The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is Magblade Even a Class anymore?

• Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that’s it’s not popular. I wanted to play mag sorc then broken rune cage made it FOTM. (Cos ppl are well for the most part flops)

It’s one of the most fun classes to play. It’s a bit of a dance to set dmg up. It’s more than spamming snipe, mages fury or sub assault. Any brainless chump can do that (and do).
    So satisfying to set up a kill or 1v2 and win. To hunt bowtards.

I have group utility. I do a fair bit of healing for my groups.
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
  • SubversusReformed
    SubversusReformed
    ✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    Lol you're relating everything off a 1v1, that's not how zos balances the game. Team magnb is still a good dueler. But that build to win duels with is going to suck in cyro and bgs

It’s not even a good dueler, magblade gets stomped by classes like stamdk, pet sorc, regular sorc, magplar, magdk, magden. Rollerblade absolutely roflstomps it, bleedblade even more so.
    At this point you have to literally outplay your opponent to win as a magblade because of the skill ceiling is the same, the other class has the advantage.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can say my magblade works pretty well even though shade doesn't work 80% of a time in keeps, towers and posterns, cloak is being broken by PB dots from sieges (like ballistas, oils, trebuchets) and healing wards sometimes bugs and doesn't heal at all, cheers! :)
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • steven22
    steven22
    ✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    I can say my magblade works pretty well even though shade doesn't work 80% of a time in keeps, towers and posterns, cloak is being broken by PB dots from sieges (like ballistas, oils, trebuchets) and healing wards sometimes bugs and doesn't heal at all, cheers! :)

I don't use shade atm , hopefully its getting fixed soon.
    :)
    Main - Char : Dandriil - Tamriel Hero, Explorer, Stormproof,Overlord

Nightblade since Beta , ESO Plus , PC EU

Proud Magicka Nightblade
  • dominguero96
    dominguero96
    ✭✭✭
    I've used all the classes (except stamdk) and I always come back to my magblade which is my main cuz I loved it but I understand the discontent. In my opinion I don't find it really balance and I'm beginning to not like it that much .

Nowadays, most magblades are more than average players and so they can still kill and troll people ;) but whenever you have a bad day or you are not 100% concentrated you will die against those bad bad players that only know how to press 2 buttons. I don't mean it only because it's a squishy class, I mean when those almost newbie players can kill you ONLY because you are using a magblade, well, there's a problem in the class system.

That being said, this is not a raging comment or a crying one, just my opinion.

I hope ZOS reconsider what they are doing with the nightblade skills, not only some nerfs, but the drastically changes to some skills although I know it is really hard to find balance between classes and pvp/pve

And I wish they fire the guy that considered the strife and morphs to be reflected as he has no idea what a projectile is and how it works (Yeah that is the raging comment I've been keeping for myself for a while)
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fought a good stamblade in cyro last night and I just laughed after I died. I was on my light armor build, spinners/necro/tk, destro/resto. This is how the fight went down.

Run through ash gate, ambushed, I dismount by cloak, my standard ganked on horse panic button. Try to weave and build mercy procs. StamNB rolls, dodges all light attacks and swallow soul attacks, cloaks, ambush/incap. I break and port to shadow image for distance. I try to build mercy proc. StamNB rolls and cloaks, dodges ansnd attacks. Suprise attack cc, into spam. Port to image again to get distance, ambushed, no distance with image so I need to turtle a bit. Throw up dampen, try to build mercy procs. StamNB dodge roll into cloak, dodged all attacks. In my frustration I let dampen drop for a second. Suprise cc/ incap/ reverse.....*** I died.

I should have just cloaked away and not fought but then what's the point of playing pvp.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I fought a good stamblade in cyro last night and I just laughed after I died. I was on my light armor build, spinners/necro/tk, destro/resto. This is how the fight went down.

Run through ash gate, ambushed, I dismount by cloak, my standard ganked on horse panic button. Try to weave and build mercy procs. StamNB rolls, dodges all light attacks and swallow soul attacks, cloaks, ambush/incap. I break and port to shadow image for distance. I try to build mercy proc. StamNB rolls and cloaks, dodges ansnd attacks. Suprise attack cc, into spam. Port to image again to get distance, ambushed, no distance with image so I need to turtle a bit. Throw up dampen, try to build mercy procs. StamNB dodge roll into cloak, dodged all attacks. In my frustration I let dampen drop for a second. Suprise cc/ incap/ reverse.....*** I died.

I should have just cloaked away and not fought but then what's the point of playing pvp.

Magblade.... (light armor)
    - ranged everything gets dodged or reflected
    - melee, you melt trying to put a dent in the heavies or shieldstackers.

Still a fun class to play though.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • NightAngel690
    NightAngel690
    ✭✭✭
    So, I commented earlier but I wanted to expand on magblades. I will seperate it into three different parts, 1) bgs 2)cyrodil 3)duels

A) bgs. A magblade can be decent in bgs but you have to be properly geared. This means that a) you either run the typical caluurion’s/lich/skoria (light armour) combo which means that you will be a little squishy but put out a lot of burst damage, b)heavy shacklebreaker/willpower/master inferno/ skoria which will still put out a lot of damage but you will lack the burst damage that magblades in light armour have. This is more optimized if you have meteor unlocked due to the stun and the massive undodgeable AoE damage. Both of those play styles are good but in my own personal experience, unless you are playing with a group of friends equally as good as you or better, you will lose to the premade cancer dks. (It’s almost impossible to counter 2-3 magdks whipping you...magdks cc/dots op.)

2) in Cyrodill, it can be very difficult to play after the changes to healing ward and shields in general. The one buff that all nbs received was the cloak buff in the sense that mark target is only 5 seconds. This is very good for the gankers out there...(I actually watched a magnb gank the crap out of 10 different people.) just run the typical caluurions/maiden or spinners if you want to play that way. B) due to the changes in shields, I’ve seen a lot more nbs running in heavy armour. Most of the people I’ve talked to were running either shacklebreaker or torugs. Of course you’ll still want meteor. Destro/Resto is still the best ranged combo. (Just as a footnote I highly recommend running in heavy armour...light armour is way to squishy if you don’t know how to play...pirate Skeleton, bs, or chudan are the ways to go if you want to be a little more tanky)

3) magblades in duels are very difficult to learn. Stamblades excel way more than a magblade ever will but that’s because everyone is running either a) a Templar which means BoL spam or b) magdks running zaans, bsw, and spinners/elfbane. (Trust me,you will melt) which means any damage you try to do will be negated from the either strongest burst heals in the game and/or reflected back at you. Since stamblades can go pure melee, it makes it a lot easier to deal with. Sorcs aren’t really an issue so long as you survive their initial burst. (Fun fact, if you run snb, you can counter any magsorc that tries to fight you!!!) the one thing I learned about dueling is nbs mainly have a one shot Hail Mary combo. If you don’t properly time it out, you’re not going to win. (Meteor, crippling grasp, flame clutch, skoria, swallow soul *or force pulse* followed by merciless resolve)

To sum it all up, magblades are still viable but, regardless of what other people might think, they are vastly underperforming compared to the Templar/warden meta that plagues cyro or the dk Meta the plagues bgs. Not trying to say those classes are easier, it’s just the last patch has been very kind to them compared to the magblades.(there’s a reason you see those classes more than you see a magblade)
    Edited by NightAngel690 on January 16, 2019 6:44PM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I commented earlier but I wanted to expand on magblades. I will seperate it into three different parts, 1) bgs 2)cyrodil 3)duels

A) bgs. A magblade can be decent in bgs but you have to be properly geared. This means that a) you either run the typical caluurion’s/lich/skoria (light armour) combo which means that you will be a little squishy but put out a lot of burst damage, b)heavy shacklebreaker/willpower/master inferno/ skoria which will still put out a lot of damage but you will lack the burst damage that magblades in light armour have. This is more optimized if you have meteor unlocked due to the stun and the massive undodgeable AoE damage. Both of those play styles are good but in my own personal experience, unless you are playing with a group of friends equally as good as you or better, you will lose to the premade cancer dks. (It’s almost impossible to counter 2-3 magdks whipping you...magdks cc/dots op.)

2) in Cyrodill, it can be very difficult to play after the changes to healing ward and shields in general. The one buff that all nbs received was the cloak buff in the sense that mark target is only 5 seconds. This is very good for the gankers out there...(I actually watched a magnb gank the crap out of 10 different people.) just run the typical caluurions/maiden or spinners if you want to play that way. B) due to the changes in shields, I’ve seen a lot more nbs running in heavy armour. Most of the people I’ve talked to were running either shacklebreaker or torugs. Of course you’ll still want meteor. Destro/Resto is still the best ranged combo. (Just as a footnote I highly recommend running in heavy armour...light armour is way to squishy if you don’t know how to play...pirate Skeleton, bs, or chudan are the ways to go if you want to be a little more tanky)

3) magblades in duels are very difficult to learn. Stamblades excel way more than a magblade ever will but that’s because everyone is running either a) a Templar which means BoL spam or b) magdks running zaans, bsw, and spinners/elfbane. (Trust me,you will melt) which means any damage you try to do will be negated from the either strongest burst heals in the game and/or reflected back at you. Since stamblades can go pure melee, it makes it a lot easier to deal with. Sorcs aren’t really an issue so long as you survive their initial burst. (Fun fact, if you run snb, you can counter any magsorc that tries to fight you!!!) the one thing I learned about dueling is nbs mainly have a one shot Hail Mary combo. If you don’t properly time it out, you’re not going to win. (Meteor, crippling grasp, flame clutch, skoria, swallow soul *or force pulse* followed by merciless resolve)

To sum it all up, magblades are still viable but, regardless of what other people might think, they are vastly underperforming compared to the Templar/warden meta that plagues cyro or the dk Meta the plagues bgs. Not trying to say those classes are easier, it’s just the last patch has been very kind to them compared to the magblades.(there’s a reason you see those classes more than you see a magblade)

Idk man, I have tried alot of heavy builds and I just feel it under performs.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing necro spinners this patch would make me hate this game lol there is very little you can do to survive against certain opponents with that build. Have you tried switching out necro for armor master. I think that would be better honestly. Armor master/spinner/willpower/2 max mag pieces is the light armor build I've decided to go with this patch. I think it would've given you the edge in that fight against the stamblade as well by relieving alot of pressure allowing your damage shield to absorb some hits saving magicka as well. Your damage shield would be almost 12k but it would be a lot more sturdy than the necro shield which you can't really max because of the health cap.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »

Magblade.... (light armor)
    - ranged everything gets dodged or reflected
    - melee, you melt trying to put a dent in the heavies or shieldstackers.

Still a fun class to play though.

Oh yeah I mean magnb is my main, followed by a very close second magplar, I spend 90% of my time on those toons.

Edit: Also I have never been one who's afraid to state that I'm average at best.
    Edited by Datthaw on January 16, 2019 10:19PM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing necro spinners this patch would make me hate this game lol there is very little you can do to survive against certain opponents with that build. Have you tried switching out necro for armor master. I think that would be better honestly. Armor master/spinner/willpower/2 max mag pieces is the light armor build I've decided to go with this patch. I think it would've given you the edge in that fight against the stamblade as well by relieving alot of pressure allowing your damage shield to absorb some hits saving magicka as well. Your damage shield would be almost 12k but it would be a lot more sturdy than the necro shield which you can't really max because of the health cap.

I tried armor master and I honestly didn't like it. I have been trying tons of different setups this patch and have not been happy with anything. Heavy and light I'm just not comfortable, maybe I'm just in a funk. I went back to necro/spinner/tk just for the raw damage and mag pool. Before I had been trying an assortment of heavy setups. Anyway I'm rambling, I'll give armor master another shot.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my issues with magblades.

- cloak is garbage. Bring back our purge cloak. Unless you have around 30k hp than the healing one is pretty damn good
    - this doesn't count towards mnb but for anyone that runs vamp. That 25% extra flame dmg is brutal. So a mDK yeah most I leave alone.

- soul harvest vs incap. Both have defile but incap has the stun while harvest gets ult. At least give harvest something similar.
    - focus vs resolve. Both get minor berserk and are proc'd off of 5 LA's but why not give resolve a mag return?
    - hemorrhage passive needs to add spell crit in there not just wpn crit.
    - concealed weapons needs to be a Magicka morph ONLY! not have these Stam blades running around with 3 swift accessories and concealed wpns and being insanely fast. Was saying this long before we got jewelry crafting.
    - cloak. You'll all think I'm crazy for this but bring back the pruge cloak!
    - hysteria vs terror. Bring hysteria to 4 or 5. Can leave terror alone
    - shade. Just fix shade. Still buggy as hell
    - strikes morphs. Revert back to old morphs

I could sit here and nag more to benefit mNB but knowing zos track record they'd probably nerf them instead and buff the other classes.

Unfortunately you cant bring back purge cloak. Would be fine on magblades and stupid OP on stambaldes. You can’t buff anything stambalde used. It sucks. Imo some of the passives need to be adjusted so that they benefit magblade only. Stamblades already get the upfront burst that is inherent to stamina classes paired with the extra damage buffs of their class that are far beyond any other class. For magblade this is okay becuse mag burst is a bit delayed. But it prevents buffs to any shared skills becuse stamblade is way too strong already.
    Edited by Vapirko on January 17, 2019 12:17AM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I swear i am just really stupid or I just don't unddrstand zos math.

I have on spinners/necro/tk 5-1-1 light, 24,865 health, Dampen shield size 8348

I have on spinners/ armor master/ skoria 5-1-1 light, 28,967 health, dampen shield size 6896

.......like how if the size scales off hp?
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Max health caps your shield. Has nothing to do with its scaling unless you use undaunted shield. In your example the maximums your shield could potentially reach are 12k and 14k respectively. So let's say I have like 50k Magicka and only 18k health, even if my shield size is supposed to be 12k the max it can reach is 9k, 50% of my max health.
    Edited by Metemsycosis on January 17, 2019 1:37AM
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'll go back and read the natch potes, because I have no idea how shields work anymore
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It still is based on your magic the only difference is things like resistance and crit resistance matter more now. Your potential shield caps at 40 percent of your health, it doesn’t scale with it. So having more health doesn’t mean you’ll have a bigger shield solely because of that. It means your shield caps out at 40 percent of your health in order to balance shields.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I swear i am just really stupid or I just don't unddrstand zos math.

I have on spinners/necro/tk 5-1-1 light, 24,865 health, Dampen shield size 8348

I have on spinners/ armor master/ skoria 5-1-1 light, 28,967 health, dampen shield size 6896

.......like how if the size scales off hp?

It scales of max magicka. Health just caps it at 50%. So with 28k health you can get a maximum shield size of 14k. But you will still need the max magicka to get the shield size bigger to actually reach the cap. Even though your shield is lower with armor master it will be a lot stronger.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so that makes perfect sense then because the armor master build I have about 32k mag and the necro build I'm at like 42 with it proced.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ranged magicka classes are essentially off meta this patch. The magicka classes are where you are seeing most of the build innovation right now because they are struggling to find what works. MagNB, MagSorc in particular. Stam classes are basically fine doing the same old same old.
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pestered a good mag Sorc outside of Glade yesterday on Shor. He was an AR or so higher than me. Triple shield stacking monster with excellent positional play. Sorc is not having issues. Groups of 5 or 6 would try and chase him down. He would do the typical rope a dope and then burst one guy down. I laid into him as hard as I could but harness magicka is practically a hard counter against a melee magblade. I did 120k damage to him in one engagement over a not long period of time and even with other guys chasing and banging no joy. Got a stun and execute range off but impale didn't do it. He shielded up cursed me and kept going.

Oh, and nerf mag sorc. Nerf it into the ground. Stam sorcs and hurricane too. :)
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I pestered a good mag Sorc outside of Glade yesterday on Shor. He was an AR or so higher than me. Triple shield stacking monster with excellent positional play. Sorc is not having issues. Groups of 5 or 6 would try and chase him down. He would do the typical rope a dope and then burst one guy down. I laid into him as hard as I could but harness magicka is practically a hard counter against a melee magblade. I did 120k damage to him in one engagement over a not long period of time and even with other guys chasing and banging no joy. Got a stun and execute range off but impale didn't do it. He shielded up cursed me and kept going.

Oh, and nerf mag sorc. Nerf it into the ground. Stam sorcs and hurricane too. :)

And those sorcs call you permacloaker and sent whispers about it, whilst themselves they are perma-shieldstackerscursersminelayinghurricaners.
    I mean.. what other defence does a melee magblade or even a ranged nb has in light armor?

A crappier shield
    Low stamina to dodge
    A failing shade
    Or cloak, which is easily countered with detect potions (which I also successfully use against other cloakers, so don't say potions don't work lol)
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    Or cloak, which is easily countered with detect potions (which I also successfully use against other cloakers, so don't say potions don't work lol)

Yep number one source of my hate whispers I think. That and people telling me I macro because I have trained my pointer finger to hit the left mouse button in between the concealed and soulharvest buttons on my logitech G700s. Or the lag. People blame all sorts of stuff on the leg.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, hate whispers exist to tell you that you're doing something right. It's your typical whiner person who wants you to fight a certain way because they know they'll win if you comply.

With that being said I'm losing interest in my magblade. I find my magplar better as a dps and my NB better at healing. I've tried almost everything to make it work; right now I'm using Stygian and Lich and shadowy disguise between attacks and still feel my attacks are pretty weak.

NBs do below average from my experience. I usually get just a little more kills than deaths, and don't do well 1v1. Nothing like when I play my DK who can rip people with tons of survivability. I'm thinking of blowing up my spec and restarting or just not playing a magblade as a dps in pvp.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblade vs seige line -magblade wins.
    M vs camps & backline healers -magblade wins.
    M + friend or two = retake that keep from the inside.
    M + time stop & fear = ball group split in half/dead purger/dead healer
    M + combat res...better than using the healer
    Then there's soul assault (sorry, but it is awesome melting people), bombing & a *** but still helpful ball of ice.

But..DKs are deadly, small spaces vs spin to win are deadly, and ballgroups who always run detect and defile sets...

I recently made a warden and was horrified how easy it is to kill top players with 3 buttons. I feel bad every time. Magblade is a lot of work with no margin for error, and even then your teammates are going to swipe that final kill on their counter.

Nb are great for learning situational awareness, los and the patterns of group movement. You're going to die if you're wrong. But then you get to the point where you can run through 40 people, slash them up and not get touched. And that's damn fun.
    Edited by merevie on January 18, 2019 2:34AM
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm putting my damage Magblade on a sabbatical until I see some decent changes next patch.

I'm not just referring to NB specific buffs either. There are some things overall that need to be toned down - and I'm not going to specify because if you play Magicka you already know.

My healer Magblade though will continue to annoy the *** out of these cookie cutter players.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like I am the only magnb I see around anymore. It's funny how the fotm players abandon ship so fast. Not that I can blame them.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like I am the only magnb I see around anymore. It's funny how the fotm players abandon ship so fast. Not that I can blame them.

He man, i am there too. It's the only class i play since i am to lazy to play with the rest.

But indeed, they are scarce. In a way, that is a good thing as it makes me feel more unique. If the class was OP everybody would role one. On the other hand..... if nobody plays one, something must be wrong with it.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
  • jaime1982
    jaime1982
    ✭✭✭✭
    Played magblade for a few months straight, dropped it for master DW stamplar. No comparison
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still main a magblade but havent played as much as I would've wanted because of real life ***. I like that we're not fotm anymore but it's kinda sad how many hoops we have to jump through to make the class work. Still very fun causing chaos in the back lines of a siege though.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi