The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tanks in Battlegrounds Discussion Thread

• Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Chaosball with a Templar and a Warden is fun. Not. You don't even sniff at a kill while enchanted forest is up and the rest of the time they just sit blocking in their heals. I think the damage of the chaos ball should be HP related and increase when you're blocking for more than 2 seconds too, with a decreasing debuff once you let go off block.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    Definitely not required. If you do run a tank though, Guard is a must as well as enough group utility as your class/build can muster (look for things that don't scale with stats; proc sets, utility ultimates/skills).

I've found 1 person who doesn't agree with tanks in BG's, but this reaction just demonstrates their usefulness.
    lU7goe5.png

EDIT: Another one! The tank haters are coming out tonight. (my retorts are not very creative, I know)
    nlHLW1p.png

I love getting those, its delicious, need those salty tears!
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Definitely not required. If you do run a tank though, Guard is a must as well as enough group utility as your class/build can muster (look for things that don't scale with stats; proc sets, utility ultimates/skills).

I've found 1 person who doesn't agree with tanks in BG's, but this reaction just demonstrates their usefulness.
    lU7goe5.png

EDIT: Another one! The tank haters are coming out tonight. (my retorts are not very creative, I know)
    nlHLW1p.png

Your build is amazing, it allows us to do things like this:

fyimhGw.jpg

MXwr2Xd.png

;)

(There was a random player we picked up after the three of us queued but he left before the end)
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gr, I regret what I said.

@RouDeR 's build just irks me, I'm not even entirely sure why so much.

If it works, it works, and that's all that matters
    Edited by Waffennacht on August 25, 2017 6:16PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aussies don't count as trash talkers. That's just how they say "hi"

But if you're going tank guard bot, why not make it a magplar? I just don't see the purpose of tanks in BGs. I'm not saying that they can't be effective, I'm just saying that there are many ways to accomplish the same thing with even more group utility and overall efficiency. I've yet to see a good group in the BGs run a true Stam tank. There are a few Mag DKs and magplars that are very tanky, but those aren't tanks in the traditional sense of the word.

Maybe one day I'll run across a group that's running a tank effectively in BGs. But that day hasn't happened yet. At least not on PC NA.
    Edited by Thogard on August 25, 2017 7:50PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lU7goe5.png

nlHLW1p.png

Just fought your premade with my premade twice in deathmatch. You guys are really really really hard to kill. But you dont do enough damage to beat us in deathmatch. I worry about chaosball - you seem suited for it.

Hope to see what its like when you get all 4 of your guys on.

Edited by Thogard on August 26, 2017 3:46AM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

lU7goe5.png

nlHLW1p.png

Just fought your premade with my premade twice in deathmatch. You guys are really really really hard to kill. But you dont do enough damage to beat us in deathmatch. I worry about chaosball - you seem suited for it.

That was Tangril's first 2 games of BG's ever, very rough introduction, haha. (was just us 2, also).

DM is naturally a tanks worst game type, especially when not in a pre-made. So many PuG teammates run away from me when I have Guard on them and are trying to heal the AND they run out of my Veil. Even with a pre-made I usually don't Gaurd the MagSorc (unless it's Jaindoh) cause streak jut makes it a pain to keep up, haha.

Edited by Taylor_MB on August 26, 2017 2:04PM
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lU7goe5.png

nlHLW1p.png

That was Tangril's first 2 games of BG's ever, very rough introduction, haha. (was just us 2, also).

DM is naturally a tanks worst game type, especially when not in a pre-made. So many PuG teammates run away from me when I have Guard on them and are trying to heal the AND they run out of my Veil. Even with a pre-made I usually don't Gaurd the MagSorc (unless it's Jaindoh) cause streak jut makes it a pain to keep up, haha.

Ah I wouldn't have guessed it was his first one from the way he was playing. You guys were definitely in your groove!

I think the score would've been a lot closer if the third team of 2+ nightblades hadn't been stealing your kills.

Good fights!
    Edited by Thogard on August 26, 2017 4:09PM

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lU7goe5.png

nlHLW1p.png

Ah I wouldn't have guessed it was his first one from the way he was playing. You guys were definitely in your groove!

I think the score would've been a lot closer if the third team of 2+ nightblades hadn't been stealing your kills.

Good fights!

I feel that way about every BG... GD kill thieves...
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • elijafire
    elijafire
    ✭✭✭
    Tylos001 wrote: »
    I'm interested to know what are everyone's thought on a tanks place in battlegrounds! Required or not?

Short answer, NO. If you are a dedicated raid tank then you need to respec and regear your entire toon before you set foot in AvA or you will be totally useless. You aren't any harder to kill than an average player and you do zero damage.

My suggestion is roll an alt that is dedicated to PvP.

Eli
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    elijafire wrote: »
    Tylos001 wrote: »
    I'm interested to know what are everyone's thought on a tanks place in battlegrounds! Required or not?

Short answer, NO. If you are a dedicated raid tank then you need to respec and regear your entire toon before you set foot in AvA or you will be totally useless. You aren't any harder to kill than an average player and you do zero damage.

My suggestion is roll an alt that is dedicated to PvP.

Eli

And my suggestion is to not necro year old threads.