer (since a stam healer will also be in group now) will become a glorified combat prayer spam bot.

I'm already farming the Perfect timeless blessing for this patch x)
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will have to say that after reading all these posts in the forums concerning the upcoming patch, ZOS has polarized the community more than I’ve seen in a long time. Pitting PVP vs. PVE, casuals vs. elites, healers vs. non-healers, and even healers vs. healers. If anarchy was your goal ZOS, well done, you succeeded :)
    Edited by Ashtaris on July 11, 2019 4:52PM
  • Nefas
    Nefas
    Class Representative
    code65536 wrote: »
    We already ask DDs to slot Vigor on Lokkestiiz HM. Mid-tier and progression groups already use Novas on Assembly General.

But when a DD's Echoing Vigor can heal 6 people more than what used to be the two core abilities of a healer's toolkit, then absolutely yes, that's wrong. That. Is. Not. Balanced.

And when experienced groups have to resort to extra defensive measures to clear content, then where does that leave inexperienced groups that are learning the content? Could an experienced group clear vHoF on the PTS? Maybe. I'm skeptical that it's possible, but it might be doable. There is some talk about taking a group in next week after more orb changes are made to test that out.

But let's say that an experienced group of people who all have TTT can scrape together a vHoF HM clear (which, again, I'm not sure could be done). What do we tell the people who can clear it right now on Live, but don't have the kind of DPS headroom to skip Exhaustion? These are the groups that are already using extra defensive measures like Novas. This mid-tier make up the bulk of the people who run trials. What do we say to them? "Sorry, but you need to L2P." LOL

Took the words from my mouth and fingertips. Too bad PTS Week 2 didn't have the 2nd iteration of orbs.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’ll admit, I was too drunk to read the whole thing. But I like orbs because it means I will have to cast it less often to give everyone a synergy.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if these healing changes go live I don't think i'll be playing anymore, at least not the healer role. it'll feel way too redundant and add significantly less to groups than it would need to be any bit rewarding.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if these healing changes go live I don't think i'll be playing anymore, at least not the healer role. it'll feel way too redundant and add significantly less to groups than it would need to be any bit rewarding.

What exactly feels redundant when the spamming capabilities of your two main skills have been removed and you need to use other skills to compensate for that? And no, Combat Prayer spam isn’t the new thing.

If something was redundant then the ways of healing we had now by simply layering Springs, shooting Orbs and then doing something else but not healing.

I mean how can it be more redundant than it is now?
    Edited by Seraphayel on July 17, 2019 12:55AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Seraphayel there are lots of posts by healers on the pts section of the forums that articulate it better than I care too because I doubt my blurb would change things and don't care to put effort into a thought out response solely to help people understand. if you don't, that's fine with me, I don't need to change that. If you really want to, the posts exist. If you still don't after that, well, I couldn't help in the first place :/

This isn't just @ you, but really all the people who don't understand or think this outcry is uncalled for or unnecessary.

edit: to clarify; I would normally try very hard to make people understand, but this is a game, and if people want to make it not fun, the world doesn't end, the game does.
    Edited by TheNightflame on July 17, 2019 1:14AM
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In pve people heal 1000% more than they need too, there is no real thought apart from spamming 2 skills really.
    Why don't you actually show some numbers that you didn't just pull out of your derriere?

Assembly General Execute:
    Screenshot_2019-07-10_ESO_Logs_-_Combat_Analysis_for_ESO6.png

Lokkestiiz HM Beam/Static:
    Screenshot_2019-07-10_ESO_Logs_-_Combat_Analysis_for_ESO7.png

1000% overhealing? More like 50-60%. And it's good to have margins for error. The nerfs to orbs/springs are on the order of 75-85%, mostly through the elimination of their stacking. The amount of overhealing in critical trials mechanics do not warrant that kind of change.

It's clear from statements like this that you have no idea what healers actually do. Fortunately, we have this nice thing called esologs that lets me as a raid lead see what my healers are actually doing.

Screenshot_2019-07-10_ESO_Logs_-_Combat_Analysis_for_ESO.png

So... just two skills, right? Maybe you should get to know what healers do before giving us any further demonstrations of your ignorance.

I mean look at those two skills being spammed! IT'S OUTRAGEOUS. /s

In seriousness though, I agree. @leepalmer95 please put up some data to back up your claims or shut up.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Druid40 wrote: »
    It seems like groups will have to vary their synergies.

That assumes they will survive long enough to do so, which was already a small part of the community now it will be even smaller because the skill floor is now higher as a result.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The "only one" change to orbs and healing springs are final proof that the responsible devs do not understand their own game. Trials will become impossible and a chore instead of being fun. I already cancelled my sub, and if this goes live, I will not do trials anymore as a healer, perhaps I will even leave. This game is going downhill for a while now, and with absurd changes like these, I do not have confidence anymore that the devs even understand what they are doing.
    Edited by BalticBlues on July 17, 2019 4:55AM
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sagz wrote: »
    This is probably a poor attempt to "lessen the lag". It is illogical to do this as it is not really OP, so that is the only reason I could see Zos using in this rework.

Could be a huge help to lesson the lag. It is well documented that several people stacking healing springs while taking massive AOE damage spikes Latency especially PVP. I remember just 2 years ago a ball group just spam purge/ Healing springs they used no other abilites at corner of BRK while everyone dropped siege on them. Latency surged to 999 in fact siege even stopped working.
    Edited by Durham on July 17, 2019 1:22PM
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • radbeard
    radbeard
    Soul Shriven
    please bring on the one orb change. This is a good and healthy change. Maybe tweaks are needed in some other healing abilities to compensate, but this is a good change. People afraid of change will adapt once they have new guides to follow.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radbeard wrote: »
    please bring on the one orb change. This is a good and healthy change. Maybe tweaks are needed in some other healing abilities to compensate, but this is a good change. People afraid of change will adapt once they have new guides to follow.

ROTFL. You... realize that the people saying that this change is bad are the people who make those guides, right?
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radbeard wrote: »

ROTFL. You... realize that the people saying that this change is bad are the people who make those guides, right?

Then it should be easy for them to come up with other solutions or workarounds, right? Unfortunately I haven’t read one yet although - if not them who else - they should be capable of figuring out ways to counter the nerfs by new set / build ideas.
    Edited by Seraphayel on July 17, 2019 2:30PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Gilliam @ZOS_RobGarrett @ZOS_BrianWheeler can we please get an update on why these changes were made to orbs and healing springs?

You’ve basically left the community to fight among themselves since you haven’t provided clarity or an explanation. Was it for server performance? Was it to force DPS to slot defensive skills/sets? Was it to prevent heal spam? Was it to rethink role specializations? Was it to increase the difficulty of the trials? What was the reasoning behind these changes? When you looked at the data and gameplay, what made you think “We need to change these and change them in this way”?
    Edited by Suddwrath on July 17, 2019 2:33PM
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obsession with this one single skill is out of control, reading this thread is proof for that. About time something is done about it.

Problem with that is they it should of been on week 2 by now. But it isn't the orb still disappears on single activation. meaning if it is to be discussed, debated and theory crafted and turns out to be bad it will still hit live regardless.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orbs should be on a 3 second cooldown. Big nerf but still manageable.

Healing springs should have have its total healing done nerfed by half but still work the same way it always does.