The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

ESO Launcher Crashes on Update 9/04/2018

• hobbes2424_ESO
    hobbes2424_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    So I left this game for a few months and resubscribed to WoW since I just got fed up with having to deal with the launcher crashing every time I wanted to play. I decided to quit WoW again and try to see if they fixed this game's launcher yet. They still haven't. We're nearing the 6 month gap of no reply from Zenimax I believe? I think if they would just stop allowing the launcher to use port 80, or at least allowed us to set which port it would use, this problem would be non-existent. I'm gonna look into port forwarding this executable since I have no other real option. I really don't want to have to dig through the log files to find the URL of the file it's failing to download, rinse, repeat. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME this game updates. It's not worth logging in to just be met with a game that won't even update.

Devs, please, if anyone from Zenimax is actually reading this.

Can you explain?
    Edited by hobbes2424_ESO on February 19, 2019 2:10AM
    Options
  • Maximilian
    Maximilian
    ✭✭✭
    Okay so hopefully someone from Zenimax is reading this, because it seems C O X seems to be a source of this issue.

They have more clout than a lowly customer would I think.

FYI, FiOs isn't working either
    Options
  • CeaseSphire
    CeaseSphire
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still having issues updating my game. It simply shuts down once it reaches ten percent. I'd love to renew my ESO plus, buy the latest chapter and more crowns but that's not going to happen until this issue gets fixed.
    Edited by CeaseSphire on February 20, 2019 8:37PM
    Options
  • justsmurfitall
    So I’m doing as @Trelfar suggested. I DL the file from the direct link in game consultant using Chrome. When DL is done, I click it the set it to open through the launcher. It then DL and installs, then moves to the next update and stalls again. Guess I’m doing this as many times as it takes.
    Me: *Accidentally picks up apple when trying to talk to an NPC*
    Guard: "STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!"
    ---
    a.k.a. The Smurf
    Options
  • justsmurfitall
    After I got to the depot patches it was then English voiceover patch and after that the game is finally working. Granted, I had to switch to my husbands pc which is higher power, but I am happy again. 😃
    ---
    a.k.a. The Smurf
    Options
  • justsmurfitall
    Cue the computer suddenly crashing and restarting while creating a character. Please let this be a fluke.
    ---
    a.k.a. The Smurf
    Options
  • justsmurfitall
    Not a fluke @ZOS_GinaBruno I got a workaround to actually work but not the game crashes the computer. All minimum requirements are met and/or exceeded.
    ---
    a.k.a. The Smurf
    Options
  • Allen1982
    Allen1982
    I have the same problem a launcher that freezes.I have been dealing with this problem since 2018 of September or October patch been a while can't really remember to be honest and not have played the game since. I am told to try this does not work or try this does not work, so what works who knows. Sorry I am not helpful but this is just completely frustrating when you have put almost 4000 hours in to a game and can't play anymore because of a launcher that keeps freezing and then disappears.
    Edited by Allen1982 on February 23, 2019 11:24PM
    Options
  • Allen1982
    Allen1982
    g7fqpaqcnv7l.png This happens all the time and I can't do anything to fix it when it freeze like this. Sometimes it even show download stalled in the Launcher. This has been going on for like 6 months now and I can not play my game! Here you don't even see a launcher patch bar it is gone and got to 1% WOW!
    Edited by Allen1982 on February 23, 2019 11:26PM
    Options
  • hobbes2424_ESO
    hobbes2424_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Zenimax, please respond.
    Options
  • Crimsonorion
    Crimsonorion
    ✭✭✭
    Zenimax doesn't give a f^#! about this issue. It affect a small group and doesn't hurt the flow of money enough to matter. If you need a workaround a few have been listed. I'm done trying to get Zenimax to respond to this, they don't care. They DO NOT CARE
    Options
  • nyguspleb17_ESO
    nyguspleb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    atm im getting blue screen plus memory dump after i try log on my toon
    Options
  • BitterClinger
    BitterClinger
    Soul Shriven
    Another update, another poke in the eye. I'm done. I'm uninstalling until ESO no longer requires third party software for normal operation.
    Options
  • Fenice19
    Fenice19
    ✭✭
    catastrofic issue. i'm using Windscribe free vpn with 10 gigs free for upgrades every month the other updades used 1 or 2 gigs max.
    now with this upgrade in about 55 sec download the total amount of gigs is reduced from 10 gigs to 1.2 gigs remaining is it impossible. how big is this update ?
    Options
  • WhisperLFE
    WhisperLFE
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, still happening, and still annoying. Windscribe is a great fix...unless the patch/update is 20+ gb. Doesn't work so well then. Back to manually downloading. Thanks, ZOS.
    Options
  • Trelfar
    Trelfar
    ✭✭
    Today's patch steps (2/25) without VPN:
    1. Kill the launcher from Task Manager once it hangs
    2. Open up the host.developer.log from the Launcher folder and find the URL that is repeated 49,183 times in the log (not an exaggeration, that is the actual count for me). In this case it is http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_269to271/depot_269to271.z01
    3. Paste that link into Chrome and download it.
    4. Open the The Elder Scrolls Online\depot\patchdata.depot folder and delete the bad partial download of depot_269to271.z01. Replace it with the Chrome-downloaded depot_269to271.z01 file.
    5. Restart the launcher and wait for it to hang again.
    6. Check host.developer.log again and find the next URL that failed: http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_269to271/depot_269to271.z02
    7. Download it in Chrome and move it to patchdata.depot as per the first file. Delete the bad partial download of depot_269to271.z02
    8. Restart the launcher and wait for it to hang again.
    9. Check host.developer.log again and find the next URL that failed: http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/vo_en/vo_en_265to267/vo_en_265to267.z01
    10. Download it in Chrome and move it to The Elder Scrolls Online\vo_en\patchdata.vo_en. Delete the bad partial download of vo_en_265to267.z01
    11. Restart the launcher and watch it finish patching.

(If you get stuck at any point, delete the host.developer.log - if it gets too large it will hang the launcher even when it has all the valid download data it needs.)

@ZOS_GinaBruno, I have a Wireshark trace of my network activity during the failed download if you can get someone in the Launcher dev team interested. For the love of Stendarr, I'm less than an hour's drive from ZOS HQ, they can come to my house and see if first hand if they want.
    ZOS finally got the launcher to stop hanging every time there is an update - if the problem comes back, click here for the workaround.
    Options
  • Sicsoo
    Sicsoo
    ✭✭
    1 week ago i tried reinstalling the game and got this problem and i didn't give care about downloading stuff nor opening my ports on the router (i can give a *** about ESO if i need to download 60gb using a text log). today i launched the launcer again and everything looks fine. maybe my "ISP" fixed it... yeah they sure were aware of my problems with ESO.
    Options
  • Sureshawt
    Sureshawt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coming up on six months since this problem was reported and still no fix.

Once again the ONLY game I've ever played or currently play that I can't regularly update without a VPN. Clearly must be an ISP issue ....LOL!
    Options
  • Andreakos
    Andreakos
    ✭✭✭
    Solved
    Edited by Andreakos on April 20, 2019 8:32AM
    Options
  • Andreakos
    Andreakos
    ✭✭✭
    Solved
    Options
  • WhisperLFE
    WhisperLFE
    ✭✭✭
    If this is truly an ISP problem, has anyone had success contacting their ISP about it to see if any changes can be made, and what those changes would need to be?
    Options
  • rasthedoctor
    rasthedoctor
    Soul Shriven
    Trelfar wrote: »
    2. Open up the host.developer.log from the Launcher folder and find the URL that is repeated 49,183 times in the log (not an exaggeration, that is the actual count for me). In this case it is http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_269to271/depot_269to271.z01
    4. Open the The Elder Scrolls Online\depot\patchdata.depot folder and delete the bad partial download of depot_269to271.z01. Replace it with the Chrome-downloaded depot_269to271.z01 file.
    6. Check host.developer.log again and find the next URL that failed: http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_269to271/depot_269to271.z02
    7. Download it in Chrome and move it to patchdata.depot as per the first file. Delete the bad partial download of depot_269to271.z02
    9. Check host.developer.log again and find the next URL that failed: http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/vo_en/vo_en_265to267/vo_en_265to267.z01
    10. Download it in Chrome and move it to The Elder Scrolls Online\vo_en\patchdata.vo_en. Delete the bad partial download of vo_en_265to267.z01

(If you get stuck at any point, delete the host.developer.log - if it gets too large it will hang the launcher even when it has all the valid download data it needs.)

@ZOS_GinaBruno, I have a Wireshark trace of my network activity during the failed download if you can get someone in the Launcher dev team interested. For the love of Stendarr, I'm less than an hour's drive from ZOS HQ, they can come to my house and see if first hand if they want.

What if I can't find the Launcher folder..? Doesn't seem to exist even after searching through hidden files and whatnot.
    Edit: I think I figured it out. I uninstalled everything and hadn't run a repair yet, so no log had been created. Hopefully running the repair will create it
    Edit Edit: Nope, didn't work :/
    Edit Edit Edit: aha! https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25196/~/how-do-i-find-my-host.developer-file?
    Edited by rasthedoctor on February 28, 2019 6:16PM
    Options
  • justsmurfitall
    Andreaa wrote: »
    It's 2 days already i've been trying to update the game, it always stops, freeze and then close itself.
    I have the Steam version of the game, if i knew it was going like this i would've never bought the game, there's always an issue.

I even tried to uninstall and downloaded the game again, and still doesn't works.

HaCQKhGFL.jpg

As Steam users, we will never get anywhere with ZOS.
    ---
    a.k.a. The Smurf
    Options
  • Junkriid
    Junkriid
    ✭✭✭
    Trelfar wrote: »

Hi, thank you for the response, happy to see that some people got the problem fixed this way. Do you have any suggestion if it doesn't work for me? And when I try to reinstall the game, the launcher freezes after few seconds?
    It's ridicolous that players must help players because of the lack of information, competence, interest from the devs. SIX MONTHS! I play since may 2015 ffs and it always worked until now! Wtf is wrong with Bethesda-Zos? First, the launcher broken and them not freaking caring about it, then fallout 76 and same behavior from the devs.. Are we living inside a nightmare where the products we buy are meant to not work anymore?
    Edited by Junkriid on March 1, 2019 12:36PM
    In their tongue, he's dovahkiin.. DRAGONBORN!
    Options
  • Trelfar
    Trelfar
    ✭✭
    WhisperLFE wrote: »
    If this is truly an ISP problem, has anyone had success contacting their ISP about it to see if any changes can be made, and what those changes would need to be?
    It's not - at least not in the way ZOS have implied. The response many users have got, and the official response on this thread is 'your ISP is blocking the patch files'. If that were true, downloading the failed files using a web browser wouldn't work. It does. I can also see both from examining the failed downloads and from a Wireshark trace that the launcher does begin to download the files correctly, but it wigs out after a few hundred kB and starts writing null data to the disk. If the ISP was blocking the file, the launcher wouldn't even be able to get started. Then it gets stuck in a infinite loop and generates log files that are 100s of GB in size if you don't stop it. For support to come back and blame it on the ISP without acknowledging there is clearly something wrong with the launcher is either lazy, insulting, or both.

But if the ISP wasn't a factor at all, using a VPN would have no effect either, yet clearly it does. My money is on it having something to do with how the CDN redirects the launcher to download from a mirror on your own ISPs network (which the CDN does to reduce peering costs). The biggest question in my mind is why the problem is not widespread given that it's happening to customers on multiple major providers such as ***, Spectrum, and FiOS. I don't claim to have all the answers, I just know there's more to it than what we've been told by ZOS.

Andreaa wrote: »
    I am amazed as how a single person managed to fix what BROKEmax cannot do...

Thank you very much again !
    My patching steps are based on those posted by a couple of other users back in September when this all started, so I can't take all the credit. But as long as I'm playing I will endeavor to post my patch steps so that others like yourself have a slightly easier time of things.
    Edited by Trelfar on March 1, 2019 2:26AM
    ZOS finally got the launcher to stop hanging every time there is an update - if the problem comes back, click here for the workaround.
    Options
  • WeaselGod
    WeaselGod
    ✭✭✭
    WhisperLFE wrote: »

I've tried contacting mine twice while leaving the launcher open as it freezes in hopes that it would pop up on whatever they're using to track whatever's being connected. Both times they came up with nothing and told me it has nothing to do with them.
    Options
  • Lifendason
    Lifendason
    Soul Shriven
    Okay having the same issue, cannot get past 9 or 10%. I tried the steps above on downloading from the link in the host file, but the .z02 file I do not see.

Any fixes for this cause it's been an ongoing issue now.
    Options
  • Andreakos
    Andreakos
    ✭✭✭
    Solved
    Options
  • tbonewatson_ESO
    tbonewatson_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Had no problems downloading the game in 2018, quit and then tried to download the game last month. Didn't work, found out this is a big issue. So I downloaded the game successfully last week without any issues and without a VPN, but suddenly after this patch I am back to the same problem.

What the heck is with this?
    Options
  • Trelfar
    Trelfar
    ✭✭
    OK, here we go again (3/4) without VPN:
    2. Open up the host.developer.log from the Launcher folder and find the URL that is logged with failures: http://151.205.4.93/data/004b016d41e19ef1/live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_271to273/depot_271to273.z01
    4. Open the The Elder Scrolls Online\depot\patchdata.depot folder and delete the bad partial download of depot_271to273.z01. Replace it with the Chrome-downloaded depot_271to273.z01 file.
    6. Check host.developer.log again and find the next URL that failed: http://151.205.4.95:80/data/064beb717ca87f4a/live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/vo_en/vo_en_267to269/vo_en_267to269.z01
    7. Download it in Chrome and move it to The Elder Scrolls Online\vo_en\patchdata.vo_en folder. Delete the bad partial download of vo_en_267to269.z01
    8. Restart the launcher and watch it finish patching.

Options
This discussion has been closed.