The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO Launcher Crashes on Update 9/04/2018

• devlyn1
    devlyn1
    Just to update, we're continuing to work with some external groups on a resolution. Also, if you haven't done so already, please submit a ticket with Support so we can send you some updates via those channels too. Thanks!

We submitted a ticket in the help function (bugs and feedback). Hope you all figure it out soon
  • oshaugm
    oshaugm
    ✭✭✭
    Xk3koax wrote: »
    oshaugm wrote: »

@ZOS_GinaBruno I have Verizon FIOS. I tried to submit a Support ticket, but I could not find a "submit" button on the web assistant after I had entered my details. :s

You have to add a file into the file attachment then the button will show.

Thank you very much, report submitted. *suppressing major rant on buggy bug report process*
  • MakeshiftSage
    MakeshiftSage
    Soul Shriven
    This work around worked for me 1pm EST 9/5

If you are having the exact same problem mentioned, as in you ran the game consultant and got the whitelist error repeated a million times, this might work. Just patch using a VPN. Launcher just strait up doesn't crash. Funny how easily the blue bar went 0 - 100% patched compared to the hours of frustration yesterday.

Thanks this worked for me! I just used the VPN for the patch then turned it off and I am in game now.
    Edited by MakeshiftSage on September 6, 2018 1:58AM
  • technogeek64
    technogeek64
    Soul Shriven
    For whatever it's worth, I am having the same issue. As with others, I use spectrum. I have tried to lodge a support ticket, but the interface isn't working, when I try to login nothing happens.
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to update, we're continuing to work with some external groups on a resolution. Also, if you haven't done so already, please submit a ticket with Support so we can send you some updates via those channels too. Thanks!

@ZOS_GinaBruno

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Ticket #180905-004215 has been submitted.

View My Support to submit any updates to open support tickets and view your complete support ticket history.

Please don't forget about me, I'm not sure how to submit that ticket, but this is mine. Please help us.
    Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

ESO Beta Test Ultimate Question for control!
    Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
  • devlyn1
    devlyn1

If you are having the exact same problem mentioned, as in you ran the game consultant and got the whitelist error repeated a million times, this might work. Just patch using a VPN. Launcher just strait up doesn't crash. Funny how easily the blue bar went 0 - 100% patched compared to the hours of frustration yesterday.

Thanks this worked for me! I just used the VPN for the patch then turned it off and I am in game now.

Used the VPN?
  • sirano
    sirano
    Soul Shriven
    I am having the same problem and I have tried all the suggestions mentioned in this thread also tried in completely different machines with the same exact results. I have bypassed al firewalls either in the comp and on the router and i have forwarded the ports to no avail. also I have re installed the drivers for my graphic cards.
    Any suggestions or I just have to sit back and wait for a fix?
  • Axtremulus
    Axtremulus
    Soul Shriven
    ... I have been trying alot because I am really interested in getting the 100k gold end of month for daily reward. It is going to suck if I miss it because I was not able to log in a day... I don't think that is really right.

Curious about this as well. @ZOS_GinaBruno is there any chance those of us effected could get caught up on login rewards for the days we're unable to login until the issue is resolved?

I wouldn't have missed the login days had it not been for the failing launcher :\ Here's hoping it's as simple a fix as possible!
  • liam.achuelab14_ESO
    liam.achuelab14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    same problem here! launcher patches till about 8% and says "Download Stalled" and crashes... I'm also from Hawai'i and using Spectrum unfortunately....
    Edited by liam.achuelab14_ESO on September 7, 2018 12:18AM
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to play my game, I don't care about the rewards. I pay for the game. Please just help me. My thread was locked about my issue which may or may not be the same as this original poster, I even provided screen shot, and an actual video of what happens. How fair is that? That my comments are going unresponded to posting in someone elses thread, just saying.
    Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
  • sirano
    sirano
    Soul Shriven
    Same here in hawaii and with Spectrum, they say they have nothing to do with it.
  • lordhakai
    lordhakai
    ✭✭✭
    I have spectrum and i got supreme lag this game it unplayable i log while standing in my own house.
  • Haubbit
    Haubbit
    Soul Shriven
    So no updates to the launcher issue? That's unfortunate, I was hoping it was resolved by now. I've tried sending in a ticket but my log-in is finicky and won't let me log onto the support site.
  • HiLyfe808
    HiLyfe808
    ✭✭✭✭
    so i decided the only thing i didn't try was a vpn and i seen someone mention it. I was able to download it and i can log into the game just fine now. It was my choice to go that route and not happy i had to pay to use a service (again by choice).

I hope this issue is resolved soon. I also hope this issue whatever caused it gets fixed and noted for future patches cause this ain't right.
  • sirano
    sirano
    Soul Shriven
    Ticket #180906-000750 has been submitted.
    Edited by sirano on September 6, 2018 10:01AM
  • waigorrun
    waigorrun
    I was able to get the patch to download via my mobile hotspot, even though my mobile carrier is also Verizon. I imagine people (well laptop users) can try using Starbucks or other public carriers as well.

• ahsen74
    ahsen74
    Soul Shriven

Thanks for that information. After trying many different things, I read the above, and it worked for me!

To those who don't have a VPN, I didn't have 1 either. I specifically set one up to try to get ESO working. I found an article from Tom's Hardware listing the best free VPNs of 2018, and ended up using 1 called Windscribe. It was very simple to install and get up and running, and comes with free 10GB of data usage. I just turned on the VPN, then kicked of the Launcher, let it complete its updates, and then turned off the VPN. The game has been running fine since.
  • reekHavoc
    reekHavoc
    Soul Shriven
    eckertt001 wrote: »
    If anyone is interested, I was able to find a work around. You need 2 files you can download by clicking the links below: 'game_player_293to294.z01' and 'depot_248to249.z01'.

http://142.129.4.67:80/data/07a8ac6f64dc6069/live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_248to249/depot_248to249.z01

http://142.129.4.67:80/data/05a8797ac260299e/live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/game_player/game_player_293to294/game_player_293to294.z01

These files go into separate folders within '\The Elder Scrolls Online\depot' and '\The Elder Scrolls Online\game'. I do not recall what the folders were called, however if you search within 'The Elders Scrolls Online' folder, you should find files with the same name, that Windows identifies as 'Partial Download'.

You will have to kill the Launcher process a couple of times to make sure everything kicks in.

I can also confirm this work around - I copied the two files:

depot_248to249.z01 into my
    \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\depot

and

game_player_293to294.z01 into my
    \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\???

There was a subfolder ??? that existed while I was stuck under the game folder that is now gone (removed after update succeeds)? The folder name was something like "game_player".

On starting the game, the launcher opened and the progress bar moved to 100% and I am now back online.

BTW, Verizon FiOS. Good luck all.
  • Brewergnome
    Brewergnome
    Soul Shriven
    Fixed manually using a version of what was mentioned above. Because the launcher seemed to be corrupted, I did a reinstall. This killed the other patches too, so I had 5 files to go through, but it did work.

I have Verizon, but not FIOS.

Used the "host.developer" file (opens as a text file) to find the file its stalled on, copy-pasted the link into a web-browser and downloaded it in. Rinse, repeat.

If you bomb out the launcher before it overruns the memory buffer and crashes, you get a much smaller (and thus faster) host.developer file to load.

With a reinstall, I had 5 files to load. They go in the "depot" "game_player" and "vo_en" folders respectively (where you'll see ones that look identical labeled "partial download" that are the same size.

https://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_233to235/depot_233to235.z01

http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_245to247/depot_245to247.z01

http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_245to247/depot_245to247.z02

http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/game_player/game_player_293to294/game_player_293to294.z01

http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/vo_en/vo_en_241to243/vo_en_241to243.z01
  • TheMightyHans
    TheMightyHans
    Soul Shriven
    For me, I fixed it by connecting to my smartphone's hotspot to download the update, which then still crashed when I clicked Play. So I ran the repair option and it works great now.
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reekHavoc wrote: »
    eckertt001 wrote: »
    If anyone is interested, I was able to find a work around. You need 2 files you can download by clicking the links below: 'game_player_293to294.z01' and 'depot_248to249.z01'.

http://142.129.4.67:80/data/07a8ac6f64dc6069/live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_248to249/depot_248to249.z01

http://142.129.4.67:80/data/05a8797ac260299e/live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/game_player/game_player_293to294/game_player_293to294.z01

These files go into separate folders within '\The Elder Scrolls Online\depot' and '\The Elder Scrolls Online\game'. I do not recall what the folders were called, however if you search within 'The Elders Scrolls Online' folder, you should find files with the same name, that Windows identifies as 'Partial Download'.

You will have to kill the Launcher process a couple of times to make sure everything kicks in.

I can also confirm this work around - I copied the two files:

depot_248to249.z01 into my
    \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\depot

and

game_player_293to294.z01 into my
    \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\???

There was a subfolder ??? that existed while I was stuck under the game folder that is now gone (removed after update succeeds)? The folder name was something like "game_player".

On starting the game, the launcher opened and the progress bar moved to 100% and I am now back online.

BTW, Verizon FiOS. Good luck all.

Note that this ends up being a two step process. You need to delete->replace the 'depot' file and then run the patcher again. That will advance to the point were it will try (and fail) to download the 'game' file. You will then be able to delete->replace that file and finish the patching.
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    To update everyone on the patcher issue, we can confirm this is an ISP issue. We’ve reached out to the internet providers who are blocking the associated files, and at this point, it’s up to them to resolve the problem. In the meantime, using a different network path could fix the problem and allow you to fully patch the game since this issue only affects certain files. In this case, you could try using VPN or using a different network or WiFi connection. You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

We are currently looking into ways to prevent ISPs from doing this to our traffic in the future. Thanks for everyone’s patience, and if you require further assistance, we encourage you to reach out to our Support Team.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Sureshawt
    Sureshawt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still having issue as of last night.

Non-steam

Verizon FIOS

@ZOS_GinaBruno Weird that an ISP would suddenly start blocking files needed for an update or did the format of the files change on your end?

I get plenty of updates for other games through my ISP so saying it is up to them to resolve the issue is not an acceptable response.

I will not be changing my ISP just so I can update and play your game.
  • Cuthceol
    Cuthceol
    ✭✭✭
    To update everyone on the patcher issue, we can confirm this is an ISP issue. We’ve reached out to the internet providers who are blocking the associated files, and at this point, it’s up to them to resolve the problem. In the meantime, using a different network path could fix the problem and allow you to fully patch the game since this issue only affects certain files. In this case, you could try using VPN or using a different network or WiFi connection. You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

We are currently looking into ways to prevent ISPs from doing this to our traffic in the future. Thanks for everyone’s patience, and if you require further assistance, we encourage you to reach out to our Support Team.

Which ISPs are involved please?
  • demonicz101
    demonicz101
    Soul Shriven

I will try this tonight but I would still like to know if I will qualify for the 100k gold. . I do not completely agree this is ISP. As others have stated I can still update many other games. I don't think this is fair at all if me and others have to miss out on this. Is there a way we can still get it if we get up manually and log in rest of month?
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I will try this tonight but I would still like to know if I will qualify for the 100k gold. . I do not completely agree this is ISP. As others have stated I can still update many other games. I don't think this is fair at all if me and others have to miss out on this. Is there a way we can still get it if we get up manually and log in rest of month?

Did you not read what Gina said? She said the ISPs are blocking certain FILES... other games are not going to have the same files and therefore wouldn't be blocking them. Just as some ISPs throttle their customers, they can also block and filter certain types of content or files as well.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • demonicz101
    demonicz101
    Soul Shriven
    That's fine and completely understandable. I was just wondering if there was something that can be done about dailys. That 100k could pretty much max the bag slots on alt lol.
  • Sureshawt
    Sureshawt
    ✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

Did you not read what Gina said? She said the ISPs are blocking certain FILES... other games are not going to have the same files and therefore wouldn't be blocking them. Just as some ISPs throttle their customers, they can also block and filter certain types of content or files as well.

We both read what she said and it doesn't make sense that my other games can be updated fine but ZoS suddenly has some files that are being blocked.

I have also been playing and updating ESO fine since Open Beta with this same ISP so something doesn't add up with this response.

Edited by Sureshawt on September 6, 2018 4:08PM
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭

Umm, Yes GAWD dmmt! I do need assistance because:
    Xk3koax wrote: »
    so i decided the only thing i didn't try was a vpn and i seen someone mention it. I was able to download it and i can log into the game just fine now. It was my choice to go that route and not happy i had to pay to use a service (again by choice).

I hope this issue is resolved soon. I also hope this issue whatever caused it gets fixed and noted for future patches cause this ain't right.

1. I don't know where to go to do that from my home:
    waigorrun wrote: »
    I was able to get the patch to download via my mobile hotspot, even though my mobile carrier is also Verizon. I imagine people (well laptop users) can try using Starbucks or other public carriers as well.

I have a desktop, not taking it to starbucks anytime soon, I'll be arrested or mugged and:
    Fixed manually using a version of what was mentioned above. Because the launcher seemed to be corrupted, I did a reinstall. This killed the other patches too, so I had 5 files to go through, but it did work.

I have Verizon, but not FIOS.

Used the "host.developer" file (opens as a text file) to find the file its stalled on, copy-pasted the link into a web-browser and downloaded it in. Rinse, repeat.

If you bomb out the launcher before it overruns the memory buffer and crashes, you get a much smaller (and thus faster) host.developer file to load.

With a reinstall, I had 5 files to load. They go in the "depot" "game_player" and "vo_en" folders respectively (where you'll see ones that look identical labeled "partial download" that are the same size.

https://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_233to235/depot_233to235.z01

http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_245to247/depot_245to247.z01

http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_245to247/depot_245to247.z02

http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/game_player/game_player_293to294/game_player_293to294.z01

http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/vo_en/vo_en_241to243/vo_en_241to243.z01

I have no idea what dahellz theyre talking about. To do all that, Zenimax, you're going to have to use teamviewer with me to do all that yourself. Because I haven't a clue.

I'm sorry , I am frustrated, this is not my fault. All I know is I buy a game and I leave it up to the developers and publishers to do what is expected. I don't control this game, you do. Why are you making it so difficult? You know there is a problem that can't or won't be fixed right now so why not open up another avenue to let us reinstal the older gawddamnd version so we can at least play while your legal department figures out how to tell ISP people to stop blocking a game file like a virus.

?

Ok so you want us to reach out to support, well you know my answers as seen above, so you know nothing is going to work and I basically have a $10,000 game on my computer that doesn't work. I bought this base game twice, off the web then off steam just so that I can post on the steam forums then like an idiot, ESO plus subber, and a fool with holes in his pockets, buying crown after crown after crown........after crown. Do the math. I have. Well over $10,000 now on your $80 game.

Thanks.

• devlyn1
    devlyn1

Problem with that theory is I have two computers and two accounts. The Laptop will not download but the desktop will. Same inet connection same provider same router. So I don't think you can pawn this one off on the ISP, that being said, connecting to my Cell phone did allow it to download the patch. maybe its more toward a virus protection. I use webroot but maybe windows defender was stopping it somehow.
    Edited by devlyn1 on September 6, 2018 5:55PM
This discussion has been closed.