The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Is Magblade Even a Class anymore?

• Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magblade is no class.... it's a way of living.

Sorry.. I used to say that about SWG's ranger profession 🙄
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly the biggest hit to mag nb was the healing ward nerf, the other cloak morph just isn't as beneficial
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abstraqt wrote: »
    Honestly the biggest hit to mag nb was the healing ward nerf, the other cloak morph just isn't as beneficial

Yeah, I tried to build around it, eventually ended up with a snb, plague doctor/ naga shaman / tk build and the heal still sucked.
  • mojomood
    mojomood
    ✭✭✭
    For PvP:
    Class identity is usually based around what makes a class unique, a skill or playstyle in which it is BiS. For PvP, magblade is BiS in Bomber playstyle and duels. That's it. That's what it has. In an MMORPG, having a class that specializes in suicide missions and 1vs1 is not a great place. In other situations, it is okay but not great. A high skilled player can do well with any class in this game, which is testament to the balance (even though we all complain about it). It's not that magblade is bad, it's losing what makes it unique.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it's still a class; it's my favorite. I have been playing on magblade since 2015 and experienced the many changes to the class. I have to adapt or play the other classes which seems boring to me. (No offense intended)

It's not an easy class in PVP since all of our ranged skills can be reflected and AOE breaks our stealth. Magblade cannot just pew pew and expect good results.

If you want to develop situational awareness, play magblade for a few months. Because if the magblade isn't always paying attention to everything, it usually dies.

My vet PVP magblade plays with two destro staves, fire and lightening.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I pretty much dont get this whole thread
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    I fought a good stamblade in cyro last night and I just laughed after I died. I was on my light armor build, spinners/necro/tk, destro/resto. This is how the fight went down.

Run through ash gate, ambushed, I dismount by cloak, my standard ganked on horse panic button. Try to weave and build mercy procs. StamNB rolls, dodges all light attacks and swallow soul attacks, cloaks, ambush/incap. I break and port to shadow image for distance. I try to build mercy proc. StamNB rolls and cloaks, dodges ansnd attacks. Suprise attack cc, into spam. Port to image again to get distance, ambushed, no distance with image so I need to turtle a bit. Throw up dampen, try to build mercy procs. StamNB dodge roll into cloak, dodged all attacks. In my frustration I let dampen drop for a second. Suprise cc/ incap/ reverse.....*** I died.

I should have just cloaked away and not fought but then what's the point of playing pvp.

The only stamblade that killed my magblade in 1v1 situation I can remember, was ganker-sniper build with pretty amazing 11k hits from lethal arrow, quite good player which knew how to defend even when exposed but completely harmless without element of surprise, nevertheless I had my revenge... Few times ;)

TBH I find that there is not to mutch really good stamblades out there, only few know how to defend against detection pots, thus I feel that stamblades and magblades are the easiest prey for me.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    I fought a good stamblade in cyro last night and I just laughed after I died. I was on my light armor build, spinners/necro/tk, destro/resto. This is how the fight went down.

Run through ash gate, ambushed, I dismount by cloak, my standard ganked on horse panic button. Try to weave and build mercy procs. StamNB rolls, dodges all light attacks and swallow soul attacks, cloaks, ambush/incap. I break and port to shadow image for distance. I try to build mercy proc. StamNB rolls and cloaks, dodges ansnd attacks. Suprise attack cc, into spam. Port to image again to get distance, ambushed, no distance with image so I need to turtle a bit. Throw up dampen, try to build mercy procs. StamNB dodge roll into cloak, dodged all attacks. In my frustration I let dampen drop for a second. Suprise cc/ incap/ reverse.....*** I died.

I should have just cloaked away and not fought but then what's the point of playing pvp.

The only stamblade that killed my magblade in 1v1 situation I can remember, was ganker-sniper build with pretty amazing 11k hits from lethal arrow, quite good player which knew how to defend even when exposed but completely harmless without element of surprise, nevertheless I had my revenge... Few times ;)

TBH I find that there is not to mutch really good stamblades out there, only few know how to defend against detection pots, thus I feel that stamblades and magblades are the easiest prey for me.

Good stamblades are the bane if my existance. I don't know why but I almost never seem to get the upperhard. But as I stated earlier, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm just an average joe
  • NightAngel690
    NightAngel690
    ✭✭✭
    So, I commented earlier but I wanted to expand on magblades. I will seperate it into three different parts, 1) bgs 2)cyrodil 3)duels

A) bgs. A magblade can be decent in bgs but you have to be properly geared. This means that a) you either run the typical caluurion’s/lich/skoria (light armour) combo which means that you will be a little squishy but put out a lot of burst damage, b)heavy shacklebreaker/willpower/master inferno/ skoria which will still put out a lot of damage but you will lack the burst damage that magblades in light armour have. This is more optimized if you have meteor unlocked due to the stun and the massive undodgeable AoE damage. Both of those play styles are good but in my own personal experience, unless you are playing with a group of friends equally as good as you or better, you will lose to the premade cancer dks. (It’s almost impossible to counter 2-3 magdks whipping you...magdks cc/dots op.)

2) in Cyrodill, it can be very difficult to play after the changes to healing ward and shields in general. The one buff that all nbs received was the cloak buff in the sense that mark target is only 5 seconds. This is very good for the gankers out there...(I actually watched a magnb gank the crap out of 10 different people.) just run the typical caluurions/maiden or spinners if you want to play that way. B) due to the changes in shields, I’ve seen a lot more nbs running in heavy armour. Most of the people I’ve talked to were running either shacklebreaker or torugs. Of course you’ll still want meteor. Destro/Resto is still the best ranged combo. (Just as a footnote I highly recommend running in heavy armour...light armour is way to squishy if you don’t know how to play...pirate Skeleton, bs, or chudan are the ways to go if you want to be a little more tanky)

3) magblades in duels are very difficult to learn. Stamblades excel way more than a magblade ever will but that’s because everyone is running either a) a Templar which means BoL spam or b) magdks running zaans, bsw, and spinners/elfbane. (Trust me,you will melt) which means any damage you try to do will be negated from the either strongest burst heals in the game and/or reflected back at you. Since stamblades can go pure melee, it makes it a lot easier to deal with. Sorcs aren’t really an issue so long as you survive their initial burst. (Fun fact, if you run snb, you can counter any magsorc that tries to fight you!!!) the one thing I learned about dueling is nbs mainly have a one shot Hail Mary combo. If you don’t properly time it out, you’re not going to win. (Meteor, crippling grasp, flame clutch, skoria, swallow soul *or force pulse* followed by merciless resolve)

To sum it all up, magblades are still viable but, regardless of what other people might think, they are vastly underperforming compared to the Templar/warden meta that plagues cyro or the dk Meta the plagues bgs. Not trying to say those classes are easier, it’s just the last patch has been very kind to them compared to the magblades.(there’s a reason you see those classes more than you see a magblade)

Idk man, I have tried alot of heavy builds and I just feel it under performs.

They do if you don’t build them right. If you build them right you can do just as much burst as a light armour build. The only downside is your recovery won’t be as good as if you were in light armour. (Funny story...I had a friendly duel with my buddy who was still trying to learn stamplar and I killed him pretty quickly on my pve tank cp set up.)

I noticed you mentioned earlier that you tried spinners and necro with troll king....that was issue number one. If you do light armour, especially this patch, you NEED a tanky helm eg pirate skeleton, or chudan. Tk only really works well on heavy builds since you get better heals on a heavy build and it really only works best with a stam build. (Rally/forward momentum). I also wouldn’t really use necro on a magblade...I mean it works since we have access to the shade but the shade is pretty buggy this patch so it’s not very reliable. regardless, if you run light with no tanky set, expect to die Easy.

• ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    I promise you many ppl who played MagNB for sap tanking or something like else will reroll a Necro next chapter.

In future:
    Sneaky burst play > StamNB
    Evil dark Knight brawling > Necro
    PC EU - DC only
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run troll king, bright throat and shackle. I consistenly make the top scores in BGs with very few deaths. So I don't know...

It seems strong enough to me.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imo Troll king and shackle is a good gear combo for any char in the game ATM
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo Troll king and shackle is a good gear combo for any char in the game ATM

Unless you are a vampire

• HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im using light armor fortified brass, troll king, spinners, backbar blackrose resto.

It’s pretty tanky and the burst is still massive. The only people I can’t kill reliably are tanky magdks, but then again, they’re slow af so I just disengage with cloak.
    Edited by HowlKimchi on January 21, 2019 1:45AM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChefZero wrote: »
    I promise you many ppl who played MagNB for sap tanking or something like else will reroll a Necro next chapter.

In future:
    Sneaky burst play > StamNB
    Evil dark Knight brawling > Necro

Yeah but:

Trickster that causes chaos and confusion >MagNB
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • jaime1982
    jaime1982
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, I commented earlier but I wanted to expand on magblades. I will seperate it into three different parts, 1) bgs 2)cyrodil 3)duels

A) bgs. A magblade can be decent in bgs but you have to be properly geared. This means that a) you either run the typical caluurion’s/lich/skoria (light armour) combo which means that you will be a little squishy but put out a lot of burst damage, b)heavy shacklebreaker/willpower/master inferno/ skoria which will still put out a lot of damage but you will lack the burst damage that magblades in light armour have. This is more optimized if you have meteor unlocked due to the stun and the massive undodgeable AoE damage. Both of those play styles are good but in my own personal experience, unless you are playing with a group of friends equally as good as you or better, you will lose to the premade cancer dks. (It’s almost impossible to counter 2-3 magdks whipping you...magdks cc/dots op.)

2) in Cyrodill, it can be very difficult to play after the changes to healing ward and shields in general. The one buff that all nbs received was the cloak buff in the sense that mark target is only 5 seconds. This is very good for the gankers out there...(I actually watched a magnb gank the crap out of 10 different people.) just run the typical caluurions/maiden or spinners if you want to play that way. B) due to the changes in shields, I’ve seen a lot more nbs running in heavy armour. Most of the people I’ve talked to were running either shacklebreaker or torugs. Of course you’ll still want meteor. Destro/Resto is still the best ranged combo. (Just as a footnote I highly recommend running in heavy armour...light armour is way to squishy if you don’t know how to play...pirate Skeleton, bs, or chudan are the ways to go if you want to be a little more tanky)

3) magblades in duels are very difficult to learn. Stamblades excel way more than a magblade ever will but that’s because everyone is running either a) a Templar which means BoL spam or b) magdks running zaans, bsw, and spinners/elfbane. (Trust me,you will melt) which means any damage you try to do will be negated from the either strongest burst heals in the game and/or reflected back at you. Since stamblades can go pure melee, it makes it a lot easier to deal with. Sorcs aren’t really an issue so long as you survive their initial burst. (Fun fact, if you run snb, you can counter any magsorc that tries to fight you!!!) the one thing I learned about dueling is nbs mainly have a one shot Hail Mary combo. If you don’t properly time it out, you’re not going to win. (Meteor, crippling grasp, flame clutch, skoria, swallow soul *or force pulse* followed by merciless resolve)

To sum it all up, magblades are still viable but, regardless of what other people might think, they are vastly underperforming compared to the Templar/warden meta that plagues cyro or the dk Meta the plagues bgs. Not trying to say those classes are easier, it’s just the last patch has been very kind to them compared to the magblades.(there’s a reason you see those classes more than you see a magblade)

They do if you don’t build them right. If you build them right you can do just as much burst as a light armour build. The only downside is your recovery won’t be as good as if you were in light armour. (Funny story...I had a friendly duel with my buddy who was still trying to learn stamplar and I killed him pretty quickly on my pve tank cp set up.)

I noticed you mentioned earlier that you tried spinners and necro with troll king....that was issue number one. If you do light armour, especially this patch, you NEED a tanky helm eg pirate skeleton, or chudan. Tk only really works well on heavy builds since you get better heals on a heavy build and it really only works best with a stam build. (Rally/forward momentum). I also wouldn’t really use necro on a magblade...I mean it works since we have access to the shade but the shade is pretty buggy this patch so it’s not very reliable. regardless, if you run light with no tanky set, expect to die Easy.

Disagree on the NEED part, I'm running shackle-spin-skoria. 5 light 2 heavy and do totally fine. I try not to get hit vs try to mitigate the dmg.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with heavy builds is kill one of those argonian stamdks or the snb stamdens running around. In heavy you don't have the sustain to keep pressure or the solid 1shot burst to kill a decent player. This is where the low sustain can be a problem you need to spam more skills because the fight drags out longer. Plus the heals in heavy have been nerfed so much with swallow losing Minor vit and path not being a flexible heal and skoria proc that effects both damage and healing.

I'm not saying heavy is completely dead, I'm still trying to build a heavy toon and I'm narrowing in on it, but it's completely different from what I have heard any of you say.
  • NightAngel690
    NightAngel690
    ✭✭✭

jaime1982 wrote: »

Disagree on the NEED part, I'm running shackle-spin-skoria. 5 light 2 heavy and do totally fine. I try not to get hit vs try to mitigate the dmg.

You don’t NEED it need it but it’s hard to argue that the damage mitigation in heavy is waaay better than in light armour. Sure light armour has shields but the changes have really messed with the survivability. Before you could stack a healing ward and a dampen magic and be fine but now, most people can punch through those shields like nothing. Especially in bgs where everyone is rocking a proc set like Sloads. (Yes it’s still a thing and is super cancerous in non-cp just like every other proc set in the game....it’s awesome!)
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I had some decent luck running shackle/wm/bp/maelstrom resto as melee magblade. It was quite fun, but absolutely required careful planning for when to engage opponents. Note that major evasion is an absolute requirement for light armor these days I feel, melee or not... Some of these games were at higher mmr vs ball groups, and it performed well when we had at least one other melee on the team to soak some of the attention and a decent (not necessarily dedicated) healer. In these games, I tended to be top assists, often top kills, but relatively meh overall damage (usually did more damage in various ranged builds, but had fewer kills). if I was the only melee, I was far too squishy and easy to focus when I would pop on people. I subsequently tried spinner/armor master for a very tanky/brawlery-spec and while I was very tanky, the damage was too easy to avoid it felt like, but I may try an alternative with frequent fearing into meteor burst combos.

I really hate spectral bow...
    Edited by mav1234 on January 22, 2019 12:05AM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll let yall know the heavy build I have been running, I've run it enough to decide it's a good build for group play in bgs. The damage is decent and can help with an ult dump, along with being decently tanky with some sustain. It's the most well rounded heavy armor build I have tried yet. I'm sure some of the more skilled players here might make more of it than I do.

So 5 reactive on body, lich jewelry and resto back bar, skoria and master lighting front bar. Front bar I have double dot poisons back bar weapon enchant. I run tri food and apprentice mundus.

Stats sit at (unbuffed) 35,731 mag, 21,662 hp, 16,371 stam. 2k sd. Recovery is 800 mag, 800 stam, but we have lich and lighting/resto so that is our sustain.

Bars are
    Fb: impale, mercy, cripple, shock clench, ele drain, meteor

Bb: ward ally, double take, dark cloak, siphon strikes, rapid regen, resto ult.

The game plan is simple enough, run in with dots and lightning heavies, when skoria procs shock clench people for the stun and nice aoe damage, meteor into cc mercy for the big damage combo. The build has been working nice in a group and seems to have potential.

Anyway hope I may have inspired someone.

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might want to look into curse eater , it’ll be really good on Magblade. Just have to give up a 5 piece.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Might want to look into curse eater , it’ll be really good on Magblade. Just have to give up a 5 piece.

With the magicka recovery bonuses it can easily replace a sustain set. I don't want to get too excited though with all the complaints on the PTS thread.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at that too. I'm curious about how the damage mitigation of that set matches up with the damage mitigation of a traditional defensive set. I'm sceptical about giving up my resistance set for curse eater though because of how strong some of the burst damage is in the game and the number of debuffs applied to me. If I constantly have 6 or more debuffs on me I don't know how strong purging 2 random effects will be. It sounds like it has some potential though I just don't know how strong it will actually be in open world cyrodiil. Definitely worth testing though.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With the magicka recovery bonuses it can easily replace a sustain set. I don't want to get too excited though with all the complaints on the PTS thread.

Yeah everyone acts like pvp is a series of 1v1s that’s why. In reality this set only favors solo players and small groups 2-4. Dueling should be irrelevant when it comes to balance.

Plus there’s so many debuffs in the game that can easily be reapplied just as quick as they’re purged.

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at that too. I'm curious about how the damage mitigation of that set matches up with the damage mitigation of a traditional defensive set. I'm sceptical about giving up my resistance set for curse eater though because of how strong some of the burst damage is in the game and the number of debuffs applied to me. If I constantly have 6 or more debuffs on me I don't know how strong purging 2 random effects will be. It sounds like it has some potential though I just don't know how strong it will actually be in open world cyrodiil. Definitely worth testing though.

That’s what I was thinking,too many debuffs to account for. It’ll be useful though, it purges ccs like fossilize. Running rapid regen will guarantee a purge every 2 secs , which is pretty short in pvp time.

• Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol, true
    I'll let yall know the heavy build I have been running, I've run it enough to decide it's a good build for group play in bgs. The damage is decent and can help with an ult dump, along with being decently tanky with some sustain. It's the most well rounded heavy armor build I have tried yet. I'm sure some of the more skilled players here might make more of it than I do.

So 5 reactive on body, lich jewelry and resto back bar, skoria and master lighting front bar. Front bar I have double dot poisons back bar weapon enchant. I run tri food and apprentice mundus.

Stats sit at (unbuffed) 35,731 mag, 21,662 hp, 16,371 stam. 2k sd. Recovery is 800 mag, 800 stam, but we have lich and lighting/resto so that is our sustain.

Bars are
    Fb: impale, mercy, cripple, shock clench, ele drain, meteor

Bb: ward ally, double take, dark cloak, siphon strikes, rapid regen, resto ult.

The game plan is simple enough, run in with dots and lightning heavies, when skoria procs shock clench people for the stun and nice aoe damage, meteor into cc mercy for the big damage combo. The build has been working nice in a group and seems to have potential.

Anyway hope I may have inspired someone.

Awesome, I bet this works and you're a beast to take down. I'd even use path over double take for more hps.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭

You won't change CE with a defensive set, promise.
    PC EU - DC only
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That’s what I was thinking,too many debuffs to account for. It’ll be useful though, it purges ccs like fossilize. Running rapid regen will guarantee a purge every 2 secs , which is pretty short in pvp time.

Which is why I think they will settle on anywhere from 4-7 seconds AND remove the magicka restoring bonus.
  • Stravokov
    Stravokov
    ✭✭✭✭
    stopped playing myself because of how broken mageblade/vampire are. maybe ill turn my sub back on when it is addressed down the road... if that happens. the class was broken 2 - 3 patches ago, yet they still managed to nerf it further with each patch.

i think ZOS just listens to their player base to do the balancing for them. after all, mage blades always pissed off people because, you guessed it, Shadow/invisibility spam. now they have a team dedicated to getting feedback from different categorical imbalances via the forums. they never had a plan to capture actual data it seems, and in every mmo ive played (20 + years worth) the absolute worst decision developers can make is -Listening to forum complainers to balance your game-.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is why I think they will settle on anywhere from 4-7 seconds AND remove the magicka restoring bonus.

If they do that no one will use it. It’s completely useless at that point. I played Templar for years and it’s countless times I purged just for what I wanted purged to still be there or instantly reapplied. Raising the time it’ll lose its appeal because the game is plagued with negative effects.