The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

PC-EU Server Update - April 11

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rereading the original post from Matt: this was a maintenance to set up the server SOFTWARE to recognize the "new" hardware when it is installed. The hardware isn't here yet. And next week, it won't be here for NA either.
    Edited by Sylvermynx on April 20, 2019 1:03AM
  • FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Rereading the original post from Matt: this was a maintenance to set up the server SOFTWARE to recognize the "new" hardware when it is installed. The hardware isn't here yet. And next week, it won't be here for NA either.

Well, you could read it that way, but I think the post is clear they have prepped the extra hardware, "We've been working very hard on prepping additional server hardware to accommodate our burgeoning player base, especially in the EU - and I'm very happy to say that we've done it much faster than anticipated."

It seems illogical they'd prep the extra hardware but not use it. Also, if the extra capacity was not there, then I don't see they'd remove the queue.

I simply think that we're butting up against the performance limitations of this game. Whether that's because ZOS do not want to spend on more kit, or if the engine has scaling limits that have been reached, we can't know, but I suspect we either have to put up with what we have today, or move to another game.
    Edited by FlyingSwan on April 20, 2019 10:32AM
  • DJfriede
    DJfriede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Hmm, I read it differently. Matt said: "We are wrapping up the work, and will have the additional capacity online for PC EU players before the upcoming Easter holiday weekend."

Sounds to me like they did indeed add the hardware.
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    Universe wrote: »
    The so-called server upgrade didn't improve anything.
    The performance is still very poor.
    Server: PC EU.

Yes.. Last night it was taking ages for me to travel from map to house, and wayshrine to wayshrine.

@ZOS_MattFiror, @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom - can we please have an official update on what has been done in yesterday's maintenance?
    • Is now the queue gone for good?
    Thank you all for your work!

There is a queuing system in place, I was logging onto the PC EU server at around 15:10 CET time today.
    and after I put my password in, just before the picture loaded, it flashed a timer in the background, then the picture jumped/hiccuped, as if it was loading again, in other words its hidden behind the pic as I logged in.

It looks like the PC EU server upgrade (that was put in place just the other day) can not handle the amount of logon's from ESO players.

Yep this is what I thought might happen, hide the queue behind the loading screen. Just cancelled my sub. May ask for a refund on Elsware if problems persist.

I played through Beta and stopped playing about 6 months after launch. A lot of the bugs that were reported then are still with us.

It's a shame, started to play and get into the game again, I may just leave and try again in a few more years.
  • FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killum wrote: »
    Universe wrote: »
    The so-called server upgrade didn't improve anything.
    The performance is still very poor.
    Server: PC EU.

Yes.. Last night it was taking ages for me to travel from map to house, and wayshrine to wayshrine.

@ZOS_MattFiror, @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom - can we please have an official update on what has been done in yesterday's maintenance?
    • Is now the queue gone for good?
    Thank you all for your work!

There is a queuing system in place, I was logging onto the PC EU server at around 15:10 CET time today.
    and after I put my password in, just before the picture loaded, it flashed a timer in the background, then the picture jumped/hiccuped, as if it was loading again, in other words its hidden behind the pic as I logged in.

It looks like the PC EU server upgrade (that was put in place just the other day) can not handle the amount of logon's from ESO players.

Yep this is what I thought might happen, hide the queue behind the loading screen. Just cancelled my sub. May ask for a refund on Elsware if problems persist.

So, you think there is still a queue in place, albeit obfuscated?

One thing I will say in ZOS' favour, when this queueing nonsense started, I raised a ticket explaining the situation and asking for a refund of my ESO Plus and my Elswery pre-order, and they responded and refunded both within 30 mins.

I learned a lesson here, as I'd bought a yearly sub in January, but I will be very careful with this game if I stick around.
  • LeinadOrarogep
    LeinadOrarogep
    ✭✭✭
    A simple update from ZOS, with an explanation about what has been done and what should we expect now would help clear up a lot of confusion and doubts.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NA server certainly doesn't feel any better yet.
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A simple update from ZOS, with an explanation about what has been done and what should we expect now would help clear up a lot of confusion and doubts.

Judging from previous comments in this thread, they could video everything they did and people still wouldn't be satisfied and hurl insults.
  • todokete
    todokete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys it's been 5 years of this and you never learn
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »

there are no improvements on eu except thereis no more login queue.
  • FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »

there are no improvements on eu except thereis no more login queue.

Agreed. In the absence of any information forthcoming from ZOS, I imagine the 'downtime to upgrade the hardware', was just to remove the queuing system. It sounds cynical, but there really has been no discernible performance uplift.
    Edited by FlyingSwan on April 21, 2019 7:53PM
  • everlastingodeb17_ESO
    everlastingodeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone,

We've been working very hard on prepping additional server hardware to accommodate our burgeoning player base, especially in the EU - and I'm very happy to say that we've done it much faster than anticipated. We are wrapping up the work, and will have the additional capacity online for PC EU players before the upcoming Easter holiday weekend.

Here's how it will work:
    • We will take PC EU offline tomorrow (Thursday, April 18) morning at 12pm CEST/6am EST for maintenance to configure the megaserver to recognize the additional hardware. Stay tuned for messaging from our Social and Community teams on how long the outage will be.
    • At some point next week we will do the same for PC NA - even though we haven't had to turn on queuing for PC NA, we want to make sure additional capacity is added there as well to keep up with the growing population on that megaserver.
    Adding server capacity should alleviate load-causing server problems and enable us to raise our "concurrent" supported user number well above our nightly maximums, while also removing the queues. We are still working on overall client architecture and performance fixes, which are unrelated to this particular issue. You should see more information about our client performance progress in the coming months.

I know that this has not been an awesome couple of weeks for our EU PC players, which is why we have worked so hard to get additional capacity online as soon as possible. While having a growing player population is great, we know it’s not a good experience to have the population outgrow the current server hardware, or to have to wait in a queue to get into the game you love to play. We'll definitely keep an eye on things and will keep everyone updated as warranted.

Thanks,

Matt

what hardware did you had to the server? maybe some pentium 4 1.0ghz with 256mb of ddr2... because the server is still a piece of crap...

be honest with the paying customers and don't lie!!!
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For the love of anything sane rewrite the guild store & bank...

I am sure that a Zx80 with a cassette drive has faster response times than PC-EU at preset...
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • KoultouraS
    KoultouraS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am already sick and tired of every single Monday to be greeted with
    a "NO MAINTENANCE" message, only to be upleasantly surprised with
    a mid-week Maintenance.
    Just shows a lot of how you value us as costumers.
    Your servers are a disgrace of a server.
    You are yet to admitt that, and only assume u can cure cancer with vitamins.

This is the orthodox easter week.
    Every orthodox nation will see much of its population moving to countryside to celebrate Easter with family
    from Thursday till Sunday.

And then it's work work work.
    We had a single day where everything was fixed to enjoy ESO with no worries.
    I guess we ve been "ZOSed" again.

However, be aware the day you are going to be "Costumer-ed" ZOS, it's coming for you soon, should you decide
    to carry on with your decline to the absurdity realm....
    Edited by KoultouraS on April 23, 2019 6:48PM
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the way ZOS is handling this is rather unsatisfying for us, the players and payers.
    Now they don´t show you and me a timer or the place in queue, they just show you an infinte loading screen.
    Without debate, there are more players on the server and the queue isn´t that long anymore, BUT to get that done they lowered the performance, low frame rates and the rest are the result, now I wait at any crafting station an eternity till you get an interaction.
    My guess, there is no new hardware, just some twitching on the software and that was it.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back with a big f-bomb bang

Your friend and mine, the log in queue.

So much for the rhetoric, it’s all emperor’s new clothes
  • MikaHR
    MikaHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the good thing is that performance will improve when a lot of people quit playing!

If they dont fix the problem...the problem will fix itself...and not in a god way for them, DF has been broken since Jester's festival and no improvement there...and now we are in 4th week of the event....when it will be even more stress on DF.
    Edited by MikaHR on April 25, 2019 9:00AM
  • todokete
    todokete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikaHR wrote: »
    Well, the good thing is that performance will improve when a lot of people quit playing!

If they dont fix the problem...the problem will fix itself...and not in a god way for them, DF has been broken since Jester's festival and no improvement there...and now we are in 4th week of the event....when it will be even more stress on DF.

Literally the past 5 years of eso
  • Rerum
    Rerum
    ✭✭✭
    Aaaaand nothing is done =) can't even do rn with full group.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    , DF has been broken since Jester's festival and no improvement there...and now we are in 4th week of the event....when it will be even more stress on DF.

it has been broken at least since 2016. wait for gina community manager with a new portion of bla bla bla we are investigating just wait five years more
    Edited by oxygen_thief on April 25, 2019 8:05PM
  • FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    , DF has been broken since Jester's festival and no improvement there...and now we are in 4th week of the event....when it will be even more stress on DF.

it has been broken at least since 2016. wait for gina community manager with a new portion of bla bla bla we are investigating just wait five years more

Not forgetting the obligatory, "we know we need to communicate more [but have no intention of ever doing so]", and then when people get a bit frustrated (understandably), "we've had to remove a few posts that contravened our rules [i.e. you said some stuff we didn't like, as the truth hurts]".
    Edited by FlyingSwan on April 25, 2019 9:13PM
  • Verbal_Earthworm
    Verbal_Earthworm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am starting to think that the devs don't want to lie to us anymore, hence the silence.
  • Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read the first post...tthought *woohoo* silently to myself........and here we are 2 weeks later still in dire need of major upgrades...

Not really surprised tbh, should have known better than to get my hopes up ;)
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agobi wrote: »
    Read the first post...tthought *woohoo* silently to myself........and here we are 2 weeks later still in dire need of major upgrades...

And waiting (another 10 days) on a minor fix during a public holiday
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Why? they never said anything was getting upgraded, just adding more capacity.
  • FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why? they never said anything was getting upgraded, just adding more capacity.

In IT terms, 'capacity management' is the process to deliver the expected levels of service and performance as capacity increases. i.e., it is either scaling out or scaling up, but when capacity management is done properly, it will entail some form of upgrade, or performance will drop as capacity increases.

• Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a login queue message for 30 seconds tonight (PC/EU). So is it back again?
  • ynimma
    ynimma
    ✭✭✭✭
    No matter how I try to recognize any development in the EU capacity, it appears to be smoke and mirrors for me.
    Login queue has gone I give you that (mostly, as I also have run into the 30 secs initiation a couple of times since).
    - no better ping, actually it settled slightly higher with usual extremes
    - lagspikes are still there, sometimes 4-5 secs long freezing and then exploding into crazy animations
    - guildstore is still laggy
    - even the chat can be very laggy

So I have no idea what ZOS calls "solution to a serious problem", I have to assume there is no extra hardware at all in the ranks, maybe they swapped a part of the already underperforming lot after it had issues but there's really NOTHING suggesting any improvement in server service. They can twist their words however they want but seeing the same mess (minus long login queues) I have to remain unsubbed and Elseweyrless for the time being.
    And that time - knowing ZOS's practices - may be very long.
    Shame.
  • todokete
    todokete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put the queue back on the finder is completely broken
  • Svealyn
    Svealyn
    I have now spent almost ten minutes in a queue which was from the beginning telling me my wait time would be *30 seconds* !
    This now lasts for almost 10 minutes!
    edit: leaving the not moving queue led to an internal error, restarting the game now.
    Edited by Svealyn on April 28, 2019 2:34PM
This discussion has been closed.