The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Is Magblade Even a Class anymore?

• Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest problem is that the repeated nerfs to nightblades and the trim down on their toolkit did not affect stamblades as bad as magblades, yet stamblades are used as iconic referance for the "overpowered" state of nightblades.

The tremendous cut in passive healing and the many counters to the magblade playstyle really make it hard to enjoy the class and find a reason not to just play something else
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »
    NyassaV wrote: »
    Berenhir wrote: »
    Imho destro resto magblade is fine at the moment. Maybe an issue with playstyle?

By fine do you mean playable? Because i agree it's playable, but it's horrible compared to other classes at the moment. It's just too off meta. everything in cyrodiil counters it. Everyone has snares and roots, everyone has AOEs, most players have some form of reflect. Combine that with the lack of burst healing and it leads to alot of problems especially once you get into execute range.

Another big problem is how some classes can have everything they need a magblade can't have that. You can't have damage survivability and sustain as a magblade. You can only have two out of three. Magsorc has the same problem right now and that's due to the shield change.

Only because you cannot build it does not mean I cannot have it ;)

MagDK has more self healing than a Magblade. Stamplar now has better sustain than a magblade. All of magblade's damage is refelctable. Bar space is worse than before because ZOS screwed healing ward. Almost forced to use blackrose resto. Best burst heal is blessing of protection and that actually has a chance to miss you sometimes as well as having a delay between cast and when it hits your character.

Magblade has issues but sustain isn’t one of them, destro/resto magblade still has the best sustain in the game.

The issues are mainly related to snares, the lack of a purge and shields. Sure you “can’t” be a jack of all trades but you shouldn’t be able to do that. Plus, when cloak/shade is working magblade becomes pretty survivable. So in a sense they still have all 3.

No, sorry. stamplar is better. i switched to stamplar with murkmire, stamplar seriously has better sustain than magblade.

How does stamplar have better sustain? I’d seriously like to see a valid reason. I play both classes. Magblade is the only class I rarely run out of resources with in no cp content and that’s without worrying about using pots to do so. Most stamplars run about 2k regen, while magblade gets away with 1400-1600 base regen. Include siphoning and elemental drain and it’s not even a contest.

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imho destro resto magblade is fine at the moment. Maybe an issue with playstyle?

By fine do you mean playable? Because i agree it's playable, but it's horrible compared to other classes at the moment. It's just too off meta. everything in cyrodiil counters it. Everyone has snares and roots, everyone has AOEs, most players have some form of reflect. Combine that with the lack of burst healing and it leads to alot of problems especially once you get into execute range.

Another big problem is how some classes can have everything they need a magblade can't have that. You can't have damage survivability and sustain as a magblade. You can only have two out of three. Magsorc has the same problem right now and that's due to the shield change.

MagDK has more self healing than a Magblade. Stamplar now has better sustain than a magblade. All of magblade's damage is refelctable. Bar space is worse than before because ZOS screwed healing ward. Almost forced to use blackrose resto. Best burst heal is blessing of protection and that actually has a chance to miss you sometimes as well as having a delay between cast and when it hits your character.

Magblade has issues but sustain isn’t one of them, destro/resto magblade still has the best sustain in the game.

The issues are mainly related to snares, the lack of a purge and shields. Sure you “can’t” be a jack of all trades but you shouldn’t be able to do that. Plus, when cloak/shade is working magblade becomes pretty survivable. So in a sense they still have all 3.

I'm not saying sustain is a major issue but to say it still has the best sustain in the game is incorrect.

Then what class does? The nb class in general has the best sustain. Melee magblade is the only variation that struggles.
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want sap tanks and melee magblades back. Melee magblade used to be my favorite class to solo on and im not talking bomber. Just lurking around the edges of an enemy zerg waiting for someone to stray too far from the herd and trying to pick them off and escape before you got over ran, good times.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, sorry. stamplar is better. i switched to stamplar with murkmire, stamplar seriously has better sustain than magblade.

How does stamplar have better sustain? I’d seriously like to see a valid reason. I play both classes. Magblade is the only class I rarely run out of resources with in no cp content and that’s without worrying about using pots to do so. Most stamplars run about 2k regen, while magblade gets away with 1400-1600 base regen. Include siphoning and elemental drain and it’s not even a contest.

my stamplar runs 1300 stam regen and don't often run out of stam or magicka for that matter. i dunno, just the changes to rune on top of how quick heavy attacks are with melee weapons. i just find it easier to sustain on stamplar. not that it's particularly hard, but easier none the less.
    Edited by Lucky28 on January 7, 2019 5:03AM
    Invictus
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bar space feels very cramped on both melee and ranged magblade, as it feels harder to hit the big major buffs, get necessary destro skills, etc. I also feel like I need to work harder on the magblade than other classes. But particularly in Cyrodill, I still find ranged magblade really fun. I'm not having as much fun with it in BGs though. I used to prefer melee there, so may try to come up with a good build for that again.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

my stamplar runs 1300 stam regen and don't often run out of stam or magicka for that matter. i dunno, just the changes to rune on top of how quick heavy attacks are with melee weapons. i just find it easier to sustain on stamplar. not that it's particularly hard, but easier none the less.

Stamplar is easier to play, maybe that’s where the issue is. Magblade requires the highest effort to play at a high level in my opinion. Their sustain for example is intertwined with their ability to be aggressive and stay aggressive.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive seen plenty of magblades do really well in pvp. Every class has its weaknesses.
  • steven22
    steven22
    ✭✭✭
    MagBlades are solid , not weak and not good .
    Main - Char : Dandriil - Tamriel Hero, Explorer, Stormproof,Overlord

Nightblade since Beta , ESO Plus , PC EU

Proud Magicka Nightblade
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destro and melee in heavy (arcane/swift jewelry) is imo best for mageblade this patch.

Good healing, damage is varied and yet easy to use, hard to land but worthwhile burst. Tanky, elusive.

ETA: a buddy of mine likes btb+ shackle breaker in light / seems successful

Is this Cyrodiil or BGs we’re talking about? If BGs, I have no idea why people feel they need to run heavy armour. Damage sucks in heavy. If you combine a defensive monster set with a sustain set and damage set (e.g. Chudan), 5L/1H/1M, you’re tanky AND you can kill things. For even more tankiness? Ditch shadowy disguise for Dark Cloak. Trust me on this. Dark Cloak plus your magicka shield (whether harness or hardened) provides solid defense. It also confuses the crap out of people, because they expect you to stealth away and spam expensive AOEs or reveals on you.
  • Nutshotz
    Nutshotz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here are my issues with magblades.

- cloak is garbage. Bring back our purge cloak. Unless you have around 30k hp than the healing one is pretty damn good
    - this doesn't count towards mnb but for anyone that runs vamp. That 25% extra flame dmg is brutal. So a mDK yeah most I leave alone.

- soul harvest vs incap. Both have defile but incap has the stun while harvest gets ult. At least give harvest something similar.
    - focus vs resolve. Both get minor berserk and are proc'd off of 5 LA's but why not give resolve a mag return?
    - hemorrhage passive needs to add spell crit in there not just wpn crit.
    - concealed weapons needs to be a Magicka morph ONLY! not have these Stam blades running around with 3 swift accessories and concealed wpns and being insanely fast. Was saying this long before we got jewelry crafting.
    - cloak. You'll all think I'm crazy for this but bring back the pruge cloak!
    - hysteria vs terror. Bring hysteria to 4 or 5. Can leave terror alone
    - shade. Just fix shade. Still buggy as hell
    - strikes morphs. Revert back to old morphs

I could sit here and nag more to benefit mNB but knowing zos track record they'd probably nerf them instead and buff the other classes.
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my thoughts on magblade right now, Cyrodiil open world can still be fun and decent results, high mmr bgs, better select something else perhaps unless you in a premade where all know what to do, or its masochism because of all the aoe, unless you go very tanky, but then again.. if wanna go tanky, other classes provide better tools for such.

After testing a million builds and variations, current meta on enemies made Crushing Shock as spammable be a must, sadly. Caluurion on 1 bar so can control its proc helps a lot, or you get it reflected back all the time. Kinda need Caluurion damage though to seal the kills, or fights take too long and you risk on being zerged down if not fast enough. If wanna play melee, Zaan.. but playing melee now is pain, so many tanky stamdens that shalk/spin2win you the moment you are in range, dks do what dks do..

Cyrodiil life. Still fun to be a scout with magblade since can permacloak from Ales to Arrius if wants and go do troll sieges and ganking at resources. But all in all, if need to give a rating to magblade, it feels like a mid-tier spec right now.

• mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - concealed weapons needs to be a Magicka morph ONLY! not have these Stam blades running around with 3 swift accessories and concealed wpns and being insanely fast. Was saying this long before we got jewelry crafting.

Concealed weapons is a magicka morph. The stamina morph does not provide a speed bonus.
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many changes that have nerfed melee mag builds but one of the main ones is the fact that you don't get beefy lights on melee mag. I think it's time zos adds a melee mag weapon line.

all mdk's everywhere salute this endeavor.
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stamplar is easier to play, maybe that’s where the issue is. Magblade requires the highest effort to play at a high level in my opinion. Their sustain for example is intertwined with their ability to be aggressive and stay aggressive.

yes that's how magblade is supposed to play. however, that's kinda the problem isn't it?. our heals and defenses got gutted making it harder to remain on the offensive for extended periods.
    Edited by Lucky28 on January 7, 2019 4:18PM
    Invictus
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes that's how magblade is supposed to play. however, that's kinda the problem isn't it?. our heals and defenses got gutted making it harder to remain on the offensive for extended periods.

I think that is really it, particularly for melee magblade, where barspace becomes such a huge issue, and the hots that the class has are largely inferior to vigor. The lack of snare removal (or a good cleanse), too, makes it frustrating.
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Isn’t cloak the most op skill in the game?
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play 2 magblades, they do fine.
    really good is a stamden and then a magden imho (play them too in cyro)
    then comes a stamsorc and after that my stamblades and after them the magblades,
    so yeah OP is another word, but it is not as bad that I could say UNDERperforming, it is OK imho
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did someone leave a portal to an Alternate universe open somewhere? Magblade is in a great place!
    Reserving this spot for elaboration once I have time to write it.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • steven22
    steven22
    ✭✭✭
    Skoomah wrote: »

I Play Nb , But what is so unfair and OP at Cloak nowadays ?
    Main - Char : Dandriil - Tamriel Hero, Explorer, Stormproof,Overlord

Nightblade since Beta , ESO Plus , PC EU

Proud Magicka Nightblade
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    Destro and melee in heavy (arcane/swift jewelry) is imo best for mageblade this patch.

Good healing, damage is varied and yet easy to use, hard to land but worthwhile burst. Tanky, elusive.

ETA: a buddy of mine likes btb+ shackle breaker in light / seems successful

Is this Cyrodiil or BGs we’re talking about? If BGs, I have no idea why people feel they need to run heavy armour. Damage sucks in heavy. If you combine a defensive monster set with a sustain set and damage set (e.g. Chudan), 5L/1H/1M, you’re tanky AND you can kill things. For even more tankiness? Ditch shadowy disguise for Dark Cloak. Trust me on this. Dark Cloak plus your magicka shield (whether harness or hardened) provides solid defense. It also confuses the crap out of people, because they expect you to stealth away and spam expensive AOEs or reveals on you.

I run a NB healer in bgs and in open world i don't.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wanted to add also that anything a DK can reflect you can force miss with cloak
    Edited by Metemsycosis on January 7, 2019 6:39PM
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on how you play. Solo it becomes an issue outnumbered but in group play it’s much easier to maintain.

• NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Do a dummy parse and you'll see what we're getting at. It even carries into PvP a bit. At the end of the day stamplar has easy access to DW heavy attacks for even easier sustain too
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    steven22 wrote: »
    MagBlades are solid , not weak and not good .

Leaning towards weak since they gutted path and healing ward
  • Nutshotz
    Nutshotz
    ✭✭✭✭
    mav1234 wrote: »

Concealed weapons is a magicka morph. The stamina morph does not provide a speed bonus.

What I mean by this is that only mNB can use this. I know it's a Magicka morph
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Depends on how you play. Solo it becomes an issue outnumbered but in group play it’s much easier to maintain.

Almost anything is easy to maintain in group play so that argument doesn't pan out too well.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem I'm seeing with magblade is that your mobility is too easily hampered for the lack of burst healing and healing overall that you have. This combination of problems almost guarantee death when fighting someone of equal skill level when you enter execute range. The class can still be pretty potent 1v1 but 1vX these problems can make the class almost unplayable.

I think what would fix the class is giving it some snare and root immunity similar to FM. After the shield changes you really can't take a hit without playing with sets like armor master and you are also going to probably need to run all regen glyphs on the jewelry to sustain dampen. This will leave you with very little damage potential. While only making you slightly more survivable.

The class still has a lot to offer but it's just too far off meta to be successful in most situations With no real way to build a viable build in light armor. I basically need to use all utility/defensive sets now in light armor to play open world. 1v1 I can add a damage set in there but I don't get very many 1v1s in cyrodiil

• Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is well balanced ranged vs melee. We have a gap closer. A melee spammable. A ranged spammable. A ranged cc. A melee cc. We have a ranged proc that doesn't require a bow or staff. We have two melee ultis. A ranged dot. A melee aoe that empowers spells. You can run almost all that on one bar.

Btw Mageblade is a master of stealth and trickery. How you gonna lie and say they're not lol.

The description of a TES nightblade is in my sig. Stamblades shouldn't even exist imho.
    Edited by Knootewoot on January 7, 2019 8:47PM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skoomah wrote: »

If you're playing stamblade with snare immunity, then yeah Cloak is OP. id you're playing magicka with no snare immunity then no not really. snare immunity is what makes cloak op, it's not the skill itself.
    Edited by Lucky28 on January 7, 2019 8:57PM
    Invictus