The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

You can only have 1 orb active at a time: Why this should NOT go live

stileanima
stileanima
✭✭✭✭
In this thread, I would like to discuss this proposed change to Necrotic Orb from an end-game healer's perspective, and I invite other healers (and DDs and Tanks) from all playstyles to do the same. I'll be extremely forward-- if you can't already tell from the title, I think this is an absolutely horrible change, and I would like to offer my reasoning as to why. At the same time, I'd also like to hear others' feedback about this, be they for or against the change. Or to put it another way, if there is anyone out there who thinks that this would be a good, productive change to healing in ESO, please try to convince me.

Now, for me, this also directly relates to the Grand Healing change, so I will be discussing both here and will try my best to give true examples of how the two skills coexist together other on live, and how I think they might affect healing in the future, should the changes actually go live.

Firstly: There has been no Dev comment in the patch notes about why this change has been proposed. Does ZoS think that Energy Orbs heal too much? I'm not sure they do since "1 orb at a time" applies even to the damage morph, which hardly any healer uses in end-game PvE. That being the case, does ZoS think that they make sustain in trials too easy? I, and I'm sure many other healers, would like to know the answer to this/the reasoning behind it.

I would like to share with you the mindset of most, if not all, end-game healers regarding Energy Orbs and Grand Healing:

We use Energy Orbs primarily for the sustain and synergies they provide to our DDs and Tanks, and additionally for their healing done. We do not take the damage morph of Orbs because we use the healing morph as our primary HoT during less intensive moments/moments where we can be sure they will be enough to keep our team alive, and we use Grand Healing in addition to Energy Orbs as layered HoTs during moments where there is more intensive damage output. There are some exceptions to this, but generally what I have written here is the case for a large majority of encounters. Perhaps this isn't how all healers view their Orbs/Grand Healing, but in my opinion, using them in such a way is part of what sets skillful healers apart from the rest, and is a large part of high-end, REWARDING gameplay-- to be able to recognize the moments in every encounter where you will need to make healing output a greater priority, and understanding how to most effectively do this in a way that will also be most beneficial for the DDs and Tanks you are supporting.

What we really love about our Energy Orbs is that they accomplish both healing and offering sustain at the same time, which allows us more time to buff our DDs and debuff our enemies. For example, in Sunspire during the Lokkestiiz boss fight, during the add phases in particular: this part of the fight involves a LOT of movement, so what I like to do, and also find extremely effective in terms of both healing and group support, is to throw Orbs toward the direction that my DDs will be running to when killing the Storm Atronachs, while also paving the way there with Illustrious Healing. Both of these skills working together ensures that my group gets the best of both worlds-- healing AND sustain during a movement-heavy fight. Having all these layered HoTs also means I have lots of time to buff and debuff, so long as I play intelligently. I know that my several casts of Illustrious will cover my DDs that are moving from point A to point B, so now I have time to apply Minor Vulnerability on the Atro we are focusing before my HoTs fall off. I know that my several casts of Orbs will float through the group and heal everyone enough so that I can focus on throwing synergies for my DDs to use to proc their Lokkestiiz set, apply Alkosh, etc.

How this proposed change will affect this part of the Lokkestiiz boss fight: I can only have 1 Illustrious healing down at a time-- Where do I place it? First I put it around the Storm Atronach that my DDs are currently killing. I see that it's about to die, so perhaps I should now place it at the next Storm Atronach that my group will be running to? What if some of my DDs straggle behind the rest-- What if one of them accidentally misses blocking a meteor and takes heavy damage from it plus the Storm Bound DoT at the same time? What if another DD does not follow the group because he wanted to dodge a different way through the Glacial Fist AoE to not get killed by it? Well, I've already placed my Illustrious on the next Storm Atro so, unfortunately, the DDs that fell behind/went another way have no HoTs on them. I could throw an Orb in the direction of the DD that took the meteor hit, but someone who needed it for sustain/the Major Slayer buff just popped it, so he loses out on that HoT now too. Then what about my DD who dodged the other way to avoid Glacial Fist-- what if he's got Storm Bound on him too, or perhaps some other kind of AoE damage is around him? I could put my Illustrious on him, but then my DDs killing the Storm Atro have no more HoTs on them. I could throw him an Orb, but what if it's immediately popped?

My thoughts on this are extremely jumbled at the moment, so I hope my fellow healers will be able to help me out here/people will understand the point I'm trying to make: We use Orbs and Grand Healing together for all our healing needs, not just one or the other exclusively.

We do not consider Grand Healing a "hybrid spammable hybrid HoT". We consider it a strong HoT that, if used intelligently and at the right moments, will provide consistent healing over time when and where we need it, perhaps in multiple places at once which is essential during movement-heavy fights. We do not use it as a spammable at all because it does nothing more than heal, and we as end-game healers are not JUST healers-- we are buffers, debuffers, and synergy providers. We are the ultimate supporters of our team, and we do this by using a multitude of skills in our kits, not just heal spamming.

Now, I really don't mind the change to Grand Healing and only being able to have one down at a time. What I do not like alongside this change is the "1 orb at a time" change, particularly for the reasons I mentioned above (in movement heavy fights, what HoTs are we supposed to provide our group then as we move from one location to the next, perhaps not all together?), though also because they play such a huge role when it comes to helping our DDs sustain.

How end-game healers currently use Orbs when it comes to offering sustain: We throw lots of them out at once because we know our DDs might not be in a position to take them right away, might be on Orb cooldown, might be saving the proc to perfectly time their Major Slayer, etc.

How the proposed Orb change will impact sustain: We can only have one Orb active at a time, which means we should no longer cast multiple Orbs in a row because this may not give our DDs enough time to synergize them. This means we will be throwing way fewer Orbs in total, and DDs will be receiving way less than before because only one may exist at a time. We also can no longer rely on multiple Orbs to provide the HoTs we need, which means we will have to spend more time casting pure-healing skills, and so will have even less time to throw Orbs.

In short, I think these changes will turn end-game healers more into "pure" heal spammers, and will greatly impact the other ways in which we can support our team. Regarding the proposed Grand Healing change in particular-- I think it would be fine on its own, but NOT if the "1 orb at a time" change makes it live alongside it. I also think that "1 orb at a time" will severely, negatively impact sustain in trials because we will not be able to provide our DDs with all that they need.

Again, my thoughts here are a bit jumbled, and I invite everyone, especially other end-game healers, to provide their own thoughts as well. Thanks for reading.
Edited by stileanima on July 7, 2019 5:50AM
Platform: PC/NA
Guild: Calamity
Role: Healer/Damage Dealer

YouTube | Twitch
  • DjMuscleboy02
    DjMuscleboy02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, top fan here, orbs definitely should not be limited to 1 at a time.
    Brodor - PC NA - ESO's only pure bodybuilding guild
    Hodor, but stronger
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TLDR; But definitely shouldn't be limiting orbs this hard. I don't usually get angry over patch notes, but this change alone, not even considering everything else I hate; is infuriating.
    I play this game a little bit I guess
  • Mygalomorpea
    Mygalomorpea
    ✭✭✭
    Combination of the orbs nerf and healing springs nerf will completely demolish current healer meta. Not change reliance from 1 skill to another, completely destroy it. Sets like SPC will become even less often used because over healing will be even more difficult.
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will result in more elite dungeon teams, more vote to kick situations in pledges and more lower level and new players being told they cannot join guild and friend groups in harder content.

Reconsider due to community impact.
    Edited by merevie on July 7, 2019 6:00AM
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Horrible change, pray it doesn’t go live.
  • fioskal
    fioskal
    ✭✭✭
    I have nothing really to add to this, but I fully agree.

I honestly don't mind most of the healing changes, but having only 1 orb active at a time is, IMO, going to negatively impact healers and their groups (from casual to hardcore).
    -Fiona-
    PC - NA
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally yes.

Why change the healer identity so severely and suddenly for seemingly no reason?

now it'll be about filling your bars with as many different hots as possible and just sustaining healing output, vs. intelligently timing buffs vs layered hots (As you said, albeit with greater detail).

give this a week on its, let's see what happens in vso, hof hardmode, mol hardmode, cloudrest hardmode, sunspire hardmode, etc.

The grand healing change, sure, no reason for it, but sure.

but 1 orb at a time?

part of me feels that's an attempt to improve performance due to the effects that come with the orb
    but come, on.

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stileanima wrote: »
    I really don't mind the change to Grand Healing and only being able to have one down at a time.

I don't think either healing change is acceptable, together or on their own.

First, keep in mind that in addition to no longer being stackable, it also lost 44% of its strength. Think of situations where an intense amount of healing for a large number of players over a long period of time is required (e.g., AG execute).

The positional inflexibility of 1-Spring-only is a problem too. Even if 1-orb were to be reverted, that slow travel time (even slower with U23) means it's not always a suitable solution if you need to heal two positions.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Evito
    Evito
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to try vCR+3 with altars costing hp, grand healing nerfed to hell and 1 orb.
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    healers be going hybrid now for that ring of preservation hot
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what's funny is I used the resto staff and healing changes to prove that the leaked notes were false due to their being so severe.

Guess I was wrong \(-_-)/
  • Halke
    Halke
    ✭✭✭
    My fear is that this is to cause more "rescue" healing. Do they really expect me to vine through hell and high water, on heavens knows which ally the skill will target, to try to save someone I hopefully had on my screen when they needed me? This is a joke, right?

I snarked some in discords about "what do I do now as a kite healer," but honestly?! Goodbye my health to cast Altar. Better.... Shrooms to heal me up? Oh stack moved! Gotta replace my dollar store version of Ritual. Wait my one Orb got synergized by the off tank!!! Let me get into group to throw a new one? Just one. Oh wait! DPS in danger! Let me go flying across the map to fix it! I guess I will Combat Prayer this one guy while I am here? Maybe give him an Orb? They are cheaper I guess >//>

I do hope they explain this. Maybe it is a PvP thing?
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    orb spam zergs were always a dream of mine, but them being gone is the least significant aspect of this change...
  • Stormitor
    Stormitor
    ✭✭
    In this thread, I would like to discuss this proposed change to Necrotic Orb from an end-game healer's perspective, and I invite other healers (and DDs and Tanks) from all playstyles to do the same. I'll be extremely forward-- if you can't already tell from the title, I think this is an absolutely horrible change, and I would like to offer my reasoning as to why. At the same time, I'd also like to hear others' feedback about this, be they for or against the change. Or to put it another way, if there is anyone out there who thinks that this would be a good, productive change to healing in ESO, please try to convince me.

Now, for me, this also directly relates to the Grand Healing change, so I will be discussing both here and will try my best to give true examples of how the two skills coexist together other on live, and how I think they might affect healing in the future, should the changes actually go live.

Firstly: There has been no Dev comment in the patch notes about why this change has been proposed. Does ZoS think that Energy Orbs heal too much? I'm not sure they do since "1 orb at a time" applies even to the damage morph, which hardly any healer uses in end-game PvE. That being the case, does ZoS think that they make sustain in trials too easy? I, and I'm sure many other healers, would like to know the answer to this/the reasoning behind it.

I would like to share with you the mindset of most, if not all, end-game healers regarding Energy Orbs and Grand Healing:

We use Energy Orbs primarily for the sustain and synergies they provide to our DDs and Tanks, and additionally for their healing done. We do not take the damage morph of Orbs because we use the healing morph as our primary HoT during less intensive moments/moments where we can be sure they will be enough to keep our team alive, and we use Grand Healing in addition to Energy Orbs as layered HoTs during moments where there is more intensive damage output. There are some exceptions to this, but generally what I have written here is the case for a large majority of encounters. Perhaps this isn't how all healers view their Orbs/Grand Healing, but in my opinion, using them in such a way is part of what sets skillful healers apart from the rest, and is a large part of high-end, REWARDING gameplay-- to be able to recognize the moments in every encounter where you will need to make healing output a greater priority, and understanding how to most effectively do this in a way that will also be most beneficial for the DDs and Tanks you are supporting.

What we really love about our Energy Orbs is that they accomplish both healing and offering sustain at the same time, which allows us more time to buff our DDs and debuff our enemies. For example, in Sunspire during the Lokkestiiz boss fight, during the add phases in particular: this part of the fight involves a LOT of movement, so what I like to do, and also find extremely effective in terms of both healing and group support, is to throw Orbs toward the direction that my DDs will be running to when killing the Storm Atronachs, while also paving the way there with Illustrious Healing. Both of these skills working together ensures that my group gets the best of both worlds-- healing AND sustain during a movement-heavy fight. Having all these layered HoTs also means I have lots of time to buff and debuff, so long as I play intelligently. I know that my several casts of Illustrious will cover my DDs that are moving from point A to point B, so now I have time to apply Minor Vulnerability on the Atro we are focusing before my HoTs fall off. I know that my several casts of Orbs will float through the group and heal everyone enough so that I can focus on throwing synergies for my DDs to use to proc their Lokkestiiz set, apply Alkosh, etc.

How this proposed change will affect this part of the Lokkestiiz boss fight: I can only have 1 Illustrious healing down at a time-- Where do I place it? First I put it around the Storm Atronach that my DDs are currently killing. I see that it's about to die, so perhaps I should now place it at the next Storm Atronach that my group will be running to? What if some of my DDs straggle behind the rest-- What if one of them accidentally misses blocking a meteor and takes heavy damage from it plus the Storm Bound DoT at the same time? What if another DD does not follow the group because he wanted to dodge a different way through the Glacial Fist AoE to not get killed by it? Well, I've already placed my Illustrious on the next Storm Atro so, unfortunately, the DDs that fell behind/went another way have no HoTs on them. I could throw an Orb in the direction of the DD that took the meteor hit, but someone who needed it for sustain/the Major Slayer buff just popped it, so he loses out on that HoT now too. Then what about my DD who dodged the other way to avoid Glacial Fist-- what if he's got Storm Bound on him too, or perhaps some other kind of AoE damage is around him? I could put my Illustrious on him, but then my DDs killing the Storm Atro have no more HoTs on them. I could throw him an Orb, but what if it's immediately popped?

My thoughts on this are extremely jumbled at the moment, so I hope my fellow healers will be able to help me out here/people will understand the point I'm trying to make: We use Orbs and Grand Healing together for all our healing needs, not just one or the other exclusively.

We do not consider Grand Healing a "hybrid spammable hybrid HoT". We consider it a strong HoT that, if used intelligently and at the right moments, will provide consistent healing over time when and where we need it, perhaps in multiple places at once which is essential during movement-heavy fights. We do not use it as a spammable at all because it does nothing more than heal, and we as end-game healers are not JUST healers-- we are buffers, debuffers, and synergy providers. We are the ultimate supporters of our team, and we do this by using a multitude of skills in our kits, not just heal spamming.

Now, I really don't mind the change to Grand Healing and only being able to have one down at a time. What I do not like alongside this change is the "1 orb at a time" change, particularly for the reasons I mentioned above (in movement heavy fights, what HoTs are we supposed to provide our group then as we move from one location to the next, perhaps not all together?), though also because they play such a huge role when it comes to helping our DDs sustain.

How end-game healers currently use Orbs when it comes to offering sustain: We throw lots of them out at once because we know our DDs might not be in a position to take them right away, might be on Orb cooldown, might be saving the proc to perfectly time their Major Slayer, etc.

How the proposed Orb change will impact sustain: We can only have one Orb active at a time, which means we should no longer cast multiple Orbs in a row because this may not give our DDs enough time to synergize them. This means we will be throwing way fewer Orbs in total, and DDs will be receiving way less than before because only one may exist at a time. We also can no longer rely on multiple Orbs to provide the HoTs we need, which means we will have to spend more time casting pure-healing skills, and so will have even less time to throw Orbs.

In short, I think these changes will turn end-game healers more into "pure" heal spammers, and will greatly impact the other ways in which we can support our team. Regarding the proposed Grand Healing change in particular-- I think it would be fine on its own, but NOT if the "1 orb at a time" change makes it live alongside it. I also think that "1 orb at a time" will severely, negatively impact sustain in trials because we will not be able to provide our DDs with all that they need.

Again, my thoughts here are a bit jumbled, and I invite everyone, especially other end-game healers, to provide their own thoughts as well. Thanks for reading.

Well said, I mean took all the words out of my mouth, what I will add is just situations that will be close to imposible, and honestly can't even imagine how less exp Healers will be dealing with this.

Lets start with vAS, I can't imagine myself being anyhow able to envelop all 8 DD's with 1 healing spring and 1 orb, it is just imposible, someone will come at this with an argument: but Storm they buff the *** out of Rapid regen / Mutagen. Well yes they do, but unlike Healing Springs and Orbs we can't control on what target muatgen goes.

then we have vCR, the amount of layered healing that we have to do to be able to outheal a person that is carrying the Ice and has sphere dots on him will turn into a certain death every single time that a person will find themselfs into that situation, the worse part is with the Healing debuff in execute phase, 1 Spring and 1 Orb from each healer will never ever be enough to get people up from the healing debuff.

Then we are going into older trials, vAA, the Stone Attro starts stomping we will be death, Call lightning = death, the mage on HM execute = death

vSO, all the poison, the call lightnings, for this one I am even scared to think about the situation

vHRC, first boss with all the winds = death, Warrior meteor shower = death

vMoL last boss , vHoF first boss, last boss, vBRP with the high incoming damage.

A lot of situations may seems so easy because of the healing that we are layering and with the change on Grand Healing and Orbs won't be posible at all anymore, a few groups will find a way, we always do ( the ones that don't quit playing ) and the rest of the Players that don't have the experience needed will end up never clearing Trials, it is a long step from Making Healers more effective into making them utter garbage.
    Edited by Stormitor on July 7, 2019 6:49AM
    Guild: Unchained Animals
  • Deep_01
    Deep_01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raid groups now: "LF 2 tanks 6 DDs 4 healers"
    @Deepan on PC-EU
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    healers be wearing sets like draugrs rest
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't agree more with this, there is no adequate reason for this change to go live.
  • astraelis7
    astraelis7
    ✭✭✭
    1 orb across 8-11 PEOPLE?!?!?!?! I am literally in disbelief. Healers were barely relevant before, with many people claiming it's a "trial only" role but now people will have even less of a reason to take them anywhere when we don't even offer synergies or effective healing - what am I meant to do? Just place HoTs and hope for the best??? What if I recast the orb before it gets taken? It disappears? I literally have to wait until I see that it has been synergized to send a new one? And I'm still meant to keep everyone's synergy on cooldown?? What are they trying to accomplish here because I truly do not understand.

If they were really THAT concerned about overhealing then they could have reduced the healing coefficients for those abilities. I agree that the Springs change in itself is bearable, but one orb at a time... I cannot even begin to fathom why they thought this was a good idea.

Also vAS resto staff rip??? Sad. It's like taking away Maelstrom from DDs....
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. The healing orbs nerf is not a sustain nerf, it still works as sustain tool (which requires more coordination, though).

2. the healing orb nerf is the consequence of the grand healing nerf (and vigor nerf). I understand that this may be shocking, but let's be honest: a good healer is defined by his or her reactive healing abilities in most other games. In ESO, the sheer amount of background HoTs blurred what healing is all about.

3. Of course, this has dire consequences for PvE raids. It will take time to adjust, and healers will have to be 120% direct when speaking to raid leaders who are too ignorant to change tactics accordingly. ESO raids are rather DD-centric, and with these changes, the needs and expectations of the healers will play a greater role.

4. That being said, the changes are probably made for PvP, where everyone drowns in background healing, and where the server dies because of it. Ironically, PvP raidleaders will adjust more easily, and good ballgroups will be almost unstoppable again DESPITE the loss of their main healing tool.
    Edited by Thraben on July 7, 2019 7:22AM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Corpier
    Corpier
    ✭✭✭✭
    The orbs and springs changes are abysmal. If this goes live, it will be worse than Morrowind.

Start discontinuing your recurring subscriptions and don't buy anything from the crown store!

Vote with your wallets and tell ZOS you don't approve of these changes!
    @Corpier | PC/NA CP1300+

My Characters:
    AD
    A Príorí: Highelf - Magicka Sorcerer
    DC
    Corpier: Orc - Stamina Nightblade
    Corpier: Orc - Stamina Sorcerer
    EP
    A Fortiori: Darkelf - Magicka Nightblade
    A Posteriori: Darkelf - Magicka Dragonknight
    Bertha Ironsides: Imperial - Dragonknight Tank
    Corpier: Breton - Magicka Templar
    Corpíer: Orc - Stamina Templar
    CorpÌer: Orc - Stamina Warden
    Corpier: Orc - Stamina Necromancer
    Logen'Bloody-Nine'Fingers: Orc - Stamina Dragonknight
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a healer, I was worried 1st, and then, I just see a new challenge now.
    But it's gonna be hard to heal with all the dmg in some dlc and trial..
    They just nerf every single heal ability from weapon.
    So we've to rely more on class skill ? So.. Templar, Warden, Necro and that is ? Eeek..

Gonna be even harder to heal as NB u_u
    But, I'll be patient. CP are in re*work, so they probably have plan for the heavy dmg ability on the game.
    If not, well, heavy for everyone ?

Anyway, wait & see.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might not be able or have the time to put it as eloquently as the OP did, but I fully agree with his reasoning. This change, along with the Grand Healing change, are both horrid from a sustain viewpoint and a gameplay viewpoint.

If the devs feel like these abilities are overperforming, don't artificially gimp them, but rather increase their cost of use. If tanks, healers and DDs are going to fight over using a single necrotic orb and a single spear shard, it will encourage and virtually force a meta of "templar healer only" rather than the one we currently have, where every class has a toolset capable of healing.

Furthermore, but as an aside, Grand Healing in its current form is a necessary HoT for many veteran trial scenarios, including but not limited to; the vAA Mage execute phase, the Assembly General execute phase, the Lokkestiiz post-beam phase and the Zhaj'hassa shield phase. If this change is pushed for, healing will become considerably harder not just for the top dog meta chasers, but for the more casual players, too. Progression groups that enjoy the challenge of completing vet trials on their normal settings will be pushed out of the picture entirely, and this will ultimately lead to a bigger divide between the top players and and lower ranks of the endgame PvE community.

Please reconsider these changes. Thank you.
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »
    Anyway, wait & see.
    Personally, I take issue with the attitude of "wait & see."

Why? Because it encourages whatever is being done. A passive attitude amounts to agreement, so I think that it is the job of everyone that disagrees with something to voice their concern over it. Hell, I rarely use these forums myself, but this change is disconcerting.

So I will speak up. And I will do my part to make sure I and those that I agree with in regards to this are heard.
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @stileanima

I agree with u and i know that this will just mean that tanks need to throw more orbs then we allready do.

The changes to Springs are .......i dunno.........as long as zos realizes that this changes will make clearing harder content much worse for the average and below player.

I think that will hit live unchanged, sadly.
  • BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    I really don't mind the change to Grand Healing and only being able to have one down at a time.

I don't think either healing change is acceptable, together or on their own.

First, keep in mind that in addition to no longer being stackable, it also lost 44% of its strength. Think of situations where an intense amount of healing for a large number of players over a long period of time is required (e.g., AG execute).

The positional inflexibility of 1-Spring-only is a problem too. Even if 1-orb were to be reverted, that slow travel time (even slower with U23) means it's not always a suitable solution if you need to heal two positions.

Yeah I guess good luck, nice try to the TTT Progs. executes are going to be mass wipers
  • wills43b14_ESO
    wills43b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, the springs change is kinda cool and reinforced throwing more orbs to newer healers... except only one orb can be thrown at at time. This is pretty much unbearable atm considering these are by far the two primary sources of heals. If we even begin to think about vHoF HM, you can't generally sustain orb spam, so healing springs is used instead as it will carry you through exhaustion until it's nearly hitting your entire health bar. One VERY nerfed hot from springs and one orb every other cast that will pretty much get popped instantly won't be enough. Another useful heal to look at is combat prayer.... except combat prayer can only heal 6 people. Buffing stacking dps w/ this skill has always been a contentious point since it can often just overwrite the buffs of those that already had it, but aside from that it's not realistic to encourage a healer to use it as a spammable heal, especially while dps/tanks are reacting to mechanics or moving form point A to point B.

Frankly, there just doesn't seem to be enough healing potential to outheal some of the mechanics in trials (lokkestiiz beam phase, Naavi soul tear, serpent poison, Assembly General exhaustion, vCR baneful, vCR frost + the now unblockable orb dots (also a pain point for our GH progression group right now since dodge rolling that much is impractical and will get you killed by creeper entangles). There other numerous examples, but without some kind of spammable heal healers are in big trouble. Sustain is already painful as well before removing orbs from the equation.... groups may have to rely more on magplar spear shards for sustain now more than ever assuming mag and stam are somewhat equal in dps. This creates less dps diversity overall in groups and reinforces "metas" that ZOS seemed very keen on breaking in the PTS notes.
    Godslayer
    Tick Tock Tormentor
    Gryphon Heart
    Immortal Redeemer
  • wills43b14_ESO
    wills43b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who has DPSed AND healed, having orbs makes a world of difference in what dps can do in a trial. I don't think making dps more self reliant on self healing and building tons of sustain is the correct move, as it turns our healers into glorified buff/debuffers (basically dps in specialized sets). On that note, I do like the introduction of the Martial Knowledge and Ze'en set if they do indeed buff damage for the group. Time will tell, but that is a GOOD way to turn dps into more support dps rather than having to build in your own heals and sustain.
    Godslayer
    Tick Tock Tormentor
    Gryphon Heart
    Immortal Redeemer
  • Xogath
    Xogath
    ✭✭✭
    This entire update is just laughable.
  • Nefas
    Nefas
    Class Representative
    The healing changes are probably the most ridiculous ones in the otherwise okay patch notes. Orbs should definitely not have a limit. No sane player in PvP or PvE would ever want this change to go through. If this proposed change isn't out after Week 1 PTS or at the absolute latest before Scalebreaker hits live, then there is no point in asking for player feedback anymore.

Just like the proposed shield-cast time change, the Grand Healing/Orb changes should be scrapped immediately.
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a pvp point of view the changes make sense but i really fear this will be insane. Healing will be really troublesome now in some trials and so far the only way to bypass this would be if dds would slot healing monster sets.
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23