The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is Magblade Even a Class anymore?

WacArnold
WacArnold
✭✭✭
Magblade is just garbage to put it lightly. The identity of the class is completely gone, I mean seriously whats the purpose of a magblade? Bomber builds still have a little relativity but is this what magblade has come to a suicide bomber? Ranged has so many counters its not even funny, and melee you have to have a gift to get anywhere and still most classes will would pick a fight with you just for practice and a good laugh. I just don't even know what this class is about anymore its a crap sorc mixed with a crap templar only to be countered by most other classes.

I know there are some that can still make it work and i'm glad for those of you still play it, but in the big picture of things you might as well shoot yourself in the foot in cyrodiil playing one. The disadvantage to being a magblade far out weights the advantages imo. Just look at the overall population of cyrodiil (I can only speak for xbox) magblades are rare. Every patch since siphoning attacks was first changed this class has had nerf after nerf after nerf, now here we are a broken lost class that has no idea if it should even be in cyrodiil in the first place.

You may not agree with me but I know this class has gone into the crapper compared to other classes. ZOS for gods sake play a magblade once in a while.
Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erm, not sure if you played in 2018 at all when they dominated PvE and PvP...

The crap sorc comment made me lol, as reach meta favoured MagBlade pretty strongly. Honnestly Blades haven't had much to complain about for a good while.

BUT NB vs Sorc pride battle aside i do hate it when a class loses it's identity or purpose. Sorcs have right now, gone are the hard hitting glass cannons of the past. Now we are all tanky and hit like a wet lettuce if they haven't mitigated half the burst. It's weir when they move classes away from what feels natural to them.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

The crap sorc comment made me lol, as reach meta favoured MagBlade pretty strongly. Honnestly Blades haven't had much to complain about for a good while.

BUT NB vs Sorc pride battle aside i do hate it when a class loses it's identity or purpose. Sorcs have right now, gone are the hard hitting glass cannons of the past. Now we are all tanky and hit like a wet lettuce if they haven't mitigated half the burst. It's weir when they move classes away from what feels natural to them.

They never dominated PvP unless you are a "Stormhaven Hero"

The class has little to no identity and is basically an edgy sorc with red magic. It can preform but not well and there are many reasons for that.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭

Your right, it is weird. I guess its the same for both classes it throws us for a loop when our damage is not as high, and we are building around defense instead
    Let me rephrase my crap comments lol, With the lower damage and mediocre heals and not sure if magblades are suppose to be subpar Dps or healers.
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imho destro resto magblade is fine at the moment. Maybe an issue with playstyle?
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berenhir wrote: »
    Imho destro resto magblade is fine at the moment. Maybe an issue with playstyle?

By fine do you mean playable? Because i agree it's playable, but it's horrible compared to other classes at the moment. It's just too off meta. everything in cyrodiil counters it. Everyone has snares and roots, everyone has AOEs, most players have some form of reflect. Combine that with the lack of burst healing and it leads to alot of problems especially once you get into execute range.

Another big problem is how some classes can have everything they need a magblade can't have that. You can't have damage survivability and sustain as a magblade. You can only have two out of three. Magsorc has the same problem right now and that's due to the shield change.
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

By fine do you mean playable? Because i agree it's playable, but it's horrible compared to other classes at the moment. It's just too off meta. everything in cyrodiil counters it. Everyone has snares and roots, everyone has AOEs, most players have some form of reflect. Combine that with the lack of burst healing and it leads to alot of problems especially once you get into execute range.

Another big problem is how some classes can have everything they need a magblade can't have that. You can't have damage survivability and sustain as a magblade. You can only have two out of three. Magsorc has the same problem right now and that's due to the shield change.

Only because you cannot build it does not mean I cannot have it ;)
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with you op. Mageblade is in a good place but there are internal Balances. You can't have everything and be the best at it all. No class can.

Now it seems to me at least in theory i can defeat any class but any class can defeat me. The Magicka DK hard counter is a myth. No more easy wins against medium armored opponents, etc.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The struggle is real but I like the challenge. Heck, I even saw Mizaru slumming it and playing a ranged mag nb a few nights ago. He was still kicking it but I would wager he would tell you that people don't melt as fast as on his stam nb.
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with you op. Mageblade is in a good place but there are internal Balances. You can't have everything and be the best at it all. No class can.

Now it seems to me at least in theory i can defeat any class but any class can defeat me. The Magicka DK hard counter is a myth. No more easy wins against medium armored opponents, etc.

I would say there are more "not a good match up/strong counter classes and builds" than ever before. It depends on how well played the opposition is of course but magnb is a jack of all trades master of none and could really use some refinement...I'd prefer it to be more melee orientated but that's never going to happen.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is well balanced ranged vs melee. We have a gap closer. A melee spammable. A ranged spammable. A ranged cc. A melee cc. We have a ranged proc that doesn't require a bow or staff. We have two melee ultis. A ranged dot. A melee aoe that empowers spells. You can run almost all that on one bar.

Btw Mageblade is a master of stealth and trickery. How you gonna lie and say they're not lol.
    Edited by Metemsycosis on January 6, 2019 12:10AM

sanguinare vampiris

• LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think staff mnb is pretty solid. It might need a couple adjustments here and there but overall it seems like a solid choice in a lot of types of pvp. Melee magblade on the other hand (other than gank builds because mnb gank is really strong) I think could use some help. But the truth is that all melee mag classes could use some help, not just nb. There are many changes that have nerfed melee mag builds but one of the main ones is the fact that you don't get beefy lights on melee mag. I think it's time zos adds a melee mag weapon line.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destro and melee in heavy (arcane/swift jewelry) is imo best for mageblade this patch.

Good healing, damage is varied and yet easy to use, hard to land but worthwhile burst. Tanky, elusive.

ETA: a buddy of mine likes btb+ shackle breaker in light / seems successful
    Edited by Metemsycosis on January 6, 2019 12:47AM

sanguinare vampiris

• ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, yeah its got some identity issues considering it has pretty bad healing whilst damaging... despite having the siphoning tree. Its offense is janky being heavily single target and easy enough to predict. However it has two of the best abilities in game in shade and cloak. A strong PvE pressence even now. Better sustain than the other mag classes. (Except maybe magden)
    Its a slightly underperforming class as opposed to a dead one.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destro and melee in heavy (arcane/swift jewelry) is imo best for mageblade this patch.

Good healing, damage is varied and yet easy to use, hard to land but worthwhile burst. Tanky, elusive.

destro and melee? two separate builds, or running a melee backbar? curious where the healing is from here - I suppose troll king in a refreshing path maybe?

also, swift jewelry? :( Just hard to justify after the patch...
    Edited by mav1234 on January 6, 2019 2:26AM
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    mav1234 wrote: »

destro and melee? two separate builds, or running a melee backbar? curious where the healing is from here - I suppose troll king in a refreshing path maybe?

also, swift jewelry? :( Just hard to justify after the patch...

No. I run either reach or pulse with lotus concealed and tether /impale or spectral bow. Back bar is healing and escape/fight control. I.e., shade, cloak, manifestation of terror, mist, cripple, lights champion.

sanguinare vampiris

• mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I run either reach or pulse with lotus concealed and tether /impale or spectral bow. Back bar is healing and escape/fight control. I.e., shade, cloak, manifestation of terror, mist, cripple, lights champion.

Interesting setup - do you typically run Dark Cloak, or are you still using Shadowy Disguise? Your front bar is very typical for when I've run melee destro, but I always did it in light and found it too squishy (surprise! :P). May try it in heavy, I appreciate the suggestion.
    Edited by mav1234 on January 6, 2019 2:47AM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

MagDK has more self healing than a Magblade. Stamplar now has better sustain than a magblade. All of magblade's damage is refelctable. Bar space is worse than before because ZOS screwed healing ward. Almost forced to use blackrose resto. Best burst heal is blessing of protection and that actually has a chance to miss you sometimes as well as having a delay between cast and when it hits your character.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I personally think staff mnb is pretty solid. It might need a couple adjustments here and there but overall it seems like a solid choice in a lot of types of pvp. Melee magblade on the other hand (other than gank builds because mnb gank is really strong) I think could use some help. But the truth is that all melee mag classes could use some help, not just nb. There are many changes that have nerfed melee mag builds but one of the main ones is the fact that you don't get beefy lights on melee mag. I think it's time zos adds a melee mag weapon line.

Staff magblade used to be pretty solid but with murkmire it's... Personally it's not worth playing anymore but it can still do things. It's not very fun anymore and the class still lacks a lot of identity. The class' best stun is a melee range skill as well as their best ultimate but every other skill compliments a ranged playstyle not to mention that the ranged playstyle means you have low uptime of your major resist buffs making it even harder to go into melee for use of those aforementioned skills. You used to be able to cast path to get the resistance buff but ever since path got screwed over it's not worth using especially since mutagen does more healing.
    Edited by NyassaV on January 6, 2019 3:00AM
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I
    mav1234 wrote: »

Interesting setup - do you typically run Dark Cloak, or are you still using Shadowy Disguise? Your front bar is very typical for when I've run melee destro, but I always did it in light and found it too squishy (surprise! :P). May try it in heavy, I appreciate the suggestion.

Exactly. Shadowy disguise. A typical combo might be like: cripple, weapon switch, cloak, heavy attack, lotus, concealed, soul harvest. Or stay range and light weave until bow proc/ulti.

If you use caluu jewelery plus weapon (I don't, not really often) the combo is even simpler.

sanguinare vampiris

• Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NyassaV wrote: »

MagDK has more self healing than a Magblade. Stamplar now has better sustain than a magblade. All of magblade's damage is refelctable. Bar space is worse than before because ZOS screwed healing ward. Almost forced to use blackrose resto. Best burst heal is blessing of protection and that actually has a chance to miss you sometimes as well as having a delay between cast and when it hits your character.

Healing Ward is not worth using anymore, LA shield is better in every aspect. If you rely on healing ward, you need a burst heal to compensate for the loss of the initial heal. Play your toon like a stamtoon who uses vigor and get your hots and weaving heals rolling and give them time to work with LA shield, cloak, stuns or dodge.

Reflect is a problem but unlike other classes, you usually have the choice to disengage. I use WoE and soul tether/harvest to deny my opponent a cosy time in melee range. Once the opponents take damage, they usually get sloppy with their wings and I can poke for assassin's will burst windows. I still vote for cripple being unreflectable though.

Sustain is not an issue for me as I use maelstrom resto, light armor, siphoning attacks and only play my argonian nightblade in PvP. So I can sustain fine with 1.6k regen.

I would advise everybody to drop vamp though as it makes you absurdly squishy and unable to fight decent DKs or stamtoons with DBoS. It also gives you the option to use citrus filet properly and thus another 350 hps, which is not much but every HoT counts when you stack them :blush:
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Classes and Class identity in a game with free builds? please. You're the one who should decide how your class plays in ESO.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The struggle is real but I like the challenge. Heck, I even saw Mizaru slumming it and playing a ranged mag nb a few nights ago. He was still kicking it but I would wager he would tell you that people don't melt as fast as on his stam nb.

The fact that you say magdk hard counter is a myth tell me you either don't play magblade or are just really bad and can't tell the difference in who you're fighting.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magnb was hit the hardest with the shield nerf. I have tried ton of different combos, heavy, light, ranged, melee, all of them have major issues. I would get into all rhe different major problems with each playstyle I've found but honestly what's the point. Zos won't do anything about it
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    Magnb was hit the hardest with the shield nerf. I have tried ton of different combos, heavy, light, ranged, melee, all of them have major issues. I would get into all rhe different major problems with each playstyle I've found but honestly what's the point. Zos won't do anything about it

Sorcs got hit in my opinion the hardest after that nbs. I really do not know how the hell they thought taking away the little heal of healing ward was a good idea.
    The buff to wings also made it so that all dks now run wings which just leaves the almost unkillable for sorc and nbs.

Also i totally agree that nb lost it's identity in my opinion: fast, squishy, healing scaling of damage.

Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magblade has issues but sustain isn’t one of them, destro/resto magblade still has the best sustain in the game.

The issues are mainly related to snares, the lack of a purge and shields. Sure you “can’t” be a jack of all trades but you shouldn’t be able to do that. Plus, when cloak/shade is working magblade becomes pretty survivable. So in a sense they still have all 3.

• ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »

The fact that you say magdk hard counter is a myth tell me you either don't play magblade or are just really bad and can't tell the difference in who you're fighting.

I think you are quoting the wrong guy. I generally don't take mag DK's on unless they are afk or I am surfing a friendly angry zerg. That whip stings as much as a dawnbreaker to the face.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

they dominated because they where the funniest class to play more so than the "strongest" they had interesting abilities that played in interesting ways.

and the "crap sorc" comment is more force pulse than reach. it's better to run FP as you spammable than Strife which is *** ***. on top of that they made refreshing path basically rapid regen. they just made such a mess of magblade, i tried to play magblade again last week i think, it was just infuriating. sure i could get kills but it wasn't fun.
    Edited by Lucky28 on January 6, 2019 7:51PM
    Invictus
  • jaime1982
    jaime1982
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been on a magblade for a few months now, it's ok but not great. I'll go on to a stam build after today.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magblade has issues but sustain isn’t one of them, destro/resto magblade still has the best sustain in the game.

The issues are mainly related to snares, the lack of a purge and shields. Sure you “can’t” be a jack of all trades but you shouldn’t be able to do that. Plus, when cloak/shade is working magblade becomes pretty survivable. So in a sense they still have all 3.

No, sorry. stamplar is better. i switched to stamplar with murkmire, stamplar seriously has better sustain than magblade.
    Edited by Lucky28 on January 6, 2019 9:35PM
    Invictus
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm not saying sustain is a major issue but to say it still has the best sustain in the game is incorrect.