Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Alliance Lock Ruining PvP for Many

• Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Icky wrote: »
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Icky wrote: »
    Translation:
    "I was on my red helping my yellow friends boost AP for emp and now it's my turn to be boosted and we cant switch factions".

Don't forget the tinfoil hat on your way out ^^

Dont forget the hat of naivety on your way out.

Not naive, I just know that all the reasons people bring out why faction locks are good, had little to no impact on the actual outcome of the campaign.

And if I play on my EP character, nothing prevents me from helping my friends on another faction. Alliance locks doesn´t prevent any of the issues that "pro-faction lock" brings up

Nah, I disagree.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casarion wrote: »
    therift wrote: »
    Beardimus wrote: »
    It would also be another thing if Shor actually had any population to act as an alternative, but its 0 bars 90% of the day. Some compromise would be nice, hopefully the RPers can see past their fantasies and just let people play the game the way its been played for years.

Basically let the cheats keep cheating? No thanks. The change has made a positive differnrce already and all the 'sky is falling' nonsense from the anti lock camp hasn't happened.

The only downside is folls with tri-toons need to get organised with their mates. It's not that hard. Adapt and overcome. Move along the change curve.

The cheats? Imagine thinking that people actually hop factions to sneak "intel". No one does that, and even if some random did, it never makes a difference. The map flips from groups, not the 100 man zergs that get wiped from an organized 12 man, and fast at that.

You can't just change such a crucial part of the game after so many years and expect people to just go with it for the sake of faction pride. Most people have played at least two factions and invested thousands of hours between different characters, and you're just gonna come out of no where and say I can't play that character essentially for a month? Does that not seem radical to any of you? Like I've said 5x now, why not be reasonable and implement a solution that pleases both sides rather than doing such a radical change?

1) Faction lock did not 'come out of nowhere' ZoS warned a year ago that reintroduction was being considered. Granted, the discussions leading to ZoS's decision are found in the Alliance War subforum, so it'easily missed, but the warning was in the release notes for the previous chapter.

ZoS stated they would monitor Alliance loyalty. This was a result of extensive reports of behaviors made possible by 'faction-hopping' that defeated/bypassed fundamental PvP/Cyrodiil game design. In fact, ZoS requested reports of two of those behaviors. Apprantly, after two years of reports and a year of ZoS 'monitoring', faction lock reintroduction is necessary.

2) The issue is not 'gathering intel'.

Cool, but that's not my point. It doesn't matter how much notice they give, they're screwing over anyone who doesn't play just one faction. Like what Bagon said, you're alienating that entire audience because everyone is so paranoid about faction hoppers. At least think on the solution that I came up with, because as many as these RPers are happy, there are just as many who are disappointed.

I don't disagree with you.

Several players have stated that when faction lock was removed previously, ZoS encouraged creation of characters of differing Alliances to 'play with your friends', and they did so.

These players are rightfully aggrieved, and being compelled to switch to a different campaign format may be unsatisfactory.

Yeah, its a shame other people can't at the very least empathize with our viewpoint and think about it reasonably. I'm not sure what platform you're on, but on Xbox Vivec Is the only campaign with any population. These people saying "Oh, just go play a different campaign don't realize that Shor is 0 bars most of the day. It's hilarious seeing people make that argument, knowing its impossible.

Don't you see the irony with that statement? If as you say there are hordes of people that hate faction lock, couldn't that horde of people head to Shor? Wouldn't that make Shor the most popular server and make the 30 day server die, since everyone hates faction lock?
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk if you people would play more than one character then you wouldnt be for faction locks just saying :)
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    Idk if you people would play more than one character then you wouldnt be for faction locks just saying :)

I have 32 characters, next.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I got over 20 characters on both pc and ps4 and i support faction locks, next.
  • UglyTriangle
    UglyTriangle
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it's one of the better changes lately. That crap was annoying. Pick one and stick with it.
    Bobo the Cowardly | Warden | Healer/MagDPS
    Spooky-Scary-Skeletons | Necromancer | MagDPS
    Incoherent-Screeching | Nightblade | MagDPS
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

13 characters, still only play DC.

Also I really don't understand why the OP hates on RPers, and what that has to do with the price of tea in China. Thought this thread was discussing Cyrodiil, not Riften.
    Edited by BigBragg on June 16, 2019 9:10PM
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos needs to add an unlocked 30 day cp campaign then everyone is happy
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »

As long as there aren't leaderboards or rewards, sure. I'd be curious to see what all these people who claim they just want to be able to play with friends would do. If it truly is just about that, they'll go play on their various toons there and be happy with that.

Maybe a total of 4 30-day campaigns? Faction locked CP and no CP, and unlocked CP and no CP, with leaderboards only on the locked campaigns?
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    faction jumpers have ruined PvP for way more people

Really easy to say and hard to back up. Considering the first reason Zos gave for brining back faction locks was people asked for it. If it was really that your "faction jumpers" were an issue it would have been irrelevant that people had asked for it and Zos would have had a very solid reason for bringing it back. That alone seems discredit your comment.

In the release notes for Update 18, ZoS specifically stated that they were aware of the concerns about Alliance loyalty and would continue to monitor faction behavior. This developer comment was related to extensive threads regarding exploits made possible by faction change. Additionally, in some of the threads which documented the abuses, ZoS requested player reports on two specific 'faction-hop' behaviors. In that context, it is clearly understood that Zenimax has been monitoring specific behaviors and considering reintroduction of faction locks for more than a year.

If Zos had truly come up with strong compelling evidence that thre was exploiting or a noticeable affect on the campaign outcome or similar actual issue they would have not lead off with that players had asked for this change when mentioning the reason.

Yes, Zos did make a statement in the patch notes of May last year they would be monitoring the situation, but I have yet to see any thread actually "documenting" anything showing actual real issues.

However, the most compelling evidence that Zos does not truly think their is a real issue is they left a campaign without faction lock. It would seem to me that would be complete negligence to leave a means for people tp pull their stunts if they truly felt there was a real issue, if they really had evidence.. It really is that simple.

I think this is more of an experiment.

1) ZoS isn't going to report whatever they discovered during the supposed 'monitoring' period. They rarely report progress on bugs, let alone alleged exploits.

2) In one if the live shows ZoS put out before Elsweyr release, one of the devs (Rob? Brian?) stated they were reintroducing faction-locked on a limited basis with the new campaigns, that it is one of the global parameters they may turn on when creating a new campaign, and they could 'disable it' if warranted.

I think that ZoS has responded to extensive player lobbying, has received a number of valid documentations of exploits, observed some things they didn't like, and decided the easiest thing to do was throw it all back at the player base.

They changed nothing about the campaigns. A true experiment would have paired identical campaigns with one locked and the other not. It seems that instead of addressing the one or two exploitive behaviors enabled by faction-hopping (for which ZoS was given innumerable possible solutions)... they punted.

It's a shame, really. I got what I wanted, but it prove to be a pyrrhic victory.
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only run AD, so faction lock doesn't impact me personally. You know what else didn't impact me personally? Not having faction lock. Literally never. So a couple of times someone snagged our scroll and ran to the other enemy team. Guess what? Still happened the other night, sooooo....

Granted I'm not on every moment of every day, so maybe I'm missing something.

This point is bad. I've explained in the Alliance War forum why this point is bad and you're actually arguing that it's ok to cheat. Faction lock isnt going to completely eliminate cheating but it is going to curve it alot more now since there are punishments by having that guy not be able to play with his friends for 30 days. Also with faction lock it isolates players for doing this less so it's really easy to report the guy who is cheating.

At some point we need to start curbing the cheating and we have to start somewhere. No one anti faction lock has ever made a suggestion of how to curve it with non faction locks so really you're a selfish lot only thinking about your multi faction characters.
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IronWooshu wrote: »
    I only run AD, so faction lock doesn't impact me personally. You know what else didn't impact me personally? Not having faction lock. Literally never. So a couple of times someone snagged our scroll and ran to the other enemy team. Guess what? Still happened the other night, sooooo....

This point is bad. I've explained in the Alliance War forum why this point is bad and you're actually arguing that it's ok to cheat. Faction lock isnt going to completely eliminate cheating but it is going to curve it alot more now since there are punishments by having that guy not be able to play with his friends for 30 days. Also with faction lock it isolates players for doing this less so it's really easy to report the guy who is cheating.

At some point we need to start curbing the cheating and we have to start somewhere. No one anti faction lock has ever made a suggestion of how to curve it with non faction locks so really you're a selfish lot only thinking about your multi faction characters.

Faction locks don't punish this kind of "cheating". Playes are locked into a faction regardless of their ingame actions and it only punishes a behaviour that was previously allowed and even encouraged.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rianai wrote: »

Faction locks don't punish this kind of "cheating". Playes are locked into a faction regardless of their ingame actions and it only punishes a behaviour that was previously allowed and even encouraged.

Bypassing scroll mechanics and inflating AP gains are two behaviors inhibited by faction-lock that most certainly are not permitted, let alone encouraged; ZoS has actually requested reports of these behaviors since they defeat the competitive design of the game.
    Edited by therift on June 16, 2019 6:13PM
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you even mean with "bypassing scroll mechanics"? And how exactly is it inhibited by faction locks?
    And with "inflating AP" gain you mean a grp of players flipping the entire map, then logging to another faction and flipping it back? I have never witnessed this on a 30-day campiagn since it only works on dead campaigns. So if it happened, it happened on the 7-day campaign. Guess which one isn't locked ...

Btw there is very little competitive design about Cyrodiil.
    Edited by Rianai on June 16, 2019 6:20PM
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What do you even mean with "bypassing scroll mechanics"? And how exactly is it inhibited by faction locks?
    And with "inflating AP" gain you mean a grp of players flipping the entire map, then logging to another faction and flipping it back? I have never witnessed on a 30-day campiagn since it only works on dead campaigns. So if it happened, it happened on the 7-day campaign. Guess which one isn't locked ...

Btw there is very little competitive design about Cyrodiil.

I am purposely being vague in order to avoid broadcasting two exploits.

There are three year's worth of threads documenting these behaviors and requesting reintroduction of faction-lock, along with comments from ZoS.

You will find them in the Alliance War & Imperial City section if you really need to know.

Btw, your and my opinion on the competitive design of Cyrodiil are irrelevant. When the game designer states that the competitive design is being defeated... that is the only opinion that matters.
    Edited by therift on June 16, 2019 6:28PM
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only threads i can find about exploits regarding scrolls are about players getting into keeps/behind scroll gates via unintended mechanics -- something that isn't impacted by faction locks at all. Other complaints regarding scrolls are just about players not immediately putting them into keeps/temples, which isn't exploiting and not impacted by faction locks either.

And since locks are supposed to inhibit the exploits you are talking about, there shouldn't be an issue with more accurate explanation, right?
    Edited by Rianai on June 16, 2019 6:36PM
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Waht. Where am I arguing that cheating is good? All I'm saying is people who want to behave a certain way still will. And so what if you have to then go get the scroll from another team, omg no not more PvP related things to do, please anything but that!

You want to talk about "cheating"? How about the fact that necro's can pull you out of semi cracked open keep doors, and do repeatedly in some cases (like last night). Or enemy players getting in to your keep in a not intended way? Should your team be punished if your keep doesn't flag? But please, lets all die on the hill of what happens with scrolls on the rare occasion. If you want to focus on one mechanic of "war" that you don't like, ya better start a dam list of all the things that happen that aren't "fair" war tactics, and how many of them can or cannot be stopped by faction lock.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »

My guess is that a 30 day unlocked campaign would be dead all the time.

Despite all the cryhards on the forum that make threads like this one, most of the folks that I interact with in game are very happy with the faction locks. The ones that weren’t - some trolls made a lot of noise in zone chat before the update telling everyone how they were all moving to the unlocked campaign - are still playing in the locked campaign too. When I ask them about it they just tell me that they don’t want to play in the unlocked campaign since it’s dead...
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only threads i can find about exploits regarding scrolls are about players getting into keeps/behind scroll gates via unintended mechanics -- something that isn't impacted by faction locks at all. Other complaints regarding scrolls are just about players not immediately putting them into keeps/temples, which isn't exploiting and not impacted by faction locks either.

And since locks are supposed to inhibit the exploits you are talking about, there shouldn't be an issue with more accurate explanation, right?

Not all the campaigns are locked.
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But you already stated those exploits are well documented anyway, so players who want to exploit will know already, no? And i mean, faction locks change absolutely nothing about how scrolls function, so how can they impact any possible exploit in this regard?
    If it's just about flipping stuff back and forth, then that didn't happen on the main campaigns, so if the goal was to prevent this behaviour, they should have locked the 7-day campaign.
    Edited by Rianai on June 16, 2019 6:53PM
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    But you already stated those exploits are well documented anyway, so players who want to exploit will know already, no? And i mean, faction locks change absolutely nothing about how scrolls function, so how can they impact any possible exploit in this regard?
    If it's just about flipping stuff back and forth, then that didn't happen on the main campaigns, so if the goal was to prevent this behaviour, they should have locked the 7-day campaign.

I used the word 'inhibit' for a reason.

Ultimately, the only thing that matters is ZoS's opinion on how extensive these two particular exploits have been. They are the only ones with facts. My PvP guild submitted at least seven videos in 2017 documenting the behavior that ZoS considered exploitive, according to their statement, and many more in 2018.

Whether we players feel that faction-lock is the correct solution is largely secondary to the fact that reintroduction of faction-lock will be here for some time. ZoS gathered data and monitored behavior for at least a year without faction-lock. Perhaps they will do the same with faction-lock.

As I noted earlier, players offered a number of possible solutions to the two exploitive behaviors that earned ZoS's ire. Faction-lock reintroduction had the widest support and is the easiest solution to implement.

Incidentally, out of some 800 guildies active in the faction-locked campaign, none have reported interference with recapturing scrolls. It is far too early to determine anything concrete. I intend to reserve judgment for at least two more Updates.
  • sunshineflame
    sunshineflame
    ✭✭✭
    Play another campaign
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

you can get forum warning and even banns if you openly talk about, teach, or make threads about how to perform exploits and cheats.
    we aint going to openly tell you about the cheats and the things that have caused locked campaigns.
    Edited by Gilvoth on June 16, 2019 8:02PM
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn’t this talked about for months? Cause I’m pretty sure it’s nobody else’s fault it yours if you ignored it and went on a different faction than your buddies.

Edit: sincerely, an RPer lmao
    Edited by Reistr_the_Unbroken on June 16, 2019 9:22PM
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This change has all the AP boosters in an uproar! Lol, I'm loving it!
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction locks are horrible. Especially for PC-NA in Vivec. Hardly anyone plays in EP anymore. All my friends swapped over to DC. I want to play but honestly I just hope people come back to EP and bring all the good fights back.

</sarcasm>
    Ray
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    thedude33 wrote: »
    Beardimus wrote: »
    It would also be another thing if Shor actually had any population to act as an alternative, but its 0 bars 90% of the day. Some compromise would be nice, hopefully the RPers can see past their fantasies and just let people play the game the way its been played for years.

Basically let the cheats keep cheating? No thanks. The change has made a positive differnrce already and all the 'sky is falling' nonsense from the anti lock camp hasn't happened.

The only downside is folls with tri-toons need to get organised with their mates. It's not that hard. Adapt and overcome. Move along the change curve.

The cheats? Imagine thinking that people actually hop factions to sneak "intel". No one does that, and even if some random did, it never makes a difference. The map flips from groups, not the 100 man zergs that get wiped from an organized 12 man, and fast at that.

You can't just change such a crucial part of the game after so many years and expect people to just go with it for the sake of faction pride. Most people have played at least two factions and invested thousands of hours between different characters, and you're just gonna come out of no where and say I can't play that character essentially for a month? Does that not seem radical to any of you? Like I've said 5x now, why not be reasonable and implement a solution that pleases both sides rather than doing such a radical change?

1) Faction lock did not 'come out of nowhere' ZoS warned a year ago that reintroduction was being considered. Granted, the discussions leading to ZoS's decision are found in the Alliance War subforum, so it'easily missed, but the warning was in the release notes for the previous chapter.

ZoS stated they would monitor Alliance loyalty. This was a result of extensive reports of behaviors made possible by 'faction-hopping' that defeated/bypassed fundamental PvP/Cyrodiil game design. In fact, ZoS requested reports of two of those behaviors. Apprantly, after two years of reports and a year of ZoS 'monitoring', faction lock reintroduction is necessary.

2) The issue is not 'gathering intel'.

Cool, but that's not my point. It doesn't matter how much notice they give, they're screwing over anyone who doesn't play just one faction. Like what Bagon said, you're alienating that entire audience because everyone is so paranoid about faction hoppers. At least think on the solution that I came up with, because as many as these RPers are happy, there are just as many who are disappointed.

I don't disagree with you.

Several players have stated that when faction lock was removed previously, ZoS encouraged creation of characters of differing Alliances to 'play with your friends', and they did so.

These players are rightfully aggrieved, and being compelled to switch to a different campaign format may be unsatisfactory.

Yeah, its a shame other people can't at the very least empathize with our viewpoint and think about it reasonably. I'm not sure what platform you're on, but on Xbox Vivec Is the only campaign with any population. These people saying "Oh, just go play a different campaign don't realize that Shor is 0 bars most of the day. It's hilarious seeing people make that argument, knowing its impossible.

Don't you see the irony with that statement? If as you say there are hordes of people that hate faction lock, couldn't that horde of people head to Shor? Wouldn't that make Shor the most popular server and make the 30 day server die, since everyone hates faction lock?

How many times do you guys need to be told. On XNA outside of a few hours a day, Shor is dead. In off peak there's not really enough pop to support one server.

Quit trolling with this "suggestion".
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soo can my characters that are no longer playable be swapped to EP? Considering i invested time and money into them the least you could do is allow me to put all my characters on one alliance

• Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there are as many who feel as you do as you suggest, they could easily populate Shor. And it makes perfect sense to have the locked 30-day campaigns allocated to the folks who actually want to play the campaign. Shor's shorter duration meshes better with folks who want the freedom to switch sides at will.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    How many times do you guys need to be told. On XNA outside of a few hours a day, Shor is dead. In off peak there's not really enough pop to support one server.

Quit trolling with this "suggestion".
    Imryll wrote: »
    If there are as many who feel as you do as you suggest, they could easily populate Shor. And it makes perfect sense to have the locked 30-day campaigns allocated to the folks who actually want to play the campaign. Shor's shorter duration meshes better with folks who want the freedom to switch sides at will.

See above.
This discussion has been closed.