The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO: Morrowind Size Comparison (Now With A Summerset Update)

• psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip I'm just parodying how ridiculously obsessed some people have become over the physical size of the map.

Also, do you have a source for the quote that Summerset is the biggest zone? I would like to see the context. Is it biggest as in scale? Or biggest as in volume of content within?

"For the first time since The Elder Scrolls: Arena, you can visit the Isle of Summerset and explore an all-new land packed full of exciting adventures and stunning locations in a zone even larger than the one found in The Elder Scrolls Online's last Chapter, Morrowind."

As for your question about what "larger" means, this is sort of the problem. It seems ZOS was being deliberately misleading, giving us a zone that might be technically larger, but without giving us access to large chunks of the space, making it significantly smaller.

Now, you'll probably respond by saying "Well they just said it was larger! They didn't say anything about explorable space". Well, this is the definition of a misleading statement. What's the point, what's even the draw of a "big" zone if you can't access the places that make it bigger? There was no reason to advertise the size unless they wanted us to believe it would affect us in some way.

It's a lie by omission.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 28, 2018 3:05PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    @psychotrip I'm just parodying how ridiculously obsessed some people have become over the physical size of the map.

Also, do you have a source for the quote that Summerset is the biggest zone? I would like to see the context. Is it biggest as in scale? Or biggest as in volume of content within?

"For the first time since The Elder Scrolls: Arena, you can visit the Isle of Summerset and explore an all-new land packed full of exciting adventures and stunning locations in a zone even larger than the one found in The Elder Scrolls Online's last Chapter, Morrowind."

As for your question about what "larger" means, this is sort of the problem. It seems ZOS was being deliberately misleading, giving us a zone that might be technically larger, but without giving us access to large chunks of the space, making it significantly smaller.

Now, you'll probably respond by saying "Well they just said it was larger! They didn't say anything about explorable space". Well, this is the definition of a misleading statement. What's the point, what's even the draw of a "big" zone if you can't access the places that make it bigger? There was no reason to advertise the size unless they wanted us to believe it would affect us in some way.

It's a lie by omission.

It has more explorable space, previous posts confirmed it. It has more and bigger quests. It has bigger public dungeons and delves. It is larger than Morrowind in every aspect except it has 2 skilllines and not 3. You are fake news.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    I don't doubt the math, but can you tell me how you created the to-scale map? Because it doesn't quite compare to the one I tried to make, and it might explain why there's so much disbelief here.
    Indeed, I'm wondering where a lot of people who post modified maps here get their raw maps from, so for disclosure mine are from esomap.uesp.net - the maps are only available in cut-up form, so I created the composites out of 16+ images.

This is a concern I share, and that is why I immediately discard any information coming from out-of-game sources, like UESP. The maps on UESP may not be scaled properly to start with, introducing error right from the start.

The only way to make sure that the map is scaled properly is to use the in-game map and actually do the work to validate the scale of the map. Building on numbers generated by someone else is also a source of error.

Measuring time and distance traveled is the only method I even begin to trust in order to do any of this. Anyone basing size comparisons on anything other than distance traveled over time is not even worth reading. Note that this does not include the "follow the yellow brick road" methodology. (Edit: measuring time traveled along the "red line")

I tend to agree.

I already know that Summerset is larger than Wrothgar, which makes it larger than Auridon. It is really close in size to Vvardenfell, but I could not tell you which was larger. Vvardenfell feels larger, due to terrain, but Summerset may actually be larger, just easier to get around in.

It is interesting to watch people adjust maps, but this is not going to change anything.
    Edited by Elsonso on April 28, 2018 3:52PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their next chapter will be advertised as "The biggest zone yet!!!" ... and 90% of it will be mountains. ;)
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Their next chapter will be advertised as "The biggest zone yet!!!" ... and 90% of it will be mountains. ;)

Sadly true...
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't doubt the math, but can you tell me how you created the to-scale map? Because it doesn't quite compare to the one I tried to make, and it might explain why there's so much disbelief here.
    Indeed, I'm wondering where a lot of people who post modified maps here get their raw maps from, so for disclosure mine are from esomap.uesp.net - the maps are only available in cut-up form, so I created the composites out of 16+ images.

This is a concern I share, and that is why I immediately discard any information coming from out-of-game sources, like UESP. The maps on UESP may not be scaled properly to start with, introducing error right from the start.

The only way to make sure that the map is scaled properly is to use the in-game map and actually do the work to validate the scale of the map. Building on numbers generated by someone else is also a source of error.

I'm inclined to distrust in-game screenshots of the map more than uesp, as you can fiddle with the zoom factor too easily. The best way to get the maps would be to extract them directly from the game files, which I don't know how to do but I know the folks at uesp can. Regardless, in the case of Summerset and Auridon, the uesp maps and in-game maps when zoomed out completely are identical. I'm not as confident about the comparison between Summerset and Vvardenfell, though.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radinyn wrote: »

It's a lie by omission.

It has more explorable space, previous posts confirmed it. It has more and bigger quests. It has bigger public dungeons and delves. It is larger than Morrowind in every aspect except it has 2 skilllines and not 3. You are fake news.

Way to dismantle your own credibility with a tired meme.

Every post that's "confirmed" this has been immediately challenged. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, because I'm willing to admit my lack of expertise in this area. But throughout this thread a large portion of people have been using various methods to express and explain the idea that Summerset is not the biggest zone ever released by ZOS. Even the posts you seem to be referencing only "prove" that it's bigger than Auridon: a relatively small vanilla starter zone. Nothing has been confirmed.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the revised Vvardenfell comparison, I filled in all explorable areas on both islands as genorously as possible. That means inlcuding quests, delves, public dungeons and trials, which is considerable in the case of Summerset (Wasten Coraldale, Archon's Grove, King's Haven Pass, Sunhold, Karnwasten, and Cloudrest). Also note that there are some areas in the Molag Amur region which are not traversable.

Make of this what you will. I find the area "comparable".
    mKxJYFZ.jpg
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the revised Vvardenfell comparison, I filled in all explorable areas on both islands as genorously as possible. That means inlcuding quests, delves, public dungeons and trials, which is considerable in the case of Summerset (Wasten Coraldale, Archon's Grove, King's Haven Pass, Sunhold, Karnwasten, and Cloudrest). Also note that there are some areas in the Molag Amur region which are not traversable.

Make of this what you will. I find the area "comparable".
    mKxJYFZ.jpg

*** the mountains.....
  • XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summerset 176837 pixels
    xK9Jkiw.png
    Vvardenfell 229226 pixels
    lAuEVdY.png
    According to this pictures, explorable part of Vvardenfell almost 30% bigger then explorable part of Summerset or in other words explorable part of Summerset almost 23% smaller then explorable part of Vvardenfell.
    Edited by XomRhoK on April 28, 2018 6:48PM
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭
    @XomRhoK this picture is wrong because its without scalin
  • XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @XomRhoK this picture is wrong because its without scalin
    Based on the revised Vvardenfell comparison
    I think @Faulgor scaled it with same method how he scaled Summerset and Auridon maps.
    Edited by XomRhoK on April 28, 2018 6:57PM
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel like the moutain to the south should just be open fields and have maybe1 quest I dont know why it needs to be there like it is rn. Its so out of place.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like the moutain to the south should just be open fields and have maybe1 quest I dont know why it needs to be there like it is rn. Its so out of place.

Less work for the devs...
    Less content for the players...
    more money saved for the devs...
    more time and more money for the devs that can be used to make more Crown Store stuff...

I don't think these devs care about Quality of content anymore to be honest...
    Edited by Zordrage on April 28, 2018 7:36PM
  • Charliff1966
    Charliff1966
    ✭✭✭
    Then dont buy it if its not worth your money.
  • XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the southen mountains have Colossal Aldmeri Grotto house under it, i think it's south-east mountain, can't find the video where some one open map in this house.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then dont buy it if its not worth your money.

they locked jewel crafting behind it...... a pretty major new mechanic in my opinion...

so its not that easy to not just buy it lol the chapter itself does not worth more then a small DLC in my opinion as a whole... but your forced to buy it with chapter Price if you don't want to be locked out of Entire gameplay mechanics....
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me at least, is not about the size or the quality of content, is about believability (is that even a word?), and by that I mean the fact that Summerset Isles was supposed to be one thing in the lore, and many of us (I believe, at least) expected it to be the seat of a full TES game someday.

But now ESO is setting it the base for future lore and if the isle is tiny (and I mean, it IS tiny, comparing it with any TES single player games) that means that we will never get a proper version of it, nor that the old lore is valid... and boom, years of expectation and lore are thrown away, just for the sake of greedyness/quick buck return.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leeux wrote: »
    For me at least, is not about the size or the quality of content, is about believability (is that even a word?), and by that I mean the fact that Summerset Isles was supposed to be one thing in the lore, and many of us (I believe, at least) expected it to be the seat of a full TES game someday.

But now ESO is setting it the base for future lore and if the isle is tiny (and I mean, it IS tiny, comparing it with any TES single player games) that means that we will never get a proper version of it, nor that the old lore is valid... and boom, years of expectation and lore are thrown away, just for the sake of greedyness/quick buck return.

It's not tiny. It's still the second biggest zone in the game according to the pixel counting post above.

You have to understand this game was built using the Hero Engine. This engine is a piece of crap that only one other game in the entire world uses (SWTOR). The devs are extremely limited in what they can do with it. You're never going to get zones as big and as detailed as those found in single player games in an MMO, especially not in old MMOs running on crappy engines.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 28, 2018 11:38PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm inclined to distrust in-game screenshots of the map more than uesp, as you can fiddle with the zoom factor too easily. The best way to get the maps would be to extract them directly from the game files, which I don't know how to do but I know the folks at uesp can. Regardless, in the case of Summerset and Auridon, the uesp maps and in-game maps when zoomed out completely are identical. I'm not as confident about the comparison between Summerset and Vvardenfell, though.

The UESP maps are nice, but nothing is more accurate and easy to calibrate than the in-game map.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not tiny. It's still the second biggest zone in the game according to the pixel counting post above.

You have to understand this game was built using the Hero Engine. This engine is a piece of crap that only one other game in the entire world uses (SWTOR). The devs are extremely limited in what they can do with it. You're never going to get zones as big and as detailed as those found in single player games in an MMO, especially not in old MMOs running on crappy engines.

Wait, so it's only the second biggest now? ZOS said it would be the biggest. So they lied, right? And we're still not accounting for explorable space, which would make their statement even more misleading.

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, so it's only the second biggest now? ZOS said it would be the biggest. So they lied, right? And we're still not accounting for explorable space, which would make their statement even more misleading.

The post above accounted for explorable space only: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5092400/#Comment_5092400

Not sure how you missed the bright green neon colours...

The comparison also doesn't take Artaeum into account.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 29, 2018 12:51AM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The post above accounted for explorable space only: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5092400/#Comment_5092400

Not sure how you missed the bright green neon colours...

The comparison also doesn't take Artaeum into account.

I missed it because clicking on my notifications brought me directly to your post. To me, the explorable space looks about the same. So, not good, but not as bad as some feared.

So, we're still saying Summerset is smaller, right? Because, again, that would mean ZOS lied.

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends as well if you just count the over-world "outdoor" content or the whole explorable area including "indoor" areas. The over-world feels small IMO, but I did not look at any of the other content, because I want to play that in the finished product and not in a beta. Basically what I mean with it is, that one would have to compare enjoyable playable content, which is hard and not the same for everyone. Like the industry says a game has like 50 hours of gameplay - and I play it for years and have not even seen all - this is all so relative - would be interesting to know, how ZOS is measuring it - maybe in man-hours required to create the content?
    Edited by Lysette on April 29, 2018 1:23AM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to add something that people in this thread have overlooked. The area I have marked in red, is actually the Aldmeri Grotto home and is accessible. The Grotto is inside the mountain :) Not defending the general direction of this thread though. I am still convinced, that we have been lied to and that Summerset is not bigger than Vvardenfell in any way.

31416906_1514836991972046_3075641821720739840_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=400dac158f647c98e6a90137a27d9531&oe=5B50F4CD
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I meant relatively speaking w.r.t. full sized TES games... compared with those is kinda small. What I mean is, even if you extrapolate a lot, you would be hard pressed to make a full TES single player located in Summerset without contradicting ESO's portrayal [1]. Can we agree with that at least?

W.r.t the zones available in ESO, I agree that it is at least as larger as Vvardenfell... even if feelings deceive due to PoV and type of landscape. But, as I said, I'm more worried about what will this imply for the future of the series...

[1] Unless they retcon a lot of it, or don't consider it as canon, which in itself has also negative implications, IMO of course.
    Edited by leeux on April 29, 2018 5:13AM
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • Soldier224
    Soldier224
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    8fGQ7iP.jpg

(Red Stroke) Small? No:

7Ya5DjS.jpg

Man muss realistisch sein - Neunfinger Logan (First Law Trilogy)
    RP Guide: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/de/discussion/431297/rp-guide-aus-persoenlicher-sicht-was-ist-rp
    Für alle Einbrecher Tamriels oder die die es werden wollen:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/de/discussion/313750/diebestouren-guide-effektiver-diebstahl-in-teso (veraltet)
    Überblick über die Häuser der Dunmer (Enthält Interpretationen/Für Diskussionen offen):
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/de/discussion/481389/die-haeuser-der-dunmer-in-der-zeit-von-eso-haus-hlaalu-redoran-telvanni

• Blacknight841
    Blacknight841
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XomRhoK wrote: »
    Summerset 176837 pixels
    xK9Jkiw.png
    Vvardenfell 229226 pixels
    lAuEVdY.png
    According to this pictures, explorable part of Vvardenfell almost 30% bigger then explorable part of Summerset or in other words explorable part of Summerset almost 23% smaller then explorable part of Vvardenfell.

This is great, but think it should include the explorable area added with Artaeum as well. Considering it was technically added with the chapter. Doubt it would make much of a difference though.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    It depends as well if you just count the over-world "outdoor" content or the whole explorable area including "indoor" areas. The over-world feels small IMO, but I did not look at any of the other content, because I want to play that in the finished product and not in a beta. Basically what I mean with it is, that one would have to compare enjoyable playable content, which is hard and not the same for everyone. Like the industry says a game has like 50 hours of gameplay - and I play it for years and have not even seen all - this is all so relative - would be interesting to know, how ZOS is measuring it - maybe in man-hours required to create the content?

Then we need to count all indoor content and not just Summerset's. In the end it will change almost nothing when it comes to (accessible) content of the zone / size of the zone.
    Radinyn wrote: »

It's a lie by omission.

1. It has more explorable space, previous posts confirmed it.

2. It has more and bigger quests.

3. It has bigger public dungeons and delves.

4. It is larger than Morrowind in every aspect except it has 2 skilllines and not 3

5. You are fake news.

1. No, it hasn't.

2. No, it hasn't. The main zone quest might be the longest yet though, granted.

3. No, it hasn't.

4. No, it isn't.

5. Who's fake news here? It's not @psychotrip.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 29, 2018 6:57AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main quest line is way longer that vvardenfels thats for sure.