The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO: Morrowind Size Comparison (Now With A Summerset Update)

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Oh man, some guys still claiming Summerset is bigger than Auridon or Vvardenfell when everybody can just travel it on PTS and see that it's not. And no, the underground "content" is no excuse.

I did not know there was a PTS for the PS4
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    Now the comparation should be between Auridon and ridiculously tiny Summerset, wich instead of a volcano has four huge unaccessible mountains. What a scam. Glad I didn't pre order it.
    summon @Dominoid new comparsions about Summerset in progress?

Quick and dirty . . .

Most of the arguments I've seen are like taking a map of the world that is 10" x 10" and comparing it to a map of my city that is 12" x 12" and declaring my city is larger, because the map is larger. Looking at a map of Auridon and a map of Summerset and comparing just the map size is . . . well . . wrong.

You need to know the scale of the map. For that we have two options. The first is number of in-game cells which to the engine is a standard unit of measure. Vvardenfell is 81 x 81. Summerset is 144 x 144. Can't find base-game zone sizes right now.

The second is to measure how how far one walks on the Tamriel map over a fixed set of time. For example getting an assist from Map Coordinates and walking in one direction for ten seconds in Vvardenfell you traverse 1.4958 Tamriel map units. Doing so in Summerset, you traverse 1.2179. Doing so in Auridon, you traverse 1.7084 units. This makes the scale of Summerset 40.27% larger than Auridon. That would look like this:

mxgxqH2.png

Are there mountains? Yep. Can you get UNDER those mountains (no spoilers)? Yep. . . . maybe I'll do more. And Don't forget about Arteum as a zone too which is part of Summerset the Chapter.

That is not an accurate scale comparison. Take a look at this:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5066171/#Comment_5066171

That map is wrong. All it does it cut the Auridon map and the Summerset map and put them next to each other. You can't do that. The scales are different. Observe. Colorado is CLEARLY larger than the whole world.

uGKJXKN.png

That's all that other post is doing.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Oh man, some guys still claiming Summerset is bigger than Auridon or Vvardenfell when everybody can just travel it on PTS and see that it's not. And no, the underground "content" is no excuse.

That would change exactly what? You just have proven wrong regarding the size of Summerset. Not that I am surprised but it's blatantly obvious now the PTS is accessible for many players.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That would change exactly what? You just have proven wrong regarding the size of Summerset. Not that I am surprised but it's blatantly obvious now the PTS is accessible for many players.

Sorry dude. Your "feels" does not change the math. Summerset is larger.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry dude. Your "feels" does not change the math. Summerset is larger.

Your "math" does not carry over into the experience while playing and traveling Summerset.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 20, 2018 7:37PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How have I been proven wrong? That has not been established. We have already seen the maps scaled to the same objects, and Summerset is bigger than Auridon. If your basing your view on the roads drawn on the map, well that is artwork. Same as any road drawn on any atlas is much bigger than it really is.

Remember what I said in the last thread we had this discussion on? That once you experience the zone for yourself, then your opinion would be be something to discuss. Your basing your opinion on third party reports that have questionable accuracy and influenced by your desire for this new content to be less than you want it to be.

The only thing proven is you don't like the new map that you have not visited.

• CurlyQTip
    CurlyQTip
    ✭✭✭
    I don't give a *** about the size of the map so much as the quality of the content and the variety of the content

New Vegas didn't have that large of the map, and yet it was one of the best experiences out there, filled with endless quality content that devs put blood and sweat into.
    Signatures are for losers
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I am basing my opinion on 1) having tried it on the PTS yesterday and 2) YouTube videos where players travel the entire map within a really short amount of time.

It is not my desire that Summerset is a joke when it comes to content and size. My desire was to get the glorious islands of Summerset in their full size and not 40% blocked off by mountains.

It's hilarious how we're discussing now if Summerset is bigger than Auridon. That's so absurd. It should be two, maybe three times as big as Auridon. And at best it's barely bigger. That's wrong on so many levels. But as I said the last time, I am not surprised that your biased.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 20, 2018 7:52PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CurlyQTip wrote: »
    I don't give a *** about the size of the map so much as the quality of the content and the variety of the content

New Vegas didn't have that large of the map, and yet it was one of the best experiences out there, filled with endless quality content that devs put blood and sweat into.

I can't tell you much on that, but I can tell you there is a lot of content in the new zone. And it has a deep rich story too.

• CurlyQTip
    CurlyQTip
    ✭✭✭

I can't tell you much on that, but I can tell you there is a lot of content in the new zone. And it has a deep rich story too.

I'll trust your word on that, I'll have to find out myself either way really

morrowind did have some refreshing content, and one of the best training delves 'Nchuleftingth', which is pronounced by sneezing loudly
    Edited by CurlyQTip on April 20, 2018 7:59PM
  • XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick and dirty . . .

Most of the arguments I've seen are like taking a map of the world that is 10" x 10" and comparing it to a map of my city that is 12" x 12" and declaring my city is larger, because the map is larger. Looking at a map of Auridon and a map of Summerset and comparing just the map size is . . . well . . wrong.

You need to know the scale of the map. For that we have two options. The first is number of in-game cells which to the engine is a standard unit of measure. Vvardenfell is 81 x 81. Summerset is 144 x 144. Can't find base-game zone sizes right now.

The second is to measure how how far one walks on the Tamriel map over a fixed set of time. For example getting an assist from Map Coordinates and walking in one direction for ten seconds in Vvardenfell you traverse 1.4958 Tamriel map units. Doing so in Summerset, you traverse 1.2179. Doing so in Auridon, you traverse 1.7084 units. This makes the scale of Summerset 40.27% larger than Auridon. That would look like this:

mxgxqH2.png

Are there mountains? Yep. Can you get UNDER those mountains (no spoilers)? Yep. . . . maybe I'll do more. And Don't forget about Arteum as a zone too which is part of Summerset the Chapter.
    There is a flaw in this method. If you transfer this to the real world it will look like this: you traveled to the first country, ran with specific speed and specific amount of time and ran 1.4958 kilometers, then you traveled to another country, ran with same speed and same amount of time and ran 1.2179 kilometers, in third country with same speed and time you ran 1.7084 kilometers. Does this feel ok?
  • Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XomRhoK wrote: »
    Quick and dirty . . .

mxgxqH2.png

There is a flaw in this method. If you transfer this to the real world it will look like this: you traveled to the first country, ran with specific speed and specific amount of time and ran 1.4958 kilometers, then you traveled to another country, ran with same speed and same amount of time and ran 1.2179 kilometers, in third country with same speed and time you ran 1.7084 kilometers. Does this feel ok?

It's not real life tho.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick and dirty . . .

mxgxqH2.png

Nothing forces ZOS to make each zone scaled the same, and they are not. Imagine, if you will, that each of those three countries gets to define how long a kilometer is. That's ESO. Imagine how much bigger Luxembourg could be if they did that!
    Edited by Elsonso on April 20, 2018 9:51PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radinyn wrote: »
    It's not real life tho.
    Funny.

I just want to say that with his assumptation, that in-game cells is a standard unit of measure to the engine, he, with identical speed and identical time, ran different distances (amount of in-game cells). And that impossible. There is two options:
    1) Psijics affects spacetime
    2) His assumptation that in-game cells is a standard unit of measure to the engine is wrong

Edited by XomRhoK on April 20, 2018 10:08PM
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Radinyn wrote: »
    It's not real life tho.
    Funny.

I just want to say that with his assumptation, that in-game cells is a standard unit of measure to the engine, he, with identical speed and identical time, ran different distances (amount of in-game cells). And that impossible. There is two options:
    1) Psijics affects spacetime
    2) His assumptation that in-game cells is a standard unit of measure to the engine is wrong

I never said the distance was in-game cells. The distance is map distance. All maps start at 0,0 in the upper left and end at 100,100 in the bottom right. Each map is a different number of in-game cells. Vvardenfell being 81x81 and Summerset being 144x144. A “city’’ Map for exam-or might be 10x10 but it’s still 0,0 and 100,100. I did not cover in-game cells traversed.
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Quick and dirty . . .

mxgxqH2.png

Nothing forces ZOS to make each zone scaled the same, and they are not. Imagine, if you will, that each of those three countries gets to define how long a kilometer is. That's ESO. Imagine how much bigger Luxembourg could be if they did that!

This is the perfect analogy. Each local government of Tamriel decides their own unit of map distance. Lol
  • CurlyQTip
    CurlyQTip
    ✭✭✭
    One mentality i learned to adopt is thinking about canon size and population relative to ingame size and population

I think of skyrim for example as canonically being far more vast and populated than is allowed in game

There are very few games that actually feel like they are properly sized. Witcher 3 is a great example of this. Making a game feel as large as a real city is very very hard to do. Usually games mess it up massively.
    Edited by CurlyQTip on April 21, 2018 1:09AM
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Size only matters if you know how to use it..
  • XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never said the distance was in-game cells. The distance is map distance. All maps start at 0,0 in the upper left and end at 100,100 in the bottom right. Each map is a different number of in-game cells. Vvardenfell being 81x81 and Summerset being 144x144. A “city’’ Map for exam-or might be 10x10 but it’s still 0,0 and 100,100. I did not cover in-game cells traversed.
    Ok, now i understand that you count distance in map coordinates, which always 0,0-100,100 no matter the size of the map, that make sense. And your picture fit perfectly with size of Summerset at in game map from PTS
    mxgxqH2.png
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    Guys, I've found something interesting...
    Appartently they also intentionally changed shape of the whole island on Tamriel map:
    xqORZmT.jpg
    But size of the ships in docks at your picture different at Summerset and Auridon approximately at 84% (i measured image of the ships at the screen with ruler :) ), exact as @Shinni said in his post
    Shinni wrote: »
    My addon HarvestMap has to measure the zone, so it can properly display 3D pins and compute distance between resources etc.
    When I debugged HarvestMap to track the new jewelry resources, I realized that the size of the zone does not match the size of the 2D map.
    Using the addon API, you can compute that Summerset is 84% of its size compared to the Tamriel map.
    So it seems they somehow scaled map size of Summerset compared to in game size. I think @Shinni can explain better what they did.

• asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One mentality i learned to adopt is thinking about canon size and population relative to ingame size and population

I think of skyrim for example as canonically being far more vast and populated than is allowed in game

There are very few games that actually feel like they are properly sized. Witcher 3 is a great example of this. Making a game feel as large as a real city is very very hard to do. Usually games mess it up massively.

Sure, that's definitely a thing. However, even what is there representing the "theoretical" Summerset is not representing it properly. I've read the pocket guide that came with Oblivion, and all the various lore books. This Summerset does match the described look, feel, or infrastructure that has been established in the lore. So this Summerset does not match it size wise, or lore wise. I mean, if it at least met it lore wise I'd maybe be willing to overlook the size, which is what I was able to do with Vvardenfell.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, that's definitely a thing. However, even what is there representing the "theoretical" Summerset is not representing it properly. I've read the pocket guide that came with Oblivion, and all the various lore books. This Summerset does match the described look, feel, or infrastructure that has been established in the lore. So this Summerset does not match it size wise, or lore wise. I mean, if it at least met it lore wise I'd maybe be willing to overlook the size, which is what I was able to do with Vvardenfell.

That's the thing with Elder Scrolls lore that is both interesting and disturbing. Anyone can say what they want, and those books and maps are part of the lore, but they don't have to be strictly accurate. They don't have to be accurate at all.

I view visiting a location to trump all written descriptions and maps.

Where ZOS can fail with lore is more in the rolling back of time for places visited in previous games, like Cyrodiil (in particular).
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the thing with Elder Scrolls lore that is both interesting and disturbing. Anyone can say what they want, and those books and maps are part of the lore, but they don't have to be strictly accurate. They don't have to be accurate at all.

I view visiting a location to trump all written descriptions and maps.

Where ZOS can fail with lore is more in the rolling back of time for places visited in previous games, like Cyrodiil (in particular).

I get where you're coming from, but that's not what I meant. Sure a lot of the lore books are intentionally, or unintentionally biased writings, and I'm not referring to those. I'm referring to the basic facts established over various books, such as Cyrodiil had a jungle, or Summerset is a caste based society, it uses goblins for slave labour, and much of the island is farmland, and/or settled.
  • jazsper77
    jazsper77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vvardenfell is NOT bigger then WROTHGAR period. Man the defenders of ZOS work hard to cover for them. Smh
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭
    jazsper77 wrote: »
    Vvardenfell is NOT bigger then WROTHGAR period. Man the defenders of ZOS work hard to cover for them. Smh

first post proved you wrong
    go try again
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you spend any time in Vvardenfell, it is pretty clear that it is larger than Wrothgar. I've been doing the daily quests in both for this anniversary event and that much is certain.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except it is.

https://youtu.be/5lMxZZ3l8-U
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summerset is still significantly smaller than Vvardenfell and just rivals Auridon in size. Summerset is far from being the biggest zone (or even one of the biggest zones) in ESO.

And as some claimed, there is not more content in Summerset than in your usual vanilla zone. The "underground" content doesn't change that.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 26, 2018 6:45PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summerset is still significantly smaller than Vvardenfell and just rivals Auridon in size. Summerset is far from being the biggest zone (or even one of the biggest zones) in ESO.

And as some claimed, there is not more content in Summerset than in your usual vanilla zone. The "underground" content doesn't change that.

Sorry, but you're wrong: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5065181/#Comment_5065181
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 26, 2018 8:14PM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what's important. They told us one thing, and gave us another.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vvardenfell is NOT bigger then WROTHGAR period.

2AiOdwn.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
    Edited by danno8 on April 27, 2018 12:20AM