Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MAGBLADE pvp theorycrafting

• kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exodium wrote: »
    Actually considering trying out a dw/resto 5 necro 5 overwhelming 2 valkyn set up for OP pressure and burst lol.

With overwhelming giving concussed and proccing valkyn constantly and necro giving me sustained dps, I think this set up could work.

Ive been using transmutation with necro mostly cause shadow image is bugged and survivability is poor without it, but with shadow image fixed next patch I think i can make do without transmutation again.

With mag recovery glyphs and Siphoning plus argonian racial I should be fine for sustain too. If needed I'll slot atronarch though.

Tell me what you guys think?

I like the idea of using overwhelming; what are you talking about "slot atronach" did you go into sorc mode or did you mean swap for the mundus?
    Edited by kaithuzar on January 27, 2018 1:32PM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    Actually considering trying out a dw/resto 5 necro 5 overwhelming 2 valkyn set up for OP pressure and burst lol.

With overwhelming giving concussed and proccing valkyn constantly and necro giving me sustained dps, I think this set up could work.

Ive been using transmutation with necro mostly cause shadow image is bugged and survivability is poor without it, but with shadow image fixed next patch I think i can make do without transmutation again.

With mag recovery glyphs and Siphoning plus argonian racial I should be fine for sustain too. If needed I'll slot atronarch though.

Tell me what you guys think?

I like the idea of using overwhelming; what are you talking about "slot atronach" did you go into sorc mode or did you mean swap for the mundus?

Yeah atm I'm using apprentice Mundus but Id swap to atronarch if sustain is poor. Atm sources of sustain with necro/overwhelming set up would be:

Witchmothers brew
    Siphoning strikes
    Argonian racial
    Light armour passives
    Mag recovery glyphs
    Major intellect from immovable pots

So I think atronarch might be overkill. But we will see when I test it when I get home
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't more than started running magblade. But Necropotence and Spinner's is quite nice. I slot Shadowrend as monster set, and go DW and Destro or Resto on backbar, depending on if I need more defense or offensive power.

I have never been much for procsets, or "If you sacrifice a goat and roll dodge on Maundy Thursday at an unever year, you have a 2% chance to spawn a leprechaun dealing xxxx flame damage, and healing allies within 5 meters for xxxx health every 8 seconds" kind of sets. I go for raw stats. I took a Shadowrend head I had for the recover, and realized I had a shoulder too - so I tried it and kind of liked it. He finds people in sneak all the time, it's like his specialty it seems. ;-)

It's a bit of squish setup, but it's a nightblade so I don't care. I can pull out of the heat most of the time, if I can't stand it.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    for me its kinda goot sign if a class dont have 1 meta set combo (like stamden atm)

that looks really balanced on mageblade... so many to try sooo many combinations
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have largely stayed range but I am working on a melee build just swapping destro for 2h for momentum and reach for fear, then replacing meteor with soul harvest and I am finding it more necessary when I run into DKs, Wardens, or streaking sorcs where I need to keep gap closing and keeping it in the dressing room. Finding the melee has more applications in small scale, but go back to range if it winds up being zerg vs zerg.

What I am debating now is removing cripple on my range build; then using lotus fan to dot and snare in stead for the better snare, then shadow imaging back when it is fixed.

Anyone else doing something similar?
    Edited by technohic on January 28, 2018 12:44AM
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    I have largely stayed range but I am working on a melee build just swapping destro for 2h for momentum and reach for fear, then replacing meteor with soul harvest and I am finding it more necessary when I run into DKs, Wardens, or streaking sorcs where I need to keep gap closing and keeping it in the dressing room. Finding the melee has more applications in small scale, but go back to range if it winds up being zerg vs zerg.

What I am debating now is removing cripple on my range build; then using lotus fan to dot and snare in stead for the better snare, then shadow imaging back when it is fixed.

Anyone else doing something similar?

Yup agree for the most part.
    The only alterations I would say are:
    If you are only using cripple in zerg vs zerg, dibilatate might be better (other morph)
    Also I prefer incap to soul harvest
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »
    but with shadow image fixed next patch
    shadow image fixed
    fixed
    Hahaha, good one!

If it's still broken I'm shelving my magnb. Refuse to play without one of its class defining skills.

Same here. Magblade was the first ever character I made when I started playing way back around launch, but with the current meta of insane burst stacking playing without shade in light is suicide. If it's not fixed I'm rerolling to mag sorc full time.
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »
    shadow image fixed
    fixed
    Hahaha, good one!

If it's still broken I'm shelving my magnb. Refuse to play without one of its class defining skills.

Same here. Magblade was the first ever character I made when I started playing way back around launch, but with the current meta of insane burst stacking playing without shade in light is suicide. If it's not fixed I'm rerolling to mag sorc full time.

Yep I literally have to run a defensive set (transmutation) because of it. Before the patch I could rely on surviving through just shade mobility and cloak and use two damage oriented sets.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    The more I think about it the more I feel like 1 pirate + 1 chudan is great but only one of either is nothing =/
    (for light armor builds, maybe in heavy armor builds it matters more)
    3k seems like a lot but I was leagues better off dueling a magdk when I was using grothdar so since I'm so dmg heavy I'm going to try grothdar open world again.
    I think the amount of pressure it allows you to put on people(when you have a dmg heavy build) is the best mitigation of all ie... them running away & not dpsing you

I feel like resistances are more worth while the closer you are to cap. Meaning that if you have 25k and you do something to add another 3k it seems worth it but if you're at 10k and you add 3k it just feels meh(blah)

If you're just running around light or medium with 10-13k resistance, I'm not too certain you will fair too well against a MagDK or a StamDK who keeps on spamming Dizzying Swing and Executioner. If you're a MagBlade sporting 25k resistance with heavy, that's impressive, but then, how's the spell damage or dps? You're likely sacrificing some other resource pool to get that high of resistance. I haven't got my MagBlade down yet, but still working on it. It's hard to find a good balance build where you can have maj close to the 40k and Spell dmg in the 2k, while having sustain in the 2k. For me, I have to sacrifice recovery so to have my maj pool and damage up. You may be able to sport a build with 40k majicka and 3k recovery, but you're likely jabbing the enemy with an unsharpened knife.

I've done well against dk's even with having 10-12k resistances because i've been using refreshing path, forward momentum, grothdarr, and keeping fear up on their cc immunity cooldown

With the 25k+ resistance build I was wearing 5 light with that one too ;)
    but you're right damage was sacrificed a small amount

It's really not hard at all to get the stats you speak about, what's hard is getting penetration, sustain, and damage on heavy armor; but I listed a build above that should cover it.

I'm not sure how or what sets/build you are using that is giving you 25k+ resistance with 5 x light. That is just impressive that you say you have that stat. PvE-wise, I'm pretty much a heavy (HA) armor guy and run all HA sets on all my toons, both mag and stam. It's just because I mostly solo PvE, except for trials, of course. Even then, my best stam has about 22k spell and 18k physical, with all maxed class passives. I've tried light and medium sets, but the spell/phys resist are just horrible; for soloing, at least. I'm barely breaking 15K with medium. Particularly, in PvP, where you are practically using all impen, I can't bite how a light set is getting that high of resist. Unless, you're using that crazy CWC set, what is it, Temper Brass, I think, or Pariah. Those are the only two comes to mind which can offer high resist. However, with such high resist, you're sacrificing other resources pool, like majicka, damage and recovery.

Actually, I have 6 stam toons (that include a StamBlade) that made it to Legionary. Well, I'm not really, I guess you can say hardcore, or an avid PvPer. I practically just took those toons into PvP to get Vigor and Caltrops. So, all are just sitting as Legionary. I like the Stamblade, so, I decided to create a MagBlade just for giggle and grins. I also have mag and stamsorc which both are brutal for PvEing. So, I figured, a MagBlade shouldn't be that bad. Well, my current MagBlade has so far gone farther in PvP than any other of my toons. I have so far made it to Lieutenant with this MagBlade. Again, I'm practically a soloist for PvP. Of course, you have to join in a zerg when you run into one, but, while traveling about, I'm a soloist. So, when I run into those other soloist or smaller gank group, I have killed and also been killed.

I'm still no way considered a good PvPer, but this thread has helped me out and gave me some ideas to better myself. The problem I see with MagBlade, at least for me, is self-healing and maj recovery. I have tried many different builds. I had ran with one that has over 2k maj recovery, but sacrificed my maj pool to around 35k. I practically had to enchant all gold maj recovery glyphs, so, my spell dam was really low, though. I wasn't killing much, and was getting my ass handed back to me a lot. After playing with different sets and build, I am currently running all all spell dam glyphs and a set combo that gives just maj and spell damage passives. I'm sitting around 41k maj and 2.2k spell dam (unbuff), but my maj recovery is crap. My spell resist is around 20k and phys around 17k (unbuff.) However, I find that I am surviving more and winning a bit more duels with this setup.

The only problem I have is against DKs. I know, because I run stam and MagDK in PvE, and the only diff for PvP, is you're sporting impen versus infused/divines for PvE. Particularly, those 2H and running HA sets. I been losing more to this DKs, although, I would win here and there. Usually, though, when I'm winning, they would just scamp away. I hate it when other toons/players run away chicken when they are losing and about to die. Anyways, a lot of those DKs, I'm not sure what build they are sporting, though. The ones, I mean, I popping Lotus Fan, Concealed Weapon, Piercing Mark, Incap strikes, Soul Harvest, Mass Hysteria; you name it, all the arsenal that a MagBlade has. I'm also throwing the kitchen sink at them, but they seem to survive. Particularly, when they pop that Vigor. That's pretty much gets me. I'm almost depleted my maj pool throwing everything at them and almost killing them, then they pop that damn Vigor.

Damn, stam can get a good 12-14k healing back; plus the Rally or Momentum they pretty much are back at full health. However, a MagBlade, we only getting about 5k back. I'm also popping Swallow Soul, but getting health recovery doesn't fair as well as I would like. I tried using Refreshing Path; oh sure, it's great for a zerg or a group, but doesn't help much when you're fighting one or two by yourself. I have been able to take out one or two other toons by myself, but I always seem to have trouble with the DKs, because of the good damn stam-based Vigor. My death recap, I'm seeing 5k Dizzying Swing and 7k Executioner and other 6k hits. With strike stats like that from the 2H, and their good self-healing, how the hell are you suppose to win with a MagBlade? I mean, damn, I'm killing world bosses by myself in PvE, but one DK is a freaking handful in PvP. There is something not right about PvP. Ha ha.

Bottom line.. what I'm seeing in PvP is, sure good sets/build helps and higher recovery may aid as well, but it all comes down to who has the higher damage outputs with better self-healing. I mean, with my StamBlade with the Vigor, Ambush, Surprise Attack, Shrouded Daggar, Piercing Mark and Poison Injection, I was tearing up DKs. However, with this MagBlade, because of it lower self-healing, I'm not fairing too well against toons with high resistance.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of those Stam toons you mentioned is not just vigor. 7th + troll king + lingering health potions happens a lot. All 3 are getting nerfed/fixed on PTS. The next thing will be pirate skeleton and purge the debuff which probably is unintended
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of those Stam toons you mentioned is not just vigor. 7th + troll king + lingering health potions happens a lot. All 3 are getting nerfed/fixed on PTS. The next thing will be pirate skeleton and purge the debuff which probably is unintended

Damn.. more nerfing. Guess it's too much to ask them dev to quit nerfing and buff instead. Yeah, I'm certain they're pushing all things ESO to be in groupies. Since Warlord and Magician and other passives gone and nerfed, the Vigor is pretty much the saving grace for stam toon (sololy.) All they had to do is buff Vigor for mag toons, for the balance. More nerfs for PvP just means more crap gaming experience in PvE; same old crapshoot.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn.. more nerfing. Guess it's too much to ask them dev to quit nerfing and buff instead. Yeah, I'm certain they're pushing all things ESO to be in groupies. Since Warlord and Magician and other passives gone and nerfed, the Vigor is pretty much the saving grace for stam toon (sololy.) All they had to do is buff Vigor for mag toons, for the balance. More nerfs for PvP just means more crap gaming experience in PvE; same old crapshoot.

Maybe; but most of these are just not working as intended. Troll king and lingering pot not getting debuff like other health recover and heals. 7 th had no cool down on the heal. You could argue that should be fine; but not with it also being a competitive damage set as well.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more I think about it the more I feel like 1 pirate + 1 chudan is great but only one of either is nothing =/
    3k seems like a lot but I was leagues better off dueling a magdk when I was using grothdar so since I'm so dmg heavy I'm going to try grothdar open world again.
    I think the amount of pressure it allows you to put on people(when you have a dmg heavy build) is the best mitigation of all ie... them running away & not dpsing you

I feel like resistances are more worth while the closer you are to cap. Meaning that if you have 25k and you do something to add another 3k it seems worth it but if you're at 10k and you add 3k it just feels meh(blah)

If you're just running around light or medium with 10-13k resistance, I'm not too certain you will fair too well against a MagDK or a StamDK who keeps on spamming Dizzying Swing and Executioner. If you're a MagBlade sporting 25k resistance with heavy, that's impressive, but then, how's the spell damage or dps? You're likely sacrificing some other resource pool to get that high of resistance. I haven't got my MagBlade down yet, but still working on it. It's hard to find a good balance build where you can have maj close to the 40k and Spell dmg in the 2k, while having sustain in the 2k. For me, I have to sacrifice recovery so to have my maj pool and damage up. You may be able to sport a build with 40k majicka and 3k recovery, but you're likely jabbing the enemy with an unsharpened knife.

I've done well against dk's even with having 10-12k resistances because i've been using refreshing path, forward momentum, grothdarr, and keeping fear up on their cc immunity cooldown

It's really not hard at all to get the stats you speak about, what's hard is getting penetration, sustain, and damage on heavy armor; but I listed a build above that should cover it.

I'm not sure how or what sets/build you are using that is giving you 25k+ resistance with 5 x light. That is just impressive that you say you have that stat. PvE-wise, I'm pretty much a heavy (HA) armor guy and run all HA sets on all my toons, both mag and stam. It's just because I mostly solo PvE, except for trials, of course. Even then, my best stam has about 22k spell and 18k physical, with all maxed class passives. I've tried light and medium sets, but the spell/phys resist are just horrible; for soloing, at least. I'm barely breaking 15K with medium. Particularly, in PvP, where you are practically using all impen, I can't bite how a light set is getting that high of resist. Unless, you're using that crazy CWC set, what is it, Temper Brass, I think, or Pariah. Those are the only two comes to mind which can offer high resist. However, with such high resist, you're sacrificing other resources pool, like majicka, damage and recovery.

Actually, I have 6 stam toons (that include a StamBlade) that made it to Legionary. Well, I'm not really, I guess you can say hardcore, or an avid PvPer. I practically just took those toons into PvP to get Vigor and Caltrops. So, all are just sitting as Legionary. I like the Stamblade, so, I decided to create a MagBlade just for giggle and grins. I also have mag and stamsorc which both are brutal for PvEing. So, I figured, a MagBlade shouldn't be that bad. Well, my current MagBlade has so far gone farther in PvP than any other of my toons. I have so far made it to Lieutenant with this MagBlade. Again, I'm practically a soloist for PvP. Of course, you have to join in a zerg when you run into one, but, while traveling about, I'm a soloist. So, when I run into those other soloist or smaller gank group, I have killed and also been killed.

I'm still no way considered a good PvPer, but this thread has helped me out and gave me some ideas to better myself. The problem I see with MagBlade, at least for me, is self-healing and maj recovery. I have tried many different builds. I had ran with one that has over 2k maj recovery, but sacrificed my maj pool to around 35k. I practically had to enchant all gold maj recovery glyphs, so, my spell dam was really low, though. I wasn't killing much, and was getting my ass handed back to me a lot. After playing with different sets and build, I am currently running all all spell dam glyphs and a set combo that gives just maj and spell damage passives. I'm sitting around 41k maj and 2.2k spell dam (unbuff), but my maj recovery is crap. My spell resist is around 20k and phys around 17k (unbuff.) However, I find that I am surviving more and winning a bit more duels with this setup.

The only problem I have is against DKs. I know, because I run stam and MagDK in PvE, and the only diff for PvP, is you're sporting impen versus infused/divines for PvE. Particularly, those 2H and running HA sets. I been losing more to this DKs, although, I would win here and there. Usually, though, when I'm winning, they would just scamp away. I hate it when other toons/players run away chicken when they are losing and about to die. Anyways, a lot of those DKs, I'm not sure what build they are sporting, though. The ones, I mean, I popping Lotus Fan, Concealed Weapon, Piercing Mark, Incap strikes, Soul Harvest, Mass Hysteria; you name it, all the arsenal that a MagBlade has. I'm also throwing the kitchen sink at them, but they seem to survive. Particularly, when they pop that Vigor. That's pretty much gets me. I'm almost depleted my maj pool throwing everything at them and almost killing them, then they pop that damn Vigor.

Damn, stam can get a good 12-14k healing back; plus the Rally or Momentum they pretty much are back at full health. However, a MagBlade, we only getting about 5k back. I'm also popping Swallow Soul, but getting health recovery doesn't fair as well as I would like. I tried using Refreshing Path; oh sure, it's great for a zerg or a group, but doesn't help much when you're fighting one or two by yourself. I have been able to take out one or two other toons by myself, but I always seem to have trouble with the DKs, because of the good damn stam-based Vigor. My death recap, I'm seeing 5k Dizzying Swing and 7k Executioner and other 6k hits. With strike stats like that from the 2H, and their good self-healing, how the hell are you suppose to win with a MagBlade? I mean, damn, I'm killing world bosses by myself in PvE, but one DK is a freaking handful in PvP. There is something not right about PvP. Ha ha.

Bottom line.. what I'm seeing in PvP is, sure good sets/build helps and higher recovery may aid as well, but it all comes down to who has the higher damage outputs with better self-healing. I mean, with my StamBlade with the Vigor, Ambush, Surprise Attack, Shrouded Daggar, Piercing Mark and Poison Injection, I was tearing up DKs. However, with this MagBlade, because of it lower self-healing, I'm not fairing too well against toons with high resistance.

I think you may have misunderstood me, when I say 25k+ resistance I mean fully buffed.
    I explained it earlier in this thread, gotta read everything man. 1 pirate, 1 chudan, blessing of restoration, 8% damage mitigation from cloak, and shadow passives; thow back bar wizard riposte on top & it's pretty tanky in 5 light.

For damage, 2k unbuffed is generally enough.
    By the way, you're using refreshing path wrong, you gotta stand in it so the heals will tick on you and it will also damage your opponent if they come near you.
    What platform do you play on? If pc na I can definitely help you out man
    Edited by kaithuzar on January 28, 2018 5:36PM
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you may have misunderstood me, when I say 25k+ resistance I mean fully buffed.
    I explained it earlier in this thread, gotta read everything man. 1 pirate, 1 chudan, blessing of restoration, 8% damage mitigation from cloak, and shadow passives; thow back bar wizard riposte on top & it's pretty tanky in 5 light.

By the way, you're using refreshing path wrong, you gotta stand in it so the heals will tick on you and it will also damage your opponent if they come near you.

Why on earth would you EVER use blessing of restoration on a magblade, class that's known to struggle with bar space? O_o 1k resists, that's like 100 less damage from a hit. If you think that's worth a bar space....
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    By the way you melee magblades out there what's your bar set ups like?

Mine are;
    Dw bar: concealed, Cloak, Merciless, crippling grasp, mass hysteria

Resto: Entropy, healing ward, shadow image, Siphoning strikes, double take
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are;

My bars for 2h/resto magblade are

2h: mercy, FM, cloak, concealed, lotus. Incap ult
    Resto: Healing ward, SiphoN strikes, fear, Soul swallow, cripple. Resto ult

I'm still pretty scrubish is on it but I run it as a burst/sustain type. Weave with resto from range then gapclose for combos
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »

Mine are;

I'm still pretty scrubish is on it but I run it as a burst/sustain type. Weave with resto from range then gapclose for combos

See I'd love to run lotus over cripple but you don't have a Siphoning skill for 8% mag I noticed?
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    Dont forget cripple also gives major expedition for the duration...something I find VERY important especially on a melee magblade.
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dreth wrote: »
    Dont forget cripple also gives major expedition for the duration...something I find VERY important especially on a melee magblade.

Yeah I basically use cripple as a gap closer over lotus. It immobilises them and it speeds you up. Plus it's a Siphoning skill.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreth wrote: »

After playing with the idea of removing it; I decided I like having the root version as well for melee or ranged. Helps with kiting. Really screws with Templars who want to jab, or dizzying swing spammers if they dont want to sacrifice heavy armor nor rally. And from my MagNB; I've learned that if I am not running 2H, I can't roll my way out of every root even with shacklebreaker or amberplasm. It's just a nice pressure tool

I keep evolving my builds. I have a melee and a ranged build; but just started trying to mix the 2 for a jack of all trades, master of none. Im running on it

5 shackle/ 5 spinners/1 kena and argonian
    Resto Front: Merc, Cripple, swallow Soul, mass hysteria, heaiing ward, resto ult/meteor/soul harvest/incap
    2h back: shadow image, louts, concealed, shadow disguise, forward momentum, soul harvest/incap/meteor

This is a no go until shadow image fix is live. Intention is to be able tolotus into melee against reflecters, or to land fear and offensive ult, then shadow image back to range. I prefer ranged, but landing the meteor ult with reach to prevent block is tricky. Fear takes care of that and between reflects, roll dodgers, or sorcs that streak/Ball out of range its nice to have the melee available. I lost my execute to do this though, as well as evasion, and no room for shield hence heavy armor.

I'm undecided how I want to layout the ultimate right now. If Im porting in, do I want more frequent offensive and keep the resto ultimat? Do I want the bigger combo of meteor and merciless? Do I want the faster ultimate build up over the better morph? Decisions decisions.

Anyone see any major points I am missing?
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    shadow image fixed
    fixed
    Hahaha, good one!

Yep I literally have to run a defensive set (transmutation) because of it. Before the patch I could rely on surviving through just shade mobility and cloak and use two damage oriented sets.

don't give up. I survive as melee magblade or ranged in full divines LA julianos/warmaiden. Yes it's hard but the more fun when you kill someone. And i am not good with shields every 6 seconds :(
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why on earth would you EVER use blessing of restoration on a magblade, class that's known to struggle with bar space? O_o 1k resists, that's like 100 less damage from a hit. If you think that's worth a bar space....

Because it's also a "burst heal", something our class lacks.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'burst heal' in my case is and has always been healing ward. I have so much hps that it's usually more than enough. If it works for you, however, then why not! What did you drop to make room for it?
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Nb doesnt opperate on burst heals. When played right as a high damage build that relies on cloak / image, healing ward is the only true burst heal you need once you achieve LOS which image and cloak generally do.

When played as a tankier brawler type or as a dedicated NB healer, the pure attrition game comes into play as you work around their incredibly potent hot uptime.

Blessing of restoration does not qualify as a burst heal in pvp. There are far better ways to heal allies especially as a nb, and there are far better ways to heal yourself. And if you want the minors, just throw on mirage and you wont even need to worry as much about burst heals.

Frankly speaking, NBs that prance around sheild stacking like impoverished mag sorcs always make me sigh. NB healing potency accross the board is exceptional, and its easy to determine the bad nbs from the good when coming across those that understand how to play around that unique strength.
    Edited by exeeter702 on January 29, 2018 10:39PM
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭

Mine are;

I play melee magblade most of the time, usually openworld/small group (4-6 max). My favourite setup atm is 5 Shackle, 4/5 War Maiden (5 on DW bar), Witchmothers Potent Brew. Solo/duo I use Malubeth - as soon as the beam procs I make sure I get funnel HOT running and it's very survivable. if I have a healer I run Grothdarr. Gets concealed tooltips in the high 10's Inbuffed, funnel high 8s, regen around 2k which I find I need with cloak and melee. I try to force ward to crit with cloak when I need a burst heal.

Bar 1: Cloak, Concealed, Lotus Fan, Concealed, Inner Light, Ult : Soul Tether
    Bar 2: Merciless, Funnel, Healing Ward, Fear, Mist Form, Ult : Lights Champion

I also swap Lotus for Crippling and Soul Tether for Soul Harvest quite often but I like Soul Tether and only have space for one siphoning ability usually - also Lotus Fan has a decent tooltip to add to burst but it's so hard cause I LOVE crippling grasp, it's so underrated :) I play in Australia and usually have 3-400 ping so find it hard to proc merciless for that combo so my usual combo would be Pot-Merciless-Cloak-Lotus Fan-LA-Concealed-Swap-Fear-Swap-Innerlight-Soul Tether-Cloak-Concealed then if they aren't dead I will start to back up a little while they are defensive with LA-Funnel- Weaves and react to the fight as it goes on.

Note: I will probably swap Mist back to Shade next patch with it working properly again, it is so good for avoiding damage :)
    Guild Leader Rats of Tobruk (RoT) DC PVP Guild
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Jacome Lightbringer (DC Templar)
    Jacome Gro-Longenfirm (DC Sorc)
    Baron Humbert Von Gikken (DC Warden)
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    jimijac0me wrote: »
    Note: I will probably swap Mist back to Shade next patch with it working properly again, it is so good for avoiding damage :)

@jimijac0me Will you dump Vamp altogether?
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are;

See I'd love to run lotus over cripple but you don't have a Siphoning skill for 8% mag I noticed?

Yeah the builds not by any means perfect. I'm rather uncomfortable in melee range
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are;

Yeah the builds not by any means perfect. I'm rather uncomfortable in melee range

Cripple is really a must have for any magblade out there imo. Especially when you replace it with a gap closer, which you should never do seeing how cripple itself sorta works as one.
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭
    @VirtualElizabeth - I don't think so, I love being a vamp, even IF those DB's hurt so much haha, I've been vamp since early days so kind of attached now and I feel like I'd be betraying all of those that I've bitten and brought into the fold :joy:

@Subversus on a melee build a gap closer is pretty great against streaking sorcs running away and reflecting dks though and probably the classes I'm strongest against usually, as I said though, I love cripple and agree with your comment in most circumstances. The worst thing I hate about lotus fan is in lag when you press it and nothing happens, you press it again then you just wind up lotus fanning over and over - I also do this when I'm playing drunk (most of the time! :joy: ) - most embarrassing!

TBH I think destro/resto is a stronger allpurpose kit regardless but dw melee more fun for me :)
    Guild Leader Rats of Tobruk (RoT) DC PVP Guild
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Jacome Lightbringer (DC Templar)
    Jacome Gro-Longenfirm (DC Sorc)
    Baron Humbert Von Gikken (DC Warden)
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'burst heal' in my case is and has always been healing ward. I have so much hps that it's usually more than enough. If it works for you, however, then why not! What did you drop to make room for it?

You guys are really starting to make me feel like no one reads what I post here >.>

So I was specifically using it on my tankier build which was destro/resto & using 1 pirate 1 chudan
    The duration of the minor buffs from blessing of restoration last longer than from mirage.
    Healing ward by itself never seemed like enough, maybe if you have swallow soul on the same bar, but I don't like being an easy target for opponents wearing shield breaker or stack lots into shattering cp tree

My bar setup was: (destro & resto)
    Sap, lotus, fear, crushing shock, mage light, meteor
    Cloak, blessing of restoration, impale, healing ward, merciless, lights champion

My bar setup now: (2h & resto)
    Sap, lotus, forward momentum, concealed, mage light, incap
    Cloak, refreshing path, fear, healing ward, merciless, lights champion

I don't use cripple because I don't put any cp points into thaumaturge
    I chose refreshing over blessing of restoration because refreshing has 3 different things it provides but with blessing I felt the minor buffs were less meaningful with lower resistances

Refreshing gives me a minor speed boost, a hot, & a dot (which I don't particularly care about but it's there)

The key imo, is to keep the hot up, make your opponent come to you (if 1v1 type scenario).

I use healing ward "strategically", meaning I use it when I don't want my opponents next attack to crit on me for big dmg. If they take down the shield, I don't get a heal, standing in path allows me to heal passively.
    Healing ward primarily becomes useful when at low health, so from 60%+ health, it's more efficient to just let the hot from path tick on you. I'm also a high elf not an Argonian, if I was an Argonian, maybe I could rely on healing ward more.
    Edited by kaithuzar on January 30, 2018 5:38AM
    Member of:

Former member of: