The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Magplar PvP

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got all gold spinner's rings now but if I'm already running light armor is spinner's just over kill?

Is to much Penn even a thing?

Yeah but it’s harder too reach in pvp. Think in pve max resistance is like 18k.

Yea in pvp any heavy armor build gonna have a ton of resistence.

I also just realized I can't play with out swift I don't have it on these rings and it's absolutely brutal how slow magplar is :neutral:

So annoying. I changed my stamplar back to magplar and losing my set with swift was the worst part. And; I'm going to have to deal with it for a bit to get the transmute I need to get it back.

At least between still playing the magplar and then my stamblade who just got more annoying with 3 swift, a long with the daily reward for the worthy grant; I'll have 3 at the end of the campaign.

To stick with the annoying theme of my post; its also annoying to give my stamblade gear my stamplar was using and how much more effective it is without even counting cloak and shadow image. Just raw damage and sustain alone. Only thing templar had was cleanse which cloak compensates for, and protection, which maim from shadow image doubles over. It's why I was willing to take the templar magicka again.
    Edited by technohic on September 22, 2018 6:02PM
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    I got all gold spinner's rings now but if I'm already running light armor is spinner's just over kill?

I also just realized I can't play with out swift I don't have it on these rings and it's absolutely brutal how slow magplar is :neutral:

So annoying. I changed my stamplar back to magplar and losing my set with swift was the worst part. And; I'm going to have to deal with it for a bit to get the transmute I need to get it back.

At least between still playing the magplar and then my stamblade who just got more annoying with 3 swift, a long with the daily reward for the worthy grant; I'll have 3 at the end of the campaign.

To stick with the annoying theme of my post; its also annoying to give my stamblade gear my stamplar was using and how much more effective it is without even counting cloak and shadow image. Just raw damage and sustain alone. Only thing templar had was cleanse which cloak compensates for, and protection, which maim from shadow image doubles over. It's why I was willing to take the templar magicka again.

Run speed immovable if you can

• Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I started leveling a stamplar I'm not sure I'll ever finish it. Seems to be a very hard play style witch is probably why I see so very few good stamplars.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I started leveling a stamplar I'm not sure I'll ever finish it. Seems to be a very hard play style witch is probably why I see so very few good stamplars.

I enjoy stamplar. Can be really good at times. Just feels like the same effort on a stamblade or standen will payoff more. But that's the same boat every other class is in.
  • PickleRick
    PickleRick
    ✭✭✭

I enjoy stamplar. Can be really good at times. Just feels like the same effort on a stamblade or standen will payoff more. But that's the same boat every other class is in.

Stamplar gets some nice buffs for murkmire. Which is ridiculous since you can already sustain a 7.5k weapon damage build on it.
    Come on, flip the pickle, Morty, you're not gonna regret it. The payoff is huge. I turned myself into a pickle, Morty! Boom! Big reveal! I'm a pickle! What do you think about that? I turned myself into a pickle! W-w-what are you just staring at me for, bro, I turned myself into a pickle, Morty.
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if it's just me, but it seems like most Magplars here are using a combination of speed pots and swift. I really haven't felt the need to use either of those since I 1) use a gap closer so I have no issues being able to reach/attack my opponent and 2) use mistform which gives me rapids and escape. I also don't have a problem hitting with my sweeps unless it's laggy (and I've heard some people say it's harder to land sweep the faster you move).

Is anyone using both Mistform and a gap closer AND using speed/swift? If so, I'm curious on your reasoning.
    Watch my PvP Videos on YouTube

Azoi - Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - 1st DC NA Grand Overlord
    Hzarn - Templar - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - Grand Overlord
    ...and many more.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Maybe, but even with you a lot of cp into spell pen with just light armor passive and spinners that’s around 14k and that’s still not overpenetrating probably 80-90% of opponents. I use it in no cp myself for about 10k pen which is fine.

Just use jewelry plus weapon(s) on your offensive bar and you can use master/maelstrom/willpower on your defensive bar since extra pen doesn’t help you heal.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synozeer wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's just me, but it seems like most Magplars here are using a combination of speed pots and swift. I really haven't felt the need to use either of those since I 1) use a gap closer so I have no issues being able to reach/attack my opponent and 2) use mistform which gives me rapids and escape. I also don't have a problem hitting with my sweeps unless it's laggy (and I've heard some people say it's harder to land sweep the faster you move).

Is anyone using both Mistform and a gap closer AND using speed/swift? If so, I'm curious on your reasoning.

I use swift and gap closer the reasoning being the gap closer is a knockndown and the swift actually allows me to land sweeps easier especially against faster builds.

Alot of people run away or kite I find the gap closer plus swift really helps me stay on then and either kill them or they turn around and wreck me :lol:
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes.

Mist is reposition/emergency mitigation, toppling is for the cc and 1 swift + 22%ish sprint const reduction just to barely keep up. Even then, chasing a track star in full retreat is futile if I can't gap closer them.
  • PickleRick
    PickleRick
    ✭✭✭
    @Synozeer my issue with the gap closer is that it can be “countered” if an opponent starts their burst combo on you during the gap closer you’ve now taken X amount of damage and can’t afford to go offensive and you’re closer so it’s harder to achieve LoS. If you get stunned it does nothing but you do not get the cost refunded, meaning you’ve used a skill and gained nothing, which can be a death sentence in some situations.
    Edited by PickleRick on September 22, 2018 9:15PM
    Come on, flip the pickle, Morty, you're not gonna regret it. The payoff is huge. I turned myself into a pickle, Morty! Boom! Big reveal! I'm a pickle! What do you think about that? I turned myself into a pickle! W-w-what are you just staring at me for, bro, I turned myself into a pickle, Morty.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I have a PvP problem. I find myself coming across a lot of root builds lately. Normally I can just cleanse them but it's gotten bad, and this one BG just now, I think I came across a guy exploiting some kind of ice root (I didn't catch what it was but I wish I had). He was freezing the ground and we were getting rooted faster than I could cleanse that sh*t with ritual and I would get stammed out trying to dodge it (his name was something edgy like Zenimax Gave Me These Buffs to show how broken the skill was).

First of all, I want to know is this legit? I thought there was a 2 sec cooldown on roots. Could it be lag? An exploit?

Secondly, I'm seriously considering dropping destro for 2H so I can get FM. I've never tried a 2H on a magicka build, since it seems highly counter-intuitive damage-wise, but the mobility thing is killing me. What would you suggest for a 2H main bar build? So far I'm just in riposte/overwhelming/skoria for BGs, sometimes switching it up with shackle. Should I drop my empower skills? Are LAs even gonna do damage?
  • PickleRick
    PickleRick
    ✭✭✭
    So I have a PvP problem. I find myself coming across a lot of root builds lately. Normally I can just cleanse them but it's gotten bad, and this one BG just now, I think I came across a guy exploiting some kind of ice root (I didn't catch what it was but I wish I had). He was freezing the ground and we were getting rooted faster than I could cleanse that sh*t with ritual and I would get stammed out trying to dodge it (his name was something edgy like Zenimax Gave Me These Buffs to show how broken the skill was).

First of all, I want to know is this legit? I thought there was a 2 sec cooldown on roots. Could it be lag? An exploit?

Secondly, I'm seriously considering dropping destro for 2H so I can get FM. I've never tried a 2H on a magicka build, since it seems highly counter-intuitive damage-wise, but the mobility thing is killing me. What would you suggest for a 2H main bar build? So far I'm just in riposte/overwhelming/skoria for BGs, sometimes switching it up with shackle. Should I drop my empower skills? Are LAs even gonna do damage?

He was using Charged Ice staff with Blockade
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can basically perma root someone with an ice staff . It’s legit.

• Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can basically perma root someone with an ice staff . It’s legit.

Well I hate it.
    Edited by Datolite on September 22, 2018 9:57PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The ice build is like the mag warden build of the moment. I have several friends using Moontan’s build which includes winterborn and iceheart IIRC.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [quote="datoliteb16_ESO;c-5475629"
    Also no shame in slotting radiant. People laugh on the forums but start panicking when they encounter someone who knows how to use it.[/quote]

Radiant is really, really good as a counter to roll builds if you wait to cast it until they are at 10ish percent (so it gets the job done in 1-2 ticks). Outside of that, I find it kinda meh. That's why I think the change to radiant next patch is a nice sleeper buff--now my 2 tick radiant is actually appropriately costed.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but it seems like most Magplars here are using a combination of speed pots and swift....

I don't use speed pots, swift, or a gap closer. I do use Mistform OR Race Against Time on almost every setup.

That means some people can disengage from me at will, but I just live with that in exchange for the extra oomph I get from different pots and skills.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Swift x3, Toppling Charge, and Elusive Mist...

Swift because it's effects stack with Elusive Mist (which gives phenomenal survivability)...

Toppling Charge because (sadly) it's the best stun I have since Vamp Drain has been gutted and I don't use Destro Staff...

And Toppling does have synergy with Sweeps...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on September 22, 2018 10:45PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's why even though we have extended ritual; most of us run mist form or forward momentum. It also helps extended to remove all roots and snares gone so you cleanse more debuffs and DOTs. The worse thing I run into is at least a duo with one running DK talons or a Warden rooting while another guy, or even both guys applying bleeds and other DOTs.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's why even though we have extended ritual; most of us run mist form or forward momentum. It also helps extended to remove all roots and snares gone so you cleanse more debuffs and DOTs. The worse thing I run into is at least a duo with one running DK talons or a Warden rooting while another guy, or even both guys applying bleeds and other DOTs.

Yeah extended is a must, forget retribution especially since we got so many other anti stealth skills out there (time stop looking at u). I normally don't have so much trouble with even DK roots but still, 2H might be worth it.

@DeadlyRecluse Radiant actually has a couple of surprisingly novel uses though. Especially if it's your only ranged spell as melee magplar. Next time some squishy sniper is trying to burst you from spawn base, pop PL, degeneration and use radiant. Guaranteed a skoria proc before PL pops. Then all you have to do is re cast and 50% of the time it's enough to burn em. It also works as a magnet for directing team focus.
    Edited by Datolite on September 22, 2018 11:13PM
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah extended is a must, forget retribution especially since we got so many other anti stealth skills out there (time stop looking at u). I normally don't have so much trouble with even DK roots but still, 2H might be worth it.

@DeadlyRecluse Radiant actually has a couple of surprisingly novel uses though. Especially if it's your only ranged spell as melee magplar. Next time some squishy sniper is trying to burst you from spawn base, pop PL, degeneration and use radiant. Guaranteed a skoria proc before PL pops. Then all you have to do is re cast and 50% of the time it's enough to burn em. It also works as a magnet for directing team focus.

Yeah, there are corner cases where it can be surprising, but catching potato snipers isn't really something I worry about when solo and open world (but I'm running all ranged these days, so that same sniper is eating dark flare, javelin...and one tick of radiant) :P
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

A 2H greatsword gives the same damage buff as DW swords, plus there is the Battle Rush passive to increase stam recovery after kills. I'm using 2H/S&B and I've been very happy with it, but it's an aggressive playstyle and very high damage oriented. I'm running 11k stam and rarely run out of stam; I use heavy attacks to proc my weapon enchants. Melee is often a nasty place to be and jabs are painfully bad in lag, and when I'm out of magicka it's an unhappy place. So it's not perfect.

Destroplar is going to be able to light attack weave more reliably and play at range and sustain with ele drain and heavy attacks. There are pros and cons both ways so it's a playstyle preference for you.

If you are happier playing at range, you should drop Overwhelming for a different set.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how much penetration are you guys running, I have with ele drain at min around 14k, wondering if I could drop it a tad and bump up cp into another star maybe.. pvp this is
    Edited by Syiccal on September 23, 2018 9:51AM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Swift because it's effects stack with Elusive Mist (which gives phenomenal survivability)...

Toppling Charge because (sadly) it's the best stun I have since Vamp Drain has been gutted and I don't use Destro Staff...

in 5 more days I"ll finally be able to try out your x3 swift + mist form.. Looking forward to it also because it sounds quite good.

What do you mean vamp drain has been gutted ? Did they nerf the stun effect on it? Because if they did that would really hurt my pvp build. I despise Magicka Templar in PvP (I think they suck) and primarily use vampire abilities. Though supposedly they are getting buffs next patch (which they desperately need) so maybe they won't be so bad then.
    Edited by Jeremy on September 23, 2018 10:10AM
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

in 5 more days I"ll finally be able to try out your x3 swift + mist form.. Looking forward to it also because it sounds quite good.

What do you mean vamp drain has been gutted ? Did they nerf the stun effect on it? Because if they did that would really hurt my pvp build. I despise Magicka Templar in PvP (I think they suck) and primarily use vampire abilities. Though supposedly they are getting buffs next patch (which they desperately need) so maybe they won't be so bad then.

Vamp Drain has been directly tampered with twice and indirectly depowered due to the current state of the game:

1) Drains stun no longer goes through block (although it's damage still does); once upon a time this was not the case...

2) Drain is now dodgeable; it used to be undodgeable...

3) Because of the current Speed Meta, it can sometimes be very difficult to land as you seemingly must have a direct alignment with your target for 1 to 1 1/2 seconds to get the Drain to 'latch on'...

If a target is constantly moving, its nearly impossible to land as a result (especially in close quarters combat)...

When you combine all of the above factors, its very difficult to justify slotting...

Invigorating Drain is unslottable (IMHO) as you can't reliably land it on mobile targets (which are growing in number) and this has reduced it to an ability that has no passive benefit, does little damage, and can't be tethered to a non-NPC for the full 3 second channel to get the full Ultimate Regen this Morph offers (unless it glitches like a Nightblades Fear will sometimes do)...

Accelerating Drain is more viable (but barely so) because you get the 20 seconds of Minor Expedition if you immediately cancel out of it or if the ability is dodged...

I still use Accelerating on a few very specialized builds, but I will never slot Invigorating again unless it's combat effectiveness improves somehow...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it when we have templar theory threads.

Any argument for going channeled acceleration over race against time? 3 seconds just doesn't feel great for mobility. Of course you can recast it while trying to reposition/run away; but I feel being melee, I need to keep sweeps going to stay offensive and need to stay mobile to do so. The cast gives major protection when I need to refresh. Just kind of torn as I see drawbacks both ways.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any argument for going channeled acceleration over race against time? 3 seconds just doesn't feel great for mobility. Of course you can recast it while trying to reposition/run away; but I feel being melee, I need to keep sweeps going to stay offensive and need to stay mobile to do so. The cast gives major protection when I need to refresh. Just kind of torn as I see drawbacks both ways.

I don’t like the cast time, it adds more clunkiness to an already clunky class. Better off building enough magic to run speed pots.

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t like the cast time, it adds more clunkiness to an already clunky class. Better off building enough magic to run speed pots.

Yeah its primary use is for the buff. If I go speed pot; I'd probably remove it in favor of entropy, as I run spell power pots now.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I used channeled acceleration briefly--it's better if you aren't using the skill for your mobility, but just want the damage buff.

It doesn't really work as an alternative mobility skill to mistform (like Race does) but if you are okay with that I'd actually say it's a better skill than Race for just buffing.

The channel isn't a big deal if you time the refresh with your CC immunity and have a HoT running. It's also great as a way to prebuff--a lot of fights don't even need it reapplied before they end.

I haven't found the 3 second limit to be terrible--I never sprint without casting Channeled, and I rarely cast Channeled except for when I'm looking to sprint. In general, I'm only sprinting 1-2 seconds, maybe squeezing in a dodge roll, then a purge, a heal, and either sprinting again or back on the offensive.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

Vamp Drain has been directly tampered with twice and indirectly depowered due to the current state of the game:

1) Drains stun no longer goes through block (although it's damage still does); once upon a time this was not the case...

2) Drain is now dodgeable; it used to be undodgeable...

3) Because of the current Speed Meta, it can sometimes be very difficult to land as you seemingly must have a direct alignment with your target for 1 to 1 1/2 seconds to get the Drain to 'latch on'...

If a target is constantly moving, its nearly impossible to land as a result (especially in close quarters combat)...

When you combine all of the above factors, its very difficult to justify slotting...

Invigorating Drain is unslottable (IMHO) as you can't reliably land it on mobile targets (which are growing in number) and this has reduced it to an ability that has no passive benefit, does little damage, and can't be tethered to a non-NPC for the full 3 second channel to get the full Ultimate Regen this Morph offers (unless it glitches like a Nightblades Fear will sometimes do)...

Accelerating Drain is more viable (but barely so) because you get the 20 seconds of Minor Expedition if you immediately cancel out of it or if the ability is dodged...

I still use Accelerating on a few very specialized builds, but I will never slot Invigorating again unless it's combat effectiveness improves somehow...

Accelerating drain is pretty good tho especially if you have 3 swift with major and minor expidition.

The stun is all buggy 2 somepeople seem to get stuck in that head grabbing animation :lol:
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confirmed, spring load infusion works with mag bone pirate.
    Dueled a magden on that spec and very fluid combat compared to live.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual