Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bosmer Racial change that is illogical and unnecessary

• Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Who in the high holy heck is the Bosmer class rep, anyways, and how do we recall them to get someone else to represent us?
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on February 5, 2019 5:10AM
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who in the high holy heck is the Bosmer class rep, anyways, and how do we recall them to get someone else to represent us?

They (the class reps) did address that topic, it's just that ZOS has chosen to ignore their feedback (you can read the meeting notes in one of the pinned messages). The answer (that they really couldn't been bothered to include in the latest patch note ...) is basically just a raised middle finger to the all Bosmer players that care about their race identity.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They (the class reps) did address that topic, it's just that ZOS has chosen to ignore their feedback (you can read the meeting notes in one of the pinned messages). The answer (that they really couldn't been bothered to include in the latest patch note ...) is basically just a raised middle finger to the all Bosmer players that care about their race identity.

That's what I find most frustrating. (from the notes)
    "Reps specifically asked about the community’s concern that bosmers are trading stealth for different buffs. We were told that ZOS saw these concerns and would work on creating more options/systems for stealth gameplay outside of race."
    They completely ignored that the major concern was that Bosmer were trading their stealth for a buff that has no utility outside of PVP. Bosmer are the only race that have a passive exclusive to PVP.

By their own admission, stealth detection is useless in PVE, yet instead of acknowledging that mistake, ZOS doubled down and continued to tinker with the rest of the passive, adding a nonsensical and highly situational penetration buff that no one asked for.

Edit: [They meaning the devs, not class reps]
    Edited by anadandy on February 5, 2019 2:05PM
  • TheMikrobe
    TheMikrobe
    ✭✭
    My stealth character is a khajiit. My bosmer is no-stealth bow/bow with dodge roll as the main defence. The changes as they stand are great for me, and I still wish bosmers had some stealth boost.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »

That's what I find most frustrating. (from the notes)
    "Reps specifically asked about the community’s concern that bosmers are trading stealth for different buffs. We were told that ZOS saw these concerns and would work on creating more options/systems for stealth gameplay outside of race."
    They completely ignored that the major concern was that Bosmer were trading their stealth for a buff that has no utility outside of PVP. Bosmer are the only race that have a passive exclusive to PVP.

By their own admission, stealth detection is useless in PVE, yet instead of acknowledging that mistake, ZOS doubled down and continued to tinker with the rest of the passive, adding a nonsensical and highly situational penetration buff that no one asked for.

Edit: [They meaning the devs, not class reps]

I don't think they understand that "hey, you'll be able to stealth exactly as well as every other non-cat race," is NOT a selling point.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they understand that "hey, you'll be able to stealth exactly as well as every other non-cat race," is NOT a selling point.

I just can't anymore. I'm tired of trying to explain others and ZOS who don't seem to understand that we're not complaining about the stam regen, or the flat stats or even losing the damage from stealth bonus. We're not all just minmaxers worried that we've lost .001% of our efficiency. It's that the core identity passive of Bosmer was swapped out for a passive that in one part is utterly useless outside of PVP and in the other part applies only to a very specific situational playstyle. Then asking us to be excited about the whole new world of viable playstyles that have opened up.

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

• KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Please look at the precedent of all the other Elder Scrolls games, Bosmer have always been more stealthy than every other race (except for Skyrim where Khajiit was only marginally more stealthy).

@ZOS_Lawrence_Schick

They don't even have to look at other games of the franchise. In ESO there are at least 3 quests where The Right of Theft is brought up. One of those quests is named as such and is, IIRC, part of the main questline for the AD content.

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, is Elsweyr refundable? I purchased it through the eso website.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.
    I feel more like they pee'd in our Wheaties.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't follow zos on twitter or reddit or anything. Has there been any mention of another pass at the bosmer racials beyond this site?
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    I don't follow zos on twitter or reddit or anything. Has there been any mention of another pass at the bosmer racials beyond this site?

I've been following this really closely - I'm super salty about the removal of the stealth passive. I have not seen ZOS comment outside of the class rep notes and patch notes.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dalsinthus wrote: »

I've been following this really closely - I'm super salty about the removal of the stealth passive. I have not seen ZOS comment outside of the class rep notes and patch notes.

I'm so salty salt looks at me and says, 'dude, too much.'
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give Little Leaf some place on the tree! We are used to be niche RP/PVP race for years, now you strip us even from this niche role!
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could sit in and listen to the meetings with the player advocates. It really feels like Zos does not really care about what the players want. They have a vision and they are sticking to it.

And this promise of someday in the future we will have a way of regaining the stealth through other means has little weight with me. When is this going to happen? In a year or two? Three? Maybe with the spell crafting patch?

If zos going to make a statement like that, it had better be in the current patch not in some future promise. I want to see the functionality of it right now. And it had better be at most level restricted, not hidden behind a "thieves guild" or PvP skill line.

This whole "We'll fix it later" attitude would be fine if I trusted them, but with these race changes all trust is gone.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If zos going to make a statement like that, it had better be in the current patch not in some future promise. I want to see the functionality of it right now. And it had better be at most level restricted, not hidden behind a "thieves guild" or PvP skill line.

This whole "We'll fix it later" attitude would be fine if I trusted them, but with these race changes all trust is gone.

This. Just this. If stealth is removed from the Bosmers, we need an alternate way to retain stealthy gameplay, and we need it at the same time as the removal.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And this promise of someday in the future we will have a way of regaining the stealth through other means has little weight with me. When is this going to happen? In a year or two? Three? Maybe with the spell crafting patch?

Truth.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! Maybe I should post this "Update & Meeting Notes - Jan 30, 2019 " thread?

I dunno. It feels like a double post which I hate doing. But to be honest, I have no idea if the developers read anything we write in this thread.

This whole thing, I... Arrrgh! It just has me so flustered.

• ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was pretty supportive of the changes they were making until recently. The changes to the bosmer dodge roll bonus makes sense, but the addition of penetration doesn't - why would I roll away just to go right back at the enemy?

I was trying to think of instances where I'm going to be using dodge roll the most, and it will likely be to roll through, or out of AoE's. However, this recent change encourages you to run back in, or to dodge roll before you attack, no? Won't most people just learn to simply block anytime they see an attacking wood elf dodge roll near them? That level of predictability seems counter-intuitive to the 'hunter' archetype they were going for.

I think I'd like to have that stealth passive back, instead. Or better yet, a 3m increase to detecting enemies, and a 3m decrease to being detected by enemies. >=D
    Bosmer Melee Magicka Nightblade
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

She retired just in time 😝. To complain with you.
  • TankinatorFR
    TankinatorFR
    ✭✭✭
    Well well well...
    I live the forum for a week, and when I come back, we are still in the same mess...
    What a surprise.

Oh no, excuse me, there is a change ; and if you consider that changing something without improving is is great, then, this change is great...

I really don't get it.
    Diversity for the sake of diversity is meaningless. Diversity for the sake of diversity that break the mean of things, that is even worse...
    Bosmers are stealthy, no matters if the Khajits are too.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well well well...
    I live the forum for a week, and when I come back, we are still in the same mess...
    What a surprise.

Oh no, excuse me, there is a change ; and if you consider that changing something without improving is is great, then, this change is great...

I really don't get it.
    Diversity for the sake of diversity is meaningless. Diversity for the sake of diversity that break the mean of things, that is even worse...

Yeah, tell me about it. I just learned about the race changes just before I left on a cruise. And then I had to use all of my onboard minutes patrolling the forums hoping what I read about the bosmers losing stealth was a mistake.

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well well well...
    What a surprise.

I really don't get it.

Yeah, tell me about it. I just learned about the race changes just before I left on a cruise. And then I had to use all of my onboard minutes patrolling the forums hoping what I read about the bosmers losing stealth was a mistake.

What makes you enjoy bosmer stealth? Lets talk about it. Would it resolve things say if you gained penetration with stealth. It would bring the issue of pvp passive thing again... but hey they said someday... oneday they will make stealth meaningful in pve too.

P.S Yes I think dodge roll penetration doesn't make sense. I would take penetration while moving or staying still as more nimblenesss or focus or even maybe just adding it as a stealth mechanic is right way?
    Edited by Tasear on February 7, 2019 7:10AM
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Well well well...
    What a surprise.

I really don't get it.

What makes you enjoy bosmer stealth? Lets talk about it.

Being able to ghost through a delve or public dungeon avoiding the little fights to get to the bosses. Like an assassin, delivering death but only to the target; leaving all of the mooks scratching their heads wondering where the heck that came from. That's the practical aspect. But also, it's just a lore thing. In almost any story that's in the game, if there's a Bosmer, they're a stealthy f'n archer (f'n is for freakin, so don't ban me bro). In every previous game since Morrowind (and in the lore of Daggerfall, if not gameplay) Bosmers were stealthy f'n archers.
    Would it resolve things say if you gained penetration with stealth. It would bring the issue of pvp passive thing again... but hey they said someday... oneday they will make stealth meaningful in pve too.
    If they want to lay the groundwork for adding counter-stealth in PVE, that's great, but you can't take away something that is useful NOW for something that maybe, possibly, might be useful later. And I have given examples where counter-stealth could be useful in an overland or dungeon situations: there's crouching archers around bandit camps, put 'em in stealth. You could have stealthed sentries in dungeons guarding the maguffin (hey dictionary, that's a word) of doom.

And if you want to take most of the stealth away from the Khajiit and Bosmer and spread it around to everyone, that's fine so long as these two races BOTH still get a slight bonus because that's the established lore. But, it's got to be all at once. Put 1m of hiding bonus in the TG passives and 1m in the DB passives, and let 'em stack with each other and the racials; or, even better, put a 2m hiding bonus in the legerdemain skill line somewhere. Give Khajiit a 2m hiding bonus in their passive and a 1m hiding bonus to the Bosmer passive along with the detection bonus (or the other way around, there's backstory enough for it to go either way). [edit to add:] I just have always found it odd that there was no stealth boost for thieves and assassins, when they should really have something on the guild or class level for this skill. Putting a huge boost to stealth in two racial passives was a bit of a shortcut that has lasted too long. It should be a smaller boost from the racial passives, with half or more coming from a skill that is available to every race. [/edit]

I'm not a fan of the other (to me more gimmicky) things like movement speed in stealth, or bonus damage from stealth (though it was nice). It's about How Not to be Seen. There's a nice PSA from the BBC on that on the youtubes.
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on February 7, 2019 2:53PM
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes you enjoy bosmer stealth? Lets talk about it. Would it resolve things say if you gained penetration with stealth. It would bring the issue of pvp passive thing again... but hey they said someday... one day they will make stealth meaningful in pve too.

My preferred class has always been the Ranger/Archer (see my avatar). Every TES game, I've played a Bosmer in at least one playthrough. When I started ESO, I chose NB even though I didn't care for the assassination/siphoning skills lines because it was the closest ranger type class there was - I rarely use any NB skills lines (What?! But All Bosmer are permacloaking snipe spamming gankblades! THEY SAID SO! /sarcasm)

Why do I enjoy Bosmer stealth? I like being able to slip in and out of spaces without being seen. Avoiding trash mobs so I can go right for the boss, or the objective. Scouting ahead, sneaking into position to flank a monster with my group. Looting chests, being able to pick a resource node without alerting the annoying skeevers.

Losing the stealth radius is a bitter pill indeed, but it would go down easier if there was some indication that the changes made any logical sense. Instead, it's replaced with a severely limiting passive and when we raise that concern - they doggedly keep focusing on that roll dodge mechanic. I don't care about being BiS, but I do care that Bosmer can be viable in all types of play - not just roll dodge PVP builds. And certainly not giving us a passive (stealth detection) that is only good in PVP. I saw one of the class reps post a screenshot of the Hide of Morihaus set in another thread. Is that supposed to be some kind of solution? Bosmer pigeonholed into wearing a HEAVY armor set to take advantage of an otherwise useless passive?

If "Hunter's Eye" is a utility passive, then it needs to have utility in most aspects of the game - not a very small subset of them. Lower cost dodge roll, decreased movement penalty in stealth, greater accuracy at range - there have been some great ideas thrown about that have been ignored or argued against because of this pathological fear of gankers.

I've played on the PTS, I don't use addons like Srendarr etc, so I can't scientifically prove anything - but my Bosmer doesn't *feel* any better in a way that makes losing stealth worthwhile. The movement bonus is negligible - I already have her tricked out to be a speedy little elf - the roll dodge is clunky. By the time she does it and gets back into position - most of the "bonus" timer is gone and I've wasted a GCD.

I've said all this before in various places, as have other people. I don't really have any expectation that it's going to be listened to this time. I'm not going to quit, or change races - but I will save those 3SPs in "Hunter's Eye" and put them somewhere else and maybe not play as much.

I apologize for being long winded.

Edit to add: Frankly, I care less about how they tweak that crap passive than getting my stealth radius back.
    Edited by anadandy on February 7, 2019 5:08PM
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How I would fix this:

1. In THIS PATCH (not some future patch to be determined in some future era but right now) I would put a .5m hiding bonus for each level of the Improved Hiding passive in the legerdemain skill line.
    2. Add 1m hiding bonus to the Bosmer starting passive, Acrobat. It would never improve. This would reflect the innate bonus to hiding that their nimbleness and small size would allow.
    3. Reduce the maximum hiding bonus for Khajiit to 2m, otherwise they are back at the comedic 5m jumping jacks on guards' toes level of invisibility if they max out the Improved Hiding skill. I would scale it .5/1/2m for each level of the passive.
    4. Hunter's Eye: I would leave mostly unchanged; I would increase the time of the movement bonus to match Hasty Retreat (4s instead of 3s), and the penetration bonus should be just a flat bonus for using a bow (well, it would scale with each point in the passive, but y'know what I mean) without the roll-dodge condition. The value would probably need to be balanced down a bit, though. Here I am putting faith in the devs, that they will deliver on some way of making the counter-stealth passive actually mean something in PVE. Making the penetration bonus conditional on using a bow is to reflect the Bosmer affinity for archery from lore. If you don't want to be a stealthy f'n archer, why are you a Bosmer? You are deliberately playing against type, and that means you are going to miss out on some bonuses.

What this does, it makes Bosmer the best at hiding, but only at level 1. A Bosmer who never takes a point in the legerdemain skill line will not be better at hiding than a Breton who takes them all; and that's fine. Actually, it SHOULD be that way. As people level up, eventually everyone can have some bonus to hiding, Bosmer who choose to will have a slight bonus, and the Khajiit who choose to would have a bonus beyond that. The net impact, from a hiding perspective, is every race would have 2m of extra hiding bonus that they don't have now, so they win. Bosmer can end up with 3m of hiding bonus so they remain the same (which at this point is a huge win). Khajiit can end up with 4m of hiding bonus, which is still 1m more than they have now, so THEY win. Everyone wins. No-one loses anything.

edit to clarify which Bosmer passive would get the bonus to hiding.
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on February 7, 2019 3:50PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes you enjoy bosmer stealth? Lets talk about it. Would it resolve things say if you gained penetration with stealth. It would bring the issue of pvp passive thing again... but hey they said someday... oneday they will make stealth meaningful in pve too.

First, I think stealth is meaningful now. Like @Cundu_Ertur mentioned, for a long time I was entering public dungeons and sneaking around just to explore.The ability to stealth opens up the game to exploration in ways I can't do on my unstealthy characters. And stealth helped me complete the mages guild dailies that involved the public dungeons.

I also enjoy the thrill of slipping past enemies and hiding until the "coast is clear" to proceed. Or simply waiting until a stray moves away so I can ambush them without alerting the rest of the pack.

Craglorn (before the redesign) opened up to me because of stealth. And I got my "Savior of Nirn" title largely because in Cyrodiil I was in stealth and stayed away from PvP.

I think that's what I will miss the most. The feeling I can go into someplace that would be too dangerous for me and be able to see areas of the game I would not be able to normally. The loss of stealth signals to me that any future exploration will be limited or just not possible. And that really takes away a huge enjoyment of the game for me.

Also,

WP.S Yes I think dodge roll penetration doesn't make sense. I would take penetration while moving or staying still as more nimblenesss or focus or even maybe just adding it as a stealth mechanic is right way?

Honestly I don't care what the other part of the passive is like. I really am focused on the stealth.

I think the roll mechanic in game is clumsily implemented, and I rarely utilize it. Most of the time if I do pull off a roll its by accident, and I am usually too surprised I did it to do much else. The Pee Wee Herman joke "I meant to do that!" usually pops into my head when it happens. Armor Pen, speed, whatever not really that important to me.

That being said I hope that the roll/damage is not a factor in determining the overall dps of bosmers. I really don't want to work it into a "rotation". I think a defensive roll that creates an immunity to snares or provides a short armor buff or something is fine. I still won't use it, but at least it won't feel as if my dps is low because I am not using it.

Or if they want to eliminate this "roll" and replace it with something else entirely I am more than happy to see it go as a passive.

•••
    If they want to lay the groundwork for adding counter-stealth in PVE, that's great, but you can't take away something that is useful NOW for something that maybe, possibly, might be useful later. And I have given examples where counter-stealth could be useful in an overland or dungeon situations: there's crouching archers around bandit camps, put 'em in stealth. You could have stealthed sentries in dungeons guarding the maguffin (hey dictionary, that's a word) of doom.

And if you want to take most of the stealth away from the Khajiit and Bosmer and spread it around to everyone, that's fine so long as these two races BOTH still get a slight bonus because that's the established lore. But, it's got to be all at once. Put 1m of hiding bonus in the TG passives and 1m in the DB passives, and let 'em stack with each other and the racials; or, even better, put a 2m hiding bonus in the legerdemain skill line somewhere. Give Khajiit a 2m hiding bonus in their passive and a 1m hiding bonus to the Bosmer passive along with the detection bonus (or the other way around, there's backstory enough for it to go either way). [edit to add:] I just have always found it odd that there was no stealth boost for thieves and assassins, when they should really have something on the guild or class level for this skill. Putting a huge boost to stealth in two racial passives was a bit of a shortcut that has lasted too long. It should be a smaller boost from the racial passives, with half or more coming from a skill that is available to every race. [/edit]

I'm not a fan of the other (to me more gimmicky) things like movement speed in stealth, or bonus damage from stealth (though it was nice). It's about How Not to be Seen. There's a nice PSA from the BBC on that on the youtubes.

I agree with most of this except the ledgerman part. Just because a character sneaks does not mean they are thieves (I know bosmers "rite of theft", but lets just move on.) Players can be sneaky because they are scouts, hunters, or just explorers. A more open approach I think would be more appealing. I think it's own skill line that increases as the player attacks creatures from stealth or do other stealth related (yet non criminal) actions in game. Kind of like the sneak skill in skyrim, it grew not because the character was a thief or assassin, but because your character sneaked around.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because a character sneaks does not mean they are thieves (I know bosmers "rite of theft", but lets just move on.) Players can be sneaky because they are scouts, hunters, or just explorers. A more open approach I think would be more appealing. I think it's own skill line that increases as the player attacks creatures from stealth or do other stealth related (yet non criminal) actions in game. Kind of like the sneak skill in skyrim, it grew not because the character was a thief or assassin, but because your character sneaked around.

This is brilliant - the same can be said for just because a character sneaks doesn't make them a ganker. Some kind of stealth skill line - or dare I say - a ranger skill line... :)

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because a character sneaks does not mean they are thieves (I know bosmers "rite of theft", but lets just move on.) Players can be sneaky because they are scouts, hunters, or just explorers. A more open approach I think would be more appealing. I think it's own skill line that increases as the player attacks creatures from stealth or do other stealth related (yet non criminal) actions in game. Kind of like the sneak skill in skyrim, it grew not because the character was a thief or assassin, but because your character sneaked around.

This is brilliant - the same can be said for just because a character sneaks doesn't make them a ganker. Some kind of stealth skill line - or dare I say - a ranger skill line... :)

Thanks! And I think it would be easy to implement (I could be wrong, I am not a game developer). And the skill line could be enhanced with other things like speed while stealthed, shorten the time it takes to go into stealth, and other things like pick locks while stealthed.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem I see with the new skill line approach is that we'd be losing now to get, maybe, later. Legerdemain is not limited to thieves, it's available to everyone from the start [edit to add: it is part of the base game, no DLC required, too]. Thieves and assassins already have their own skill lines that are separate from it. Also, the skill in legerdemain is called 'improved hiding' but it doesn't actually, y'know, improve hiding. It improves moving around in hiding, but not the act of hiding itself.
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on February 7, 2019 6:35PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem I see with the new skill line approach is that we'd be losing now to get, maybe, later. Legerdemain is not limited to thieves, it's available to everyone from the start [edit to add: it is part of the base game, no DLC required, too]. Thieves and assassins already have their own skill lines that are separate from it. Also, the skill in legerdemain is called 'improved hiding' but it doesn't actually, y'know, improve hiding. It improves moving around in hiding, but not the act of hiding itself.

Yeah exactly. I want to see the "replacement for stealth" first before I am ok with the "we'll fix it later" approach they are doing now. The only problem I see with putting it in ledgerman is that it is such a pain to level if you are not a thief. I was working on leveling it on an alt and all I am doing is running around looking for open world treasure chests on a loop. Not fun.