Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bosmer Racial change that is illogical and unnecessary

• Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Also in another thread someone pointed out

“”we kept parts of each the Wood Elf’s and the Khajiit’s version of these passives.“”

They kept no part of the Wood Elf version of this passive. Another contradiction in their own message.

I’m hoping this was a typo and they’ll get around to fixing it and all this was a bad dream.
    yeah, I've been making that point over and over. I hope it sinks in.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit found it.
    Greetings again everyone! Just wanted to give a quick update that we're planning on making some adjustments to the racial passives in the coming weeks on the PTS based on much of your feedback. We focused mainly on improving the identity of each race with the adjustments by either improving on key areas such as a boost to Resourceful for Argonians, or enhancing the accessibility some of the bonuses provide, such as a small redesign to Red Diamond for Imperials. Aside from numerical tweaks, new small bonuses, and slight redesigns, we have a change to the calculation for how Champion Points increase your Health, Magicka, and Stamina to make it easier to follow and impact more things that you'd expect.

Thank you again everyone for the feedback, we'll have more to share on the delivery of racial changes for Update 21 when we're ready, so keep an eye out on that Dev Tracker, and we can't wait for you all to get your hands on some of the changes!

So Bosmer have always been sneaky since the first game and this change is taking away their bonus to sneaking. This is opposite of your goal, no need to reinvent the wheel just to have something to do.

This isn’t complex really. Stealth detection is not useful. no where in pve. Even if a mechanic is shoehorned in the future, the entirety of the current content that is being sold to players today has No Use for a stealth detection passive. Detecting stealthed enemies does not apply to Pve and it should remain an active skill in pvp. Just as passive dodge was removed to promote an active need for roll dodge, so too, should stealth detect require a decision on the part of the player to send up flares (Magelight) or use AOE damage.
    Edited by max_only on January 29, 2019 11:32PM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t follow or use twitter anymore, do the devs post stuff there? I am just wondering if they said anything about the stealth issue there.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why not a speed buff while sneaking?

This way, Bosmer can be speedy little thieves vs Khajjit being undetectable thieves.
    Argonian forever
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This way, Bosmer can be speedy little thieves vs Khajjit being undetectable thieves.

That would be interesting and fit the hunter thingie... except that Bosmers won't be sneaky at all if they get JUST the speed buff while sneaky. +3m and speed bonus vs +5m for khajiits, I'm ok with that. +speed without stealth bonus would be rather meaningless.

We're gonna get Bosmers who are as adept at stealth as Orcs and Nords. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »

That would be interesting and fit the hunter thingie... except that Bosmers won't be sneaky at all if they get JUST the speed buff while sneaky. +3m and speed bonus vs +5m for khajiits, I'm ok with that. +speed without stealth bonus would be rather meaningless.

We're gonna get Bosmers who are as adept at stealth as Orcs and Nords. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Who needs to sneak if you can run faster than the game can comprehend? You will mitigate most damage and NPC aggro by it simply not registering it with the game. For evidence see the speed / swift meta prior to Murkmire - which FYI was slower than the new Bosmers!
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galarthor wrote: »

Who needs to sneak if you can run faster than the game can comprehend? You will mitigate most damage and NPC aggro by it simply not registering it with the game. For evidence see the speed / swift meta prior to Murkmire - which FYI was slower than the new Bosmers!

Why fix what ain’t broke?
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galarthor wrote: »

Oh? Have you tried doing the thief and assassin solo quests by just running fast? Can you do open world “restricted area” quests by just running fast?

And I did not know I can pick pockets while sprinting! /sarcasm

•••

There is quests and just basic game mechanics that require stealth. Just running is not going to cut it. If I could just sprint through these things I could do them on any high stam character.
    Many players rolled Bosmer because of the races natural stealth abilities. Not to be cruel to those who love bosmers, but beyond the stealth mechanic, there really is just not much of a reason to roll that race. If you are not interested in stealth (or lore) there are better choices for stamina based characters.
    If these changes go through there is even less of a reason to “roll” (pun not intended) a Bosmer. Just learning how to use a bow faster is not that compelling. /shrug
    Edited by BlueRaven on January 31, 2019 12:48PM
  • TheMikrobe
    TheMikrobe
    ✭✭

I play khajiit, so not too upset for my own character. In fact I like (or can live with) pretty much all the racial changes, but the loss of bosmer stealth is pretty much the only one I think is a bad decision. Personally I don't have a problem with khajiits and bosmers having the exact same stealth bonus, it's only one passive and the other passives make the races very different choices, but if they have to be different then I agree with this: give the bosmers increased speed when sneaking, say 25% (the same amount as slotting concealed weapon).
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I disagree. A speed boost while sneaking is fairly on par with Stealth Detection reduction in terms of PvE. Both have merits for stealing as 1 allows for more safe stealing, while the other offers more stealing via time saved. Then, in a PvP setting a speed buff while sneaking allows for far more maneuverability than being harder to find, especially when you're only an AoE away from being pulled from stealth anyways. Not to mention, a Khajiit vs Bosmer in a sneaking match, Bosmer does have 3m Stealth detection so in that specific scenario, you're only looking at a 2m stealth reduction vs movement speed while stealthed, which is pretty fair, all things considered.
    Edited by Silver_Strider on February 1, 2019 2:35PM
    Argonian forever
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I disagree. A speed boost while sneaking is fairly on par with Stealth Detection reduction in terms of PvE. Both have merits for stealing as 1 allows for more safe stealing, while the other offers more stealing via time saved. Then, ina PvP setting a speed buff while sneaking allows for far more maneuverability than being harder to find, especially when you're only an AoE away from being pulled from stealth anyways. Not to mention, a Khajiit vs Bosmer in a sneaking match, Bosmer does have 3m Stealth detection so in that specific scenario, you're only looking at a 2m stealth reduction vs movement speed while stealthed, which is pretty fair, all things considered.

Does nothing for Vampire or Night's Silence Bosmer.

Stealth is the best stealth.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Wittychick42
    Wittychick42
    ✭✭✭

I disagree. A speed boost while sneaking is fairly on par with Stealth Detection reduction in terms of PvE. Both have merits for stealing as 1 allows for more safe stealing, while the other offers more stealing via time saved. Then, ina PvP setting a speed buff while sneaking allows for far more maneuverability than being harder to find, especially when you're only an AoE away from being pulled from stealth anyways. Not to mention, a Khajiit vs Bosmer in a sneaking match, Bosmer does have 3m Stealth detection so in that specific scenario, you're only looking at a 2m stealth reduction vs movement speed while stealthed, which is pretty fair, all things considered.

Ditto. Dark Stalker is an excellent Vampire passive for super speedy stealth, so as far as my build goes, the only thing I’ll lack after this change is the entire reason I made what I made to begin with. Not being easily detected while stalking for picking pockets, doing heists, etc was why I chose Bosmer
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Assuming Bosmer got the same movement speed bonus as Vampire/Night's Silence:
    In the case of Night's Silence, you'd drop it and utilize Night's Mother Embrace which would essentially be the same thing as on live, minus 1 meter radius which is not that huge a difference, plus it has better stats overall
    In the case of Vampire, you don't have to invest into Dark Stalker, it becomes a dead passive for Bosmer.

Neither argument is really that great.
    Argonian forever
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does the ability to detect other stealthed units help with “safe stealing”?

There aren’t any stealthed units in pve. There are Zero. In about 3 weeks the passive will change, how does stealth DETECTION benefit the current game they are currently selling currently?

Still waiting on that answer.

Even IF Elsweyr had a reason to detect stealthed mobs, how does that passive help out in the other 85% of the game? (I count a chapter as 5% and pvp as 10% lol)

Useless - literal definition, has no use, passive is useless.
  • TheMikrobe
    TheMikrobe
    ✭✭

If you are a vampire in stealth then you "ignore the speed penalty". If you slot Concealed Weapon, "your Movement Speed while Sneaking or invisible is increased by 25%" and a vampire actually goes faster than when not in stealth (speed penalty ignored, then speed multiplied).

So if the Bosmer got a percentage-based speed increase in stealth then it would function like concealed weapon and would not conflict with vampire or night's silence. In fact if bosmer vampire had passive speed boost and slotted concealed weapon they would then move faster in crouch than if they had cast rapids and stayed standing up.
    max_only wrote:
    How does the ability to detect other stealthed units help with “safe stealing”?

He didn't say detection helps with stealing, he said faster movement in sneak helps with stealing. This is absolutely true, especially in Thieve's Guild heists, but also when picking the right opportunity in towns.
    Edited by TheMikrobe on February 1, 2019 1:11PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was talking in guild chat about this change tonight and a troubling idea came up.

So the new Wrathstone quest line will make people play the two new dungeons.

Do you think this stealth-to-detection change indicates a plan to "push" players into pvp?
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    I was talking in guild chat about this change tonight and a troubling idea came up.

Do you think this stealth-to-detection change indicates a plan to "push" players into pvp?

God I hope not.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

God I hope not.

I can already see it happening now that it's been mentioned. We need to get into Cloud Ruler Temple to recover some artifact relating to the Dragons and much like IC release, everyone and their mothers will be camping the entrance to troll others.
    Argonian forever
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From the 30 Jan class rep meeting notes thread, with my reply:
    [*] Bosmer: ZOS has heard concerns about the stackable powerful movement speed. Bosmers will still get a speed boost off dodge, it just wont be as high. Bosmers will get some short damage bonus as compensation. Note: Reps specifically asked about the community’s concern that bosmers are trading stealth for different buffs. We were told that ZOS saw these concerns and would work on creating more options/systems for stealth gameplay outside of race. With these additions, stealth gameplay will open up to more players, and also allow bosmers to have the nice combat buff will still having avenues to be as stealthy as before.
    I fully expected the speed boost would not survive in its initial form, so that's fine. I also don't have an issue with having more of the stealth bonus move to a non-racial passive somewhere, but the problem with that is then you have a giant orc or nord moving as stealthily as a teeny tiny bosmer. I mean, seriously, look at a tall bosmer compared to a short anything else, and its pretty significant. Even if it is just a fixed 1m bonus to hiding in the base passive, or adding a stealth component to Hunter's Eye, or whatever, there should be some boost to being hidden for bosmer to reflect their lore-based cultural and physical affinity to being unnoticed. Even if it's small, even if it's less than what the khajiit get, it should be something. I'd waive the proffered damage boost to keep a boost to stealth.

• max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As predicted, the speed boost after roll dodge is getting the hammer.

They are adding back a damage boost and that was the part that made it unbalanced in the first place.

They aren’t listening even if they are nodding their head.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As predicted, the speed boost after roll dodge is getting the hammer.

They are adding back a damage boost and that was the part that made it unbalanced in the first place.

They aren’t listening even if they are nodding their head.

Right? How they went from threads full of people saying that the loss of stealth was a blow to Bosmer identity and came up with "So we'll put stealth options outside of race and Bosmer can use it along with everyone else." is utterly mind boggling.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not one of us is asking for the extra damage, just the radius reduction. And stealth DETECTION is only useful in pvp, and is never used in pve.

Also, it is fine that you can complete stealthy quests with a non-stealth race, the game would be unbalanced if it were impossible. The bottom line is that a Bosmer is not as noticeable as a Nord when crouched. Bosmer have always had a higher sneak bonus than other races, as I pointed out above. Altmer have always been better with arcane skills. These are just facts of this universe.

Finally, stealth detection is useless in pve all the time. Full stop. If they gave Orcs a passive to hug other players instead of a useful lore friendly passive I would be here about that too.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_Gilliam
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Please, listen to the feedback. Adding back a damage bonus will just make it harder to balance again. Stealth detection is not used in the pve portion of your game (as evidenced by your first post on racial balance changes). Furthermore, passive detection is just like passive dodge, players need to make an active choice. Please look at the precedent of all the other Elder Scrolls games, Bosmer have always been more stealthy than every other race (except for Skyrim where Khajiit was only marginally more stealthy).

@ZOS_Lawrence_Schick
    Edited by max_only on February 4, 2019 8:43PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [*] Bosmer: ZOS has heard concerns about the stackable powerful movement speed. Bosmers will still get a speed boost off dodge, it just wont be as high. Bosmers will get some short damage bonus as compensation. Note: Reps specifically asked about the community’s concern that bosmers are trading stealth for different buffs. We were told that ZOS saw these concerns and would work on creating more options/systems for stealth gameplay outside of race. With these additions, stealth gameplay will open up to more players, and also allow bosmers to have the nice combat buff will still having avenues to be as stealthy as before.
    I fully expected the speed boost would not survive in its initial form, so that's fine. I also don't have an issue with having more of the stealth bonus move to a non-racial passive somewhere, but the problem with that is then you have a giant orc or nord moving as stealthily as a teeny tiny bosmer. I mean, seriously, look at a tall bosmer compared to a short anything else, and its pretty significant. Even if it is just a fixed 1m bonus to hiding in the base passive, or adding a stealth component to Hunter's Eye, or whatever, there should be some boost to being hidden for bosmer to reflect their lore-based cultural and physical affinity to being unnoticed. Even if it's small, even if it's less than what the khajiit get, it should be something. I'd waive the proffered damage boost to keep a boost to stealth.

What the actual F? I mean seriously? It's like they "hear" our concerns and just go in a totally different direction. And I am with you, I would wave the actual damage boost just to keep the stealth.

Where are these notes located?
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What the actual F? I mean seriously? It's like they "hear" our concerns and just go in a totally different direction. And I am with you, I would wave the actual damage boost just to keep the stealth.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/456997
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This latest iteration of the bosmer changes is just... disappointing. The feedback on the changes to stealth was pretty near unanimous and they ignored it completely. It makes it clear that it's not worth offering any feedback at all.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/456997

Thank you! I just wrote a long post there. Probably won't get addressed, but at least I got it off my chest.

• anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/457243/pts-patch-notes-v4-3-2#latest
    Wood Elf

Hunter's Eye: Reduced the Movement Speed Bonus granted to 10% from 20%, but added a bonus to Physical and Spell Penetration of 1500 for the duration.
    Developer Comment:
    Spoiler

We heard your concerns of adding in a highly powerful movement speed bonus tied to Roll Dodging, as well as the performance of this passive in PvE versus PvP environments. We wanted players who are focused on damage to get a small boost out of this in situations where they dodge attacks, without adding more passive power to the race.

It's like pouring gas on a dumpster fire...
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/457243/pts-patch-notes-v4-3-2#latest
    Wood Elf

Hunter's Eye: Reduced the Movement Speed Bonus granted to 10% from 20%, but added a bonus to Physical and Spell Penetration of 1500 for the duration.
    Developer Comment:
    Spoiler

We heard your concerns of adding in a highly powerful movement speed bonus tied to Roll Dodging, as well as the performance of this passive in PvE versus PvP environments. We wanted players who are focused on damage to get a small boost out of this in situations where they dodge attacks, without adding more passive power to the race.

We keep talking that stealth detect is PvP only, and they think we are talking about the roll? How much clearer can we be?
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elf

Developer Comment:
    Spoiler

We keep talking that stealth detect is PvP only, and they think we are talking about the roll? How much clearer can we be?
    I noticed that too. There was near universal and vocal feedback that stealth detection was not useful enough to justify a passive. Nearly every post asked for the stealthy passive back. Yet they left it intouched and their acknowledgement of the problem pertains only to the dodge roll part of the passive. Are they not reading feedback? Do they not comprehend what people are saying? Do they just not care? Seems like they have this vision in mind for bosmer and they don’t care if it isn’t useful or wanted, they are gonna do it anyway.

This whole situation (bosmer and altmer changes) really crushes my faith and trust in the dev team. With talented people like Gilliam and the class rep program advising I had trusted that bad changes like this - somewhat lore unfriendly, limited use in any game play mode, inferior to other racial options - wouldn’t be allowed to go forward but here we are. A bad passive actually got worse. If I were a class rep I would have fought this as hard as I respectfully could.

I am definitely rethinking whether or not the game is worth a continued major investment of time. I probably won’t stop playing entirely, but if this is the kind of game management we can expect going forward, I’m not sure I want to make this such a big aspect of my life.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dalsinthus wrote: »
    Wood Elf

Developer Comment:
    Spoiler

I noticed that too. There was near universal and vocal feedback that stealth detection was not useful enough to justify a passive. Nearly every post asked for the stealthy passive back. Yet they left it intouched and their acknowledgement of the problem pertains only to the dodge roll part of the passive. Are they not reading feedback? Do they not comprehend what people are saying? Do they just not care? Seems like they have this vision in mind for bosmer and they don’t care if it isn’t useful or wanted, they are gonna do it anyway.

This whole situation (bosmer and altmer changes) really crushes my faith and trust in the dev team. With talented people like Gilliam and the class rep program advising I had trusted that bad changes like this - somewhat lore unfriendly, limited use in any game play mode, inferior to other racial options - wouldn’t be allowed to go forward but here we are. A bad passive actually got worse. If I were a class rep I would have fought this as hard as I respectfully could.

I am definitely rethinking whether or not the game is worth a continued major investment of time. I probably won’t stop playing entirely, but if this is the kind of game management we can expect going forward, I’m not sure I want to make this such a big aspect of my life.
    Dalsinthus wrote: »
    Wood Elf

Developer Comment:
    Spoiler

They unfortunately read it and made bosmer worst and more pvp related. Maybe bosmer lives don't matter or maybe your class reps aren't doing so great in listening to you.