The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Premade groups are ruining battlegrounds...

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people think 4 good players are "premades".

As much as people like to think ESO caters to "noobs," the combat is not forgiving at all. The better and more experienced player almost always wins.

4 good players placed together randomly can crush the other teams, but they are unlikely to stay in that group if they continue playing BGs. Many of the complaints I see come from running into the same group of players (so, in a pre-made) over and over again due to the smaller population of battlegrounds. In that situation, it starts to feel like getting farmed at a Cyrodiil resources, but where the only option to walk away is to stop playing BGs for awhile.

Getting crushed once or twice by the random selection of good players on a team happens sometimes, and no doubt some players mistake that for a pre-made group. More problematic, however, is facing the same group of players over and over again where you can make a pretty good assumption that's a pre-made group where there's very little chance for the new or less experienced player to fight back effectively. As you say, the combat is not forgiving. Without the option to avoid that pre-made group they've been failing to beat, the only options are get good or quit playing.

Which is to say, if this were just a problem with players mistaking random selection of good players to be on a team together, we wouldn't expect to see people being beaten by the same group of teammates over and over again, which is a significant problem for Battlegrounds. Even in Cyrodiil, I'll fight the group that's farming PUGs at a resource once or twice, but if I see no chance at victory, I'm not going to through myself at them the 3rd or 4th time without reinforcements. That's be silly because I know the result and I don't enjoy being farmed over and over again. Its not any different for me in BGs. If I'm meeting the same group over and over and I can't beat them, I'm going to take a break (and probably research/practice counters, because "get good" doesn't happen instantly).
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    oMrRust wrote: »
    This should be simple for them to do.

2 queues.

1 solo only queue

and then

1 groups only queue.

I´m all in for this idea.
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    battlegrounds are ruining battlegrounds

matchmaking isn't that hard unless you're ZOS, let's not forget how it took them half a year to get the ready check working lmao, matchmaking would literally set everything on fire
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The sole reason I don't do bg's.

I don't buy the idea that there isn't the population for separate queues. Imho, if there were separate queues, there would be more BG players. A lot more.

In my experience of bg's in other MMOs, premades were always the minority.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Biro123 wrote: »

I don't buy the idea that there isn't the population for separate queues. Imho, if there were separate queues, there would be more BG players. A lot more.

I also have a hard time swallowing this pill. When i queue on PC NA i can get a group within 3 minutes at most times of day. Id rather wait 6 or 7 minutes and get groups that were properly sorted. Besides i think if they improved things like this about BGS more people would queue for them and offset the extra wait time needed. I know i would queue more often if i knew that i wasnt going to get stuck against a premade farming PUGs for AP.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

As much as people like to think ESO caters to "noobs," the combat is not forgiving at all. The better and more experienced player almost always wins.

Most people play multiple, so you can see who is who. Also if you know the general BG community then you can tell who often premakes.

People say it caters to noobs because of the many strengths for outnumbering and cheese that allows bad players to live. But put them 1v1 or 4v4 good vs v bad and it shows.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Biro123 wrote: »

Well, on PS4 I am waiting ~ 30min throughout the day for a battleground to open, in the evening it's 5-10min. I really don't know why this takes so long, but it could be an issue.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    I've pugged into many groups before where we smashed the other teams 500-0. Pre-made groups aren't the problem it's good players. If you made it so that no one could queue into a group and have it all be solo queue there would still be games where one team stomps the other two because one team simply got the better players.

There is a large skill-gap in PvP which makes those who aren't very good feel hopeless in many BG matches.

Until they have a healthy enough population to support multiple queues the only advice I can offer is to practice more, get a better build, Or get some friends.

All of this being said, I PUG most of my BGs and come in at least 2nd almost every time and win quite a few. It feels even better when you smash a pre-mades with your Pug group.
    Agreed, if the 4 players in a premade aren't very good their group won't win. My friend got me into BG's for the first time this week and without even talking to our teammates the teams we were on won about 70% of the time because we're both pretty decent and played the objectives.
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    And MMR sistem would change things, the metter is that we don't have enough players for it
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    As a PUG in BGs. Premades don't ruins BG.

ZOSes matchmaker ruins BGs for both Pre Mades and PUGs alike.
  • Demycilian
    Demycilian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I remember how premades killed the bg of WildStar. These people then went on to cry and troll the forum how there are no queueues popping and that carebears are to blame. To finally continue their journey and kill the pvp in the next mmo.

After a while this world just seems to be caught in a loop.
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    There should definitely be a solo only queue in addition to the currently one. I know I'd play BGs a lot more if there was.

During late nights its not easy getting into a bg even early in night i have troubles with or without a group premade. If they made separate queues it would end up like the dungeon finder. Broken

Maybe ppl don't que because they don't want to be farmed by premades. I sure know I wouldn't,
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jura23 wrote: »
    There should definitely be a solo only queue in addition to the currently one. I know I'd play BGs a lot more if there was.

During late nights its not easy getting into a bg even early in night i have troubles with or without a group premade. If they made separate queues it would end up like the dungeon finder. Broken

Maybe ppl don't que because they don't want to be farmed by premades. I sure know I wouldn't,
    Than why people didn't que when matchmaking was broken and allowed only solo q?
  • The_Brosteen
    The_Brosteen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think bgs should loose the game modes and have two queues, team and solo. Team will be how it is now but only deathmatch, solo will be a 5 or 6 player free for all.
    Just my thoughts.
  • Shadowmaster
    Shadowmaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    aliyavana wrote: »
    Yes, nothing you can really do when your In a pug and the other group is a 4 stack of experienced pvpers.

Agree that they should break it out into "public" and "premade" queues but disagree that premades ruin the content.
  • Shadowmaster
    Shadowmaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I'd argue it's "almost always wins. I'd also point out in my opinion, it should be that way.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Cinbri wrote: »

It was broken for solo too, just not as grievously broken. That is why.

Most games I play are full pugs, but then the occasional premade comes.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Again, fighting a premade group once or twice is no problem. But when they're farming you the whole evening it becomes a chore and really turns you away from doing battlegrounds.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Match making would be ideal.
  • munster1404
    munster1404
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care about premade groups. I just want to accrue enough APs to unlock essential Alliance War skill lines. I don't even mind getting last place in BG.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    I'm very sorry that your unorganized pug with maybe only 1 or 2 "good" players isn't winning. Honestly sometimes 2 members of the group are the pugs and the other two are premade and just work well while the pugs fill in the gaps. I oly hear complaints about RNG which is nothing new
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    Cinbri wrote: »

It was broken for solo too, just not as grievously broken. That is why.

Most games I play are full pugs, but then the occasional premade comes.
    It was perfectly fine for solo queuers. Not the first weeks tho.
    And people back than were saying "if i cant play with friends - i wont play it" and because of it q was still very long sometimes - people didnt want to solo q. But right after group q was fixed - bgs became alive.
    Btw it seems mm does have some hidden mechanic of group q: if you q solo you will get matches fast, if you q with 3 or 4 - you might wait match for long, depends if other premades are q, and most likely you will get match of premade vs premade. Ofc if other prem not q you will either sit in q for 15+min or placed against random groups that made of 2+2/2+1+1.
    Edited by Cinbri on March 12, 2018 5:00AM
  • WeyounTM
    WeyounTM
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    This one has had a lot of fun playing BGs, despite only doing it in solo queue and playing a weird support build. But I have to agree that once you run into premade stacks, things will get ugly pretty quickly. On the other hand you can get into a great pug team and get a lot of satisfaction by killing that premade team in another round...

At this point in time the population playing BGs might be its biggest problem. Hence why this one doesnt understand why the premades still go on with their farming business, no matter the consequences.
    When I saw a popular streamer crushing through BGs with his high-skilled-friends team I wondered...."Wouldn't it be more skillfull to just split up in two 2 man groups and see if you can duke it out AGAINST each other...."?
    But no....let the farming never end until even the last solo queue player has gone and you can wait 3 hours with your 4 man stack to get a matchup.

So yes, I agree....ZOS has done quite a bit wrong to get BGs to the place they are now. But we, as a whole community share some responsibility too. If you only play with your 4 man group in your comfortzone to go wreck people you are no better than ZOS for letting unbalanced BGs happening in the first place.
    Magicka-Khajiit-Player since Beta

PC-EU Vivec Sotha Sil Campaign
    Heals-your-Paws Khajiit Magplar - Main Char - AD (sadly)

Little-Miss-Hurricane - Khajiit -Stamsorc - DC
    Saves-your-Paws - Khajiit MagDK - DC
    Lucký-Paws - Khajiit StamDK - DC
    Icy-Paws - Khajiit Magden - DC
    White-Paws - Khajiit Stamblade - DC
    Paws-of-the-Light - Khajiit Stamplar - DC
    Adusa D'aro - Khajiit Stamplar - DC
    Purrs-at-the-Moons - Khajiit Stamcro - DC
    Necrotic-Paws - Khajiit Magcro - DC
    White-Claws - Khajiit StamDK - AD
    Sticky-Paws - Khajiit Stamplar - AD
    Silent-Paws - Khajiit Magblade - AD

Hides-the-Skooma - Khajiit Stamden - EP
    Protector-of-the-Mane - Khajiit Magplar -EP
    Leaps-your-Paws - Khajiit MagDK - EP
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It doesn't matter how good you are when you're queuing as a solo player because you can end up facing a premade group of 4 good players who've been playing together for a while and using discord to ask for heals, etc. Also, when you're not queuing as a premade group of 4, you sometimes end up with only 2 other players on your team instead of 3.
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Premades that know they are queuing against pugs are bottom feeders, imo. Can't handle competition, and look for easy wins, then pat each other on the back for being so "awesome".

What's funny is that when Premades are only allowed to queue against Premades, they suddenly all disappear. Happens in every game that institutes a group vs group queue for pvp.

If you want to "group with friends" - go to Cyrodiil. Pugstomping is for carebears.

Edited by Drachenfier on March 13, 2018 2:00PM
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I go to Cryodiil. I don't waste my time with bgs.
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    They ruin pvp as a whole, you can literally do nothing vs a heavy zerg full of wardens an healbots.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It definitely ruins it for me.

We need separate queues. Period. There's no other way about it.
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    The only time I'l enter Battlegrounds is with a group of friends. I suck at PvP, so I go there simply to do an activity with friends. Take that away, and you won't see me in Battlegrounds again. Not sure if there are many like me, but this is my story, and I'll stick to it. :tongue:
    PC, EU
    Not elite, not the best. Just enjoying ESO.
    Not the worst either. "Casual" != "totally ignorant"
    @taciti
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    As an aside - as a premade group we sometimes win, sometimes lose, sometimes end up smack bang in the middle. Even premade groups can encounter better premade groups. :lol:
    PC, EU
    Not elite, not the best. Just enjoying ESO.
    Not the worst either. "Casual" != "totally ignorant"
    @taciti