Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cast Timed Ultimates Discussion

susmitds
susmitds
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey there,

I want to talk about the cast time of Ultimates, from I felt in PTS.
  1. The cast time is very noticeable. Players with higher ping will find it significantly harder to land ultimates. It is very hard to land ultimates without CC on PTS as you can pretty much walk away during the animation and break the range, without even dodge rolling.
  2. During lag already, even instant single-target abilities often fail to register. Dizzying Swing builds find it very hard to register hits with the slightest lag. Same thing will happening to ultimates in PvP.
  3. Even when paired with CC, it is seriously easy to break free and dodge/block ultimates.
  4. Some players might feel that it might make it easier for newer and average players to react to ultimates. On the other hand, if we look at live for example, it is newer and average players who mostly fall victim to cast-timed builds like Dizzying builds. It will not make much of a difference to good players when fighting weaker opponents outside of being an inconvenience and degrade the standard of gameplay. On the other hand, the average players won't be able to touch better players with ults.
  5. One justification some players is that it is to balance Onslaught. If Onslaught is overpowered without cast time, then it should balanced by standard means, rather than slap a cast time on all burst ultimates. If that is not an option, then maybe then only put cast time on Onslaught.
  6. All this will do is increase the performance gap with between high-ping players and low-ping players significantly.
  7. If cast-timed ultimates must stay, then they should applied to all burst ultimates, including Leap and Radial Sweep.
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remove cast times on ultimates.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rikumaru wrote: »

Cast time on ults is one of the things, which seems fine on paper but does not work practically in real combat.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that ive gone through and tested every ultimate, but with the few I have used, not really noticed much of a difference tbh.

Maybe because im used to being screwed over by other cast time abilities so im naturally more careful with cast times and rotation pacing. Right now stampede is *** me over more than anything.
    Edited by validifyedneb18_ESO on July 12, 2019 3:12PM
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that ive gone through and tested every ultimate, but with the few I have used, not really noticed much of a difference tbh.

Maybe because im used to being screwed over by other cast time abilities so im naturally more careful with cast times and rotation pacing. Right now stampede is *** me over more than anything.
    Do you live in US or EU / other?
    EU players has significantly more lag because PTS is in US, US player might well be better off on PTS as its an less used system, gameplay feel be more laggy in huge fights because of server and client slowdowns.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast timed instant damage burst ults literally do not make sense, and do not belong in this game. If this change goes live, every affected ult is going to be trash in actual practice. Those short times may not seem like much on paper, but just like you said in an actual LAGGY PvP environment it is going to make them next to impossible to consistently land, especially against average or better players that have an idea of how to move.

This *** needs to get reverted.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

Cast time on ults is one of the things, which seems fine on paper but does not work practically in real combat.

It's not even fine on paper.What are you talking about?
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there,

1. If cast-timed ultimates must stay, then they should applied to all burst ultimates, including Leap and Radial Sweep.
    YES.
    (I mean, Leap got a long as flight time anyway lol)

NO.
    (this is just Ultimates, and in my experience it actually helps people with lag to get visual and impact queues)
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now stampede is *** me over more than anything.

huh? why? Stampede is *** in PTS.... im still sticking to Crit Strike with the new buff.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast time ultimates are a terrible idea. This does nothing to help the health of the game or combat. The game has had a fairly consistent rhythm since release and now all of a sudden for some arbitrary reason it was decided that Ultimate abilities, which need to charge up and can only be used intermittently, now need to have a cast time associated with them? Nope, back to the drawing board on this, and throw the cast time ideas in the trash.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    Cast time ultimates are a terrible idea. This does nothing to help the health of the game or combat. The game has had a fairly consistent rhythm since release and now all of a sudden for some arbitrary reason it was decided that Ultimate abilities, which need to charge up and can only be used intermittently, now need to have a cast time associated with them? Nope, back to the drawing board on this, and throw the cast time ideas in the trash.

i run solo and PUG about 90% of the time in Kaalgrontiid campaign.

the "rythm" is generally despised by most player because "only the veterans and people with good ping" can ani-cancel ultimates (and other skills).... which then gets rebuted by the vets by "LOL L2P N00BS" (which is not completely false).

don't trust me? come visit zone chat.

my point is, i think (as somebody who uses animation cancelling just fine) having a cast time for ulti (just ulti) in Cyrodiil can help everyone enjoy combat... EVEN IF it's at the cost of re-learning the "rhythm" for veteran players.

just let it go live and give it a shot. i'm getting tired reading a brand new thread on this subject on the forum lol
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zone chat is filled with mostly newbies, who dont have the slightest clue how to PvP and believe in zerging.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play with 350 ping min(Oceanic issues, xD) and can animation cancel everything.
    Edited by susmitds on July 12, 2019 4:32PM
  • Myux
    Myux
    ✭✭✭
    cast time ultis is by far one of the worst decisions you could have and its absolutely baffling as to why they thought it was a good idea. literally no one likes cast times unless theyre weird. you cant just add cast times to stuff arbitrarily and expect the game to function, especially with its server performance. soul harvest is the only other skill i have that does damage, and is the only skill i have that i can get to hit reliably if i manipulate the opponent into doing what i want them to do, and predict them well. if both of my damage skills are delayed, i have nothing to actually pressure with when i need it.

and thats ignoring the fact that the cast times just clunk up the combat severely, prevent you from animation cancelling, and more importantly prevent you from so much as swapping your bar. and also theyre buggy as ***. im genuinely considering quitting the game if this makes it through because soul harvest is the only skill i have that NEEDS to work. if i wanted clunky garbage and a nonsensical pace, id play another pvp mmo like BDO or something.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Do you live in US or EU / other?
    EU players has significantly more lag because PTS is in US, US player might well be better off on PTS as its an less used system, gameplay feel be more laggy in huge fights because of server and client slowdowns.

Im EU, but again, this might be in my favor. Everything is a bit laggy on the PTS for me anyway, so cast times are just an addition to preexisting latency.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »

huh? why? Stampede is *** in PTS.... im still sticking to Crit Strike with the new buff.

Like volly its now a viable AOE weapon ability to make the weapon hold an enchant proccing from the offbar. So its part of the PVE rotation now, if you do 2h backbar.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No those either need to be burned or dissolved in acid.The can be retrieved from the trash.We don't want that do we?
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zone chat is filled with mostly newbies, who dont have the slightest clue how to PvP and believe in zerging.

that's why i'm in it for the newbies. i'd rather have a full Cyro with newbies and zergs; than an empty Cyro with a few veteran elite meta players.

Like volly its now a viable AOE weapon ability to make the weapon hold an enchant proccing from the offbar. So its part of the PVE rotation now, if you do 2h backbar.

but the DoT is so low.... and u can just use Carve can't you? better DoT, better initial hit (and cheaper? not sure)
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

that's why i'm in it for the newbies. i'd rather have a full Cyro with newbies and zergs; than an empty Cyro with a few veteran elite meta players.

but the DoT is so low.... and u can just use Carve can't you? better DoT, better initial hit (and cheaper? not sure)

It is the newbies who won't be able to land ultis now, i can still hide the animation significantly with heavy attack if have less lag. All this does is help the NA players and EU players close to server and screw everybody else.
    Edited by susmitds on July 12, 2019 4:46PM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myux wrote: »
    cast time ultis is by far one of the worst decisions you could have and its absolutely baffling as to why they thought it was a good idea. literally no one likes cast times unless theyre weird. you cant just add cast times to stuff arbitrarily and expect the game to function, especially with its server performance. soul harvest is the only other skill i have that does damage, and is the only skill i have that i can get to hit reliably if i manipulate the opponent into doing what i want them to do, and predict them well. if both of my damage skills are delayed, i have nothing to actually pressure with when i need it.

and thats ignoring the fact that the cast times just clunk up the combat severely, prevent you from animation cancelling, and more importantly prevent you from so much as swapping your bar. and also theyre buggy as ***. im genuinely considering quitting the game if this makes it through because soul harvest is the only skill i have that NEEDS to work. if i wanted clunky garbage and a nonsensical pace, id play another pvp mmo like BDO or something.

If it goes live, I would surprise if ZOS is not forced to revert it in a hotfix. In just PTS stuff, the cast time is feeling screwy. In poplocked Cyro on live, rip ultis.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they won't cause lock in animation bug (like shields) the change is good not counting the Cyro lag. Instead of ani-cancelling Dawny and leave the opponent confused what exactly hit them and calling them to l2p, now everybody has at least chance to react. A good trade for the power they provide while being avaiable to everyone. Class ultis shouldnt be like that though.
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭
    This time to react discussion leads me to believe some people are with some friends after one player with their buffs down. I've never.....Since June 15, 2015... Have i ever been hit with a dawny and and not knew what happened. I got caught lacking without my hurricane. So when we Ani-cancel Jedi say l2p. We're being genuine. Stop chasing people with your buffs down. Don't run 11k physical res on your build with no shield maim protection. When you get hit calmly press both triggers and hit your healing ward or vigor. Don't attack when your 35% cc then heal. This is learning to play. Your welcome.
  • TheTruestKing
    TheTruestKing
    ✭✭✭
    "ONE MORE THING" in my Jackie Chan adventures voice. Can someone upload a video from the pts showing sub assault combo with dawny on stamden. I need a good laugh.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey there,
    1. If cast-timed ultimates must stay, then they should applied to all burst ultimates, including Leap and Radial Sweep.
    If that's would fix 2-3years old bug of Sweep constantly missing to hit anyone inside - I all up for it.
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably the worse change zos made in years. It *** up combat so badly it feels like going from a Ferrari to a Smart. Awful.
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i run solo and PUG about 90% of the time in Kaalgrontiid campaign.

the "rythm" is generally despised by most player because "only the veterans and people with good ping" can ani-cancel ultimates (and other skills).... which then gets rebuted by the vets by "LOL L2P N00BS" (which is not completely false).

don't trust me? come visit zone chat.

my point is, i think (as somebody who uses animation cancelling just fine) having a cast time for ulti (just ulti) in Cyrodiil can help everyone enjoy combat... EVEN IF it's at the cost of re-learning the "rhythm" for veteran players.

just let it go live and give it a shot. i'm getting tired reading a brand new thread on this subject on the forum lol

This. Anyone can animation cancel and call themselves a baws.
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I understand the point of view, but I don't share it. Making the game a more casual experience will just make said veterans shrug and leave, and soon ESO will be a sandbox while everyone with a bit more experience will leave for greener pastures. Might as well make PvP turn based, will give newbies some time to think their moves over. ESO always had fast-paced combat as a selling point; equalize everyone by forcing the combat to be slow and viscous, and it won't have anything going for it.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the point of view, but I don't share it. Making the game a more casual experience will just make said veterans shrug and leave, and soon ESO will be a sandbox while everyone with a bit more experience will leave for greener pastures. Might as well make PvP turn based, will give newbies some time to think their moves over. ESO always had fast-paced combat as a selling point; equalize everyone by forcing the combat to be slow and viscous, and it won't have anything going for it.

Anything that makes the game easier for the ones getting killed also makes it harder for the ones doing the killing.

True veterans and good players welcome the added challenge, instead of running from it.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Anything that makes the game easier for the ones getting killed also makes it harder for the ones doing the killing.

True veterans and good players welcome the added challenge, instead of running from it.

Cast times on ultimates feels clunky and non responsive. I guess I'm not a "true veteran" for disliking the change then....
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not particularly. You're forgetting that next minute, the one's getting killed is the one who's trying to kill, and will find themselves in same situation. And if even a newbie has no issues avoiding an ultimate, then newbies themselves will have no chance using it against veterans. As a result, the ultimate will be useless for both sides and won't ever be slotted by anyone; and when the toolkit will shrink to 'no fun playstyles left' level... you guessed it, veterans will shrug and leave. If someone enjoys fast-paced combat, he'd be a dimwit to accept the challenge like "now we made everything slow for you, try to get kills like that" - it's not a challenge, it's an inconvenience. He'll either find other tools to keep enjoying his playstyle, or if no tools left, will ditch the whole thing.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Who doesn't like more delays and lag sensitive skills? Let's add global cast time to every skill! Vets for sure will just shrug it off. The ones who really welcome this change are those who are not affected by it.
    Edited by Mayrael on July 29, 2019 9:05AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge