The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

MAGBLADE pvp theorycrafting

• lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »
    Abstraqt wrote: »
    Just scrolling through and thought of throw in my opinions, I only play mag nb so I hope it helps (they are just opinions, run whatever you like I'm just saying what I personally think)

Spinners is a waste, go warmaiden

Wizards reposte is a waste, you get the same thing from fear and shade (I saw the "what if you've got 5 people on you?" Argument and let's face it, you're dead either way.)

All you need is necropotence, willpower and a monster set

Dual wield does work but it's only alright for duels

Shacklebreaker is also really good

Whatever you're doing you need between 1.8-2.2k regen

Stacking into max mag is your best bet as it's super easy on a NB

Amber plasm > lich

Spell damage doesn't matter just get high max mag

Skoria or infernal for monster set

If you go destro get the masters inferno staff

Light armour all the way, heavy armour nb's had their time but it's gone now

If you want to go one piece undaunted sets just stack max mag again

The new gold clockwork city food or witchmothers brew for food/drink

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

Soul tether or soul harvest for ult front bar & resto ult back

Spam cripple to control people

Questions? I have various build vids on my channel and lots of vids showcasing them in various situations.

I play on ps4 EU so my answers are tailored for the players on that system, feel free to ask questions :)

v - one of my vids.

https://youtu.be/PBTT7-yQAUM
    @Abstraqt

Good insight! Just a few points I wanted to bring up.

1. Heavy armor magblade is quite strong still, ESPECIALLY in duels. You should give it a try ;)

2. "All you need is necro wp and a monster set" I'd love to see you manage stam on that. Not saying it isn't a strong duel setup, but open world, 0 stam regen tools and light will get you killed very fast. Necro willpower is absolutely not an open world setup.

3. Soul harvest is outclassed by incap even on magblade, and that's it. Nothing more on that. It does about the same damage AND it has a stun. Incap is the better choice EVEN if you run war maiden.

4. Infernal is a mediocre monster set no matter the setup. It's time has simply passed. What you should've said is "skoria or shadowrend or troll king".

5. I disagree on amber > lich. Lich can be one barred, amber can not. Amber gives stam sustain but lich gives like 3 times the mag sustain. You can't compare apples to oranges.

6. Wizard riposte is not a waste, it's a god set for open world. First of all, shade is single target. Secondly, fear's uptime on maim is negligible at best. Thirdly, having 5 people on you doesn't mean you're dead. It really depends on their skill, 2 experienced players alone can kill you np while 10 scrubs could be an easy target for you.

I'm sure that what you said works for you, all I'm saying is that you should probably be a little more open minded about different play styles and ideas when you come in a THEORYCRAFTING thread. This thread is meant for brainstorming and tips, not for "do this and nothing else because I said so".

Ps. Shackle willpower monster set > necro willpower monster set ;)

1. Heavy armor is garbage especially in duels
    2. Necro is the BiS for magblade hands down
    3. It doesnt do the same amount of dmg and Soul harvest is also undodgeable which makes it superior
    4. Why on earth would you use shadowrend or trollking on magblade over IG? Thats just nonesense
    5. Amber > every single day of the week and twice on a sunday
    6. Wizards is only good in group play. Other than that its not very good and takes away far too much dmg.

I very much doubt by your opinions that you can play a magblade very well. I know for a fact abstraqt can.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    so... i praise wrobel actually for the first time to make assessins will finaly unclunky :)

It's not so clunky anymore. Used to be far worse when it had a cast time, nowadays it's totally fine tbf.

well idk why maybe its lag or because im getting old... i often cancel the bow via doble press the skill... so for me its a buff
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will at least help my paranoia that causes me to delay when I weapon swap into merciless resolve. I’ve had happen often lately where I swapped bars after buffing and I count 5 light attacks weave and see them go off as I’m aware after weaving funnel health that sometimes abilities cancel the LA; only to find merciless hadn’t procced and I deactivated it. Annoying.

BTW. Wonder if shadow image is fixed. Some notes on it but doesn’t sound like the real issue. Someone said it works 3 out of 4 times for them. It doesn’t 3 out of 4 for me. If there’s a pebble in the way, forget about it
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭
    lynog85 wrote: »
    Just scrolling through and thought of throw in my opinions, I only play mag nb so I hope it helps (they are just opinions, run whatever you like I'm just saying what I personally think)

Wizards reposte is a waste, you get the same thing from fear and shade (I saw the "what if you've got 5 people on you?" Argument and let's face it, you're dead either way.)

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

Questions? I have various build vids on my channel and lots of vids showcasing them in various situations.

I play on ps4 EU so my answers are tailored for the players on that system, feel free to ask questions :)

v - one of my vids.

@Abstraqt

1. Heavy armor magblade is quite strong still, ESPECIALLY in duels. You should give it a try ;)

2. "All you need is necro wp and a monster set" I'd love to see you manage stam on that. Not saying it isn't a strong duel setup, but open world, 0 stam regen tools and light will get you killed very fast. Necro willpower is absolutely not an open world setup.

3. Soul harvest is outclassed by incap even on magblade, and that's it. Nothing more on that. It does about the same damage AND it has a stun. Incap is the better choice EVEN if you run war maiden.

4. Infernal is a mediocre monster set no matter the setup. It's time has simply passed. What you should've said is "skoria or shadowrend or troll king".

5. I disagree on amber > lich. Lich can be one barred, amber can not. Amber gives stam sustain but lich gives like 3 times the mag sustain. You can't compare apples to oranges.

6. Wizard riposte is not a waste, it's a god set for open world. First of all, shade is single target. Secondly, fear's uptime on maim is negligible at best. Thirdly, having 5 people on you doesn't mean you're dead. It really depends on their skill, 2 experienced players alone can kill you np while 10 scrubs could be an easy target for you.

I'm sure that what you said works for you, all I'm saying is that you should probably be a little more open minded about different play styles and ideas when you come in a THEORYCRAFTING thread. This thread is meant for brainstorming and tips, not for "do this and nothing else because I said so".

3. It doesnt do the same amount of dmg and Soul harvest is also undodgeable which makes it superior
    4. Why on earth would you use shadowrend or trollking on magblade over IG? Thats just nonesense
    6. Wizards is only good in group play. Other than that its not very good and takes away far too much dmg.

I very much doubt by your opinions that you can play a magblade very well. I know for a fact abstraqt can.

<3 thanks man!
  • Abstraqt
    Abstraqt
    ✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    Few highlights from the big ps4 EU dueling torny which was hosted last night, it showcases my current build of 5 necro 3 willpower & a monster set of your choice, I had to follow the torny rules so couldn't use any damaging monster sets :)

These fights were against some very good players so it proves magicka nb can still be very competitive with basic gear.

Thought I'd post this here if anyone was looking for some gameplay of a high end magicka NB build, this is just one of my set ups I like to use

https://youtu.be/15dzrg_9lBM

Sorry mate, no offense, but that's not "high end gameplay" by my opinion.
    To me, that's "standard", weaving a pve dps style rotation in a duel...everyone does that/has done that.
    High end would be killing & surviving with a minimum of 2-3 opponents on you. At least confusing/juke/kite them as a joke if they are too strong all at once.

I don't judge my gameplay by other people's standards, it's high end because on paper any one of those players could have killed me but they didn't. I do have 1vX clips to me it's more of an achievement killing an emp in a 1v1 than killing 3 low levels by running round a tree
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    so for a destro/restro mageblade amber+necro+1 domi is kinda bis now?!??!

thats really kinda new to me^^
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried out shrewd offering last night... Running a 5 heavy build with TK and very hot based. I'll have to say the skill is still stupid. In 1v1s it seemed ok I guess had to be careful to cast it at high hp. With more than 1 person on you it's wayyy to risky. And for those that say its a pve tool for healer idk man.... idk seems like it would suck.
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    akray21 wrote: »
    After reading through this thread it's become pretty apparent to me that magblade needs class access to at least one of the following:

1. A burst heal
    2. Snare removal (or suppression)

Magblade is hamstrung by needing to rely on resto for a burst heal (frankly a crappy one anyway), and 2H for snare removal.

Although I agree, we must be careful here. If magblade has access to these, so will the stamblades.

Not necessarily. You could build the snare removal into something like path of darkness, or blur. Though stamblades could use these abilities, they are not cheap and stamblades need to use their magicka to cloak and fear.

As for the burst heal they could repurpose (again) Malevolent Offering to be some sort of burst heal that costs magicka, which would be usless for a stamina NB.
  • Pijng
    Pijng
    ✭✭✭
    After reading through this thread it's become pretty apparent to me that magblade needs class access to at least one of the following:

1. A burst heal

Magblade is hamstrung by needing to rely on resto for a burst heal (frankly a crappy one anyway), and 2H for snare removal.

Although I agree, we must be careful here. If magblade has access to these, so will the stamblades.

Not necessarily. You could build the snare removal into something like path of darkness, or blur. Though stamblades could use these abilities, they are not cheap and stamblades need to use their magicka to cloak and fear.

As for the burst heal they could repurpose (again) Malevolent Offering to be some sort of burst heal that costs magicka, which would be usless for a stamina NB.

I'd like to see a little addition to 2nd morph of nb's evasion (not the Double Take one). Just add some snare removal on cast. Minor resistances from this morph doesn't make sense at all.
  • seanj87
    seanj87
    Pijng wrote: »

1. A burst heal

I'd like to see a little addition to 2nd morph of nb's evasion (not the Double Take one). Just add some snare removal on cast. Minor resistances from this morph doesn't make sense at all.

I agree with this. sNB already have snare immunity/removal for the medium armour skill. mNB have less dodge and no anti-snare making melee builds much more risky
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

@Abstraqt

If you say so, I'm sure you're a great player. As good as this abstraqt guy. :heart:
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so... i praise wrobel actually for the first time to make assessins will finaly unclunky :)

It's not so clunky anymore. Used to be far worse when it had a cast time, nowadays it's totally fine tbf.

Are you guys referring to live or PTS? They changed it on PTS, supposedly it's easier to use now but I haven't checked it out. Hopefully they haven't messed it up.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭

Are you guys referring to live or PTS? They changed it on PTS, supposedly it's easier to use now but I haven't checked it out. Hopefully they haven't messed it up.

The only change I know if is now if you recast the buff, it doesnt reset the number of procs on the bow.

I think they are referring to something like a year ago when assassins will had a cast time.
    Edited by Dreth on January 23, 2018 7:33PM
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

@Abstraqt

If you say so, I'm sure you're a great player. As good as this abstraqt guy. :heart:

Should somebody tell him soul harvest being undodgable is a bug that's being fixed next patch...
    I "almost" feel bad for breaking the news
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • SRASinister
    SRASinister
    ✭✭✭
    Should somebody tell him soul harvest being undodgable is a bug that's being fixed next patch...

I was so disappointed to see this on the pts notes because I thought it was intentional since incap had the stun.

Xbox One NA: Sins of Daemons
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I was so disappointed to see this on the pts notes because I thought it was intentional since incap had the stun.

I don't see this as a fixed bug, but as a nerf to magNB.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he meant clunky as in it used to have a clunky cast time attached to the proc, as well as the common bug where you'd reapply the merciless buff if you weaved it too fast after the 5th light attack. It's better either way on the PTS, albeit a lot easier and far more boring to use.

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

@Abstraqt

Yeah, it's a really sad choice. I can't find any reason to go soul harvest over incap next patch, especially when they hit about as hard and one has a stun while the other doesn't...
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what is the meta? Seems kind of murky. I'm trying to figure out how I can hit some of the numbers mentioned and Im now running 5 shackle, 5 necro, 1 Grothdar (don't have domi still. PvE Sucks) destro/resto and I'm sitting at 40k magicka with shade out, and just under 2k spell damage unbuffed, 2200 magicka recovery. Weapons are gold, gear is purple, enchants are purple. I'm running health plus mag regen food since my health sits at around 17 k without it (in cyrodiil)

Should I Go a little more spell damage and less regen?

As far as skills go; Im running all ranged most of the time and my big burst combo usually is get assassins will proc, flame reach>meteor>Assassins will>impale. Great when it works but there seems to be too much time from when flame reach hits to when meteor does where some are up and blocking before it lands. If I try meteor first then the KD; often flame reach is blocked as well.

I have been debating using fear to land the combo but that means I need to get in close and at that point; am I better to just go full melee and use soul harvest/incap in a combo more often rather than meteor? (I back bar the resto ult)

And advice is welcome.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    So what is the meta? Seems kind of murky. I'm trying to figure out how I can hit some of the numbers mentioned and Im now running 5 shackle, 5 necro, 1 Grothdar (don't have domi still. PvE Sucks) destro/resto and I'm sitting at 40k magicka with shade out, and just under 2k spell damage unbuffed, 2200 magicka recovery. Weapons are gold, gear is purple, enchants are purple. I'm running health plus mag regen food since my health sits at around 17 k without it (in cyrodiil)

As far as skills go; Im running all ranged most of the time and my big burst combo usually is get assassins will proc, flame reach>meteor>Assassins will>impale. Great when it works but there seems to be too much time from when flame reach hits to when meteor does where some are up and blocking before it lands. If I try meteor first then the KD; often flame reach is blocked as well.

I have been debating using fear to land the combo but that means I need to get in close and at that point; am I better to just go full melee and use soul harvest/incap in a combo more often rather than meteor? (I back bar the resto ult)

And advice is welcome.

I've been thinking of going riposte/shackle/1 domi for open world on destro/resto (or even 2h/resto).

I have a few problems I'm trying to solve first though.

First, I can't decide whether to use master staff and riposte backbar or vMA resto and riposte frontbar. Both have their benefits really.

Secondly I still can't decide over amber or shackle, but I guess I shackle's better cause of the full undaunted passives.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And advice is welcome.

I've been thinking of going riposte/shackle/1 domi for open world on destro/resto (or even 2h/resto).

First, I can't decide whether to use master staff and riposte backbar or vMA resto and riposte frontbar. Both have their benefits really.

Secondly I still can't decide over amber or shackle, but I guess I shackle's better cause of the full undaunted passives.

Yeah; Riposte/shackle is another way I have ran but do you run annulment with that? Felt like I could get away without it there but it didn't hit quite as hard as running necro obviously going from defense to offensive set yet I felt like I need annulment with necro. I was double barring riposte which I probably didn't have to but I currently don't have any of the 1 piece weapons so no real difference I suppose.
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running innate/lich/skoria and loving it.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And advice is welcome.

Yeah; Riposte/shackle is another way I have ran but do you run annulment with that? Felt like I could get away without it there but it didn't hit quite as hard as running necro obviously going from defense to offensive set yet I felt like I need annulment with necro. I was double barring riposte which I probably didn't have to but I currently don't have any of the 1 piece weapons so no real difference I suppose.

If I run it with master destro I will go with annulement, if I don't I'll swap out annulement for mutagen. That's what it's such a hard choice imo, both are good setups :D I know that a magblade named Heresya, one of the best magblades in PC EU runs/used to run this setup with resto backbar but idk really.
  • Pijng
    Pijng
    ✭✭✭

And advice is welcome.

If I run it with master destro I will go with annulement, if I don't I'll swap out annulement for mutagen. That's what it's such a hard choice imo, both are good setups :D I know that a magblade named Heresya, one of the best magblades in PC EU runs/used to run this setup with resto backbar but idk really.

Heresya The Last Magblade, if to be precise c:
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I've been running the 2 hander forward momentum build & am really having fun.
    5 war maiden front bar, 5 riposte back bar, 1 chudan, 1 kena, but if I had 1 domi I would replace kena
    I swapped blessing of restoration out for refreshing path as it gives some healing, some damage, and some minor speed boost; so it's generally been working. Also using incap on front bar.
    Sure I die a little more than my tanky build, but I'm melting almost all classes except warden.

To answer the question above, i believe you should hit meteor then flame clench/reach them before the meteor hits them; it's just a timing thing you have to practice.

@Subversus you guys are talking about what I would consider a really low damage build because you're not running a 5 piece damage set, I would definitely say master's staff to help you get kills faster. If you focus too much on survivability, then can you really say the build is all that different than these perma-blocking tanks? Yes there is an absolute need for good mitigation, heals, and resources, but I just don't see enough damage w/o master destro.

Edited by kaithuzar on January 24, 2018 3:58PM
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I've been running the 2 hander forward momentum build & am really having fun.
    5 war maiden front bar, 5 riposte back bar, 1 chudan, 1 kena, but if I had 1 domi I would replace kena
    I swapped blessing of restoration out for refreshing path as it gives some healing, some damage, and some minor speed boost; so it's generally been working. Also using incap on front bar.
    Sure I die a little more than my tanky build, but I'm melting almost all classes except warden.

To answer the question above, i believe you should hit meteor then flame clench/reach them before the meteor hits them; it's just a timing thing you have to practice.

@Subversus you guys are talking about what I would consider a really low damage build because you're not running a 5 piece damage set, I would definitely say master's staff to help you get kills faster. If you focus too much on survivability, then can you really say the build is all that different than these perma-blocking tanks? Yes there is an absolute need for good mitigation, heals, and resources, but I just don't see enough damage w/o master destro.

Do you run a shield with your 5 war maiden 5 riposte?
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaithuzar

Thing is that master destro doesn't really boost your damage at all, almost. Only thing, damage wise, that it does is give you like 2k bigger tooltip on an ability that should be used once every 6 seconds. Meanwhile vMA resto gives you very good sustain which in turn lets you play with the glyphs a bit more, focusing more on damage as opposed to sustain.
  • deevah
    deevah
    ✭✭
    I don't typically post on forums, but have been running a cloakless lizard with 5H/2L shackle/amber with vdsa fire/vma resto for a while with a lot of success, all spell dmg from mundus/glyphs. Because there's no cloak and image remains unreliable, the toon typically dies a snared-mosh-pit death.

I know many ppl rejected offering and its morphs outright, but if you get through an unforgiving learning curve it's got a strong place in a particular play-style. Front-loading one more HoT lets you ignore another players' aggressive combos, which is often when they're not prepared for a cc/will combo. Making it cheaper on pts makes it a no-brainer for a 25k+ health build.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you run a shield with your 5 war maiden 5 riposte?

For defense I run healing ward, refreshing path, defending resto staff, 1 chudan, 5 wizard riposte, and light's champion(resto ult), combine that with pots & I'm pretty well off
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaithuzar

Thing is that master destro doesn't really boost your damage at all, almost. Only thing, damage wise, that it does is give you like 2k bigger tooltip on an ability that should be used once every 6 seconds. Meanwhile vMA resto gives you very good sustain which in turn lets you play with the glyphs a bit more, focusing more on damage as opposed to sustain.

Yea man, if by using that resto staff you can swap a glyph for more spell damage that's probably preferred, i still think i would go with 1 reduce cost & the other 2 spell damage; i feel the 1 reduce cost just allows you to sustain so much better.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaithuzar

Yea man, if by using that resto staff you can swap a glyph for more spell damage that's probably preferred, i still think i would go with 1 reduce cost & the other 2 spell damage; i feel the 1 reduce cost just allows you to sustain so much better.

That's the thing really, I'm building this for open world. I already have my duel builds set up, but in open world I find that I really need a lot of damage reduction nowadays. Riposte being the best set in that regard is what makes it so interesting really.