The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should unlocking Skyshards be available through the Crown Store for Alts ?

• woufff
    woufff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    Skyshards should be unlocked per account for Free, not something that you have to pay for
    Same with mount feeding and alliance rank.

This ^^ B)
    PC/EU&NA - Redguard Nightblade - Grand Master Crafter - Explorer of Tamriel & Skyrim - Playing Starfield (and awaiting TES VI ^^)
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No! Please don't implement skyshard packs in the crown store. Please explain.
    Peekachu99 wrote: »
    Would this not be unlockable through in-game gold via Crown Store gifting? They let you do race changes now, which were initially untradeable.

Crown Store skyshard packs will not be giftable.
    Source: ESO Live Twitch Stream(Day 2 BethesdaGameDays)
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! Please implement skyshard packs in the crown store. Please explain.
    Skyshards should be unlocked per account for Free, not something that you have to pay for
    Same with mount feeding and alliance rank.

^^

This would help explain to new players why that level 20 is blowing them up, they are actually a grand overlord on a new character. This should have always been a part of the base game. The excitement of finding skyshards really only happens once or twice(if you forgot).
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    As I said more than once in the "Is it or is it not P2W?" thread, I absolutely don't think, skyshards should be something that is only purchasable from the Crown Store, instead of with gold. There's enough monetizing as it is already, and making skyshard packs a Crown Store exclusive with no option to buy them via in-game currencies (unless you want to "buy" crowns from someone else) is a huge mistake in my eyes. Either make it free or don't do it at all. This is the first step down a dangerous road where absolutely everything will have a price tag at some point. And if that happens, I'm definitely out for good.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh everything should be account wide, achievements, consumeables, traits, etc. Once you finished it it's yours why bother doing it more than one time
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    crjs1 wrote: »
    I’m all in favour l, though frankly it should be an account wide achievement which is free.

This^ It really should be free

Zos listened to the countless threads and decided to make those crowns more appealing in the ESO+ model. It would of been nice if they added the same function of certain add-ons for every platform but they didn't do that for consoles, so this is a greedy QoL alternative. Skyshards are boring once you have done it more then 8 times so who cares.

In the long run, I think it will keep some newer and older players interested in the game and more willing to have more then just one main or two. So in the end, we should be seeing more classes running around and maybe less nerf threads because now that they don't have to grind everything, they can enjoy other classes without the time constraints but at a cost. :smile:

Plus you have to have them already done to unlock them....

Doesn't bother me, we still have a guild day dedicated to grinding skyshards to help out our fellow players. I think it is a good but greedy move on Zo$'s part.

I added some of my post from the other poll, since this is just another lazy version and the OP didn't like the outcome but also put this in the other one.

The OP's words "Skyshard packs, monster helm items and skill lines in the crown store etc. is P2W. The moment it lands in the crown store, I will safely label ESO as P2W game."

Why are you not crying about the monster helms at the golden vendor? I mean, shouldn't everyone have to do the proper content to get them on vet rather then being able to Zerg and use ap for an item that is in a Vet Dungeon?

• Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    Universe wrote: »
    Would this not be unlockable through in-game gold via Crown Store gifting? They let you do race changes now, which were initially untradeable.

I’m guessing you missed the subtext where race changes were not giftable and then they were. To think that they’d leave money on the table for too long, given their history and the course of the game is unrealistic.
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    Tbh everything should be account wide, achievements, consumeables, traits, etc. Once you finished it it's yours why bother doing it more than one time

I totally agree with this. Skyshard and Guild Skill Line hunting is pointless, tedious and only inhibits new characters from the content they want to play (PVP, Vet Content, etc.).
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No need for such threads,

ZOS already decided to have them as Crown Store item.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.

No, there absolutely is a need. Just look at what happened. People kept bringing it up, that they wanted skyshards to be account-bound, even though lots of others said it's futile and to stop beating a dead horse. But now we are getting this option - in the completely wrong way, of course, but the repeated feedback did not go unnoticed. So, if enough people keep complaining that putting skyshard packs in the Crown Store exclusively is a crap move, it might not go unnoticed either.

Decisions can always be unmade, especially so long as it's not actually implemented yet.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• Kambo
    Kambo
    ✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    I'm not super thrilled about this being a thing in general, but I also wasn't super happy about the housing storage containers costing the same price as a full story dlc for a 60 slot chest, and that's just for a single one. The ways to get them in-game are, IMO, quite a lot, but the option to get them in-game using things like Writ Vouchers and Tel'Var Stones and all that is nice.

I'd say treat this new Skyshard purchase system like the storage containers. Offer them on the Crown Store, but also offer them for things like Writ Vouchers and Tel'Var Stones. I feel like that would kind of balance things out, as people who already have those currencies in bulk would be able to make an alt and then use them to get their Skyshards. And the people who either don't have those currencies or don't want to use any of them can instead pay Crowns to get their Skyshards. That way the convenience is there but it isn't locked specifically behind the Crown purchase.
    Straight out of Mo- uh, oh wait. Um... Ebonheart, I guess?
    PC US
    Characters:
    Nathyrin Othrril - Dunmer Stamina Sorcerer
    Niveth Othrril - Dunmer Stamina Dragonknight
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    I don't think they should require Crowns to buy. I do think this should be implemented. Grinding things repeatedly like this adds little value to the game.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    I think those skyshard packs should be available for purchase for in game gold (in before buying crowns 1. its not the same, 2. they are not going to be giftable anyways).

I don't mind if monetanization is an option, i really really mind when its the ONLY option. and before anyone starts talking about "you can get them old fashioned way still" i know, I'm talking about specifically being able to purchase packs for alts. I think they should be added to the achievement vendors in capitol cities.

quality of life improvements should NOT be cash only. this is NOT a free to play game, so contrary to some claims floating around this is NOT necessary for game upkeep and adding them solely to cash shop is a stinky cashgrab
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m guessing you missed the subtext where race changes were not giftable and then they were. To think that they’d leave money on the table for too long, given their history and the course of the game is unrealistic.

They said that the Skyshard packs are based on your achievements, so no, they would not be allowing gifting. Race change tokens are nothing like that.

But they do watch this sort of stuff for when making future decisions.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Asys
    Asys
    ✭✭✭✭
    sevomd69 wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that it's a bad move gaming-wise, it's also disappointing because I see it as a first step towards monetising other aspects of basic gameplay - probably with one eye on the possible outlawing of crown crates resulting in the need for alternative means of generating revenue. ZOS are just testing the waters but if it proves successful it will set a worrying precedent.

If they do illegalize crown crates and there is no other effective way to generate revenue...then there will be no more ESO...

I think this escapes the reality of some people on this forum...ESO is not a charity organization...if they stop making money they will pull the plug...

if they cant keep a game going without gambling, then they deserve to crumble.
    I need TP for my ***!
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    Personally I don't care because it wont affect me in any way. I won't purchase these at all since skyshards are easy to get and there are better things to buy. If others buy them then that's their choice and ultimately it has no effect on anyone else. Either way I'm gonna continue to play the game the way I always have.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They said that the Skyshard packs are based on your achievements, so no, they would not be allowing gifting. Race change tokens are nothing like that.

But they do watch this sort of stuff for when making future decisions.

profitable business need to implement in a right way,

Still we have not learnt despite character slots, tokens, outfit slots are implemented exclusively as crown store!
  • Itzmichi
    Itzmichi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that skyshards shouldn't be made available for purchase in the crown store since it is directly tied to a very long grind for power by skill points(3 skyshards = 1 skill point) and making it available through the crown store is a shortcut for the whales.
    No one should be allowed to skip this grind despite the fact he already earned the relevant skyshard achievement/s before.
    It is an integral part of the game.
    Also, there will be no ingame option to buy the skyshard packs(such as, gold) to skip the long grind of unlocking them, this makes this type of crown store monetization of skyshard packs even more greedy and it will be the only way to obtain the skyshards fast.
    Crown Store Shortcuts for Hard/long grinds, such as skyshards, champion points, skill lines and Monster Helm drops etc. shouldn't be available in the crown store.
    The game should be played, not bought by a thousand micro transactions.

Why not...its not that long a grind any way...I can clear a zone other than Cyrodiil and Imperial City in less than half hour...

BTW this is coming from someone who has hit 4647 sky shards on his XBNA account...over 15 toons...

Okay we shall meet us on our tanks in tanking gear. Wanna show me the way to clear the zone in less then 30 minutes.
    Here, have a chill pill 💊!
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think yes, not everyone has the time to collect Skyshards on alts.

Sorry, I don't agree with this. What do you mean you don't have time for it. It's not like it's going to take you weeks do to. I guess I play differently than you so I can't understand why someone would say they have no time. When I make a new character, I get the skyshard when I am in the area. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, at least time wise.

As a teacher once told me, there are 86 400 seconds in a day. If you can't find the time, then something is wrong. People do have the time, they just CHOOSE not to use.

Really if someone has time to play and make a new character, they have time to get skyshards. After all, if someone doesn't have time to get skyshards, they don't have time to level up their mounts, they don't have time to do quests to continue the story, they don't have time to do research etc.

That basically means, if someone doesn't have the time, then they don't have time to make a new character either. Just makes no sense to me.

Please explain in what I am not seeing. I just don't understand and like to see your point of view.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    Make it a non crown-store thing and im fine with it.
    500k Gold or something to share skyshards per character seems fair, takes about the same time to make that amount of gold as it takes to collect the skyshards.
    Also a new goldsink, which the game really needs.
    Edited by ATomiX96 on March 31, 2019 8:47PM
  • DeathStalker
    DeathStalker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It will be nice to not have to go through the pvp areas to get skyshards again.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm torn,
    on one hand I want to have more ease with playing alts
    on the other hand I don't want the game to become pay to win
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I don't think they should be.

Though all the friends I play with seem to disagree with me.

1. I feel like it cheapens what I've already earned in game for one thing.

2. Unless you purely define P2W as something for sale you can't get in game that is way stronger than anything else you can get in game, which opens the crown store up to a lot of power selling - then to me this is over the line. They are selling power on characters that haven't earned it, no different than selling level 50 characters. Though to be fair, the same folks that support skyshard purchases would probably support that as well.

3. Could also be a balance issue depending on how they roll it out... Can you get those points right away at level 1? Or wait til level 50? I'm sure other lowbie PvPers will not like fighting a level 10 in cyro or BGs with twice as many open skills and passives. So I think you should not be able to buy them until 50 at the least. I also think that handing players skyshards in particular areas for no work is unfair, where most skyshard hunting can be seen as busy work - it's actually a bit more than that to go to cyro and IC, or behind gates in Cyro, or obviously to collect shards in zones you don't have access to anymore b/c maybe you don't buy ESO+ and don't have a DLC.

So for me, simply saying you can get something in game isn't the LINE for me for crown store purchases. If it's ok to sell shards and possibly mage guild or other guild lines in future, then why not gear like MA weapons? It's actually less power passing to sell a MA bow if you've say - already gotten one from MA at least once. You can pass it from one character to the other in the bank anyway, so it would literally just be a convenience purchase to sell additional MA weapons that you've already recieved so you can put them on other characters without bothering with passing them back and forth. (Not saying you should buy items you've not at least gotten once). And where does this stop? Any gear in the game that you've at least gotten once is ok to now sell in the crown store? Passing gear back and forth already can happen in the game, so the power would be the same for both characters involved, but IMO giving skill points without the work is actually selling power. So you did it once, you want it more than once, so you should do it more than once IMO.

And what about leveling skill lines? Why do I need to level crafting on a 16th character if I've already done it once or 15 times before? It's just busy work same as running around collecting shards. Why not just sell max crafting levels if you've already done it on one character (minus motifs or researches of course).

IMO, this passes the P2W line. They might not be all the way on the far side selling golden swords that insta kill that you can only get in the crown store, but they are on that side of the line now. It's getting to the point where much like a F2P game, all you need is to spend lots of money to bypass the grinds in the game (you can already do this on most cosmetics and crafting).

I've heard all the arguments, trust me. All my friends that only do like one thing in this game like only do trials or only do pvp love this idea. So sure, I see why people like the idea, but it doesn't mean I think it's fair.

I guess the only caveat is knowing zos and crown store pricing, it will cost like 100 bucks of crowns to buy the shards for one character.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defitnely no. Levelling alts requires time and effort and is much easier now with the way CP works compared to veteran ranks. You also don’t need a huge amount of skill points to be functional in your role. Only really if you want to max out crafting etc. I have enough skill points by collecting sky shards in the psijic quest zones on skill points from dungeons.

Either change it so they are account bound and thus a feature like CP or keep it as is.

Adding it to crown store is just the start of paying for progress. Why not just add Fighters Guild, Psijic, Mages Guild and Undaunted and Level 10 Assault if we do this.

• jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This strikes me as an unconscionable cash grab. Instead of making the player-friendly move of unlocking shards account-wide or throwing console players a bone with toggleable map filters, they've chosen to monetize progress. If you could buy these upgrades with in-game gold or exploration credits (maybe something akin to AP), I'd have a different opinion.
  • Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    I voted "No it's not P2W." on the other poll.

But on the topic of if it should be added to the store or not...

No, it should not. It SHOULD be added, but as a basic, free gameplay feature, NOT a store item.

I'll take the store item if that's what I need to do, but it'd be much healthier for the game if it were an in-game feature.
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Parrot1986 wrote: »
    Defitnely no. Levelling alts requires time and effort and is much easier now with the way CP works compared to veteran ranks. You also don’t need a huge amount of skill points to be functional in your role. Only really if you want to max out crafting etc. I have enough skill points by collecting sky shards in the psijic quest zones on skill points from dungeons.

Either change it so they are account bound and thus a feature like CP or keep it as is.

Adding it to crown store is just the start of paying for progress. Why not just add Fighters Guild, Psijic, Mages Guild and Undaunted and Level 10 Assault if we do this.

It was already confirmed by the Developers that if crown store skyshard packs will be a success, they will look into adding maxed skill lines to the crown store(Source: ESO Live Twitch Stream Day 2 BethesdaGameDays).
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    esotoon wrote: »
    If they do illegalize crown crates and there is no other effective way to generate revenue...then there will be no more ESO...

I think this escapes the reality of some people on this forum...ESO is not a charity organization...if they stop making money they will pull the plug...

It also escapes people who support crown crates that there is a middle ground between crown crates and going broke. For instance you can sell and make revenue on the items in those crown crates by selling those items at a fair price in the crown store, without the need to gamble. And/or you could add these quality of life (non-cosmetic) improvements to ESO+ which in turn will encourage people to subscribe, giving ZOS a regular income.

There is wanting to make money and then there is wanting to make ALL the money as Jim Sterling would say.

The whole reason for the existence of a company like ZoS/Zenimax is to make THE MOST MONEY possible...Some of you just gotta grasp the realities of the real world...they're not doing this for our entertainment...no matter how much you want to think the opposite...
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    esotoon wrote: »

It also escapes people who support crown crates that there is a middle ground between crown crates and going broke. For instance you can sell and make revenue on the items in those crown crates by selling those items at a fair price in the crown store, without the need to gamble. And/or you could add these quality of life (non-cosmetic) improvements to ESO+ which in turn will encourage people to subscribe, giving ZOS a regular income.

There is wanting to make money and then there is wanting to make ALL the money as Jim Sterling would say.

The whole reason for the existence of a company like ZoS/Zenimax is to make THE MOST MONEY possible...Some of you just gotta grasp the realities of the real world...they're not doing this for our entertainment...no matter how much you want to think the opposite...

Some companies actually still give a sht and don’t design their games like players are just mindless sheep they can milk and prod without consequence. ZOS isn’t one of them.

Every time the community accepts one of these blatantly player-hostile monetizatons schemes, they’re proving to ZOS that they’re right to think their playerbase consists of mindless sheeple.
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since gifting, anything on the crown store is available for gold.

Personally, I'd prefer see two types of zone purchases

1) Cheap, per zone, per character
    2) Expensive, per zone, per account.