Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Time To Fix Heavy Armor Meta

• IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbf, there's no such thing as leather armour used for combat irl as leather would have to be really really thick to the point of it being debiliating to defend you from what plate armors can do. So technically, making leather armor the worst mobility sounds like a good idea if they want more mitigation on MA. :D because as far as I know, those who wore HA irl could do just about everything non-armored people could.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
    Options
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again people cry for nerfs to heavy that has already been nerfed, instead of just asking for buffs towards light and medium armor. Why make your own builds better when you can ruin others though right ?
    Options
  • PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭
    This change wouldn't do anything because heavy armor builds don't actually run nearly that much penetration anyway. 5-6k tops usually. Which translates to roughly 8-9% total damage lost. And besides why shouldn't heavy armor builds be able to do damage? I'm pretty sure knights in full plate armor were still pretty effective killing machines. The difference is and always had been in mobility and the recent changes should help with that.
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More buffs to light and medium would be better
    Options
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    Don't worry guys sorcs will save the day. On the sorc discord we've already theory crafted some really nasty heavy wardless setups that will blast people's hairline back 5 generations. The forums will be in an uproar and heavy will get put in its rightful place.

Feel free to share.....
    Options
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »
    Its time to do something about heavy armor builds with high damage, Players in 5-7 heavy shouldnt be able to take players in light or medium armor.

A great way to do this without effecting heavy armor healer? Add to battle spirit that every piece of heavy armor after 1 reduces spell and physical pen by 3k ish

At 3k reduced pen a player wearing 5 pc of heavy will be down 15k pen and thats the average amount of penetration you can get out of heavy armor build. They wont be able to kill anything, which is how TANKS SHOULD BE . Bleed and oblivion dmg might still be a problem but this should do a decent job of fixing things.

Heavy healers will be fine because pen doesnt effect heals

Holy :facepalm: just no, Heavy Armor doesn't mean zero damage. Heavy Armor damage Player are completely valid. Heavy Armor damage sets exist, so do Heavy Armor defensive sets. If you run defensive sets you wont kill anything, Heartland, Durok's, Ward. Or you can run something in between like Blackrose, or run something offensive like Ravager and 7th. The same way if you run Light Fortified Brass, you will also be lacking in damage

Second, there are huge Armor changes coming, so you might even have already got your wish without this idiotic idea.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

Options
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The first avenue of approach for balancing HA should be to buff the ever loving *** out of Mace/Maul and see where it falls out. It is currently the only HA counter that scales against HA.

For instance 2H Maul could have a 30% chance to outright ignore an enemy's resistances and active mitigation (i.e. blocking). This won't mean much versus your typical LA magplar who doesn't have any armor anyways, but scales incredibly well against HA.
    Edited by usmcjdking on October 5, 2018 12:38AM
    Options
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »
    The first avenue of approach for balancing HA should be to buff the ever loving *** out of Mace/Maul and see where it falls out.

Now that's an interesting idea. Hella lot better than the OP's
    Edited by Maura_Neysa on October 5, 2018 12:38AM
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

Options
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balance is spelled b o r i n g.
    Combat is all about upsetting the balance.

While very true that balance is boring. The deviations shouldn't be as drastic as seen in eso. They should maybe be 5 to 10%. Take for instance a heavy armor person will have roughly 30k resists and 30k health... while someone in medium will have 25k resists and 25k health... that's roughly a 16% difference. Pair that with heavy being able to get very close in weapon damage, max stats and decent passives and it's no wonder why it over performs. Also people need a sense of self accomplishment in a game and getting steam rolled by fotm builds =/= accomplishment. You are only driving a wedge and people wonder why cyrodiil is becoming a barren wasteland.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

Options
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    Balance is spelled b o r i n g.
    Combat is all about upsetting the balance.

While very true that balance is boring. The deviations shouldn't be as drastic as seen in eso. They should maybe be 5 to 10%. Take for instance a heavy armor person will have roughly 30k resists and 30k health... while someone in medium will have 25k resists and 25k health... that's roughly a 16% difference. Pair that with heavy being able to get very close in weapon damage, max stats and decent passives and it's no wonder why it over performs. Also people need a sense of self accomplishment in a game and getting steam rolled by fotm builds =/= accomplishment. You are only driving a wedge and people wonder why cyrodiil is becoming a barren wasteland.

Oh, 16% difference you say? Kinda like medium armor will have 15% more weapon damage? Cost reduction? Roll reduction? Extra regen? Sprint boost? There are tradeoffs, and the argument is about where balance can be found with all these different attributes. Medium armor is strong in the right hands. If it had the survival of heavy it would be broken because of the passives I mentioned.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
    Options
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does everyone think countering heavy is the way ? Adding extra stuff that mainly affects heavy, making heavy have negetive affects ect, just buff light and medium, problem solved.
    Options
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gnozo wrote: »
    Its time to do something about heavy armor builds with high damage, Players in 5-7 heavy shouldnt be able to take players in light or medium armor.

A great way to do this without effecting heavy armor healer? Add to battle spirit that every piece of heavy armor after 1 reduces spell and physical pen by 3k ish

At 3k reduced pen a player wearing 5 pc of heavy will be down 15k pen and thats the average amount of penetration you can get out of heavy armor build. They wont be able to kill anything, which is how TANKS SHOULD BE . Bleed and oblivion dmg might still be a problem but this should do a decent job of fixing things.

So i loose 3k pen by going 5-2-0? :(

Anyway, heavy is strong yes cause with 7th and Fury you can get pretty decent weapon damage but 0 sustain. You need to sustain with heavy attacks. If your enemy is at least a bit competetive it just takes him a right click to delete your sustain.

I wouldnt say nerf heavy. I would say buff light and medium armor to bring them to a point where they offer more sustain and damage then heavy. Heavy should still be a viable option and not made 100% useless with your suggested Change.

Heavy armor is one of the last Tools for solo/smallscale players they can utilize to survive masses of brainless zerglings.

Anyway, heavy is strong yes cause with 7th and Fury you can get pretty decent weapon damage but 0 sustain. You need to sustain with heavy attacks. If your enemy is at least a bit competetive it just takes him a right click to delete your sustain.

I wouldnt say nerf heavy. I would say buff light and medium armor to bring them to a point where they offer more sustain and damage then heavy. Heavy should still be a viable option and not made 100% useless with your suggested Change.

Heavy armor is one of the last Tools for solo/smallscale players they can utilize to survive masses of brainless zerglings.

Wanna take a guess why folks Zerg? Because unkillelable small scale guys in heavy armor bursting just shy of a light armor build who cannot be killed. They then come and post on the boards about how elite they are because of broken game mechanics.
    Options
  • tactx
    tactx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    More buffs to light and medium would be better

Buff (Computer Gaming)

Buff is a term used in some video games, especially MMORPGs and MUDs, to describe increases in the power of a game element. There are two main usages. The first describes a permanent (or at least indefinite) increase in power levels as a result of adjustments to game mechanics, usually in pursuit of game balance. In this usage, buff is the opposite of nerf. The second usage of buff describes an effect (usually cast as a spell) that temporarily enhances a player.

In light of all the nerfs I thought that perhaps the "team" was unfamiliar with the word so wanted to include the definition here in the hopes they try it sometime.
    “No one's happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy.” - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged
    Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Why shouldn't a Player in heavy not be able to take a person in medium or light?
    Makes no sense, are you saying that the type of armor you wear should decide a battle?
    Then should a player in medium not be able to take a player in light armor? :/

Becuase you shouldnt be able to have 25-30k resist and 30k health and do high amounts of dps to players. As of right now there is no reason not to run heavy as a dps. A heavy armor build can be over pen'ing players, everage medium and light resist is around 15k and it is EASY to get that much penetration.

Why not? Because tanks should't be able to do dmg?

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1533691670

Do I have to explain you how that battle ended?

I agree that heavy should't be as mobile as medium or light, but by no way it should do less dmg per se

So everybody runs stam heavy armour 2h/dw bc of way better survivability and 7k weapon damage. And I mean everybody. 100% of the population. Because why would you gimp yourself when the copy paste 7th/fury/bs heavy armour meta is a ton better?

The point is those few sets combined with heavy are overperforming AND there are 2 other less desirable weights and a ton of sets that just sit bc why use them? Were talking about BALANCE. Damage vs survivability between 3 weights of armour and out of line sets.

bal·ance
    ˈbaləns/noun: balance; plural noun: balances - condition in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions.

And your approach to get balance is "nerf heavy"?

As I mentioned above, heavy should be less mobile than medium or light. But doing less dmg than medium? Do you really want to send heavy to Oblivion?

Yes and some heavy armour sets. Heavy armour has WAAAAY more survivability than medium or light and if youre running heavy, chances are your running 7th/fury/bs which is more damage than mag and right up there with a divines gank build. So slowing heavy down a bit wont fix much. Like Irylia said earlier, nerf the offending sets. Put some kinda of mitigation or cc immunity in med and light passives and POOF medium and light will be relevant again.

Are you kidding? The 3 types have around the same survaibility, the thing is that both, medium and light require skill, while Heavy don't, but that's all. Sure, they can hit the armor cap, but medium can do that too using Brass. Even light can get as high as 23k resistance combining Almalexia's Mercy with Alessia's Bulwark and that's without using major ward/Resolve and also they give you 2 very interesting procs (Did you know you can proc alma heal with equilibrium?)

Heavy also lacks the resource recovery the other two have and the only way to keep on battle is by receiving dmg. Use a poison that drains stam, a stun and 43 points into the siphoning CP star, and the guy is done, no way he can build stam as quick and as reliabily as medium.
    Edited by Xvorg on October 5, 2018 2:55AM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By OP's logic a full plate knight(heavy armor) shouldn't be able to kill peasants(clothes aka light armor) lol just lol

If you decide to come into battle in clothes it is your own troubles same as bringing a baseball bat into gunfight.

On a serious note if you got pwned you just got pwned and no excuses like omg lag his armor killing me he is op...

No one prohibits you in your action - go roll class/gear combo you think is op and go pwn...or return to forums crying cuz

something has killed you...again

Edited by Darkenarlol on October 5, 2018 2:56AM
    Options
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread should say:
    “Time to fix the FURY meta”

If you want to be tank, you go out there & block your heart out, but if you want to do that & then turn around with 700 weapon damage that’s just broken & uncalled for ZOS

Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
    Options
  • BlackLabel
    BlackLabel
    ✭✭✭
    Care to share me the builds? I’m lost on what to do with my ss next patch I almost just want to take a looooong break
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HAs problem is that is really has no weakness. Anything that's built to deal with heavy armor more often than not is more effective vs. light & medium. The only HA hard counter that I'm aware of is Maces/Mauls which scale incredibly well with HA and poorly vs. light.

A significant buff to maces/mauls might be enough to reign in HA to an acceptable degree.

Which would leave magica somewhat in the dust? ._.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illuvatarr wrote: »

Wanna take a guess why folks Zerg? Because unkillelable small scale guys in heavy armor bursting just shy of a light armor build who cannot be killed. They then come and post on the boards about how elite they are because of broken game mechanics.

No heavy armor build is unkillable. If i manage to kill these "op, heavy armor unkillable Builds" in a 1v1. Everyone should be able to do it.

These so called pugs who cry over heavy armor are the ones who use light and heavy attacks as their main source of damage and dont even use any heal if you stand in Front of them deleting their HP. They even continue heavy attacking. I am sorry but that wont get you killed anything

If you Go medium armor you are forced to rely on dodge roll to mitigate damage. And tbh, only a nightblade can make proper use of medium cause they can reset the dodge roll cooldown with cloak.

DKs are build to run heavy armor, wardens are. They are build for it. And every heavy armor build can be killed. They are not immortal. They are immortal to pugs, so is medium and light .
    Options
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    HAs problem is that is really has no weakness. Anything that's built to deal with heavy armor more often than not is more effective vs. light & medium. The only HA hard counter that I'm aware of is Maces/Mauls which scale incredibly well with HA and poorly vs. light.

A significant buff to maces/mauls might be enough to reign in HA to an acceptable degree.

Which would leave magica somewhat in the dust? ._.

I'd venture to say it would bring back DW magicka bigtime as I left the DW bonus as unclassified penetration not physical.
    Options
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why shouldn't a Player in heavy not be able to take a person in medium or light?
    Makes no sense, are you saying that the type of armor you wear should decide a battle?

Becuase you shouldnt be able to have 25-30k resist and 30k health and do high amounts of dps to players. As of right now there is no reason not to run heavy as a dps. A heavy armor build can be over pen'ing players, everage medium and light resist is around 15k and it is EASY to get that much penetration.

Why not? Because tanks should't be able to do dmg?

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1533691670

Do I have to explain you how that battle ended?

I agree that heavy should't be as mobile as medium or light, but by no way it should do less dmg per se

So everybody runs stam heavy armour 2h/dw bc of way better survivability and 7k weapon damage. And I mean everybody. 100% of the population. Because why would you gimp yourself when the copy paste 7th/fury/bs heavy armour meta is a ton better?

The point is those few sets combined with heavy are overperforming AND there are 2 other less desirable weights and a ton of sets that just sit bc why use them? Were talking about BALANCE. Damage vs survivability between 3 weights of armour and out of line sets.

bal·ance
    ˈbaləns/noun: balance; plural noun: balances - condition in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions.

And your approach to get balance is "nerf heavy"?

As I mentioned above, heavy should be less mobile than medium or light. But doing less dmg than medium? Do you really want to send heavy to Oblivion?

mobility has nothing to do with kills

the problem is heavy armor is able to kill builds that cant kill them, especially burst builds that cant pressure
    Options
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Holy :facepalm: just no, Heavy Armor doesn't mean zero damage. Heavy Armor damage Player are completely valid. Heavy Armor damage sets exist, so do Heavy Armor defensive sets. If you run defensive sets you wont kill anything, Heartland, Durok's, Ward. Or you can run something in between like Blackrose, or run something offensive like Ravager and 7th. The same way if you run Light Fortified Brass, you will also be lacking in damage

Second, there are huge Armor changes coming, so you might even have already got your wish without this idiotic idea.

So you feel that its just fine that players with 30k resist are able to have the exact same pen and dmg as a player in light or meduim
    Options
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you feel that its just fine that players with 30k resist are able to have the exact same pen and dmg as a player in light or meduim

You realize players in Heavy armor don't have the exact same pen as light? and they don't have 30k armor just out of the gate right?
    Options
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Illuvatarr wrote: »

No heavy armor build is unkillable. If i manage to kill these "op, heavy armor unkillable Builds" in a 1v1. Everyone should be able to do it.

These so called pugs who cry over heavy armor are the ones who use light and heavy attacks as their main source of damage and dont even use any heal if you stand in Front of them deleting their HP. They even continue heavy attacking. I am sorry but that wont get you killed anything

If you Go medium armor you are forced to rely on dodge roll to mitigate damage. And tbh, only a nightblade can make proper use of medium cause they can reset the dodge roll cooldown with cloak.

DKs are build to run heavy armor, wardens are. They are build for it. And every heavy armor build can be killed. They are not immortal. They are immortal to pugs, so is medium and light .

im not some noob that doent know how to pvp. there are tanks that i can hit with a perfectly timed burst curse frag wrath meteor runecage so there not even blocking and it doesnt dent there healthbar. and yes my build is fine too, 15k spell pen, 4.5k spell dmg
    Options
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »

You realize players in Heavy armor don't have the exact same pen as light? and they don't have 30k armor just out of the gate right?

ya i do realize that, they lose 5k pen over light but you can still get like 15k pen on a heavy builds and that is enough to be over pen on light and medium

I dont know what your talking about on the tank resist tho. On my negate tank with 0 buffs ive got 25k, thats not even a class with resist buffs like dk
    Options
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As I understand your view, heavy armor should be only about "surviving" and not damage, while light/medium armor should be more aimed towards damage. Thing is, you can reach things like resistance cap in light/medium armor without sacrificing too much damage and sustain.

So if I assume correctly, you would be against medium/light armor builds being able to reach way above resistance cap and having high damage?? I´m seriously asking, not mocking you or anything :/
    Edited by Qbiken on October 5, 2018 6:52AM
    Options
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

So if I assume correctly, you would be against medium/light armor builds being able to reach way above resistance cap and having high damage?? I´m seriously asking, not mocking you or anything :/

ya, i dont really see that but if a light or medium build can hit 35k resist that probably needs adjusting and should be looked into. Most light medium builds i see have around 10-15k resist, some medium pushes 20 but thats pretty far from 35k
    Options
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

ya, i dont really see that but if a light or medium build can hit 35k resist that probably needs adjusting and should be looked into. Most light medium builds i see have around 10-15k resist, some medium pushes 20 but thats pretty far from 35k

33k Resist on Medium is no Problem. Even more with bloodspawn.

I made a build with 32k Resist, 2800 crit resist, 3.5k wep damage, 36k stam, 1600 stam rec .

Not the highest damage but quite tanky and next patch even more with the shuffle changes. But guess what, i am not immortal.
    Options
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude, sadly they WANT us in heavy. It's the path they pushing MagSorc this patch lol :(
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Options
  • Sun7dance
    Sun7dance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Because that means there is no reason to wear middle! ;)
    Every armor should have a weak spot, but heavy doesn't. You get sustain, healing, resis, movement and damage! Even crit. you can get from some sets like ravager, 7th Legion or heavy Hunding's. Carefree package in my eyes! Where is the reason switching to middle?
    Edited by Sun7dance on October 5, 2018 7:19AM
    PS5|EU
    Options