The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should unlocking Skyshards be available through the Crown Store for Alts ?

Universe
Universe
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hey everyone,
It is known that ZOS are planning to allow players to buy Skyshard zone packs unlocks through the crown store for alt characters, only if the relevant zone skyshard achievement is already unlocked on other character.
There will be no option to buy the skyshard packs through ingame option(such as gold), the player will have to either grind for skyshards or buy the relevant zone/s skyshard pack/s(if the achievement was unlocked on other character).
This is planned for Elsweyr Update.

Do you think that Skyshard packs should be made available for purchase through the Crown Store ?
This poll is not about if it is Pay to win/Pay For Convenience or not, this poll is only about if skyshard packs be made available for purchase through the crown store while there will be no ingame option to get them other than doing the grind.
Note: Crown store skyshard packs can't be gifted to other players.

Note for the Mods:
This is not a duplicate discussion since this discussion's topic is not about if skyshards are P2W or not, this discussion is about if ZOS should include skyshard packs in the crown store for alt characters while there is no other option to unlock them other than grinding.
Edited by Universe on March 31, 2019 10:27PM
Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
Started playing ESO in beta & early access
User_ID: Daedric_Prince

Should unlocking Skyshards be available through the Crown Store for Alts ? 397 votes

Yes! Please implement skyshard packs in the crown store. Please explain.
40%
atlgirl29_ESODeathStalkerElventqwjr8989_ESOmattc9306b14a_ESODaveMoeDeeTherylhedna123b14_ESOAlendrinrotaugen454ZalathormCipherNineNemesis7884npukIzanagi.Xiiib16_ESOCyberOnEsoAralonaubrey.baconb16_ESOAlienSlofRazielSR 159 votes
No! Please don't implement skyshard packs in the crown store. Please explain.
43%
NestorKalfismesnatheyanceydaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOotis67haploeb14_ESOThrudra_Magia kypranb14_ESOLisaxaraanixieBam_BamBlackEarSpacegatosagesourceb16_ESOSalzorBrother_NumsieGorguzkhalrwb17_ESOrynth 171 votes
Other. Please explain.
16%
ItsMeTooOthniel327RDMyers65b14_ESOSAMEASLEYb14_ESORedTalonxan4silkb14_ESOXsorusElsterchenEwerounTurelusAimorastevenyaub16_ESOstatic_rechargeArchmadiosVandriljircris11LinaleahStreegamistermacintoshfeyii 67 votes
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NA
    Edited by TheRealPotoroo on March 31, 2019 3:21PM
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • ookami007
    ookami007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They pretty much announced that it will be. BUT... it will be one zone at a time and you'll have to pay for EACH zone for EACH alt. Have fun with that.
  • JazzyNova
    JazzyNova
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally think yes, not everyone has the time to collect Skyshards on alts & I certainly do not... so as long as you have a character who has collected all the skyshards in the game, I really don't see what the problem is with adding the option because I would buy it.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I should. Just no.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    Skyshards should be unlocked per account for Free, not something that you have to pay for
    Same with mount feeding and alliance rank.
  • Thrawniel
    Thrawniel
    ✭✭✭
    I would much rather prefer either to get it with ingame gold or just as global unlock as a reward for collecting them (similar to CP that you can use on all your alts from lvl 1).

But... if it is a choice between paying crowns or not having the unlock at all, I'll settle for crowns (as a subscriber I get some each month anyways).

I am kinda obsessed with clearing zones by story order, so simply spending couple of hours running around zones and collecting skyshards will ruin my fun.

But at the same time, when I roll new class - I want to play around with its skills asap. So unlock is a perfect solution for me.

And I do not like pvp, so getting Cyro skyshards on alts is just not an option. It was bad enough on main. But I doubt they will ever make pve clone of Cyro, so I'll gladly throw my spare crowns at Cyro skyshards unlock.
  • inationxi
    inationxi
    Soul Shriven
    No
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I believe that skyshards shouldn't be made available for purchase in the crown store since it is directly tied to a very long grind for power by skill points(3 skyshards = 1 skill point) and making it available through the crown store is a shortcut for the whales.
    No one should be allowed to skip this grind despite the fact he already earned the relevant skyshard achievement/s before.
    It is an integral part of the game.
    Also, there will be no ingame option to buy the skyshard packs(such as, gold) to skip the long grind of unlocking them, this makes this type of crown store monetization of skyshard packs even more greedy and it will be the only way to obtain the skyshards fast.
    Crown Store Shortcuts for Hard/long grinds, such as skyshards, champion points, skill lines and Monster Helm drops etc. shouldn't be available in the crown store.
    The game should be played, not bought by a thousand micro transactions.
    Edited by Universe on March 31, 2019 4:11PM
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    This sets a precedent for getting players to legitimise the addition of buyable Crown Store "short-cuts", before they get implemented.

'you said that you wanted it....' will be the response when it all goes horribly wrong.

Personally, I can't justify spending anymore money on this game.
    I haven't yet got the full value from what I have spent so far.
  • Asys
    Asys
    ✭✭✭✭
    Universe wrote: »
    I believe that skyshards shouldn't be made available for purchase in the crown store since it is directly tied to a very long grind for power by skill points(3 skyshards = 1 skill point) and making it available through the crown store is a shortcut for the whales.
    No one should be allowed to skip this grind despite the fact he already earned the relevant skyshard achievement/s before.
    Also, there will be no ingame option to buy the skyshard packs(such as, gold) to skip the long grind of unlocking them, this makes this type of crown store monetization of skyshard packs even more greedy and it will be the only way to obtain the skyshards fast.
    Crown Store Shortcuts for Hard/long grinds, such as skyshards, champion points, skill lines and Monster Helm drops etc. shouldn't be available in the crown store.

couldnt agree more. I think i have said it before - they are gettin to the top of shittyness like EA
    I need TP for my ***!
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Universe wrote: »

Why not...its not that long a grind any way...I can clear a zone other than Cyrodiil and Imperial City in less than half hour...

BTW this is coming from someone who has hit 4647 sky shards on his XBNA account...over 15 toons...
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apart from the fact that it's a bad move gaming-wise, it's also disappointing because I see it as a first step towards monetising other aspects of basic gameplay - probably with one eye on the possible outlawing of crown crates resulting in the need for alternative means of generating revenue. ZOS are just testing the waters but if it proves successful it will set a worrying precedent.
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that it's a bad move gaming-wise, it's also disappointing because I see it as a first step towards monetising other aspects of basic gameplay - probably with one eye on the possible outlawing of crown crates resulting in the need for alternative means of generating revenue. ZOS are just testing the waters but if it proves successful it will set a worrying precedent.

If they do illegalize crown crates and there is no other effective way to generate revenue...then there will be no more ESO...

I think this escapes the reality of some people on this forum...ESO is not a charity organization...if they stop making money they will pull the plug...
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Indeed.
    On ESO Live Twitch Stream(Day 2 BethesdaGameDays) yesterday it was mentioned that if crown store skyshards will be a success, they may include the Psijic skill line leveling in the crown store(only if already completed on other character) and perhaps other skill lines too.
    Edited by Universe on March 31, 2019 6:13PM
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hope they do.

I wasn't going to buy the new xpac, but now I will probably get, & play alts.
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    No, it should just be part of the game.
    forever stuck in combat
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mainly no because I do not think it is needed in the overall scheme of things.

1) Skyshards are not that hard to collect
    2) I suspect that a lot of players have more skill points than they need
    3) I think that the system is complicated to create and that the recovery is going to be too low
    4) It continues the game down the slippery slope of monetizing character progression in the name of convenience.

I would rather they had tabled this and done other QoL improvements, including implementing the skyshard add-on that is available on PC so that console would have that information.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Ozby
    Ozby
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No it should be free or another of the hundred's of gold sinks this game has, not crowns. By making it crowns just seems like another money grab from the player base and it does not sit well with me.
    PC NA
    Aurora Bravepaw (Healden), Basks in Fire (DKTank), Bran Artlion (Magplar), Brindel Seedthorne (Stamden WW), Brugo Gargak (Stamcro), Casimir Delmar (StamDK), Falco Bastion (Stamsorc), Fus Ro Dah (Stamplar), Gandalff the Gay (Petsorc), Jo-Qinan Betula (Magden), Laveera Hex (Magcro), Raine Whitestag (Stamden), Raised by Bears (Wardentank), Ralak Rotheart (Healcro), Selene Sunshadow MagDK), Shadow Mirage (NBTank), Slythe Rattlebone (Healplar), Ulfnor Dragonslayer (Tankcro).
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good gameplay design becomes optional when companies can say “Oh you’re finding this frustrating? Don’t worry, now you can just throw money at it, that’ll skip the grind ;););)

That’s the road we’re going down
    Edited by Jhalin on March 31, 2019 6:17PM
  • Othniel327
    Othniel327
    ✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    It should be account-shared by default, not something you have to pay for.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sevomd69 wrote: »

If they do illegalize crown crates and there is no other effective way to generate revenue...then there will be no more ESO...

I think this escapes the reality of some people on this forum...ESO is not a charity organization...if they stop making money they will pull the plug...

I agree that they will need replacement revenue, and that it will probably come from monetising basic gameplay - which is why my approach to crown crates has always been to say that critics should be careful what they wish for. I'd love to know what proportion of players subscribe, but I wish more would do so - and that some players would stop calling for more investment in the servers while talking of canceling their subscription, as if falling revenue was the path to increased investment. As you say, there's a lack of reality.
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Billdor

This is not a duplicate discussion since this discussion's topic is not about if skyshards are P2W or not, this discussion is about if ZOS should include skyshard packs in the crown store for alt characters while there is no other option to unlock them other than grinding.

*I already made it quite clear on my OP post.
    Edited by Universe on March 31, 2019 7:05PM
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tbh I only plan to buy the cyro zone ones so its fine for me
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ookami007 wrote: »
    They pretty much announced that it will be. BUT... it will be one zone at a time and you'll have to pay for EACH zone for EACH alt. Have fun with that.
    They also said that guild lines will also be included.
    inb4 it happens like this:
    Skyshards - Glenumbra: 1000 Crowns
    Skyshards - Coldharbour: 1000 Crowns
    Skyshards - PvP package: 3000 Crowns

I can't wait for the outrage of Yes-sayers if that happens.
    Edited by Facefister on March 31, 2019 6:37PM
  • SAMEASLEYb14_ESO
    Other. Please explain.
    Just another money grab its like they don't care anymore and i don't care for a company that's rips customers off i wont spend another cent on this dead game.
  • crjs1
    crjs1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m all in favour l, though frankly it should be an account wide achievement which is free.
  • esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    As they are going to have this feature, then it should be free.

It is a much requested quality of life feature that affects gameplay (i.e. not cosmetic), so why should it only be available to those with enough disposable income to afford it?

• esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    sevomd69 wrote: »

It also escapes people who support crown crates that there is a middle ground between crown crates and going broke. For instance you can sell and make revenue on the items in those crown crates by selling those items at a fair price in the crown store, without the need to gamble. And/or you could add these quality of life (non-cosmetic) improvements to ESO+ which in turn will encourage people to subscribe, giving ZOS a regular income.

There is wanting to make money and then there is wanting to make ALL the money as Jim Sterling would say.

Edited by esotoon on March 31, 2019 6:55PM
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another money grab its like they don't care anymore and i don't care for a company that's rips customers off i wont spend another cent on this dead game.

Its not a money grab, you can still go on getting the skyshards as you normally would. It has no real impact on gameplay. They are NOT adding additional skyshards behind a crownstore paywall, they are just making it more convenient to collect them if you wish to spend the money to do so.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other. Please explain.
    Would this not be unlockable through in-game gold via Crown Store gifting? They let you do race changes now, which were initially untradeable.