Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

MAGBLADE pvp theorycrafting

• Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    How are you melee magnbs finding the new Calurions and zaan sets? I know blobs discarded Calurions saying it was underwhelming but what are your thoughts?

I personally think zaan looks a bit pointless in an open world environment because let's say you are fighting a bunch of people and you burst the first person down, you have to wait like 15 seconds for it to proc again to give any benefit against the next person. I personally still think valkyn is better and it has aoe.

But yeah share your thoughts
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exodium wrote: »
    How are you melee magnbs finding the new Calurions and zaan sets? I know blobs discarded Calurions saying it was underwhelming but what are your thoughts?

I personally think zaan looks a bit pointless in an open world environment because let's say you are fighting a bunch of people and you burst the first person down, you have to wait like 15 seconds for it to proc again to give any benefit against the next person. I personally still think valkyn is better and it has aoe.

I do agree that cal is meh at best. Zaan, on the other hand... oh zaan. If you build around it, the set is top tier broken. But then again, it's only cancer in duels. I can't see it being viable in open world, no matter how much some people hype it up.
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »

I do agree that cal is meh at best. Zaan, on the other hand... oh zaan. If you build around it, the set is top tier broken. But then again, it's only cancer in duels. I can't see it being viable in open world, no matter how much some people hype it up.

are ranged destro mag nbs running zaan right now? or is the range too close?
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen caal hitting for over 7k on players. For Spinners 5pc to add that much damage to your burst you’d need a combo that hits for ~140k, even if it only hits for 5k then you’d need a 100k combo to get that level of burst increase. I don’t think that’s lackluster at all, I think it just fits DW mageblade better than 2h. If you’re building Caluurion as front bar burst then it’s usable.

Zaan on the other hand suits the 2h mageblade playstyle quite well.

The problem is the poor synergy between the two, since zaan requires kiting, tanking, or both between procs. This means that you’re wasting a lot of the caluu damage potential by either not proc’ing it on cooldown OR mid-proc’ing it when it’s not time to get your combo off. This doesn’t make caluu+zaan not viable, but it makes it much harder to line up the damage procs.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on March 2, 2018 12:37AM
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭

I'd say it's better on ranged than melee to be fair. You can keep a melee class locked down out of retaliation range, but still within the proc range, and they are boned.

Even so. I'm finding it to be less versatile and just less satisfying than my standard Shackle/Riposte/Domihaus 1pc combo. Same applies to any proc set. I don't think there's any that truly compliments the magblade style.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 0 resources, literally walked a DK to death with Zaan
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I had 0 resources, literally walked a DK to death with Zaan

B A L A N C E
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »

I'd say it's better on ranged than melee to be fair. You can keep a melee class locked down out of retaliation range, but still within the proc range, and they are boned.

Even so. I'm finding it to be less versatile and just less satisfying than my standard Shackle/Riposte/Domihaus 1pc combo. Same applies to any proc set. I don't think there's any that truly compliments the magblade style.

I'm actually quite enjoying skoria in no cp right now to be fair. If I'd go melee I'd probably swap skoria for zaan, but until then I'm sticking with destro/resto. Especially since I feel like destro/resto suits group play better than melee for BGs, imo melee is quite a selfish playstyle in that environment.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »

I'm actually quite enjoying skoria in no cp right now to be fair. If I'd go melee I'd probably swap skoria for zaan, but until then I'm sticking with destro/resto. Especially since I feel like destro/resto suits group play better than melee for BGs, imo melee is quite a selfish playstyle in that environment.

Imo, melee mageblade in BGs should drop incap for tether and find space for path. Then you just mark and focus stamblades and contribute to ulti dumps.

But yeah, destro/resto has much more group synergy
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Atm Zaan on melee MagBlade is like ordering a four-cheese pizza and then grinding parmesan cheese on top of it. To each their own, but I like my builds cancer free.

Currently rocking 5xAmber (body), 5xRattle front-bar (2h, chest, jewels), 1xDomi (shoulder), Maelstrom Resto. Dropping Entropy opens up the space for Rapid Regen which massively helps with both mag sustain and survivability.

Between Amber, Maelstrom Resto and Leeching Strikes you get to achieve sweet, sweet mag and stam sustain while also having great burst with 5 light and 2h.

Of course you lack the higher pressure of destro builds and it's a bit of a selfish single-target build, but it's pretty good at that. It's like a stamblade, but for magicka.

Edited by Maulkin on March 5, 2018 1:28PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    Atm Zaan on melee MagBlade is like ordering a four-cheese pizza and then grinding parmesan cheese on top of it. To each their own, but I like my builds cancer free.

Currently rocking 5xAmber (body), 5xRattle front-bar (2h, chest, jewels), 1xDomi (shoulder), Maelstrom Resto. Dropping Entropy opens up the space for Rapid Regen which massively helps with both mag sustain and survivability.

Between Amber, Maelstrom Resto and Leeching Strikes you get to achieve sweet, sweet mag and stam sustain while also having great burst with 5 light and 2h.

Of course you lack the higher pressure of destro builds and it's a bit of a selfish single-target build, but it's pretty good at that. It's like a stamblade, but for magicka.

Interesting, the problem whenever I try to work a build with rattle is poor sustain and max mag pool. What do your mag, stam, hp numbers look like?
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    Maulkin wrote: »

Interesting, the problem whenever I try to work a build with rattle is poor sustain and max mag pool. What do your mag, stam, hp numbers look like?

I’m not at home for a few days so can’t post a screenshot till the weekend unfortunately, but from what I recall I’m at ~36k magicka, ~21k hp and ~14k stamina in no CP (I mostly play BGs).

Mag pool is a bit low, but you can push it up to 39k-40k by picking Mage mundus in thr CP campaigns. I’m using tri food to complement my max stats and mag regen mundus (attro?). I’m slightly below 2k regen ,I believe at 1.9k or sth. That’s no vamp, no pot buffs, without the rapid regen/maelstrom buff and with a cost reduction glyph.

Sustain is fairly good in no CP. But mostly the heals are OP. Between Rapid Regen, FM, Leeching strikes heals and Health Regen... you get a pretty fat dollop of health every second you stay aggressive.

Edited by Maulkin on March 6, 2018 1:29PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, I shelved Zaan today and put it back in my bank to gather dust. Like most proc sets it feels too gimmicky to play around.

But the nail in the coffin? Now that more people are using it, I keep dying because I mistake their Zaan bem for mine and let it roast me :#