The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do most pve players hate pvp?

• Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pvp in this game only works for the 720s with elite gear and builds. For everyone else its horrible

There is plenty of no-cp PvP content, its also a lot easier for a pveer to get the gear for these elite builds, than it is for a pvper to get them.

This is the wrong reason. I think the reason you were looking for is 'its horrible for the unskilled', which isn't really a L2P comment, it's a simple truth, and one of the downfalls of this game. The PVP learning curve is simply too steep, and it takes a LOT of determination for a new player to become competent at PvP when their opposition is already competent.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure why people do not like PvP.

I first tried PvP in the beta, loved it.

I do only play Cyrodiil sporadically though. I tend to have bursts of wanting to do it, i'll play a lot of PvP, then not play again for months.

Maybe people are afraid of dying? I'm not quite sure why.

Maybe people find it too nerve-wracking? I get that. But the nerves add to the fun.

The real truth of the matter is though that PvP is the actual end game in ESO. It's always different, lots of new things to learn, and it just goes on and on long after you have done all of the PvE content.

It is just a shame that ZOS do not see this and invest in Cyrodiil and add new things, change ways to siege, add more, new things to do, maybe the odd world event.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
    Options
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me I don’t see the point. I play rpg’s for the stories and the immersion. If I want to PVP I go elsewhere because there are far better examples of it in other games and genres. ESO’s pvp is plagued by issues that sour the experience IMO.

Options
  • Grabmoore
    Grabmoore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play both, but mostly PvE.

The main reason is the uneven playing field. Most PvP players have no honour and don't ever play fair. That means they run as long as they aren't in a number advantage and choose sets that win for them.

PvP players are noobs, too and players like @mb10 often are just as bad in end game PvE as most PvEers are in duells. Saying PvP takes skill is bull**** in the current meta. It's your set and your numbers that matter to a big extend.

It's true for Cyro, where noone fights you 1 on 1 and runs away, because he won't get an easy target. It's also true for BGs, because your set and the fact PvPers more often than not play premades disturb an even competition.

I used to like PvP a bit more back in the days. Now it's just a small interlude between Raids.

Tl,dr: PvPers are honourless attention seeking Scrubs getting carried by numbers and sets, who evade any form of fair competition. Not all, but the majority. Therefore, no need to waste too much time there, since you don't gain good fights anyways.
    EU - PC - Ebonheart Pact
    Iggy Grabmoore - Argonian Magicka Templar | Nyctasha - Redguard Stamina Nightblade
    Do-Ra'Zhar - Khajiit Stamina DK | Ashmedi - Dunmer Magicka DK
    Vanya Darchow - AD Altmer Magicka Sorc | Malek gro'Kash - Orc Stam Sorc
    GM of "Handelshaus von Riften" - Trading & PvX Community
    Options
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly if I want to PvP I'll play a MOBA, not an RPG
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    Options
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its the most imbalanced pvp i have ever seen and it screws up balancing in pve
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not bad for the game, but it is good for making farming posts.
    Options
  • Zeni0s
    Zeni0s
    ✭✭
    Loosing against a player is a shame to me.

For every single game.
    Options
  • Lonestryder
    Lonestryder
    ✭✭✭
    MajBludd wrote: »
    So, why is pvp so bad for the game?

People.

Options
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

IMO PVP is not itself bad for the game... just like pizza with peppers, onions and seracha is not bad either.

However, PVP and PVE are functionally two very different games producing very different appeals and play experiences and expectations. For the most part, the times PVP was "forced" it tended to drive away those who did not like it.

Just like if i were required to eat that pizza if i wanted to go into a cafe, it would cause mt to not go to that cafe.

currently ESO has PVE and consensual PVP.

So it has both.

Its doing fine... it seems... and no doubt there are plenty of folks with specific things they wish were different but who still play.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

Options
  • ArvenAldmeri
    ArvenAldmeri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more person says pve is easier than pvp and you just need to "step out of red circle" I am gonna find him and punch him in the face... Do some trial hardmodes, then talk.
    Edited by ArvenAldmeri on April 2, 2018 11:10AM
    Magicka sorcerer from start until the end. Always. Through the good times and the bad, even now when its probably saddest PvE dps it has ever been.
    Even as an owner of one radiant apex mounts I am against radiant apex mounts and anything thats not obtainable by direct purchase.
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is all about ego, a player that doesn't like PvP can't handle they got beat by another player. In PvE if they get killed no one notices as much.
    Options
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can’t speak for everyone else, but I don’t “hate” PvP. I just don’t want to take the time to grind out PvP specific sets or learn the META to make myself competitive in PvP.

The only problem I have with PvP is the age-old balancing problem that developers always seem to have. They never seem to be able to balance one without messing up the other in some way. But, if they could find a way to permanently separate the two, PvE and PvP, I probably wouldn’t ever think of PvP at all.
    Options
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is all about ego, a player that doesn't like PvP can't handle they got beat by another player. In PvE if they get killed no one notices as much.

No, it's not "all about that". Believe it or not, some folks' egos aren't that fragile. It's simply a matter of PvP not appealing.

I make no bones about the fact that I am a mediocre player, at best, both PvE and, especially, PvP but it's not due to a fragile ego. I just don't enjoy PvP.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
    Options
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Grabmoore I don't think that's generally true about most pvp players.

I think most are friendly, helpful, good people. Sure you do have the leet, but those seem, to me, to be very few.

I can't comment on pve too much. I mostly pve to get ready for pvp. I do see where it takes some amount of skill for pve trials, etc.
    Edited by MajBludd on March 31, 2018 1:16PM
    Options
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »

IMO PVP is not itself bad for the game... just like pizza with peppers, onions and seracha is not bad either.

However, PVP and PVE are functionally two very different games producing very different appeals and play experiences and expectations. For the most part, the times PVP was "forced" it tended to drive away those who did not like it.

Just like if i were required to eat that pizza if i wanted to go into a cafe, it would cause mt to not go to that cafe.

currently ESO has PVE and consensual PVP.

So it has both.

Its doing fine... it seems... and no doubt there are plenty of folks with specific things they wish were different but who still play.

Follow-up...

Why do i not choose to PVP in this game?

PVP is a "competitive activity"

I love competitive activities. i play chess, go, bowling, munchkin, FRAG, poker, pool etc etc many many other competitive games and have even played some of those "competitively" (as in tourneys with prizes won etc at national and local levels)

Nothing wrong with competitive gaming.

*But* all of those competitive games i choose to play competitively have one basic thing in common - they have equality in play as a basic built in factor (or even a handicap feature to help weaker players.) The fact that you "won yesterday" does not give you a tactical in-game advantage against your next opponent. (if anything, it might shift the mechanics the other way round.)

in ESO (and some other MMOs) the "competitive" side is slanted to give players who have more resources "earned" by past plays to have a practical concrete advantage in actual play against those who have less.

Some try to make it seem like PVP is "skill vs skill" and "player vs player" but really just look at how many of the PVP zones restrict gear so that one player in blue gear wont be thrown up against another in gold gear to see how much it is meant to be "skill vs skill."

if you look at basically most every "competition" where gear matters, one of the core, necessary first steps is "standardizing gear between competitors for "mano-e-mano" to be portrayed as the important part.

Imagine how "good" basketball would be if the more profitable team got to play have their hoop be wider or lower without both sides swapping hopps. NCAA 16 seed vs 1 seed opening round and UVA gets a gold hoop 1 foot wider than its 16 seed challenger's green hoop... YAY... go team... this is competition!!!! may the best (richest) team win!!!

"here at the world poker championship, today the favored son will get to have seven cards in his hand instead of five - a two gold card advantage!"

So, its not for me.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

Options
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But in ncaa basketball, you have very good players.
    Each picked to play at that level. So, they worked to get to level of competion.

Then you have high school players. Just starting or relatively new. Through a little work and effort they too can be at the same level as the ncaa players.

Sort of like new pvp players and those that worked for their meta gear, etc.

Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it's not "all about that". Believe it or not, some folks' egos aren't that fragile. It's simply a matter of PvP not appealing.

I make no bones about the fact that I am a mediocre player, at best, both PvE and, especially, PvP but it's not due to a fragile ego. I just don't enjoy PvP.

Define what is not appealing if it is not that, why don't you enjoy PvP?
    Why does fighting computer scripted NPC not bother you but fighting human controlled character does?
    It can't be because a person doesn't like killing as no one really dies. Also there is just as much salt in group PvE.
    Don't get me wrong I respect your decision but I have found once a player that thought they hated PvP got over the dying part they actually stay and enjoy the mode.
    Edited by TequilaFire on March 31, 2018 1:29PM
    Options
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Why does fighting computer scripted NPC not bother you but fighting human controlled character does?
    It can't be because a person doesn't like killing as no one really dies. Allso there is just as much salt in group PvE.
    Don't get me wrong I respect your decision but I have found once a player that thought they hated PvP got over the dying part they actually stay and enjoy the mode.

Wow...so many questions over a preference. :)

But hey, I'm in a mellow mood so...

Honestly? Most PvP I've done (UO, EQ, DAoC, AoC, WoW etc.) has been boring to me. The running around like a crazy person and then the free for all. If things were a bit more, hmm, organised, synchronised it might be a different story. But at the heart of it, I'm an explorer/quester/crafter.

It doesn't bother me. It just doesn't interest me. There's a difference.

I tend to be quite picky about grouping in PvE as well. I've no time for rude folk. So I tend to avoid PUGs and only group with guildies or others I know (offline friends, family).

I've tried PvP since 1999, in the games listed above and some I've left out. I'd not a matter of being bothered by "dying" (because these days, that just doesn't hurt). It's, see number one. :)

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
    Options
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people don't like to die for some reason. They think they should be able to steam roll over everything and everyone. I disliked pvp in ESO at first because the game makes it seem like reaching level 50, and then 160 is a big deal. Actually it's more like 160 is where the game starts.

After you actually learn to separate pvp skill-use from pve playstyle, and gain a decent amount of cp/learn where to adjust points, pvp is fun. Of course you will nearly always be beaten by higher cp players who have played longer...thats how it should be.

Why should a pup beat a full grown dog:p People in general are too self-centered and negative. Be happy for the person who killed you. You feel happy when you kill someone else, so let them enjoy as well. It's just a game.

Edited by Jameliel on March 31, 2018 1:42PM
    Options
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buts its funny this was a pvp focused game originally
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It can't be because a person doesn't like killing as no one really dies. Allso there is just as much salt in group PvE.

Honestly? Most PvP I've done (UO, EQ, DAoC, AoC, WoW etc.) has been boring to me. The running around like a crazy person and then the free for all. If things were a bit more, hmm, organised, synchronised it might be a different story. But at the heart of it, I'm an explorer/quester/crafter.

I tend to be quite picky about grouping in PvE as well. I've no time for rude folk. So I tend to avoid PUGs and only group with guildies or others I know (offline friends, family).

I've tried PvP since 1999, in the games listed above and some I've left out. I'd not a matter of being bothered by "dying" (because these days, that just doesn't hurt). It's, see number one. :)

Fair enough, sorry for the third degree! :)
    Options
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Fair enough, sorry for the third degree! :)

No problem! Hope it helped see another viewpoint.

Have a great holiday weekend. :)

Options
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pvp in this game only works for the 720s with elite gear and builds. For everyone else its horrible

cp is way to important but ive fought players with less than 500 cp and they can do a lot better than 720 cp players because they are just better
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

Options
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It can't be because a person doesn't like killing as no one really dies. Also there is just as much salt in group PvE.

Without intending to be ironic, I find PvP to be extremely repetitive. Once you get the right gear and skills, it all boils down to “run over here, capture this objective, now run over there and capture that objective...”.

It keeps me entertained for a little bit, but I can’t get drawn into it the way other people do. I just get bored.
    Options
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because ppl are terrified of confrontation and prefer fluff
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on March 31, 2018 1:42PM
    Options
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think some might be intimidated by pvp, but it seems that some just prefer pve. As some just prefer pvp.
    Options
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Nope. See above.

Options
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Nope. See above.

You tend to avoid pugs...
    You avoid confrontation

What is the worst thing that can happen outside of your comfort zone??

I started again 2 days ago after a long break
    I forgot the mechanics of Arx Corinium and at the first boss some idiot told me off
    "We have no tank. DW cannot tank. Swearing and what not".

I got kicked out.
    I joined again a pug. Tanking with DW. Again at the first boss I messed up.
    During the fight somenody told me what to do.
    We ended up finishing that run with 0 deaths.

Seriously the reason ppl are afraid of PvP is because they dont want to have adversaries.
    They dont want to blow the bubble around them. So be it, no probs.
    Just dont expect to be taken seriously when discussing Eso as a whole game.
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on March 31, 2018 1:52PM
    Options
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure why people do not like PvP.

I first tried PvP in the beta, loved it.

I do only play Cyrodiil sporadically though. I tend to have bursts of wanting to do it, i'll play a lot of PvP, then not play again for months.

Maybe people are afraid of dying? I'm not quite sure why.

Maybe people find it too nerve-wracking? I get that. But the nerves add to the fun.

The real truth of the matter is though that PvP is the actual end game in ESO. It's always different, lots of new things to learn, and it just goes on and on long after you have done all of the PvE content.

It is just a shame that ZOS do not see this and invest in Cyrodiil and add new things, change ways to siege, add more, new things to do, maybe the odd world event.

its true ive been pvping on my magdk for years and I'm still learning new things. when all I did way pve for like 5 months its way easy if you actually got a group with good dps you ignored all mechanics in the game. pvers think cp is so important in pvp but I only do small group or 1vx in pvp id take 300 cp if he was good over a bad 720 cp for my group anyday. if the same 300cp guy and 720cp guy to to a raid group and to fill same position they wouldn't even think about taking the 300 cp guy when ive seem some easly kill max cp and best geared max cp players
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

Options
This discussion has been closed.