The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

ESO Launcher Crashes on Update 9/04/2018

• Mytah
    Mytah
    Soul Shriven
    The only way I could get it to install was to use a VPN. Someone owes me $6.99
  • Leri084
    Leri084
    Soul Shriven
    The workaround worked for me after redownloading, running as administrator, and changing my IP forwarding didn't work. I still have to redo the process every time but now my gf is having the same issue without any webget/whitelist errors. Tried to create a support ticket but the Game Consultant file is too big to be attached to a ticket so RIP I guess
  • fjord55b14_ESO
    fjord55b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    since september. FOUR MONTHS now. an entirely game breaking bug has been live for four months with no official response. this is such f.ucking b.ullshit.
    i decided to re-check the game once i heard about elswyr. now i remember why i quit in the first place.
    Edited by fjord55b14_ESO on January 16, 2019 2:34AM
  • HiGravShawn
    Ow I got sucked back in when I could play for two weeks straight and boom same issue since before September. I was so pumped about Elswer I told my wife I should turn back on ESO+ jokes on me. Man between this and Fallout 76 how could a company do everything so poorly when they were top of the world 3 years ago. Worst support, worst customer service, worst bugs... what is next!?
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Today, Firefox 64.0.2 downloaded the contents of the .Z01 file, not the file itself. Given the same URL copied from the hostdeveloper.log file created during the stalled download (Web_Host_Get_Error) and pasting it into Google Chrome downloaded the file to my Windows 7 SP1 (fully current) ...\Downloads folder.

After I copied it to the ...\patchdata_zo folder and deleted the .partial files, the Launcher proceded with the game client update, until it stalled while downloading the file for ...\patchdata_vo. So I had to repeat the process using Google Chrome to download the compressed patch data file for that folder and copy the downloaded file to it. Then Launcher finished the game client update.

Frankly, after having read the hostdeveloper.log file so many times, it seems to me that the problem is reported in that file. It also does not seem to me that any ISP has anything to do with why the Launcher cannot find the file that it needs to download. Someone at ZOS needs to examine the hostdeveloper.log very carefully and think about the content. There are "Fail" checks that occur before the attempt to download the patch data file that do not occur after it is downloaded and copied manually to the appropriate folder. Evidently, the Launcher itself ignores the "Fail", and that is probably the cause of the problem.

Edited by Shadowshire on January 16, 2019 3:34AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • pintowrench_ESO
    pintowrench_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Well I thought this issue was done after 3-4 full functional updates. But in my normal experience with C O X communications it goes to hell quick for me from time to time.

But I figure I'd try to help people out. I had 2 patch files that I needed, but I was able to get patched and ready.

The depot file was listed as 266-to-268.z01 and I forced the download through my browser at this link: http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_266to268/depot_266to268.z01

The second one was a vo_en file: http://68.106.66.205/data/025430aad34ab9d6/live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/vo_en/vo_en_262to264/vo_en_262to264.z01

Hope this will help someone on the NA server.

But Good luck everyone.

• Jarndyce
    Jarndyce
    ✭✭✭
    C O X Communications for me also.
  • HiGravShawn
    Yeah C 0 x here too. Appears its blocked not missing because "{IP-ADDRESS} is not whitelisted" is in the log a million times, but we've been telling ZOS for months and they keep acting like they don't know what we're talking about. No one has ever reported this we've never seen anything like it blah blah remove ad blockers reinstall the client for a 50th time. I can dl it on phone hotspot if not on WIFI and I can do it by manually downloading the blocked files with wget but it can't be automated with changing names and has to be done a bunch of times so its too much to put up with and me and my wife have used up all our data doing it on LTE we're sick of it
    Edited by HiGravShawn on January 16, 2019 4:17AM
  • malnu74_ESO
    malnu74_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Still having nothing but issues attempting to patch the damn game. DEV's please fix this crap. I was almost pumped to get the expansion, but then trying to log into game see that there is a patch. I'm thinking to myself, oh great... another long day of struggling to get this update to apply to my launcher and game. Well, here I am still attempting to fix it so I can get on the game, wondering to myself why am I still paying for ESO+, why am I even remotely considering buying the expansion in any form or fashion ( I usually get collectors).

Fix your game. Don't keep pulling this crap. Don't be fallout76.
  • nekoma45
    nekoma45
    I’ve been having to use a vpn each time a patch hits. It’s highly irritating especially when it’s obviously not an isp problem like they keep saying.
  • Jarndyce
    Jarndyce
    ✭✭✭
    The crazy thing is that I have been playing this game since beta and have had no issues while using C O X Communications as internet provider. That's five years of downloading updates. This started in September. I had the initial issue, then several updates that downloaded fine, then launcher stalling again yesterday. The inconsistency is odd. Frustrating.
  • pintowrench_ESO
    pintowrench_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Jarndyce wrote: »
    The crazy thing is that I have been playing this game since beta and have had no issues while using C O X Communications as internet provider. That's five years of downloading updates. This started in September. I had the initial issue, then several updates that downloaded fine, then launcher stalling again yesterday. The inconsistency is odd. Frustrating.

Same thing for me, played since beta and just started this in the last 6 months. And only happened occasionally.

• Boltz4Life
    Boltz4Life
    ✭✭
    I have just recently decided to come back and play ESO again. Well, I went in and was able to pay for a monthly subscription just fine (the money-taking portion of the game works fine). But all morning I have had issues with the launcher. It keeps failing to update. I have also uninstalled/reinstalled. Everything I have tried so far has failed when it comes to updating the game to be able to play it. Is there some kind of secret way to log in and play the game now that I'm not aware of? I've heard that some people have had to use a VPN to play the game....that seems really stupid. I'm not paying extra for VPN service to play a game I'm subscribing to that used to work just fine.

If anyone knows how I can fix this issue, I would greatly appreciate any helpful information. Also, some dev intervention and show of concern on this matter would be nice?
  • Terror
    Terror
    ✭✭✭
    Also using C O X Communications, Wife and I have this issue.
    Brother installed at his house today and also has this issue, he uses C O X Communications as well.
  • pintowrench_ESO
    pintowrench_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Okay so hopefully someone from Zenimax is reading this, because it seems C O X seems to be a source of this issue.

They have more clout than a lowly customer would I think.
  • Terror
    Terror
    ✭✭✭
    Boltz4Life wrote: »
    I have just recently decided to come back and play ESO again. Well, I went in and was able to pay for a monthly subscription just fine (the money-taking portion of the game works fine). But all morning I have had issues with the launcher. It keeps failing to update. I have also uninstalled/reinstalled. Everything I have tried so far has failed when it comes to updating the game to be able to play it. Is there some kind of secret way to log in and play the game now that I'm not aware of? I've heard that some people have had to use a VPN to play the game....that seems really stupid. I'm not paying extra for VPN service to play a game I'm subscribing to that used to work just fine.

If anyone knows how I can fix this issue, I would greatly appreciate any helpful information. Also, some dev intervention and show of concern on this matter would be nice?

Seems hotspotting from a cellphone works, or using a free VPN.
  • shifty_hd
    shifty_hd
    Soul Shriven
    I am currently running into this issue for the latest patch update. I get "download stalled" every time I attempt to update, and now that I have uninstalled for the second time it doesn't even make it to 2% on the first download before crashing. I've tried everything I can think of; making sure eso.exe, bethesda launcher, and steam.exe were not blocked by anti virus, made sure my ISP didn't have priority override security, uninstalling/reinstalling the game, running both steam and the launcher manually as administrator, updating drivers, deleting files, running the repair. You name it, I've tried it. I have noticed some blaming the ISP (which I am on Verizon FiOS but have not had a previous issue with updating) and others blaming ZOS and the launcher itself. If anyone can confirm a solution that'd be awesome and I would appreciate ya. Also, I am on Steam if that means anything. Thanks in advance, and hope to see you all in Tamriel soon!

Edited by shifty_hd on January 17, 2019 4:13AM
  • L337Cody_ESO
    L337Cody_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    So I have been having the same issue for a while now and every time a patch rolls around the launcher fails. I went ahead and downloaded "Windscribe" VPN which is free and if you confirm your email with them, you get 10GB free per month. I have been downloading every patch now without one hiccup but I do agree that we should not have to have a VPN just to download the files needed to play the game.

If you are stuck and having issues, download the VPN and your good to go
  • shifty_hd
    shifty_hd
    Soul Shriven
    So I have been having the same issue for a while now and every time a patch rolls around the launcher fails. I went ahead and downloaded "Windscribe" VPN which is free and if you confirm your email with them, you get 10GB free per month. I have been downloading every patch now without one hiccup but I do agree that we should not have to have a VPN just to download the files needed to play the game.

Thanks, I'll check that out after work! I looked into VPNs but all of the ones I came up with in my limited search were subscription based and couldn't justify paying for something in order to download this patch for a game I've bought, purchased every expansion for including prepurchasing Elsweyr, and pay $15 a month for Plus on. Looking at most of the other comments it seems a VPN is the way to go so hopefully all goes well and there is a fix for this in the near future
  • Terror
    Terror
    ✭✭✭
    shifty_hd wrote: »

Thanks, I'll check that out after work! I looked into VPNs but all of the ones I came up with in my limited search were subscription based and couldn't justify paying for something in order to download this patch for a game I've bought, purchased every expansion for including prepurchasing Elsweyr, and pay $15 a month for Plus on. Looking at most of the other comments it seems a VPN is the way to go so hopefully all goes well and there is a fix for this in the near future

There are many free one's that will work, however; consider using hotspot from a mobile device as well if you can't find a VPN that you want to trust.
  • PicklemanJaro
    PicklemanJaro
    Soul Shriven
    I'm having the same issue. the last update i downloaded worked fine with no issues but this most recent one is the first time I've ran into this issue. I tried uninstalling the game and I Can't even re-install now. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
  • shifty_hd
    shifty_hd
    Soul Shriven
    I'm having the same issue. the last update i downloaded worked fine with no issues but this most recent one is the first time I've ran into this issue. I tried uninstalling the game and I Can't even re-install now. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Welcome. Apparently using a VPN gets the download moving along. I'm at work so cant confirm or deny this until later but I have seen it repeatedly throughout this thread and other forums as well. This may be a solution but hopefully not a permanent one bc it is ridiculous having to resort to using one in the first place. At least for now I'm hoping this method gets me (and all of us going through this) through this patch. Out of curiosity @PicklemanJaro what's your ISP? I'm still not certain whether this is an ISP issue/something on our end, or something that ZOS seriously needs to work on fixing on their end. I've seen heavy arguments on both. Good luck!
  • PicklemanJaro
    PicklemanJaro
    Soul Shriven
    Welcome. Apparently using a VPN gets the download moving along. I'm at work so cant confirm or deny this until later but I have seen it repeatedly throughout this thread and other forums as well. This may be a solution but hopefully not a permanent one bc it is ridiculous having to resort to using one in the first place. At least for now I'm hoping this method gets me (and all of us going through this) through this patch. Out of curiosity @PicklemanJaro what's your ISP? I'm still not certain whether this is an ISP issue/something on our end, or something that ZOS seriously needs to work on fixing on their end. I've seen heavy arguments on both. Good luck![/quote]

Im using C O X but the last update worked just fine. I'm a little surprised that the only advice that ZOS can offer is to pay for and use a VPN to download the files as a fix instead of something practical.
    Edited by PicklemanJaro on January 17, 2019 8:40PM
  • PicklemanJaro
    PicklemanJaro
    Soul Shriven
    l86c4gy4psbe.jpg

Was informed by C O X that the launcher is likely using one of these ports and is likely why it is being blocked.
  • shifty_hd
    shifty_hd
    Soul Shriven
    I used Windscribe VPN and was able to reinstall and update the game without any issue. Hoping the next patch comes without the headaches, but at least this VPN is free so I'll have it if I need it
  • L337Cody_ESO
    L337Cody_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    shifty_hd wrote: »
    I used Windscribe VPN and was able to reinstall and update the game without any issue. Hoping the next patch comes without the headaches, but at least this VPN is free so I'll have it if I need it

Awesome! I am glad it worked out well for you. I am just using the VPN from now on since it's the fastest solution. If the port is being blocked by the ISP then something needs to be done to allow the traffic through. Maybe we will see a fix when the launcher is updated for Elsweyr.
  • Nyaera
    Nyaera
    Soul Shriven
    I can't believe I am back here. It started working for a few weeks, now nothing. I can download the webget-failed files in any browser, but I don't want to have to manually patch this game every week. Seriously, WTF.
  • codybrewer78b14_ESO
    Just came back to the game and have been having issues updating the game with the launcher. Came here looking for a solution and I see this thread has been around since September 2018?! Has this really been going on that long with no fix?! I should have stayed away.
  • WeaselGod
    WeaselGod
    ✭✭✭
    Opened a ticket for this as none of the fixes in this thread have worked for me. Had like 3 different people from support pop in basically contributing nothing to the conversation and asking questions to things I had already stated beforehand. Conversation would more or less go like this;
    "I've tried using x fix and this is what happened."
    "You tried using x fix and what happened?"
    Eventually I guess they gave up on me and another person popped in only to close the ticket and copy paste the same *** that's been said in this thread. Disappointing.
    6kbh5ah2eywx.png

• WhisperLFE
    WhisperLFE
    ✭✭✭
    Mytah wrote: »
    The only way I could get it to install was to use a VPN. Someone owes me $6.99

This has been my only workaround as well (although I'm using a free VPN to download patches). Without the VPN, since September, the launcher consistently hangs and then crashes.

I live in Florida and have C O X.
    Edited by WhisperLFE on January 20, 2019 12:59PM
This discussion has been closed.