Please LOSE the Commercial

• andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kuwhar wrote: »
    Its most likely temporary as summerset just dropped.

What i dont get is, people will click their mouse and keyboard literally a thousand times per log in, but toss one extra click in there and people go nuts.

I get it, you think its bad taste. But believe it or not, not everyone gets their news from the forums.

When i came back a couple weeks ago, i had no clue Summerset was soon to be released. Guess where i found out?

Brilliant, enjoy the marketing that seems to be perfect for you.

What about those that bought Summerset as well as Morrowind? Do you think we like to see that those two Chapters are currently available for purchase?
  • GarnetFire17
    GarnetFire17
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once a day is perfectly fine with me. Can't wait. It only really annoys me since I play 5-10 characters a day switch frequently.
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just making sure everyone saw this post from last week...
    Thanks so much for providing your feedback on the new announcement window. It’s worth mentioning this is only partially populated, and once the Daily Login Rewards is activated next week, this will be a place where you can also easily see which rewards are available to claim in addition to what’s currently being displayed. It will also provide some additional real estate to showcase in-game events when they’re active, and featured Crown Store items so you don’t miss out.

That said, we agree that this window is appearing too frequently and are working on making some adjustments. The plan is to have it only display once per account either when we’ve changed the featured products, or when a daily reward is available for you to claim. This work is in progress and will be implemented in a future incremental patch.

Yes, @ZOS_GinaBruno . We did see it. Unfortunately, now I see more advertisements flowing through my gaming experience rather than less. Now we have an advert for daily rewards in the log out, there is a noise and pop up about the daily rewards, the huge advert screen while logging onto all 8 toons is still there, etc. I'm not really sure your friends over in marketing got the message. I have an few ideas for this though … and btw, I work in retail so I'm slightly familiar with customers and what works. I'm not an expert nor do I play one on TV, but here is what I would suggest:

1. Customers are happiest when great customer service is exemplified. When complaints are listened to and actually acted upon, customers get the sense that the company really cares about what they want. The slower you move to satisfy a customer, the faster the customer will run out of your door, taking your paycheck with them.
    2. Customer will pay higher prices for a lower end product when they have the sense that the company is all about the customers interests. It is so easy for me to upsell a customer when I know and can convince them that the better product is absolutely worth the higher cost. No adverts are needed then. My customers will come back again and again because I was giving them great information without ramming it down their throats.
    3. Customers are happiest with a company when the company demonstrates a sense of hospitality in every interaction with the customer. Customers will return again and again, gladly spending more money than they intended, if true hospitality makes them feel like they matter rather than the money they spend. Right now, it seems the money you want us to spend is actually more important to ZOS than the person who is spending it. THAT IS ALWAYS A BIG TURN OFF.
    4. These ads are trying to bank on the IMPULSE BUYER rather than the returning customer. The problem with focusing on the impulse buyer is that generally and eventually, the impulse buyer wakes up and realizes they've wasted their cash on something they really didn't want in the first place. ON THE OTHER HAND, the returning customer that a company caters to will become loyal to that company, spend more money over longer periods of time, and give you free advertisement to all of their friends because of the awesome service you give and great product they enjoy.

All of that being said, the ads are still here and people are still angry about it. I'm not angry really, but I think you can see why it doesn't make any sense that marketing has persisted in this and have even added MORE.
    Edited by Earthewen on June 6, 2018 12:29PM
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for providing your feedback on the new announcement window. It’s worth mentioning this is only partially populated, and once the Daily Login Rewards is activated next week, this will be a place where you can also easily see which rewards are available to claim in addition to what’s currently being displayed. It will also provide some additional real estate to showcase in-game events when they’re active, and featured Crown Store items so you don’t miss out.

That said, we agree that this window is appearing too frequently and are working on making some adjustments. The plan is to have it only display once per account either when we’ve changed the featured products, or when a daily reward is available for you to claim. This work is in progress and will be implemented in a future incremental patch.

that's ok, No Thank You addon will stay installed and active, problem solved.

I downloaded no thank you through minion but I cannot find how to set it to turn off that ad. Anyone able to clue me in?
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earthewen wrote: »

Yes, @ZOS_GinaBruno . We did see it. Unfortunately, now I see more advertisements flowing through my gaming experience rather than less. Now we have an advert for daily rewards in the log out, there is a noise and pop up about the daily rewards, the huge advert screen while logging onto all 8 toons is still there, etc. I'm not really sure your friends over in marketing got the message. I have an few ideas for this though … and btw, I work in retail so I'm slightly familiar with customers and what works. I'm not an expert nor do I play one on TV, but here is what I would suggest:

1. Customers are happiest when great customer service is exemplified. When complaints are listened to and actually acted upon, customers get the sense that the company really cares about what they want. The slower you move to satisfy a customer, the faster the customer will run out of your door, taking your paycheck with them.
    2. Customer will pay higher prices for a lower end product when they have the sense that the company is all about the customers interests. It is so easy for me to upsell a customer when I know and can convince them that the better product is absolutely worth the higher cost. No adverts are needed then. My customers will come back again and again because I was giving them great information without ramming it down their throats.
    3. Customers are happiest with a company when the company demonstrates a sense of hospitality in every interaction with the customer. Customers will return again and again, gladly spending more money than they intended, if true hospitality makes them feel like they matter rather than the money they spend. Right now, it seems the money you want us to spend is actually more important to ZOS than the person who is spending it. THAT IS ALWAYS A BIG TURN OFF.
    4. These ads are trying to bank on the IMPULSE BUYER rather than the returning customer. The problem with focusing on the impulse buyer is that generally and eventually, the impulse buyer wakes up and realizes they've wasted their cash on something they really didn't want in the first place. ON THE OTHER HAND, the returning customer that a company caters to will become loyal to that company, spend more money over longer periods of time, and give you free advertisement to all of their friends because of the awesome service you give and great product they enjoy.

All of that being said, the ads are still here and people are still angry about it. I'm not angry really, but I think you can see why it doesn't make any sense that marketing has persisted in this and have even added MORE.

This is spot on. Unfortunately, their decision to spend a big chunk of their operational budget on a Monetization Designer means that they won't take any of this feedback to heart, and will continue to use overt methods to crank pennies from their customers, without care to the way it cheapens the product.
    Earthewen wrote: »

that's ok, No Thank You addon will stay installed and active, problem solved.

I downloaded no thank you through minion but I cannot find how to set it to turn off that ad. Anyone able to clue me in?

Its in the settings, labeled "Hide Market Announcement" bot don't turn it on right now. It's been broken by the new login rewards, and will flood with his errors. Wait until it gets updated.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Earthewen
    No Thank You (continued)
    is what you need, then (atm) you need to check the comments section on it's ESOUI page to get a fix for the UI errors the uncollected reward causes
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • omegatay_ESO
    omegatay_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZoS why don't you do it like BDO does it? You see the daily rewards box when you log on, that's it. Only time you see a store advertisement is once a week when something new is being offered.
    This in your face every logon, every character every time is just wrong. Period.
  • Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Earthewen wrote: »

Did you download the correct one? There's several versions on ESOUI, though this version is the one that's being kept up to date.
    eso64-2018-06-06-13-53-26.png
    Having that option turned on should block them, though most things are blocked by default. (If I'm wrong then someone please correct me.)

If you get a bunch of LUI errors from the addon, follow these steps:
    • Download Circonians LibNotifications from here. Direct download, don't use Minion.
    • Open the LibNotifications archive & go to the archive's \LibNotification\LibNotification\ folder.
    • Extract LibNotification.lua into your ...\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns\NoThankYou\Libs\LibNotification\ folder, overwriting the existing file.
    • ReloadUI if you are in game, or fire up ESO & see if the errors persist.
    Edited by Numerikuu on June 6, 2018 1:01PM
  • Kuwhar
    Kuwhar
    ✭✭✭✭
    andreasv wrote: »
    Its most likely temporary as summerset just dropped.

What i dont get is, people will click their mouse and keyboard literally a thousand times per log in, but toss one extra click in there and people go nuts.

I get it, you think its bad taste. But believe it or not, not everyone gets their news from the forums.

When i came back a couple weeks ago, i had no clue Summerset was soon to be released. Guess where i found out?

Brilliant, enjoy the marketing that seems to be perfect for you.

What about those that bought Summerset as well as Morrowind? Do you think we like to see that those two Chapters are currently available for purchase?

Well, yeah, everyone gets the same screen which can be toggled through to see other advertisements.

Did you want personalized advertisements? Because that didnt seem to be a popular idea with the whole redshell fiasco.

You literally have to click once and it closes.

Again, you click a thousand times each login and you all are worried about a single button press for an add you see for less than a second. (Probably a couple miliseconds)

Imagine if they had 30 second adds like youtube that you couldnt click through.

• Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No matter what the decision making process behind this was- it was wrong. The game is already unstable and difficult to play without needed fixes that are clearly negatively impacting the population. Playability needs to be before marketing if you are looking to longevity at all. If you are not, might I suggest banking on the fly by night one time purchases will dry up rather quickly when you cant log in to use what you sell players. Might want to MAKE time to have this discussion as we are already pushed to the limits of LUI errors and the servers CANT handle more messaging.
  • woufff
    woufff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Again, you click a thousand times each login and you all are worried about a single button press for an add you see for less than a second. (Probably a couple miliseconds)

Imagine if they had 30 second adds like youtube that you couldnt click through.

First sentence above is simply not true as you can click as much as you want, it will not go before the loading is completed (2-3 seconds in my case).

Second sentence is a very stupid remark if I might say so, this would simply mean they would loose 90% of their playerbase, which reaonable being would then still pay 200+ Dollars/Euros a year for such idioties?

There are enough good MMO's out in the wild and they're disputing each others playerbase, one should better not forget - the MMO begins to turn crap? Well, good-bye then, I'm looking elsewhere B)
    PC/EU&NA - Redguard Nightblade - Grand Master Crafter - Explorer of Tamriel & Skyrim - Playing Starfield (and awaiting TES VI ^^)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heaven13 wrote: »

Yes Gina, we did see that. However, I think that is PC players were hoping "future incremental patch" meant this week's. Not some random Soon™ vague patch that has no expected delivery date.

Additionally, the fact that you say "once per account either when featured product changes or when a daily award is available" means it's still gonna show every day, possibly multiple times a day if you don't claim the daily reward on the first character. Since daily rewards ALSO get a text notification, a log out notification, AND are accessed through crown store...is it really necessary they be tied to this ad at all?

Separate daily rewards from crown store ad and only show the ad when something is new or on a countdown timer (seasonal quests, expiring items, new items). Would be much, much more player friendly.
    Have to agree with this. Given that the Daily Reward also pings a non-dismissable notification anyway , there was no benefit at all in changing the Announcement window from what it was before.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    heaven13 wrote: »

Yes Gina, we did see that. However, I think that is PC players were hoping "future incremental patch" meant this week's. Not some random Soon™ vague patch that has no expected delivery date.

Additionally, the fact that you say "once per account either when featured product changes or when a daily award is available" means it's still gonna show every day, possibly multiple times a day if you don't claim the daily reward on the first character. Since daily rewards ALSO get a text notification, a log out notification, AND are accessed through crown store...is it really necessary they be tied to this ad at all?

Separate daily rewards from crown store ad and only show the ad when something is new or on a countdown timer (seasonal quests, expiring items, new items). Would be much, much more player friendly.
    Have to agree with this. Given that the Daily Reward also pings a non-dismissable notification anyway , there was no benefit at all in changing the Announcement window from what it was before.

It's absolutely not needed due to the daily reward. Saying that it is, just makes that sound like a manipulative convenient excuse for spamming the add much more often.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Did you want personalized advertisements? Because that didnt seem to be a popular idea with the whole redshell fiasco.

I am not fine with installing third-party software to spy on activities that are possibly unrelated to in-game activities, or connecting data from ESO to other things, or sharing data with other parties.

But this is information they already have. Information I want them to have because, you know, I effing bought their Summerset chapter. Even with the smaller old ad screen, I was genuinely baffled why I got prominent ads for stuff I obviously already had, like getting sold Morrowind while loading into Vvardenfell. The full-screen ad is just the reason to complain about it - if I have to bear with the monstrosity, at least make it useful.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once a day is perfectly fine with me. Can't wait. It only really annoys me since I play 5-10 characters a day switch frequently.

Once per day is the best we are going to get, if we are lucky, but it is still once too many.

There are so many ways to get the daily reward for logging in, and everyone gets notified, that they don't really need to have the dialog there to display it. The dialog is there because they want to push the Crown Store in our face a lot more than they have been. They couldn't go out saying "we thought you might want a more obvious, less easily overlooked, Crown Store advertisement". Right?

Edited by Elsonso on June 6, 2018 8:02PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP gets a new single thread record of agrees . Congratulations !

Moderator being the Z Name in thread gets new record for disappointment .

Need a ZoS Name to comment on removing this eye soar .

Watch those flying eyes...
  • halfrunt
    halfrunt
    ✭✭
    agreed this dam thing is annoying I quit watching btv altogather due to to many commercials I can qoit this dam game to
  • ookami007
    ookami007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This obnoxious and unwanted advertisement was the brain child of some talentless and clueless marketing "guru" who doesn't understand the first thing about marketing.

They are the type of idiot who would place a billboard IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD so it gets more exposure, not comprehending in the least that it obstructs traffic.
  • pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ookami007 wrote: »
    This obnoxious and unwanted advertisement was the brain child of some talentless and clueless marketing "guru" who doesn't understand the first thing about marketing.

They are the type of idiot who would place a billboard IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD so it gets more exposure, not comprehending in the least that it obstructs traffic.

I posted before "what idiot came up with this idea". Like lets make the add 5 times bigger and show it everytime they log in. Thats got to work right. Harass people to the Crown Store and $$$ PROFIT.

Its the dumbest idea only some noob marketer could come up with.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They do realise that under GDPR this sort of thing has to to opt-in rather than opt out ? And it can't be covered by simply clicking 'I agree' on the Terms and Conditions ?
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • GarnetFire17
    GarnetFire17
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rawkan wrote: »
    First world problems

I know right. May find this shocking but some people actually like the crown store ads. Can't deal with 1 ad a day? That's pretty weak.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First world problems

I know right. May find this shocking but some people actually like the crown store ads. Can't deal with 1 ad a day? That's pretty weak.

Sorry but i'll take no adds especially after the fact they purposely installed spyware without letting us know or sign for it.
  • idrankyourbeer
    idrankyourbeer
    ✭✭✭
    First world problems

i get 10 ads in 3 minutes just logging in to collect off my hirelings. would be 15 if i maxed my character slots

1 ad a day per user account would be fine. 10 ads in 3 or 4 minutes is a little over the top.

i actually get even more than that now that my eso+ is up and i have to switch around between mule accounts.the 15th or 16th ad isnt going to make me change my mind about blowing my money on outrageously overpriced crown store items or gamble my money away on tri restoration potions and soul gems in these wonderful loot box scams any more than the 1st or 2nd time it throws it in my face. if anything, it just makes me want to avoid the crown store even more or just walk away from the game altogether if they keep this up

stand by for 30 second crown store commercials during loading screens featuring all the mounts and homes you can buy for the price of a full price AAA game on Steam with alot more content than just a brand new paintjob on a Guar, or advertising loot boxes containing whatever fancy exclusive items that your can waste thousands of dollars on and might not even get .
    Edited by idrankyourbeer on June 6, 2018 11:28PM
  • idrankyourbeer
    idrankyourbeer
    ✭✭✭
    the no, thank you addon was working fine for me up until the last patch. now seemingly it breaks my game. and all i enabled was disable marketing announcements. go figure.

• generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    was sload on the load screen? i bet it was.
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the no, thank you addon was working fine for me up until the last patch. now seemingly it breaks my game. and all i enabled was disable marketing announcements. go figure.

Let's see if we can follow the timeline for this one:
    1. ZOS introduces large, intrusive continuously recurring advertisement.
    2. Community posts about how much they hate it but can use add-ons to circumvent it.
    3. ZOS says that they are looking into changing the behavior in the future.
    4. ZOS releases a patch that contains no change in behaviour.
    5. A person notices that after the patch the add-on that removed the marketing message now breaks the game.

Dear Azura but I hope that this is just an example of a massive coincidence.

On the other hand if ZOS amends the TOS to include "Add-ons that modify or exlude marketing information" as a bannable offense then I guess we'll know.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The ad is really annoying. It should be limited to once a day per account. that i guess i could live with but you get it even relogging or changing characters which makes it extremely annoying.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i get 10 ads in 3 minutes just logging in to collect off my hirelings. would be 15 if i maxed my character slots

1 ad a day per user account would be fine. 10 ads in 3 or 4 minutes is a little over the top

You have it easy. Try logging two toons in and out alternately 30 times each (or more) to loot containers. That's 60+ times having to close huge, laggy ads before I can even see if I need to draw my weapons..... not to mention seeing the camping out popup that reminds me I have only 22 hours and 37 minutes before I can collect my next reward, which they reminded me 2 minutes earlier was only 22 hours and 39 minutes away. So basically, I have the honor and privilege of being reminded that I need to collect my delicious crown meal tomorrow ONE HUNDRED and TWENTY times per hour. Thanks, ZOS, for reminding me how stupid I must be that I am going to forget to claim my fabulous reward, and oh, I must be sure to purchase Summerset YET AGAIN, but every time I go to purchase it it's grayed out and I can't buy a second copy of it for some reason. Oh, but wait... I can buy Morrowind again.... but this time with crowns! Never mind that I've been playing it for a year, I MUST buy it, Zenimax keeps telling me to! Wait, that doesn't work either.... dang, I must be the stupidest player ever! What am I doing wrong here, folks? Maybe I'll just go play Skyrim in peace again.

Edited by Jaraal on June 7, 2018 4:32AM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/417542/good-grief#latest
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wheeeeee any time I get a chance to pop in and say this in a thread, I do!!

The more you push me towards your crown store, the less I'm going to spend. Stopped purchasing crowns from yall cuz of your horribly sudden push to have more content on your crown store than in game. I use to spend a couple hundred a crown crate "season" on crates + goodies on your store. Haven't bought crowns in a few months, don't think I ever will anymore due to your obsession with having a store disguised as an MMO. May only be one person that you don't even notice but my foot's been put down. GG.

BTW, don't care if someone pops in and says they spend thousands a month on the store. Don't care, good for you, I'm done buying crowns though.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd