• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Curse Eater Really Strong

• Playnice
    Playnice
    ✭✭✭
    Playnice wrote: »
    Sharee wrote: »
    CP5 wrote: »
    It purges 2 things every 2 seconds, anyone who's been hit by piercing mark or the like knows that has a lot of individual things that each need to be purged, sets like wyrd tree and stendarr already exist and purge 5 debuffs a proc (with wyrd having a 15s cooldown and stendarr having a 30s cooldown per target) and those didn't end the world. Only way this could be overpowered is if someone is using this solo, but even then the number of purgable effects they would be facing would still likely outpace it by a lot.

My stamplar can confirm. Im running the 5-effect cleanse because 2 effects cleansed often felt like nothing. Even with the 5-effect version i often need to cleanse multiple times to get rid of the whole row of debuffs usually spanning my screen from left to right.

It will be a good counter however to those who just rely on 1-2 powerful effects on their target to do their killing for them.

Please, the set basically makes you immune to magsorcs and crazy strong against anyone using DoTs. It takes no skill to use because it works on HoTs. Not only that but it will essentially proc on CD and has magicka recovery baked in as well so the 5pc serves a double purpose. The 2, 3, 4pc bonuses are strong as well.

Not to sound like a smartass but sometimes magplar cleansing 5 negative effects at once does not even clear a root or disabling effect. That's because you have a buttload of negative effects on you during combat and you're removing other crap first.

Snares are low on the purge priority, near the bottom after dots and status and the like.

Ok, so you cleanse a dot and one status effect for example. So what. You probably have 7-10 other negative effects on you that are still ticking while under attack and new negative effects constantly being applied. Please check your combat metrics addon the next time you are in combat. PVP is all I do. I know dis!
    Playing since Feb 2015 / TES fan since 2002
    Main alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    All classes, all specs, 21 characters / 2 accounts
    Options
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It purges 2 things every 2 seconds, anyone who's been hit by piercing mark or the like knows that has a lot of individual things that each need to be purged, sets like wyrd tree and stendarr already exist and purge 5 debuffs a proc (with wyrd having a 15s cooldown and stendarr having a 30s cooldown per target) and those didn't end the world. Only way this could be overpowered is if someone is using this solo, but even then the number of purgable effects they would be facing would still likely outpace it by a lot.

My stamplar can confirm. Im running the 5-effect cleanse because 2 effects cleansed often felt like nothing. Even with the 5-effect version i often need to cleanse multiple times to get rid of the whole row of debuffs usually spanning my screen from left to right.

It will be a good counter however to those who just rely on 1-2 powerful effects on their target to do their killing for them.

Please, the set basically makes you immune to magsorcs and crazy strong against anyone using DoTs. It takes no skill to use because it works on HoTs. Not only that but it will essentially proc on CD and has magicka recovery baked in as well so the 5pc serves a double purpose. The 2, 3, 4pc bonuses are strong as well.

Not to sound like a smartass but sometimes magplar cleansing 5 negative effects at once does not even clear a root or disabling effect. That's because you have a buttload of negative effects on you during combat and you're removing other crap first.

Snares are low on the purge priority, near the bottom after dots and status and the like.

Ok, so you cleanse a dot and one status effect for example. So what. You probably have 7-10 other negative effects on you that are still ticking while under attack and new negative effects constantly being applied. Please check your combat metrics addon the next time you are in combat. PVP is all I do. I know dis!

The fact that you still have negative effects on you doesn't serve to somehow mitigate the power of removing 2 every 2s. A sorc with reach and curse has no higher priority purges and therefore will never be able to have more than 2s of reach DoT or a curse detonation ever go off. Sure there might be some debuffs underneath maybe ele drain, defile, vuln, chilled, etc but the strong damaging skills (specifically curse) will never go off. Other debuffs will be stripped off as well ofc assuming the first two are no longer on target. A stamina build using two DoTs as an integral part of DPS will have them stripped before anything else. Additionally, once the person fighting the curse eater user realizes their DoTs/curse are getting stripped, they stop using them, letting curse eater attack debuffs below that and in reality negate more than 2 debuffs every 2s (no point in reapply curse so it negates that and another lower level debuff). Finally, the set provides a strong magicka recovery component. I'm not sure how the CC removal part works yet so I won't speak on that but auto-removing CC at any point is strong no matter how you look at it. Yes, you will still have other debuffs but when you really think about it this set is utterly busted vs multiple builds (specifically magsorcs though) in smallscale.
    William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
    Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
    Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
    Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
    Options
  • Playnice
    Playnice
    ✭✭✭

The fact that you still have negative effects on you doesn't serve to somehow mitigate the power of removing 2 every 2s. A sorc with reach and curse has no higher priority purges and therefore will never be able to have more than 2s of reach DoT or a curse detonation ever go off. Sure there might be some debuffs underneath maybe ele drain, defile, vuln, chilled, etc but the strong damaging skills (specifically curse) will never go off. Other debuffs will be stripped off as well ofc assuming the first two are no longer on target. A stamina build using two DoTs as an integral part of DPS will have them stripped before anything else. Additionally, once the person fighting the curse eater user realizes their DoTs/curse are getting stripped, they stop using them, letting curse eater attack debuffs below that and in reality negate more than 2 debuffs every 2s (no point in reapply curse so it negates that and another lower level debuff). Finally, the set provides a strong magicka recovery component. I'm not sure how the CC removal part works yet so I won't speak on that but auto-removing CC at any point is strong no matter how you look at it. Yes, you will still have other debuffs but when you really think about it this set is utterly busted vs multiple builds (specifically magsorcs though) in smallscale.

You are going into a myriad of details purely on speculation. You obviously haven't tested anything. And based on the people in this thread that have tested it, they didn't seem that impressed. Since when has a set being good against one skill like Curse, since you brought it up, been good justification for massive nerfs? I could think of other sets being good against specific skills, too. That doesn't mean nerf into Oblivion. Pun intended.
    Options
  • Playnice
    Playnice
    ✭✭✭
    @lassitershawn I love you lassie. We were in Dreads together! Don't hate me :)
    Edited by Playnice on January 23, 2019 12:42AM
    Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As I mentioned in other post, if vyou think Curse eater is strong, then it's because you have not tested the combo Curse Eater + Steadfast hero
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You are going into a myriad of details purely on speculation. You obviously haven't tested anything. And based on the people in this thread that have tested it, they didn't seem that impressed. Since when has a set being good against one skill like Curse, since you brought it up, been good justification for massive nerfs? I could think of other sets being good against specific skills, too. That doesn't mean nerf into Oblivion. Pun intended.

Actually, someone already posted up the debuff priorities. So...

Options
  • Playnice
    Playnice
    ✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »

Actually, someone already posted up the debuff priorities. So...

So? Who said anything about debuff priorities?
    Edited by Playnice on January 23, 2019 12:47AM
    Options
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lassitershawn I love you lassie. We were in Dreads together! Don't hate me :)

Nah no hard feelings over a game mechanics disagreement lol. Did you change your name or something I don't recognize it?
    William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
    Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
    Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
    Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
    Options
  • sly007
    sly007
    ✭✭✭✭
    This set is decent. You will not notice anything different in cyrodiil. A templar could probably utilize this best but only in a 1v1 situation.
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I actually just tested Curse Eater thoroughly. It is straight up broken in 1v1. So fine, you don't balance for duels. While a DK can easily outpace the purge with debuffs -- and a nightblade even more so -- it is smart about what is purges, and purges the most important stuff first. Will be banned in every tournament.

In a large group setting (~12=) it will be worthless if almost everyone doesn't wear it. You cannot control the proc. You can't even limit to your group. Will some group slap every member in it? Yeah, probably, they'll still die to a solid bomb.

In a small group (~6), it will be stronger but likely outclassed by other support sets. You are probably going to need more than one for good coverage.

After testing... I don't think I'd wear it on any of my toons. But if I were on a mag sorc anything but a nightblade and saw someone wearing it in a 1v1 situation, I'd just walk away.
    Options
  • Witar
    Witar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set feels like bad news and a huge slap in the face to anyone not using it.
    It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
    Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,
    It lies behind stars and under hills,
    And empty holes it fills,
    It comes first and follows after,
    Ends life, kills laughter.
    Options
  • Elusiin
    Elusiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, i like it.

In your face, overperforming bleed builds :p

Ruining one type of overperforming build by replacing it with something twice as cancerous doesn't seem like a good idea to me lol

Lol your math does not add up.
    Options
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set is broken, please fix it, too strong.
    Edited by ruikkarikun on January 23, 2019 2:19AM
    Options
  • chris211
    chris211
    ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mystikkal
    Mystikkal
    ✭✭✭
    so they know this is broken, but how did this even make it into the patch notes?? Like how does this get past the combat balance team. Imagine a 1v1 if you are a DK against someone running this set. There is a 1 second global cooldown, so you can apply 2 dots every 2 seconds. This removes 2 dots every 2 seconds. so... ya... you literally can't do damage. wait you might get a weapon bleed or status effect, so you get 2 dots in 1 second so they have 1 dot on them, watch out now ;)

And that's assuming you are applying dots on CD which isn't realistic in pvp. Don't get me wrong, some status effects, debuffs, etc might be in there, but this is WAY overtuned. DKs already have it hard enough having to wait for damage to hit with DOTS, this game makes it way too easy to remove them, and this set just makes it worse
    Edited by Mystikkal on January 23, 2019 4:14AM
    Options
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chris211 wrote: »

Lol. It’s fine though right
    Options
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grannas211 wrote: »
    chris211 wrote: »

Lol. It’s fine though right

If this is the testing we do it’s no wonder the game is in the state it’s in. An actual test is if they would’ve dueled, this tells zos nothing really.

Options
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll add this is a good example of zos giving small scalers and solo players a buff just for the players that supposedly small scale/solo to ask for it to be nerfed. It’s like a never ending cycle. Proxy, vd, speed, curse eater, certain pots, 1vx sets, passives, steel Tornado etc.

I hate to say it but small scale started to die off because of small scalers, especially when people realized that zergers would use the same tools.
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set is decent but:
    1. It's best on stamina toons because they are the only ones with access to self only dot heal, why it's important? Because...
    2. When you will use it with rapid regen or any other aoe heal near other people, it will proc on them meaning much much lower time on you.
    3. Templar maybe can utilize it good but only in solo play, if there are other peeps they will eat procs because of ritual aoe heals.
    4. It's totally sustain set which is nice but with new monster set that is basically Warlock/Invigoration on steroids (12k of your max stat every 18s!!!!) I really doubt you will need so much sustain.

Don't get me wrong, this will be strong set, but with new sets there is a lot of amazing almost full damage setups meaning we will need some strong counters.

In general set will be strong in 1v1/1vX, but it's potential will be divided with each friendly player around (and this is the reason of 2s cool down, because it's designed for healers and group play).
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Set is decent but:
    1. It's best on stamina toons because they are the only ones with access to self only dot heal, why it's important? Because...
    2. When you will use it with rapid regen or any other aoe heal near other people, it will proc on them meaning much much lower time on you.
    3. Templar maybe can utilize it good but only in solo play, if there are other peeps they will eat procs because of ritual aoe heals.
    4. It's totally sustain set which is nice but with new monster set that is basically Warlock/Invigoration on steroids (12k of your max stat every 18s!!!!) I really doubt you will need so much sustain.

Don't get me wrong, this will be strong set, but with new sets there is a lot of amazing almost full damage setups meaning we will need some strong counters.

In general set will be strong in 1v1/1vX, but it's potential will be divided with each friendly player around (and this is the reason of 2s cool down, because it's designed for healers and group play).

The problem with using this on a stamina builds is that you have to drop one of your current sets for it, and i dont know a good stamina build that can afford to lose one set and still be good. You will either lose damage, or sustain.

If i am going to use this, it will be on my mDK. She's using seducer as one set right now, and this is a very good replacement.
    Options
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine playing a dot centered class against someone with this set loool. Can't wait to see it on live (because yes, it will come on live, we all know zos)
    Options
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to see actual footage of this set in an actual fight between 2 good players where it overperforms. Until then all your crying is baseless speculation.
    Options
  • FraPal93
    FraPal93
    Soul Shriven
    It's so funny to see people who says "this set will kill sorcerer" :D:D:D. Cmon guys be serious, sorc is already dead and you know why, because you did exactly the same with them! You yelled for so long that sorcerer was so op cause of shields and now you got what you wanted, just stamina in pvp. Don't be so hypocrite, nobody complained about how broken is the fury for instance, or bleeding builds, or spin2win builds and so on.. I mean they did but nobody took it in consideration because they were just the few idiots who were using magicka build (I'm still one of those idiots). Don't get me wrong, I don't care at all about this set and I won't use it anyway but please, you killed sorcerer class and now you are using it like an excuse to avoid a set that could counter your build. Just don't be hypocrite and say it freely: "I am a stamina user and I don't want to be countered"
    Options
  • Incap_is_balanced
    Incap_is_balanced
    Soul Shriven
    I dont know about this set change..Templars for example already have purifying ritual, which will purify and give a HoT every 2 seconds, so a templar simply standing in their ritual with curse eater now is going to be essentially getting rid of 2 negative effects every 2 seconds with a 100% uptime..just by standing in the ritual range alone, as for the other classes, all they have to do is use one of the numerous and easily accessible HoT's in the game to get 1 negative effect per second, (essentially).

I see this set outperforming other sustain sets when in a small scale fight 1v1 or 1v2 but losing its overperformance when outnumbered by numerous ppl but in most cases these days means your dead anyway, but making 1v1's or fights where the 2 negative effect removed per 2 second will overpower the few ppl hitting you along with purify or purge and make it harder for the people against the curse eater user to reliably have their DoT's up to set up some pressure. The thing that makes this OP imo is the obvious thing of not being able to get a reliable dot on the person in a 1v1 and the fact that they essentially get 75 recovery from this set automatically, and the synergy between this set and the templar's ritual or any class and a HoT is too strong.
    This will outperform A LOT of sustain sets for mag users...
    The point of DoT's in Pvp are to add pressure and slowly tick down the other players HP to allow some kind of burst whether it being a combo of abilities or ults or synergised class buffs and debuffs on targets, and with this set i feel like the DoT pressure will be negligible in too many scenarios.
    Overall i like that they're changing old sets but i feel like this one slipped through, and might need a tune down but if anything a slight one.

Curse Eater
    OLD
    2 – Adds 1206 Maximum Health
    3 – Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    4 – Adds 129 Magicka Recovery
    5 – Reduces the duration of all negative effects applied to you by 20%.
    NEW
    2 – Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    3 – Adds 129 Magicka Recovery
    4 – Adds 129 Magicka Recovery
    5 – When you heal yourself or an ally, remove two negative effects from them. If a negative effect was removed this way, your target restores 150 Magicka. This effect can occur every 2 seconds.
    Options
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Ahala_ wrote: »
    This looks like a broken op hardcounter to dks... should be toned down before live

About time dks faced hard counters....

Options
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to see actual footage of this set in an actual fight between 2 good players where it overperforms. Until then all your crying is baseless speculation.

I assume you’re that good player. Too bad you’re also blind.
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Set is decent but:

The problem with using this on a stamina builds is that you have to drop one of your current sets for it, and i dont know a good stamina build that can afford to lose one set and still be good. You will either lose damage, or sustain.

If i am going to use this, it will be on my mDK. She's using seducer as one set right now, and this is a very good replacement.

Yeah agree on that, that's what I ment when saying we will be able to build almost pure damage sets. This set will be simply inferior to other options.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • megasurge93
    megasurge93
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I like the change, but mainly because with a name like "Curse-Eater" the current effects are lame, but now with this new update it seems more like it's living up to it's name.
    "Illusion is the first of all pleasures." ~Oscar Wilde
    Options
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think curse eater in this state is broken. If it hits live i will surely wear it with my magplar. I will absolutely not die on any purgable dot damage in pvp/wvw. I am pretty sure we will all have to just adapt and avoid dot damage that can be eated by the set.
    Options
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whats the point of dots in pvp? Sounds like they are easily purged
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
    Options