The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO Launcher Crashes on Update 9/04/2018

• Andreakos
    Andreakos
    ✭✭✭
    Solved
    Edited by Andreakos on April 20, 2019 8:32AM
  • tbonewatson_ESO
    tbonewatson_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Great.
  • dark_zebra
    Had the same problems today.... I shut down the launcher in Task manager, set the launcher to manual update then run a repair. Had to restart the computer once when it hung up, but this process has been working (FOR ME) since September.
  • Mizael
    Mizael
    ✭✭✭✭
    same problem, since months.launcher crashing while downloading
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same problem
  • Medivh50
    Medivh50
    ✭✭✭
    Trelfar wrote: »
    I'm glad the firewall workaround is working for others too. I can confirm that after implementing it last week, this week's patch came down for me with zero intervention needed.

I've expanded the instructions slightly and published them as a public guide on the Steam community. The link is here and also in my signature:

GUIDE: Stop the ESO Launcher from hanging every time there is an update
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1680900985

Good luck everyone!

This work around did not work for me. I had very high hopes that it would but alas it does not. I am still faced with the same launcher crashes.
    Stam Sorc ~ Ride Simpletree
    Pet Sorc ~ Scrupulous Simpletree
    Mag Warden ~ Sinister Simpletree
    Necro ~ Mystic Simpletree

"I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee."
    —Every single guard, everywhere.
  • Medivh50
    Medivh50
    ✭✭✭
    This issue has been since September. Before that patch, I did not have any issue updating ESO. I used to play it on Steam. When this bug hit, I thought it was Steam so I reinstalled it from the ZOS launcher and not threw Steam. And it still persists today. What are we suppose to do? I am a paying customer that wants to play this game with my friends. What is this sooo hard fix or at the very least get an answer?
    Stam Sorc ~ Ride Simpletree
    Pet Sorc ~ Scrupulous Simpletree
    Mag Warden ~ Sinister Simpletree
    Necro ~ Mystic Simpletree

"I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee."
    —Every single guard, everywhere.
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another patch week, another requirement to use VPN to download it. Y'alls ability to recognize your OWN problem is quite alarming.
    Edited by itsfatbass on March 26, 2019 12:38AM
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medivh50 wrote: »
    I'm glad the firewall workaround is working for others too. I can confirm that after implementing it last week, this week's patch came down for me with zero intervention needed.

I've expanded the instructions slightly and published them as a public guide on the Steam community. The link is here and also in my signature:

Good luck everyone!

This work around did not work for me. I had very high hopes that it would but alas it does not. I am still faced with the same launcher crashes.

Try the VPN trick. Download a free VPN turn it on and BOOM your launcher will patch fine then.
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • dirkhed
    dirkhed
    Soul Shriven

Good luck everyone!

Second week in a row, and this has worked again! Still blocking the same CDN IP address as last week, and this week I didn't have to touch a thing. Worked for my girlfriend, too. The VPN solution seems "quaint" all of a sudden.
  • lonaboy
    lonaboy
    Soul Shriven
    The firewall fix didn't work initially. After the launcher crashed I looked in the new log file and it was using a different address. I blocked this second address too and then everything worked. I now have 2 addresses blocked for the launcher - xxx.xxx.xxx.101 and xxx.xxx.xxx.103.

• Trelfar
    Trelfar
    ✭✭
    lonaboy wrote: »
    The firewall fix didn't work initially. After the launcher crashed I looked in the new log file and it was using a different address. I blocked this second address too and then everything worked. I now have 2 addresses blocked for the launcher - xxx.xxx.xxx.101 and xxx.xxx.xxx.103

That's useful feedback, I will make a note in the guide for others to check if the launcher is trying a second address if blocking the first address doesn't help.
    ZOS finally got the launcher to stop hanging every time there is an update - if the problem comes back, click here for the workaround.
  • WeaselGod
    WeaselGod
    ✭✭✭
    Was able to download the latest patch through the launcher today with no issue, any one else have the same?
  • Tralax
    Tralax
    Soul Shriven
    Downloaded latest patch, I hit play and literally nothing happens.
  • Mizael
    Mizael
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dowloaded again the entire game and have no more issues, hope it stays like this
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh hey,

They finally fixed the launcher updating. It only took em since September 2018 and a whole lot of blame directed to the ISPs.

Congrats ZOS!
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Sureshawt
    Sureshawt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be updating for me fine for me now as well. Surprised they haven't updated the thread....LOL
  • Trelfar
    Trelfar
    ✭✭
    After a few weeks with no patches I was finally able to confirm this today. I disabled my firewall rules and the patcher worked normally.
    Sureshawt wrote: »
    Surprised they haven't updated the thread....LOL
    I'm not. That would require them to admit that the patcher was the problem in the first place.

The Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe is currently signed with a digital signature indicating it was last updated on 3/28, and a few days after that the regular stream of comments on my Steam guide stopped. It seems pretty obvious they made a code change to resolve this, but after months of blaming everyone else I doubt they will want to confess that it was within their power to fix all along.
    ZOS finally got the launcher to stop hanging every time there is an update - if the problem comes back, click here for the workaround.
  • Ruenn
    Ruenn
    Perhaps a bit ironic, since the April patch seemed to help some people, but my launcher has crashed since that patch. I play on a Macbook Pro and use Steam. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can try to help?
  • Trelfar
    Trelfar
    ✭✭
    Ruenn wrote: »
    Perhaps a bit ironic, since the April patch seemed to help some people, but my launcher has crashed since that patch. I play on a Macbook Pro and use Steam. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can try to help?

Even if it was the same issue (and I don't know enough about the Mac ESO Launcher to say either way), the OS X firewall doesn't have the functionality to block outgoing connections the way the Windows Firewall does. If you are able to find the Launcher log and can see the same behavior with downloads failing, you might try a trial of Little Snitch to implement firewall rules the way I did on Windows.

You could also maybe try one of the free VPN solutions from earlier in this thread to see if that helps.
  • Ruenn
    Ruenn
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! The VPN service did allow me to log in, but it seems that I need to have it on every time I log in, not just while downloading the patch. I am going to run out of 'free' VPN services well before the month is out. But at least I can get in game while I try to figure this out.

Support tells me that it is an ISP issue and has washed their hands of the problem. I have talked to my ISP service provided and they say it is a game issue. Have no idea what else to do to resolve this!!!
  • Nadoregis
    Nadoregis
    Soul Shriven
    Looks fixed now, anyone else still have this issue?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruenn wrote: »
    The VPN service did allow me to log in, but it seems that I need to have it on every time I log in, not just while downloading the patch. I am going to run out of 'free' VPN services well before the month is out. But at least I can get in game while I try to figure this out.

Support tells me that it is an ISP issue and has washed their hands of the problem. I have talked to my ISP service provided and they say it is a game issue. Have no idea what else to do to resolve this!!!

If you need a VPN to make it work, the first thing I would consider is a new ISP. Either that or a long term VPN subscription.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Jarndyce
    Jarndyce
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone confirm that this has been fixed? I have been using a VPN for downloading updates. I would prefer to not have to use the VPN for tomorrow's uninstall/reinstall of the game.
  • Trelfar
    Trelfar
    ✭✭
    Jarndyce wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that this has been fixed?
    I can only repeat what I posted back in May: it's working for me and has worked ever since without VPN.

However, there seems to be more than one potential problem that can be worked around by using a VPN. The specific issue this thread was about definitely appears to be fixed.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is over a year old and related to a previously resolved issue, we will be closing the thread. You are welcome to start a new thread if you are having a similar issue.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.