Maintenance for the week of May 20:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 18:00 UTC (14:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Should unlocking Skyshards be available through the Crown Store for Alts ?

• Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! Please implement skyshard packs in the crown store. Please explain.
    Because i have 10 alts, and i hate farming and respeccing all the time cuz i dont have all weapon skill lines ready for switching. And time is Limited, i want to do other stuff in life then just farming skyshards in Eso for the 15th time
    Options
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No! Please don't implement skyshard packs in the crown store. Please explain.
    Advancing in a game just by swiping your credit card is ridiculous. This is the first real PTW*, and things will inevitably get worse when we enable these practices by buying in.

The playing field should be level, not based on wealth outside the game. Either unlock the skyshards on all alts (for everyone, not for purchase), make it available in the crown store AND with in-game gold, OR change absolutely nothing and make everyone continue to grind up their characters. You know... play the game.

Edit: *To clarify, PTW in-so-far as you can, with the swipe of your card, have an account full of toons with *a lot* of skills, without doing any work except the initial unlock.
    Edited by reoskit on April 2, 2019 1:12PM
    Options
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see it as monetizing something that should only cost gold.

bying old skyshards for alts with gold is actually not a bad idea.
    PC
    Options
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    reoskit wrote: »
    Advancing in a game just by swiping your credit card is ridiculous. This is the first real PTW*, and things will inevitably get worse when we enable these practices by buying in.

The playing field should be level, not based on wealth outside the game. Either unlock the skyshards on all alts (for everyone, not for purchase), make it available in the crown store AND with in-game gold, OR change absolutely nothing and make everyone continue to grind up their characters. You know... play the game.

Edit: *To clarify, PTW in-so-far as you can, with the swipe of your card, have an account full of toons with *a lot* of skills, without doing any work except the initial unlock.

I couldn't agree more :)
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
    Options
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Just no. Once a toon has found every skyshard in the base game (and thus can buy the skyshard furnishing), purchasing and applying those skyshardd to alts should be a free possibility, akin to a New Game+. At worst it should be purchasable for both in-game gold and out-of-game currency.
    Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay
    Obsidian Guard (Social with PvX Events)

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
    - Jane McGonigal
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    My support for this, or lack of same, will depend entirely on the price ZOS sets for it.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Options
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rather prefer it as a free option after reaching certain achievments but this is better than nothing...but it seems only really useful if we get the same option for the mages guild line
    Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am all for skyshard sharing across characters because it's a huge timesink and the "advantages" are miniscule - Nobody asking for these is thinking "Great, I will be so strong with the 1 extra SP I can apply per level", they're thinking "Amazing, what a HUGE timesaver"

However, I believe it should be toggle-able on character creation for those that wish to take them, not purchasable in the crown store for real money, like this:

zmgd9iI.jpg

Direct: https://i.imgur.com/zmgd9iI.jpg
    Edited by BNOC on April 3, 2019 12:27PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
    Options
  • sp_korshun
    sp_korshun
    ✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    Skyshards should be unlocked per account for free, not something that you have to pay for. Same with mount feeding and alliance rank.
    Options
  • Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asys wrote: »
    sevomd69 wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that it's a bad move gaming-wise, it's also disappointing because I see it as a first step towards monetising other aspects of basic gameplay - probably with one eye on the possible outlawing of crown crates resulting in the need for alternative means of generating revenue. ZOS are just testing the waters but if it proves successful it will set a worrying precedent.

If they do illegalize crown crates and there is no other effective way to generate revenue...then there will be no more ESO...

I think this escapes the reality of some people on this forum...ESO is not a charity organization...if they stop making money they will pull the plug...

if they cant keep a game going without gambling, then they deserve to crumble.

Exactly. Look at Warframe. Free to play despite its mountain of content which keeps on growing, and actively REMOVES anything that feels like gambling (still can't believe they did that all because of one player... name one company that would do that these days)

ESO/Zenimax can diaf now for all I care. It's obvious at this point it's going down the f2p, monetized to hell and back route. The servers/lag issues will never improve. Staves will continue to be buggy and never be fixed. Cyrodiil will always be a lag infested shitshow, and group dungeon que will always be broken. This game is never going to improve. Even Zenimax knows it, hence the choice to bleed it dry with this monetization crap. Same thing happens to every single dying MMO that can't be assed to fix its ***. It's just a huge shame this had to happen to a TES game.
    Edited by Numerikuu on April 3, 2019 12:51PM
    Options
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    Universe wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    It is known that ZOS are planning to allow players to buy Skyshard zone packs unlocks through the crown store for alt characters, only if the relevant zone skyshard achievement is already unlocked on other character.
    There will be no option to buy the skyshard packs through ingame option(such as gold), the player will have to either grind for skyshards or buy the relevant zone/s skyshard pack/s(if the achievement was unlocked on other character).
    This is planned for Elsweyr Update.

Do you think that Skyshard packs should be made available for purchase through the Crown Store ?
    This poll is not about if it is Pay to win/Pay For Convenience or not, this poll is only about if skyshard packs be made available for purchase through the crown store while there will be no ingame option to get them other than doing the grind.
    Note: Crown store skyshard packs can't be gifted to other players.

Note for the Mods:
    This is not a duplicate discussion since this discussion's topic is not about if skyshards are P2W or not, this discussion is about if ZOS should include skyshard packs in the crown store for alt characters while there is no other option to unlock them other than grinding.

What they have coming is fine. Still have to hunt then at least once. It makes it a bit easier for altaholics, and frankly skyshards offer no true advantage
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
    Options
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlocking skyshards is super easy. I don't know why even bother with it since there is another much more grindy thing that you have to do for your alts: leveling Undaunted to get that resources buff.
    Furthermore I don't care if someone gets skyshards from the crown store or by running around a zone.
    Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlocking skyshards is super easy. I don't know why even bother with it since there is another much more grindy thing that you have to do for your alts: leveling Undaunted to get that resources buff.
    Furthermore I don't care if someone gets skyshards from the crown store or by running around a zone.

The discrepancy lays in the fact that Undaunted requires knowledge of the game, it's mechanics and your class. You are tied in to and are required to complete content to level Undaunted where as skyshards are just run and grab, even the ones in delves.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
    Options
  • MikaHR
    MikaHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numerikuu wrote: »
    It's just a huge shame this had to happen to a TES game.

You forgot the notorious $20 "Horse Armor DLC"....not to mention paid mods (and all in between)

It had happened to "TES game" long long time ago, and just look at disaster called "Fallout 76"
    Edited by MikaHR on April 3, 2019 2:13PM
    Options
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that skyshards shouldn't be made available for purchase in the crown store since it is directly tied to a very long grind for power by skill points(3 skyshards = 1 skill point) and making it available through the crown store is a shortcut for the whales.
    No one should be allowed to skip this grind despite the fact he already earned the relevant skyshard achievement/s before.
    It is an integral part of the game.
    Also, there will be no ingame option to buy the skyshard packs(such as, gold) to skip the long grind of unlocking them, this makes this type of crown store monetization of skyshard packs even more greedy and it will be the only way to obtain the skyshards fast.
    Crown Store Shortcuts for Hard/long grinds, such as skyshards, champion points, skill lines and Monster Helm drops etc. shouldn't be available in the crown store.
    The game should be played, not bought by a thousand micro transactions.

I will explain by answering to your comment.

The game already has shortcuts for whales, or people who sub and get crowns each month. Some of these include:
    • riding lessons
    • motifs (which some are quite hard to get or cost a ton in game)
    • research scrolls
    • xp gains
    • storage, banker, merchant
    • furnishings/houses (I included them because with crowns you save gold which can be used at something else)

Also your gear is shared, which is the greatest shortcut this game has. When I played WoW, I got a rare BiS rogue dagger on my mage alt (for him it was useless), and there was nothing I could do about it, there was no system to trade between party members (at that time) or alts. In this game things are much much more convenient regarding the most important issue in mmos, which is gear.

Your dyes and cosmetic look of the motifs you learn are also shared.

You say that none should be allowed to skip the grind, but you already skip a lot of grind when you use your main char to boost your alt with gear, enchants, food, xp potions. Getting skill points from your main is not different, it is even less than getting boosts and gear, because the skill points only allow you to enable some skills faster and get in the game you want to play (pvp/dungeons, whatever) faster.

So your only point comes from the sad reality that people have to pay for something they have already unlocked, or done, to skip that time sink on an alt. Because there are many other shortcuts of which you do not complain in this post, like I pointed out. Paying for those is or is not fair, and we need to see the price. Regardless, getting those does not give you an edge, that would be true if a player could buy and add more champion points than others, or if you could buy very powerful weapons from the cash shop, like in TES Blades :neutral:

P.S. I forgot to mention that I unlocked all the skyshards in the base game, including Cyro, and I only need a few from Murkmire which I do not bother with because I have enough already. Getting the skyshards locked behind the enemy gates was the hardest of all. But that is not the issue. The devs are after some cash with this move, but they also encourage people to complete certain achievements and thus to "reward" the ones commited enough to do some completionist style achievements. If you want a game that does not charge money, you need to go back a couple of decades.

To be honest, buying Welkynar from the cash shop is more a slap in the face to those doing vCR or farming fragments, than this skyshard boost is to most players. I have several alts and am playing them less because I like to do new stuff with my main, rather than doing the same chore all over again.
    Edited by kind_hero on April 3, 2019 4:49PM
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    My support for this, or lack of same, will depend entirely on the price ZOS sets for it.

I figure it is going to be really really cheap, or "time to mortgage the house". :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People keep saying "This doesn't harm anyone," and, at face value, they're technically right. Your buying skyshards in and of itself doesn't hurt anyone. I'm also not opposed to ZOS making money, as I'm realistic enough to realize they're a company, not a charity, and if they don't make profit, there's no reason for their doors to stay open.

The issue I have with the argument is that, whether you can see it or not, this has the potential to hurt everyone. Let's say that, next year, ZOS decides to design a new skill line or create a new guild, similar to what they did with Summerset. As they're making it, they have a choice. They can make it good and fun and enjoyable, in which case they make profit off the chapter. Or they make it incredibly strong, but make the grind hellacious, in which case they profit off the people buying the chapter to access the skill line and the people buying the instant levelup to get it over with on their alts. And if you don't think they would or that people wouldn't accept it, just look at how many people are clamoring for Psijic Order to be added. Then imagine they made a skill line with stronger skills, but a leveling process far more tedious, and tell me how many people would fork over money. Then try to tell me the folks at marketing wouldn't be the least bit tempted.

In that sense, your paying for convenience now has the very real potential to become paying for everyone's inconvenience later. And that harms everyone playing the game, and is reason enough to be, if not opposed to the idea, at least extremely wary of the idea and the effects and incentives it brings with it.
    Options
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    People keep saying "This doesn't harm anyone," and, at face value, they're technically right. Your buying skyshards in and of itself doesn't hurt anyone. I'm also not opposed to ZOS making money, as I'm realistic enough to realize they're a company, not a charity, and if they don't make profit, there's no reason for their doors to stay open.

The issue I have with the argument is that, whether you can see it or not, this has the potential to hurt everyone. Let's say that, next year, ZOS decides to design a new skill line or create a new guild, similar to what they did with Summerset. As they're making it, they have a choice. They can make it good and fun and enjoyable, in which case they make profit off the chapter. Or they make it incredibly strong, but make the grind hellacious, in which case they profit off the people buying the chapter to access the skill line and the people buying the instant levelup to get it over with on their alts. And if you don't think they would or that people wouldn't accept it, just look at how many people are clamoring for Psijic Order to be added. Then imagine they made a skill line with stronger skills, but a leveling process far more tedious, and tell me how many people would fork over money. Then try to tell me the folks at marketing wouldn't be the least bit tempted.

In that sense, your paying for convenience now has the very real potential to become paying for everyone's inconvenience later. And that harms everyone playing the game, and is reason enough to be, if not opposed to the idea, at least extremely wary of the idea and the effects and incentives it brings with it.

Maybe. But since people want to have skill points on characters without having those characters gather skyshards, this is a good compromise. Like the horse riding lessons are.

Meanwhile, if they do introduce a new skill line that doesn't level by running around in circles for 2 hours (which in my opinion is not fun), people are going to complain that it is too grindy, and at the same time decide that they can't live without it.

I personally enjoy the Psijic quest line, but I also don't feel like all my characters need to have it developed further than being able to see Psijic Portals. They will eventually all get it, but they are still perfectly functional without it.

I prefer to work towards things in game, others want to take short cuts to get to where they feel the "real content" is. If they can pay for their shortcuts without destroying my road, then I'm fine with them spending their money.
    The Moot Councillor
    Options
  • Tyreal1974
    Tyreal1974
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    As much as I dislike the Clown Store, I would actually consider buying Skyshard unlocks only for the shards located in PVP zones. I am not a huge fan of the PVP portion of this game, and not having to infiltrate rival factions to collect the Skyshards, Treasure maps, etc. is something I would save up for with my monthly Crowns allowance from ESO+.
    Edited by Tyreal1974 on April 3, 2019 9:25PM
    Options
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Peekachu99 wrote: »
    Would this not be unlockable through in-game gold via Crown Store gifting? They let you do race changes now, which were initially untradeable.

Crown Store skyshard packs will not be giftable.
    Source: ESO Live Twitch Stream(Day 2 BethesdaGameDays)

Oh I though I would be able to buy them with gold thank to the gift system ... it don’t worth my real money
    Options
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about some lazy BS. You know what, I don't want to have to run Vet maelstrom arena anymore to get weapons i need for my alts lets add that to the crown store too (*sarcasm*)...smh. Hell lets just make quest completion payable too (*More sarcasm*) .

Options
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    Tyreal1974 wrote: »
    As much as I dislike the Clown Store, i would actually consider buying Skyshards unlocks only for the shards located in PVP zones. I am not a huge fan of the PVP portion of this game, and having to infiltrate rival factions to collects the Skyshards, Treasure maps, etc. is something i would save up for with my monthly Crowns allowance from ESO+.

You will need to have the achievement on at least one character to unlock the skyshards in a zone, though. Now, considering that there are 3 separate skyshard achievements for Cyrodiil (one for each alliance zone), there could be a way around that if they don't require the Cyrodiil Skyshard Hunter for it.
    The Moot Councillor
    Options
  • magblade88
    magblade88
    ✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    Skyshards should be unlocked per account for Free, not something that you have to pay for
    Same with mount feeding and alliance rank.

Amen... how many times do we need to do the main quest line... for the love of God! Please give us global or account achievements. Skyshards, lore books and the Psijic skill line to name a few.

Didnt wow have a feature where if you had a max lvl character you could just roll a new one and not have to do all the damb grinding?

I enjoy pvp and dont particularly care to be forced to pve over and over for each new toon. "Play your way" for me equals ending the pve grind.
    Options
  • Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.

I figure it is going to be really really cheap, or "time to mortgage the house". :smile:

I actually suspect it'll cost just enough to make me wary of purchasing it, but just little enough for it to remain appealing.

Either that, or, as you said, it'll be priced at "time to mortgage the house" levels and will see almost no one buy them.
    Options
  • Tyreal1974
    Tyreal1974
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Tyreal1974 wrote: »
    As much as I dislike the Clown Store, i would actually consider buying Skyshards unlocks only for the shards located in PVP zones. I am not a huge fan of the PVP portion of this game, and having to infiltrate rival factions to collects the Skyshards, Treasure maps, etc. is something i would save up for with my monthly Crowns allowance from ESO+.

You will need to have the achievement on at least one character to unlock the skyshards in a zone, though. Now, considering that there are 3 separate skyshard achievements for Cyrodiil (one for each alliance zone), there could be a way around that if they don't require the Cyrodiil Skyshard Hunter for it.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Only having to hunt Skyshards once in Cyrodil on my main and then being able to pay some of my stashed away Clowns on my alt characters would be worth it to me.
    Options
  • Rakvicka
    Rakvicka
    ✭✭
    I have 11 characters, on 7 have it already completed. It is not such burden, but yes, it would be nice. But not via crown store.
    If anything else, it should be account based and granted automaticly, as dyes that you can unlock.

But if its through crown store it will be "you have earned with achievments rights to give us money for it" which is really something that i cant agree with.

I also get kinda.. "yucky" feeling because of it all, especially because just few days ago we saw in crown store EVENT TICKETS. So this definitely showing trend that will only grow.

Also there is high chance that paying for it will be rather.. hehe.. impossible? for normal players for sure, if it will be anywhere near to prices for mount training. Imagine this, 1 zone unlock for 1 character for 1k crowns. Just as the mount trainings.

..not that any poll here or there will change future, it will arrive into crown store one way or another. it is on us, players, to say with our wallets "HELL NO", but we know it wont happend. everyone will buy it (because that 1 buy wont change a thing, right?) and cry about others buying it..
    Edited by Rakvicka on April 4, 2019 9:04AM
    Options
  • Rakvicka
    Rakvicka
    ✭✭

Exactly, you described my "yucky" feelings with words. Thank you! :D
    Options
  • MikaHR
    MikaHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They already know VERY well how bad/tedious/anti-gameplay Skysahrd/Lorebooks/Psijic are. And they have 5 years of "feedback" from numerous players complaining about it as well.

Very few people are asking for fighters guild sill line as its the only one that is implemented decently and yo ucan progress it pretty much whenever/wherever by actually doing stuff.

But yeah, intentonally designing bad/tedious/anti-gameplay systems to later sell it in cash shop is true a several games that removed cash shops needed complete redesign as it was completely ridiculous without buying "shortcuts" in cash shops.

So if someone thinks these "designs" are for gamers paying the game or "RPG" (or whatever idiotic claim is made) and not for "encouraging" either subscription/cash shop spending....i have few bridges to sell you.

"Turnig players into payers" - new ESO design premise.
    Edited by MikaHR on April 4, 2019 9:24AM
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vandril wrote: »

I actually suspect it'll cost just enough to make me wary of purchasing it, but just little enough for it to remain appealing.

Either that, or, as you said, it'll be priced at "time to mortgage the house" levels and will see almost no one buy them.

I expect them to take a page out of the Event Ticket and Outfit Slot play book. The Crown Store will offer skyshards in packs such that there is a minimum cost, for those who just want a few, and a maximum cost, which is just a few Crowns past "OMG!" :smile:

I expect that the cost for the smallest pack, or option, with skyshards will be at the high end of "reasonable" to discourage over use.
    MikaHR wrote: »
    They already know VERY well how bad/tedious/anti-gameplay Skysahrd/Lorebooks/Psijic are. And they have 5 years of "feedback" from numerous players complaining about it as well.

Yes, and they also have 5 years of players saying that they don't want this.

Honestly, I think that people are getting this because the Crown Store makes it attractive to the business to do this. If they had to eat the cost of it, they probably would not do it.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't be buying it, but I don't see a problem with other people buying it. It's a great time saver for Alt-aholics etc etc
    Options